Jump to content

Ryan Poehling


Recommended Posts

5 minutes ago, Neech said:

 

Big Dick Nick The Nature Of Things Suzuki

There you go, might be a bit wordy though.

 

49 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Don’t know about you, but I don’t think it’s right to throw another Japanese name at Suzuki.  Yeah I get it , Suzuki and Kawasaki are boy motor cycle makers, but we’re not taking about a nickname here.

I dont know, people just seem so friggin touchy these days. Whoever wrote it am pretty sure wasn't trying to disparage lil Nicky.

 

I hope Poehling does get something positive out of practicing with team but being forced to watch from pressbox. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well, my daddy left home when I was three And he didn't leave much to ma and me Just this old guitar and an empty bottle of booze   Now I don't blame him 'cause he run and hid But the meanest

I'm a little surprised he hasn't had a chance (I thought a fourth line, big body presence in Weise's spot was a role for him, especially against Pittsburgh) but I'm not surprised Evans and Belzile are

Posted Images

15 minutes ago, DON said:

... I hope Poehling does get something positive out of practicing with team but being forced to watch from pressbox. 

 

I agree ... hopefully it is a "slap in the face" to kickstart him ... 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Poehling has done ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to warrant a roster spot, Zero, zilch, nada. Therefore he should not have a roster spot. This has nothing to do with CJ being stodgy and everything to do with Poehling being a complete crap NHLer at this stage of his career. The end.

 

Well, "complete crap" is a bit much, but for sure he's not ready. Evans and Belzile are much closer today.

 

In a year or two, the situation could be a lot different.

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

 

Well, "complete crap" is a bit much, but for sure he's not ready. Evans and Belzile are much closer today.

 

In a year or two, the situation could be a lot different.

 

Considering that Evans, Belzile, and Weisse are fringe NHLers, and he is below them on the depth chart, I think "complete crap" is a fair descriptor of Poehling as an NHLer right now.

 

Not at all a claim about his overall merits as a prospect, however. I'm agnostic about that, but suspect that we are looking at a bottom-6 player whose ceiling has been vastly overblown by fans because of one freak hat-trick.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Considering that Evans, Belzile, and Weisse are fringe NHLers, and he is below them on the depth chart, I think "complete crap" is a fair descriptor of Poehling as an NHLer right now.

 

Not at all a claim about his overall merits as a prospect, however. I'm agnostic about that, but suspect that we are looking at a bottom-6 player whose ceiling has been vastly overblown by fans because of one freak hat-trick.

 

While I might choose different words, I do agree with your assessment!

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

"Nature Boy" is probably the best we can do if we want to play off the David Suzuki angle.

 

Knowing players today, his actual nickname will be "Nicky" 😩

I think they actually call him "Suzy".

Link to post
Share on other sites
Well, my daddy left home when I was three
And he didn't leave much to ma and me
Just this old guitar and an empty bottle of booze
 
Now I don't blame him 'cause he run and hid
But the meanest thing that he ever did
Was before he left he went and named me Sue
 
(...)
 
And he said, "Son, this world is rough
And if a man's gonna make it he's gotta be tough
And I know I wouldn't be there to help you along
So I gave that name and I said goodbye
I knew you'd have to get tough or die
And it's that name what helped to make you strong"
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, DON said:

I think they actually call him "Suzy".

Perfect example of the sorry state of NHL nicknames ... with rare exceptions like Tuna.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, DON said:

There you go, might be a bit wordy though.

 

I dont know, people just seem so friggin touchy these days. Whoever wrote it am pretty sure wasn't trying to disparage lil Nicky.

 

I hope Poehling does get something positive out of practicing with team but being forced to watch from pressbox. 


Thanks, nice to have some backup haha.

I def was not trying to slam Suzuki. Was just quickly looking for  a name that has been uncommonly used that also flowed with KK (in the original sentence) so I went for alliteration with the triple K’s.
 

Seems everyone knew who I was referring to so all good there, but didn’t anticipate the over analysis of it.

Kind of funny, I wouldn’t even have thought of it as a slag. Proper names only from now on for me.

 

Go Habs Go!!!

 

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

"Nature Boy" is probably the best we can do if we want to play off the David Suzuki angle.

 

Knowing players today, his actual nickname will be "Nicky" 😩

 

 

 

theres only one Nature Boy

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/17/2020 at 12:15 PM, IN THE HEARTS OF MEN said:

 

 

BUT Suzuki and KK are passing these tests with flying colors So far... KK  I though was our best player last night and Suzuki as been a phenom with his 200 ft game.

It's time to take some more tests! Poehling or Fleury is next...

 

This is not 80's 90's hockey anymore. The NHL is now  a young man's game. They have taken over the league with speed and skill.

Spare me the assumptions/ presumptions on PoehIing, cause thats all it is, an assumption. None of us know anything about what Poehling can bring in a game "today" until he's given minutes in an actual game.

 

Especially with the feel good story development of KK and Suzuki. 

