Habs Get SCHNEIDER from Atlanta

rdavis35

He is 39. A little slow down in his career is to be expected.

Indeed, just as anyone would for a player who is 36, 37, and 38 years old - but he was putting up 50 points or so during those years as well. Even if this was the year the slowdown kicked in, I'd expect him to put up 35 to 45 points for a capable club, which Atlanta is not.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just saw the full deal and it really is only a 2nd round pick for Schneider, considering the Habs get a conditional pick back from Atl to offset the 3rd rounder they give up.

Only if the Habs make it far into the playoffs they will only get back a 4th or 5th rounder.

Better news yet.

What this trade does as well is makes a statement saying that Gainey is standing pat with this team and not making any significant moves. How so you may ask?

Well Montreal dealt away their 1st round pick last year. So they probably do not want to part with one this year. Their second round pick this year would have been part of any major deal they would make, and if they have lost their second already they really probably don't want to move any further picks this year.

Also trading for a guy that is 39 and is most likely not going to be here next year says that Gainey wants no major additions just depth, and that he thinks this team is good enough as is to compete and win.

This is very bad news. I do not like this trade at all. I think it addresses no major concerns of this team, depth at defense would be less important than a top centre, some added grit or a veteran goalie.

I guess we just have to hope that Carbonneay, Muller, Jarvis and Melanson can turn this team around

I think our need for an offensive D was more pressing than our need for a centre. Our transition and powerplay have been lacking big time. There is still time for Gainey to move for a centre as well.

A veteran goalie is not really a need I think. Habs have comitted themselves to Price as being their franchise goalie. Plus, there's no one worth bringing in that has the same skill level as Price. So if you bring in a guy like Kolzig for example, sure he's a veteran presence, but you can't count on someone like to steal a playoff game. And if that's the case, what's the point of even starting them? You have to just hope Price can do what he's billed to, the reason he's there. Unfair to him at such a young age, but that's how it is.

Let me put a semi-positive spin on this....

This tells me that Bob is not making a big trade for bowmester (ie.. roster players) since he got a fill in for picks. Therefore, he is saving those roster guys for a big trade for a top centre.. if he pulls that off, there may be some hope this year...

However, if this is the big move.. then we are screwed. :)

I think our need for an offensive D was more pressing than our need for a centre. Our transition and powerplay have been lacking big time. There is still time for Gainey to move for a centre as well.

A veteran goalie is not really a need I think. Habs have comitted themselves to Price as being their franchise goalie. Plus, there's no one worth bringing in that has the same skill level as Price. So if you bring in a guy like Kolzig for example, sure he's a veteran presence, but you can't count on someone like to steal a playoff game. And if that's the case, what's the point of even starting them? You have to just hope Price can do what he's billed to, the reason he's there. Unfair to him at such a young age, but that's how it is.

I was at the game yesterday in vancouver... and the clumsiness and awkwardness u see on tv is nothing to what the y look like for real! the TRANSITION GAME is useless.... is INEXISTENT.... it is such that I understand why Kovalev and Kostitsyn try fruitlessly to skate in alone... (1) the positioning to recieve passes is not on time... the precision of passes is out of sync... all minor errors yet (AT A NON PROFESSIONAL LEVEL) which causes two fumbles and two goals last night!

its simple the team needs to build confidence and get the mojo back... they are way better than what they show on ice!!! AND FOR GODS SAKE SHOOT MORE!!!

KOivu was outshining all the other players he stood out... even my GF who knows shit about Hockey saw that Koivu was the better of the players

What this trade does as well is makes a statement saying that Gainey is standing pat with this team and not making any significant moves. How so you may ask?

Well Montreal dealt away their 1st round pick last year. So they probably do not want to part with one this year. Their second round pick this year would have been part of any major deal they would make, and if they have lost their second already they really probably don't want to move any further picks this year.

Also trading for a guy that is 39 and is most likely not going to be here next year says that Gainey wants no major additions just depth, and that he thinks this team is good enough as is to compete and win.

This is very bad news. I do not like this trade at all. I think it addresses no major concerns of this team, depth at defense would be less important than a top centre, some added grit or a veteran goalie.

I guess we just have to hope that Carbonneay, Muller, Jarvis and Melanson can turn this team around

From what i have seen lately the biggest need is on the defensive front. A hard-shooting d-man to play the PP and someone that can move the puck.

Edited by MFT77

As per the TSN article, the conditional pick that we get back is a 3rd-5th depending on how many playoff rounds we win (3rd for 0 rounds won, 4th for 1, and the 5th is for 2 or more). So that makes the deal look better.

This is a good trade. Yeah, we don't look like real contenders this year, but we still have a good team and we shouldn't throw the season away. Maybe just adding one solid veteran who hasn't been sucking for the last month will help turn this team around (especially the defense).

Hmmm, Schneider's not really anyone's "old buddy". I recall he was pissing off lot of people back in the days because his dad was harassing the coach for ice time a little too much...

... oh, and there was also that minor, trivial "slept with Patrick Roy's wife" incident.

LOL, they have those rumours in Montreal too?

In Toronto Gary Leeman slept with Iafrate's wife and the reason Corson left in 2004 was because he slept with Moginly's wife.

