Game 49 - Montreal @ Pittsburgh - January 27th - 7 pm

GHT120

1 hour ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

Guhle scoring off the rush down by the net…puck delivered from blue line by his D partner.

The 10,000th road goal in franchise history.

7 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Suzuki seems unusually “off” tonight…I wonder if he’s looking ahead to the all-star break.

I suspect he needs some downtime to get his energy levels back up.

29 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I’ve been thinking for some time that he looks like the first “odd man out” from the crop of D that’s emerged during the rebuild. I’m just not seeing the smarts and efficiency I thought I saw in his game last year. You do have to factor in the ol’ sophomore jinx, but he looks more and more like another one of those Mete types who scratch out a borderline career, rather than be a legit regular.

The benefit of having serious defensive depth is that talent will rise and players like Harris (who is pretty good) will get pushed out. 

Small sample but at this point I’d say Struble has already passed him and look what is cooking Laval. 

6 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

I suspect he needs some downtime to get his energy levels back up.

17 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Suzuki seems unusually “off” tonight…I wonder if he’s looking ahead to the all-star break.

He certainly needs rest no doubt but I wonder if Suzuki misses Slafkovsky 

At the last update (4 minutes to go in the third) Harris and Kovacevic were the best two players (not defencemen, players) on the team tonight at 66% xGF.   

But Harris stinks? Is the odd man out? What games are you all watching?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Commandant said:

At the last update (4 minutes to go in the third) Harris and Kovacevic were the best two players (not defencemen, players) on the team tonight at 66% xGF.   

But Harris stinks? Is the odd man out? What games are you all watching?

He isn’t out but there is pressure from our system on him - consider the players that are challenging for his spot in the coming years. 

Harris is the one who has been sitting and not Struble doesn’t that say something?

That pass by Crosby for the tying goal was absolutely sick. What a master.

Savard made a brilliant defensive play on his belly in the last 20 seconds of the third…worthy of the great Hal Gill, LOL.

Monahan was really our #1C tonight, as Suzuki has a down game by his impressive standards.

Frustrating conclusion, but hanging on to W or L in OT has kind of been this group’s modus operandi, so whatever.

14 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

He isn’t out but there is pressure from our system on him - consider the players that are challenging for his spot in the coming years. 

Harris is the one who has been sitting and not Struble doesn’t that say something?

Harris has left me “meh” this season but that’s purely my amateur eye test. Happy to be proven wrong, But yes, Struble seems to have passed him, and rightly so IMHO - although who knows, the sophomore jinx may bite his butt as well next season.

48 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

It wasnt you saying he was having a shit game.

We want to discuss his place with all the defencemen in the system.  Sure thats a good, honest debate on the subject.

When someone says Harris is having a shit game and that isnt consistent with my eye test or the numbers, it's just showing bias.  

Suzuki - caufield -andersson.... xg numbers in the toilet through two games together

Slaf - monahan - armia...xG through the roof.

Now i get moving slaf, we needed a second line.  So keep that together.

That said, Anderson cannot play with Suzuki and Caufield.  Ive seen it enough for 3 years to know he doesnt work on that line.... try RHP, Ylonen, Pearson or literally anyone else.

• Upvote 2

Yeah, trading Slafkovsky for Anderson is not going to improve things. But Suzuki and Caufield were also playing against Crosby and Malkin, and that would have contributed to their crappy xGF% stats as well.

10 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Suzuki - caufield -andersson.... xg numbers in the toilet through two games together

Slaf - monahan - armia...xG through the roof.

Now i get moving slaf, we needed a second line.  So keep that together.

That said, Anderson cannot play with Suzuki and Caufield.  Ive seen it enough for 3 years to know he doesnt work on that line.... try RHP, Ylonen, Pearson or literally anyone else.

Geez - how much of a driver of play has Slaf become?

It’s interesting to contemplate whether all the love Monahan is getting is *partly* inflated by having Slaf on his line. If you listen to HNIC, you’d assume it’s the other way around, that Monahan is helping Slaf. In fact, I think Galley said exactly that tonight.

As for Anderson with CC/Suze, yeah. It should work but it doesn’t - as is true of a lot of things having to do with Anderson, it seems. Probably the issue is that both Suzuki and Anderson need to carry the puck and drive the rush in order to be effective. (Of course, Suzuki is vastly better at it than Anderson).

37 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

Yeah, trading Slafkovsky for Anderson is not going to improve things. But Suzuki and Caufield were also playing against Crosby and Malkin, and that would have contributed to their crappy xGF% stats as well.

They were better this game than against the Isles and they were still bad tonight.  Anderson doesn't work there 

10 minutes ago, Commandant said:

They were better this game than against the Isles and they were still bad tonight.  Anderson doesn't work there 

100% agreed on that.

1 hour ago, Commandant said:

It wasnt you saying he was having a shit game.

We want to discuss his place with all the defencemen in the system.  Sure thats a good, honest debate on the subject.