 

Young and Hungry...  No risk No reward

 

 

 

I agree.  The two 20 year olds are lighting it up, thats why I want to Poehling to get a chance - even if its just 1 game.  Since the 1st lockout and cap having young players playing in the NHL is huge and helps teams be competitive due to the $850K cap max.  

 

No matter what someone thinks about Poehling it is an assumption and thats another reason why I want to see him play.   They wont find out his capabilities by sitting him in these games.   Plus this is a bonus playoffs, which the Habs are unlikely to have ever again.   If the Habs had made the playoffs legitimately there would be more reason to not play him. 

 

I'd love to find out if Poehling can play like KK and Suzuki in big games.  If the Habs play him and he steps up like they have the more likely the Habs could have a magical Cinderella Cup run.  For that to happen the Habs need another unexpected player to step right up. 

 

I feel that Poehling is the most interesting eligible prospect that they arent playing.  He has the most potential out of any of them, and more experience in big games.  He was made Team USA's 1st line C in the WJ tourney and won MVP centre.  I just dont believe that was just a fluke and he's a bottom 6 guy. 

 

Similarly, Romanov was the top d-man in WJ and I dont hear people saying that was a fluke and he'll only be a bottom 4 dman. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Dont overrate one tournament over two weeks.  The fact is romanov has shown his ability at two different WJCs plus two seasons playing against men in the KHL.

 

Poehlings college and AHL/nhl results this past season are a lot less impressive.  I watch a lot of prospects and I can say Poehling does not look like a player who is NHL ready while Romanov does.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

Im peraonally not over rating anyone. 

I just want him to get a game in. If we can all watch Weise for a series. Then comment on how much better Evans is then him, explain Juliens thought process that going with Weise over Evans was because he gave us a better chance to win. 

 

Then in the same breath tell me how after watching Hudon over +100 games in the NHL is better then the unknown of Poehling? It isnt! We got exactly what we've seen from Hudon over the last 3 seasons. Sure a couple nice hits here and some forechecking pressure but that was really it. 

 

Belzile was an unknown coming into these playoffs and has gotten a chance to make an impact. He had a golden chance to tie last game and missed the net (that was a shame)

 

Again hes our best prospect not dressed. Unless he's just unfit to play, I'm shocked that he's literally our last undressed forward.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Commandant said:

Dont overrate one tournament over two weeks.  The fact is romanov has shown his ability at two different WJCs plus two seasons playing against men in the KHL.

 

Poehlings college and AHL/nhl results this past season are a lot less impressive.  I watch a lot of prospects and I can say Poehling does not look like a player who is NHL ready while Romanov does.  

agree that everything I've seen from Romanov has been impressive. Hes walking into this team next year and is in our top 6. 

 

Poehling on the other hand has never been  a real scorer thats for sure. But, when given a scoring role on his team he has raised to the occasion. Surely at 21, HE has more to offer then Weise did from the start of this playoff. That we can all agree to. S*it, Evans just proved it. I await the chance Poehling is given the same opportunity  to prove he was the better option to Weise Hudon and Belzile as well. That is all

Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, IN THE HEARTS OF MEN said:

Im peraonally not over rating anyone. 

I just want him to get a game in. If we can all watch Weise for a series. Then comment on how much better Evans is then him, explain Juliens thought process that going with Weise over Evans was because he gave us a better chance to win. 

 

Then in the same breath tell me how after watching Hudon over +100 games in the NHL is better then the unknown of Poehling? It isnt! We got exactly what we've seen from Hudon over the last 3 seasons. Sure a couple nice hits here and some forechecking pressure but that was really it. 

 

Belzile was an unknown coming into these playoffs and has gotten a chance to make an impact. He had a golden chance to tie last game and missed the net (that was a shame)

 

Again hes our best prospect not dressed. Unless he's just unfit to play, I'm shocked that he's literally our last undressed forward.

You just made the point that because those players played ahead of Poehling it is evident he is not NHL ready yet

 

and that, like Romanov, he is learning from the experience of being there and practicing with the team

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, IN THE HEARTS OF MEN said:

Poehling on the other hand has never been  a real scorer thats for sure. But, when given a scoring role on his team he has raised to the occasion. Surely at 21, HE has more to offer then Weise did from the start of this playoff. That we can all agree to. S*it, Evans just proved it. I await the chance Poehling is given the same opportunity  to prove he was the better option to Weise Hudon and Belzile as well. That is all

 

Yes, I would rather play Poehling than Weise. But I would also rather play Belzile than Poehling. At this point in time -- by next spring I may well have a higher opinion of Poehling's readiness.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, IN THE HEARTS OF MEN said:

agree that everything I've seen from Romanov has been impressive. Hes walking into this team next year and is in our top 6. 

 

Poehling on the other hand has never been  a real scorer thats for sure. But, when given a scoring role on his team he has raised to the occasion. Surely at 21, HE has more to offer then Weise did from the start of this playoff. That we can all agree to. S*it, Evans just proved it. I await the chance Poehling is given the same opportunity  to prove he was the better option to Weise Hudon and Belzile as well. That is all

 

He was given scoring roles on his college team and in the AHL too.  He didnt rise to those occassions in a much bigger sample size than the wjc.