I'm starting to worry that the Habs are turning into the Coyotes with regards to the people in charge and the nepotism like effects of them bringing in all of their old buddies.

The only good thing I can think of from this trade is that Bob had previous success in poaching a player that Holland didnt think was good enough for his team.

With only 4 G's he should be able to double his total this year.

Either way I cant wait to hear them say Maaaathieeeeeeew Schneiiiiiiiiiiideeeuuuurrr in a thick French accent again. I always loved hearing that over the loud speakers at the Forum. :clap:

Let me put a semi-positive spin on this....

This tells me that Bob is not making a big trade for bowmester (ie.. roster players) since he got a fill in for picks. Therefore, he is saving those roster guys for a big trade for a top centre.. if he pulls that off, there may be some hope this year...

However, if this is the big move.. then we are screwed. :)

I don't think the picks are a big deal. What kind of sucks is that signing Streit may have been cheaper. I think Schnieder will be better in his own zone than Streit though. All we can do is wait and see.

I was at the game yesterday in vancouver... and the clumsiness and awkwardness u see on tv is nothing to what the y look like for real! the TRANSITION GAME is useless.... is INEXISTENT.... it is such that I understand why Kovalev and Kostitsyn try fruitlessly to skate in alone... (1) the positioning to recieve passes is not on time... the precision of passes is out of sync... all minor errors yet (AT A NON PROFESSIONAL LEVEL) which causes two fumbles and two goals last night!

its simple the team needs to build confidence and get the mojo back... they are way better than what they show on ice!!! AND FOR GODS SAKE SHOOT MORE!!!

KOivu was outshining all the other players he stood out... even my GF who knows shit about Hockey saw that Koivu was the better of the players

Really? Every time Koivu was on the ice, it looked like we were playing with no-one in the middle. Admittedly, from a tv view. Kovalev increasingly looks stranded, and has no other options. One thing I notice, Kovalev is frequently on or around the puck, and available for passes. After the faceoff, Koivu vanishes.

Schneider is supposed to help the transition game some. It looked brutal on tv, can't imagine what it must have looked like live. No skating, long-bomb passes all night, standing and watching. Who knows, maybe Mathieu will light a fire on the d-corps and get them moving again. Bob I'm sure will get the picks back (or rough equivalents); and there will be more moves for cap purposes. Plex next?

Are you guys telling us you never heard that story about Schneider sleeping with Roy's wife? It's old Habs lore. Happened sometimes in 94 or 95. Roy almost killed Schneider. Was one of the reason the Habs had a miserable season and Schneider got shipped out.

Are you guys telling us you never heard that story about Schneider sleeping with Roy's wife? It's old Habs lore. Happened sometimes in 94 or 95. Roy almost killed Schneider. Was one of the reason the Habs had a miserable season and Schneider got shipped out.
I remember. It's a well traveled story. Also, in my experience; there is no way the story tellers I've encountered have met

one another.

LOL, they have those rumours in Montreal too?

In Toronto Gary Leeman slept with Iafrate's wife and the reason Corson left in 2004 was because he slept with Moginly's wife.

I've never heard that rumour aboot any Habs players though.

There are other rumours of the same thing. Lindros apparently banged Brind'Amors wife, thats why the Flyers beat him up and Desjardins ripped the C of his jersey. Clarke thought Lindros was better and thats who they kept but the entire team disagreed with that decision.

Recently I heard same rumour that Nolan was banging 1 of his players wives when he was in Buffalo. Makes sense though, I could never figure out why a team would fire the coach after he won coach of the year. I'm left wondering if Mogilny was there at that time. Wouldnt that be funny, poor guy.

The Corson Mogilny story though I am fairly certain is true. Quinns comments made no sense, unless the rumour is true. My ex roomate told me about it and I know he was a close source to the Leafs. He knows all of them and they are all clients of his and he told me thats what he over heard so I beleive him for sure. iirc Tuckers wife apparently told Mogilny what happened because she didnt think it was right what her brother was doing.

I like this trade

Our PP sucks so much that we desperately need a long distance shooter.

And he's in great shape.

Plus, he knows what it takes to win a Cup in the new NHL, since he last won one in 2007

However, does that mean a D-man is on the trading block in order to get centre .....mmm.........Hamrlik ?????

Edited by rafikz

There are other rumours of the same thing. Lindros apparently banged Brind'Amors wife, thats why the Flyers beat him up and Desjardins ripped the C of his jersey. Clarke thought Lindros was better and thats who they kept but the entire team disagreed with that decision.

Yep, I heard that story too, exactly as you described (is Desjardins bad luck?)

Recently I heard same rumour that Nolan was banging 1 of his players wives when he was in Buffalo. Makes sense though, I could never figure out why a team would fire the coach after he won coach of the year. I'm left wondering if Mogilny was there at that time. Wouldnt that be funny, poor guy.

It was Hasek's wife. Of all players, that dumb SOB had to chose the franchise player that would never get traded.

Yep, I heard that story too, exactly as you described (is Desjardins bad luck?)

It was Hasek's wife. Of all players, that dumb SOB had to chose the franchise player that would never get traded.

We went from a hockey trade thread to day of our lives - i didn't realize we had so many housewives on this forum :wacko: