Roy not a fan of Latendresse

chief_balthor

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Bout time someone realizes that..

Hmm.....to me the minors mean nothing... *Jason Ward...best player in the ahl when he was there...and what did he do in the big club?* I recall him being pretty bad, when he scored all those points in the AHL

Now your turn...:)

I think you totally missed the point. Can you agree that Lats playing in junior...not the AHL is good for his development at his current skill level? If the answer is yes...then we disagree. If the answer is no...then we agree and the only other possible destination for the kid is the NHL and not the AHL. By all means...I think Lats should be in the minors but he shouldn't be in juniors.

If you think guys that simply go through the motions in the minors deserve call ups over guys that deserve it like Lapierre; then I can't understand your pholosophy.

Anyone think Ryder should get bumped when Higgins comes back?

Johnson-Bonk-Ryder would be a nice, solid line...

Johnson and Ryder are the only two right-handed shots on the forwards. They won't play on the same line, neither will Johnson be switched to LW.

Baaaah....

I've just heard the actual audio quote. Roy had nothing offensive in his tone, it was said more in jest than anything. All the journalists in the room were laughing out loud.

And I've just heard the andio answer from Latendresse. The journalists were really trying to set him up, and again Latendresse was answering with jokes.

This is such a big story based on nothing. Idiot journalists...

come on guys! move on!!!

roy was ironic when he said it out... medias over reacted (conscious of it) so the fans can over-react...

kinda tired of this kind of *news*...

No one is really right or wrong on this thread. I wish Lats was scoring every game too, like that friggin Malkin guy. But I'm definatly not bummed out about his slow progress. He is going to be great. He admits that he is a garbage goal kind of player. He just needs to find his rhythm. Man O man can he POUND people though. Has anyone noticed that everytime he hits someone they are left Wonky. Kotsy can't do that.

Patrick....Patrick....Patrick !

I respect Patrick Roy immensely as a player, if you love hockey and the Habs you have to, but when will this man learn to keep his damn mouth shut ! Even if the comment was very flippant, Roy lacks couth on the most basic level and we all know it. To say that Lats is there because he is a Francophone is an immature cheap shot that seems to thankfully missed hitting him. Now I haven't heard anything else and am only referencing the link from TSN (which we like to call Tornto Sports Network...lol) But if Carbonneau says he's earned a spot then he's earned a spot and we will see why.....

But if Carbonneau says he's earned a spot then he's earned a spot and we will see why.....

You say it and what I find pretty ridicilous is that Carbo has to justify his move all the time, already more than a month right now. They're asking him the same questions about Lats all the time - heck, Carbo made it pretty clear after training camp that Lats beat out Kost and that he got the shot with the NHL team because of his performance and not because he's from Quebéc. I mean, you can have a different look at Lats current performance but that doesn't change anything from Carbo's decision at training camp.

I agree with Patrick Roy completely... however, I was quite impressed with the mature response from Latendresse. Although it doesn't change my mind towards the situation.

Same here.

Personally, I think Carbo is in a bad situation. I think he took a chance on Lats, and it is not working out very well. Since people are pointing at the French issue, he is really trying hard to get Lats going.

Sometimes people don't like to admit they made a mistake. I think Carbo made a mistake in his original decision on Lats (with Gainey) and is not ready to admit it. I see no other reason for all the first line, PP, and shootout chances he has been given. If he left him on the 4th line to continue to work and develop, it would make more sense to cling to the "no point sending him to jrs. arugument"

Frankly, I believe Carbo and Gainey made two mistakes in player evaluations this year. Lats and Pleks. I think they overrated both of them, leading them to trade Ribs for a struggling defenseman (instead of a deal to get a different center) and promoting lats up the chain too early.

Of course, they are only human, and if it had worked out differently, we would be calling them geniuses. :)

It took a while for them to reverse the Pleks promote (although we are still short a center). I wonder how long before Lats is back on the 4th line. I don't think that goal is going to do it. If he wants to stay up, he needs to generate some offense on the first line. The next few games will be very big games for Lats.

As for Roy, he was not bashing Lats, just stating the obvious, in a joking way. I bet you anything he would buy Lats a beer given the chance. As for Lat's response.. not bad, but I prefer he replies on the ice. Maybe Roy was lighting a fire under him. ;)

I watched the last 3 games with my best friend, my brother and his friend. We are all habs fans and long (age) in the tooth.

I guess the 4 of us are wrong, the supporters in this forum are wrong and Latendresse is a no good after all (sarcasm). What were we thinking? :wacko:

Edited by ATHLÉTIQUE.CANADIEN

Personally, I think Carbo is in a bad situation. I think he took a chance on Lats, and it is not working out very well. Since people are pointing at the French issue, he is really trying hard to get Lats going.