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Commandant said:

 

He was given scoring roles on his college team and in the AHL too.  He didnt rise to those occassions in a much bigger sample size than the wjc.

 

They really jacked up his development this year. He should have been in the AHL all season if they were only going to give him 10 minutes on the 4th line at the NHL level. Give him 13-14 minutes and let him play with some talent. If you have to drop him down from time to time, fine. But give him a shot to succeed or let him play big minutes in Laval.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/17/2020 at 3:48 PM, DON said:

I think they actually call him "Suzy".

 

They do call him Suzy.

 

I'm surprised nobody else says what I say because I call him:  the nature of Goals. 

 

15 hours ago, Commandant said:

Dont overrate one tournament over two weeks.  The fact is romanov has shown his ability at two different WJCs plus two seasons playing against men in the KHL.

 

Poehlings college and AHL/nhl results this past season are a lot less impressive.  I watch a lot of prospects and I can say Poehling does not look like a player who is NHL ready while Romanov does.  

 

I'm not over rating anything or anyone, as far as I know.  It is a fact that Team USA made him their #1 C and he won the MVP for C so I can only assume that they knew what he is capable of and that their decision to do that was the right call.  Team USA saw more in him than the Habs seem to and he stepped up to that challenge and excelled.  Not sure how people can claim that was just a fluke and that he's a bottom 6 F.  That's grossly under rating him IMO. 

58 minutes ago, Fanpuck33 said:

 

They really jacked up his development this year. He should have been in the AHL all season if they were only going to give him 10 minutes on the 4th line at the NHL level. Give him 13-14 minutes and let him play with some talent. If you have to drop him down from time to time, fine. But give him a shot to succeed or let him play big minutes in Laval.

 

  Thats a huge part of my point.  The Habs didnt really use him right in the NHL, and I am not sure if they are using him right in the AHL either. 

 

The "oh he's not ready" argument can potentially be used on almost any player.  i.e. Gretzky, he didnt play a full rounded hockey game, so apparently he needed to play AHL and learn to play in the corners.  The 1st part of that sentence is a true statement, but its insane.  🤣 

Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Sir_Boagalott said:

 

They do call him Suzy.

 

I'm surprised nobody else says what I say because I call him:  the nature of Goals. 

 

 

I'm not over rating anything or anyone, as far as I know.  It is a fact that Team USA made him their #1 C and he won the MVP for C so I can only assume that they knew what he is capable of and that their decision to do that was the right call.  Team USA saw more in him than the Habs seem to and he stepped up to that challenge and excelled.  Not sure how people can claim that was just a fluke and that he's a bottom 6 F.  That's grossly under rating him IMO. 

 

  Thats a huge part of my point.  The Habs didnt really use him right in the NHL, and I am not sure if they are using him right in the AHL either. 

 

The "oh he's not ready" argument can potentially be used on almost any player.  i.e. Gretzky, he didnt play a full rounded hockey game, so apparently he needed to play AHL and learn to play in the corners.  The 1st part of that sentence is a true statement, but its insane.  🤣 

So now Poehling is the next Gretzky, but only if we play him this week or ruin him?! 
 

who would have thought 🤪 

Edited by alfredoh2009
Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, Sir_Boagalott said:

 

They do call him Suzy.

 

I'm surprised nobody else says what I say because I call him:  the nature of Goals. 

 

 

I'm not over rating anything or anyone, as far as I know.  It is a fact that Team USA made him their #1 C and he won the MVP for C so I can only assume that they knew what he is capable of and that their decision to do that was the right call.  Team USA saw more in him than the Habs seem to and he stepped up to that challenge and excelled.  Not sure how people can claim that was just a fluke and that he's a bottom 6 F.  That's grossly under rating him IMO. 

 

  Thats a huge part of my point.  The Habs didnt really use him right in the NHL, and I am not sure if they are using him right in the AHL either. 

 

The "oh he's not ready" argument can potentially be used on almost any player.  i.e. Gretzky, he didnt play a full rounded hockey game, so apparently he needed to play AHL and learn to play in the corners.  The 1st part of that sentence is a true statement, but its insane.  🤣 

I don’t think he’s ready and I think he should have been in the AHL longer this year.  Having said that, there may not be an AHL this coming year, which is why I’ve wanted him in the line lineup instead of wasting a spot on Weise.  Evans is clearly ahead of him in his development.  But I’d use the players in the following order, Evans, Poehling, Belzile, Weal and if there is no one else available, I may even put Fleury in as a forward before Weise.  With Gallagher out, Poehling should be in the lineup.  Upside is much greater than the other three and let’s face it, with Gallagher out, I think I’d rather have someone that has the POTENTIAL to step up and help us win by scoring, than go with the guy I think is going to hurt us the least to try and avoid getting scored against.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




×
×
  • Create New...