Monahan Traded to Winnipeg for 2024 1st+

After the Lindholm trade I was hoping for at least a forward prospect with legit Top 6 potential ... hope they plan to use the pick(s) to move up at the draft or as part of a trade for an NHL ready Top 6 forward. 

This is potentially quite important ... Hughes may not be finished.

2 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

This is potentially quite important ... Hughes could still use the remaining slot this season (and, unfortunately, one next year) to move Allen or Savard

7 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

This is potentially quite important ... Hughes may not be finished.

This trade also opens another contract slot that can be used to take on an expiring contract and clear cap space for another team, or on a college free agent, or a waiver claim, etc...  

• Like 1

It's a good return. Problem is, the Lindholm deal sort of primed me to expect more. That's not HuGo's fault, though! This is very sound asset management by the Habs. 

Keeping in mind our earlier discussions, we should keep our eyes peeled for the possibility of this pick eventually being flipped for a player in the 20-23 age range, as this seems to be the preferred target given where we are in the rebuild.

• Like 1

Wow, I don't like the trade at all.  After Lindholm was moved for a crazy amount I can't help but think that Hughes could have gotten more for MoneyHands.  i.e. all the Habs get is a 1st rnd pick, because the condition on the 3rd rnd pick is the Jets win the Cup, which is highly unlikely.  One 1st rnd pick isn't really that much considering that Sean plays C and F and is useable in a bunch of scenarios.  

3 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

It's a good return. Problem is, the Lindholm deal sort of primed me to expect more. That's not HuGo's fault, though! This is very sound asset management by the Habs. 

Keeping in mind our earlier discussions, we should keep our eyes peeled for the possibility of this pick eventually being flipped for a player in the 20-23 age range, as this seems to be the preferred target given where we are in the rebuild.

this is a very good return for a rental, good job by HughGort!

Now, they should get a filler center on waivers or AHL two-way player from another team instead of handicapping the Rocket

Opens him up to a return in the summer if the conditional is based upon winning the cup and not resigning. 

I would welcome him back as he seems to be a good mentor for the younger players. 

Sending him to Winnipeg  and testing the Jets waters vs say Boston or NYR or Dallas does help with a possible but highly unlikely re-sign in the off-season. But,  stranger things have happened.

27 minutes ago, Commandant said:

I think this is an excellent return for Monahan.  

Is it though? A 1st round pick was always the likely return provided Monohan returned to health and form. He showed last year and TY, that he never lost his form and only needed to remain healthy.

The 3rd roumder is a wash unless jets do the unthinkable and win it all.

Given the return for Lindolm... it this just seems like we left potential assets on the table just to make a deal. 

Here's to hoping we can secure his services again in the off-season.

6 minutes ago, IN THE HEARTS OF MEN said:

Is it though? A 1st round pick was always the likely return provided Monohan returned to health and form. He showed last year and TY, that he never lost his form and only needed to remain healthy.

The 3rd roumder is a wash unless jets do the unthinkable and win it all.

Given the return for Lindolm... it this just seems like we left potential assets on the table just to make a deal. 

Here's to hoping we can secure his services again in the off-season.

Prior to the Lindholm trade, consensus was a 1st or 2nd was going to be the return.  So the 1st wasn't guaranteed.  By the expectations to what Montreal actually got, this is an excellent deal.

Montreal ended up getting 2 1sts, potentially 3rd and 74 games of service for taking on a cap dump.  That's probably the best case scenario.

9 minutes ago, TurdBurglar said:

Prior to the Lindholm trade, consensus was a 1st or 2nd was going to be the return.  So the 1st wasn't guaranteed.  By the expectations to what Montreal actually got, this is an excellent deal.

Montreal ended up getting 2 1sts, potentially 3rd and 74 games of service for taking on a cap dump.  That's probably the best case scenario.

So now considering the Lindholm trade, and how expectations evolved from that deal 48 hours ago. How can this not feel underwhelming. 

14 minutes ago, TurdBurglar said:

exactly! 👍

6 minutes ago, IN THE HEARTS OF MEN said:

So now considering the Lindholm trade, and how expectations evolved from that deal 48 hours ago. How can this not feel underwhelming. 

The consensus return was below what they actually got.  It was expected to get between a 1st and 2nd, they got a 1st+, even if it is conditional.  Getting more than expected isn't underwhelming.

I very well doubt you're going to hear anyone say this wasn't a good trade from Montreal.  There's a post from Brian a couple of weeks ago where he was confident Montreal wasn't getting even a 1st for Monahan.

9 minutes ago, IN THE HEARTS OF MEN said:

I don't get why some people here are thrilled with the return either.  I was hoping it would be more than just one 1st rnd pick - which is likely all they will get out of it.  The maximum scenario is they get picks:  1-32 and 3-32.  I would have preferred the trade to include a mid tier prospect that has attributes that their other prospects lack.

26 minutes ago, TurdBurglar said:

Montreal ended up getting 2 1sts, potentially 3rd and 74 games of service for taking on a cap dump. 

While that is true it doesn't change that it seems the Jets underpaid to get him.  i.e. Sean was #3 of top available players at the trade deadline so they should have been able to get more than one 1st for him.   

The good thing is the Habs can still potentially do more moves because they didn't retain any salary.  

I have to wonder what part Sean had in the decision?  Are the Jets a team Sean chose so Hughes took less to get him where he wanted to go?

1 hour ago, Sir_Boagalott said:

Wow, I don't like the trade at all.  After Lindholm was moved for a crazy amount I can't help but think that Hughes could have gotten more for MoneyHands.  i.e. all the Habs get is a 1st rnd pick, because the condition on the 3rd rnd pick is the Jets win the Cup, which is highly unlikely.  One 1st rnd pick isn't really that much considering that Sean plays C and F and is useable in a bunch of scenarios.  

I was hoping for more because of the Lindholm trade as well, but don’t forget that Flames took back $5m in salary for a guy who wasn’t being played by Vancouver - regardless of whether or not the Flames actually wanted Kuzmenko. The Canucks had been trying to move him for quite a while.

• Like 1

• tomh009 changed the title to Monahan Traded to Winnipeg for 2024 1st+