Sometimes people don't like to admit they made a mistake. I think Carbo made a mistake in his original decision on Lats (with Gainey) and is not ready to admit it. I see no other reason for all the first line, PP, and shootout chances he has been given. If he left him on the 4th line to continue to work and develop, it would make more sense to cling to the "no point sending him to jrs. arugument"

Frankly, I believe Carbo and Gainey made two mistakes in player evaluations this year. Lats and Pleks. I think they overrated both of them, leading them to trade Ribs for a struggling defenseman (instead of a deal to get a different center) and promoting lats up the chain too early.

Of course, they are only human, and if it had worked out differently, we would be calling them geniuses. :)

It took a while for them to reverse the Pleks promote (although we are still short a center). I wonder how long before Lats is back on the 4th line. I don't think that goal is going to do it. If he wants to stay up, he needs to generate some offense on the first line. The next few games will be very big games for Lats.

As for Roy, he was not bashing Lats, just stating the obvious, in a joking way. I bet you anything he would buy Lats a beer given the chance. As for Lat's response.. not bad, but I prefer he replies on the ice. Maybe Roy was lighting a fire under him. ;)

Well put :)

maybe Roy should mind his own ******* business for once.

maybe his comments were supposed to be jokes, maybe they weren't...

the fact lives: a 41 yeras old man taking cracks at a 19 year old rookie..just shows how mature the guy is.

I have alot of respect for his achievements and he was my idol as a kid but he should shut up now.

I strongly believe that the reason why Roy is so pissed off is that he wanted latendresse if he returned in junior but won't...of course, he'll never admit it and it'll never be proven.

I liked Roy when he was in Montreal, he was a superstar and probably one of the greatest (if not the greatest) goalie in NHL history. That being said, I will never forgive him for the way he left the Habs. He no longer has my respect and he should definitely shut his ******* face!

Maybe Lats isn't really ready for the NHL .. but he can't go anywhere now ... so it's up to him to play the best he can and learn as quickly as he can ... it's also up to the coaching staff to teach him and get him to understand what it takes and put it on the ice game in and game out ... that will make Roy shut up and probably even apologize for that little comment.

Roy is entitled to his opinion, dont think it was classless from him, not classy neither, just typical Roy. I'm impressed by the way Lats handled himself and responded. More experienced people have shrunk down in front of Roy much more easily (Roenick, Nolan, etc)

BTW, the Kosty-Lats thing is funny. They were put in competition against each other at camp and Lats won. Big deal.

Perezhogin, Higgins, Plekanec, Kostitsyn... they all got a go-around on offensive lines last and this year. Who stuck? Higgins, because he kept and earned his place. Dont give me this crap about who should or should'nt be there and who got more or better chances.

Can't you just enjoy the fact that the Habs are a team loaded with promising young offensive talent that can't all make it at the same time? Or are you the type of fans that is never happy with anything, ever? There's about 25 other teams in the league who should envy our crop of forward prospects.

Perspective people, perspective...

Well said Kozed, perspective is something all too often lacking from media and some HW members. Lets just be happy that Lats cranked up his game and is meeting all challenges head on while facing a ton of pressure. The class-- or lack thereof-- demonstrated by M. Roy is actually immaterial. What does mattter is that Lats is dealing with the BS generated in the media, as a result of the comments, with eloquence and class. So far, I am impressed with his progression on the ice and his conduct (what I know of it) off the ice. In'shallah (God willing) both will continue to be impressive

why would he be here when Kostitsyn been waiting for his chance for at least 2 more years then him

What Montreal needs right now is a big, strong, agressive, talented forward that puts in effort every game. Someone like Smythe. No offense to Kostitsyn, but Peryzogen is probably filling his roll at the moment.

I liked Roy when he was in Montreal, he was a superstar and probably one of the greatest (if not the greatest) goalie in NHL history. That being said, I will never forgive him for the way he left the Habs. He no longer has my respect and he should definitely shut his ******* face!

Yes, Roy has a big mouth and was always too cocky, and I don't agree with what he said about Latendresse, but blaming him for the way he left the habs :huh: ???? How about blaming Tremblay for totally humiliating the best player on the team (Roy). Tremblay had problems with lots of players: Roy, Turgeon, etc. It wasn't because Roy abandoned the team, it's because Tremblay had NO clue what he was doing behind the bench. I can blame Roy for a lot of things: being too full of it, domestic violence calls, but not for how he left the habs, that was Tremblay's (and Houle's and Corey's) fault.

I'll be honest...I was too young to truly remember what happened...I was only 10 or something. But I had always heard that he left the habs blaming everyone but himself for his poor performace. I assumed this was because he was a cocky bastard, but I could be wrong. Come to think of it...it may have been everyone's fault cuz he went to Colorado and won the cup the next year so...I'll shut up now :D

Edited by cfposi