When someone says Harris is having a shit game and that isnt consistent with my eye test or the numbers, it's just showing bias.  

He's constantly losing physical battles in his own end, and looking like he's lost when the pressure is on.  I don't know what stat measured him being great, but the eye test tells me something different about him multiple times per game.

If all of that is happening? Why did the Habs generate scoring chances for at nearly double the rate vs scoring chances against.

He was 66% xG.  Meaning that if goaltending was equal for both teams (at league average).  The Habs should outscore the Pens 2-1 while hes on the ice.

3 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

It’s interesting to contemplate whether all the love Monahan is getting is *partly* inflated by having Slaf on his line. If you listen to HNIC, you’d assume it’s the other way around, that Monahan is helping Slaf. In fact, I think Galley said exactly that tonight.

As for Anderson with CC/Suze, yeah. It should work but it doesn’t - as is true of a lot of things having to do with Anderson, it seems. Probably the issue is that both Suzuki and Anderson need to carry the puck and drive the rush in order to be effective. (Of course, Suzuki is vastly better at it than Anderson).

Problem with Anderson is he really can’t play with anyone. He doesn’t know what to do when he doesn’t have the puck. He can’t pass, has zero hockey sense.But hey he is big. He can skate pretty good in a straight line, for a big man. He can shoot - not necessarily score. But did I mention he is big. He is zero chemistry with almost anyone he plays with, but hey is a big guy, so he will keep getting prime chances in the lineup.

6 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Yeah I was complaining about Garry Galley!

I think it’s pretty simple - Slafkovsky gets moved to the first line and that line improves significantly, Slafkovsky gets moved and the Suzuki line goes back to crap. Although part of this is useless Anderson, whom I continue to complain about. 

Slafkovsky gets put with Monahan and that lines stats go through the roof - Slafkovsky is the difference 

Galley spews uneducated nonsense which is much like Sportsnet’s analysis on a lot of stuff. Just one week ago those experts were calling for Slafkovsky to be on the 4th line because he sucks. 🤡

Suzuki has been poor for more than just this game, likely burnt out and perhaps nursing an ailment of sorts.

Be is an iron man but perhaps he needs to be rested and healed up, when he isn’t driving that line CC has hard time driving offense.

Anderson def doesn’t seem to fit with them but the bashing he takes on here is ridiculous, cam’t pass? One of the nicest set ups of the year just this week on Monahan’s winner.

is he elite passer? No, is he a legit NHL passer and overall player, #### yeah. Team has been shit for two years so evaluating anyone is tough, but he was huge in playoff runs and if given some consistent time with good players will likely be a consistent 20-25  goal man, that’s not nothing.

Way too much dead weight on the forward group, Anderson is not one of them.  You’d think he was the worst player on the team given the talk on here from “fans”, meanwhile about half of the forward geiup

has produced less in past month or two and there an many other well paid fw’s not producing and actually hurting the team: looking at Gally…

Give #14 a break, need an “injury” to keep him home from all star bs, but he will be there and be an excellent team rep, the guy is a beauty 

3 hours ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

Yeah I was complaining about Garry Galley!

I think it’s pretty simple - Slafkovsky gets moved to the first line and that line improves significantly, Slafkovsky gets moved and the Suzuki line goes back to crap. Although part of this is useless Anderson, whom I continue to complain about. 

Slafkovsky gets put with Monahan and that lines stats go through the roof - Slafkovsky is the difference 

Galley spews uneducated nonsense which is much like Sportsnet’s analysis on a lot of stuff. Just one week ago those experts were calling for Slafkovsky to be on the 4th line because he sucks. 🤡

I think Galley hates Montreal, because we beat him in the Finals. I totally agree with an earlier post by someone that that Galley and Healy are useless. I’m not sure how the USA networks always seem to get marquee players, while HNIC usually gets former grunts and spare parts.

So now we start the wasted week. I have no interest at all in the all-star game and feel it should be eliminated. Those 7 days could break up 7 back to back games for every team. 

19 minutes ago, johnnyhasbeen said:

So now we start the wasted week. I have no interest at all in the all-star game and feel it should be eliminated. Those 7 days could break up 7 back to back games for every team. 

I’ve heard it said the All Star game is for two types of people: the NHL’s sponsors, for whom it is basically a week of fellatio, and for kids who just love seeing all the stars in one place.

Funny thing is, despite my great age I remember being a kid; and yes, it was exciting to see all the big names facing off in those splashy uniforms in this hyped-up event; but I also remember being bored by the game after a few minutes.🤷‍♂️

It might have been worth replacing the All Star nonsense with the Heritage Classic as a true marquee events back before those things became sort of tired and overdone. But anyway, since money is involved, nothing meaningful will change.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, hab29RETIRED said:

I’m not sure how the USA networks always seem to get marquee players, while HNIC usually gets former grunts and spare parts.

One factor may be which players retire to live in Canada versus the US.