Permanent Rumour Thread

Fanpuck33

13 hours ago, dlbalr said:

Here's the problem - Anaheim doesn't need a d-man back if they're moving Zegras.  They're the other team about as loaded on the back end as Montreal is in terms of prospects.  I think they'd want a young impactful forward and I'm not sure there's a viable fit between who the Habs would give up and who the Ducks would want.

Ok ... a five-way trade in which the Habs take on three expiring bad contracts and ... guess not.

😉

With rumours that Montreal was offered Cutter Gauthier at the draft for the 5th pick, is that a move we should have made? 

having passed on Gauthier at the draft, could we have gotten him for a Barron+Harris type package?

7 hours ago, hab29RETIRED said:

With rumours that Montreal was offered Cutter Gauthier at the draft for the 5th pick, is that a move we should have made? 

having passed on Gauthier at the draft, could we have gotten him for a Barron+Harris type package?

They wanted Reinbacker and Hughes said no thanks. 

Seems like several teams wanted Reinbacker. Hopefully he turns into our stud Dman for a decade 

8 hours ago, hab29RETIRED said:

I think both questions start with whether HuGo thought Gauthier would sign with Montreal.

***IF*** they felt he would sign then it was worth considering, as would be any trade ... but reports I read indicated there were only 20-ish teams to which Gauthier was interested in going, and Canadian teams are usually in the other "dirty dozen" in such situations.

As for a Barron+Harris package, I doubt it ... I think Drysdale has far more high-end potential than either of them

1 hour ago, GHT120 said:

I think both questions start with whether HuGo thought Gauthier would sign with Montreal.

***IF*** they felt he would sign then it was worth considering, as would be any trade ... but reports I read indicated there were only 20-ish teams to which Gauthier was interested in going, and Canadian teams are usually in the other "dirty dozen" in such situations.

As for a Barron+Harris package, I doubt it ... I think Drysdale has far more high-end potential than either of them

Agree with all your points. I am sure Hughes gave it careful consideration and obviously made the decision to keep the pick. 

9 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

Agree with all your points. I am sure Hughes gave it careful consideration and obviously made the decision to keep the pick. 

Prima facie, a RD is worth more than a LW. I’m sure Gauthier is a valuable commodity, but he’s especially sexy right now because of these trade. It doesn’t follow that he is a better overall prospect than Reinbacher. 

As for getting him for Barron-Harris, that sounds a lot like the ol’ “Ryder and a 2nd” trope. I don’t think either of those guys is regarded as equivalent to a guy picked at #5 overall.

10 hours ago, hab29RETIRED said:

1) no..  the 2023 draft was better than 2022.  Both picks were 5th overall.  

2) no.. drysdale has more upside than both, and the ducks included a 2nd (like a late first) too.

42 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

As for getting him for Barron-Harris, that sounds a lot like the ol’ “Ryder and a 2nd” trope. I don’t think either of those guys is regarded as equivalent to a guy picked at #5 overall.

Yeah, it would be nice to make one of those trades where you get a battleship for a couple of frigates but I think rebuilding teams are looking for quality rather than quantity. 

• Like 1

Interesting note about Monahan in here, there's an informal agreement that they would move him to a contending team or perhaps the team of his choice.  There's no trade protection in his contract but it sounds like he'll have a big say in where he goes which could play a role in what the return is.

https://www.tsn.ca/nhl/video/insider-trading-decision-pending-on-possible-perry-termination-g~2844454

Rumor on Moneyhand's potential destinations

1 hour ago, dlbalr said:

Interesting note about Monahan in here, there's an informal agreement that they would move him to a contending team or perhaps the team of his choice.  There's no trade protection in his contract but it sounds like he'll have a big say in where he goes which could play a role in what the return is.

https://www.tsn.ca/nhl/video/insider-trading-decision-pending-on-possible-perry-termination-g~2844454

When talking about trading Monahan, we seem to often leave out Montreal already received a first for him.  So any return is just gravy really.

• Like 2

On 1/7/2024 at 4:43 PM, dlbalr said:

Other centres in play will be Lindholm, Henrique, Novak (whose contract is going to make him really popular), maybe Wennberg.  Offensively, Jason Dickinson is in that mix as well but he won't command a huge return.  It's not a deep C group.

But there are only so many firsts to go around.  Lindholm will get one, so will Hanifin.  If Guentzel goes, he gets one.  Someone else will pay a first for a d-man.

If you go back a page or two, I have Monahan as a 2nd plus a small something (think a mid-round pick a couple years out).  That's still a pretty valuable return on a rental.

Dickinson just signed a 2 year 8.5million deal with Chicago so he is likely off the board. 

• Like 1

EDM trade rumors after Perry signs:

47 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

EDM trade rumors after Perry signs:

The easiest solution would be to send Dylan Holloway down to the AHL.

2 hours ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

It wouldn't be surprising that a team like the Flyers would want Arber Xhekaj. 

Insider Talks Flyers Potential Interest in Canadiens’ Arber Xhekaj (msn.com)

Too late, they already traded Gauthier.😁

1 hour ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Too late, they already traded Gauthier.😁

Perhaps, if the Habs and Flyers had serious discussions you would think the Habs would have inquired about Gauthier, maybe not 1 for 1 but as part of a larger deal. You would think long term that Arber would be a perfect partner for a guy like Drysdale who is a RD, skilled, but not big and overly physical. 

11 hours ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

Perhaps, if the Habs and Flyers had serious discussions you would think the Habs would have inquired about Gauthier, maybe not 1 for 1 but as part of a larger deal. You would think long term that Arber would be a perfect partner for a guy like Drysdale who is a RD, skilled, but not big and overly physical. 

I doubt Philly is moving the "young NHLERs" Owen Tippet or Morgan Frost that HuGo might covet, even in an expanded trade ... not certain that Noah Cates would be a target (after a decent 5g/4a in 16 games as a rookie he seems to have regressed (13 goals last season, 1 in 25 this season) or that there any matches amongst their prospects since they aren't moving Michkov (even if HuGo wanted him).

22 yr-old Tyson Foerster has decent size but is unproven as yet (10g, 15a in 54 NHL games) ... but not certain he tempts HuGo, even in a deal that could be 1-for-1-ish (i.e., sweetener on one side depending on which GM is "hottest to trot").

1 hour ago, GHT120 said:

I doubt Philly is moving the "young NHLERs" Owen Tippet or Morgan Frost that HuGo might covet, even in an expanded trade ... not certain that Noah Cates would be a target (after a decent 5g/4a in 16 games as a rookie he seems to have regressed (13 goals last season, 1 in 25 this season) or that there any matches amongst their prospects since they aren't moving Michkov (even if HuGo wanted him).

22 yr-old Tyson Foerster has decent size but is unproven as yet (10g, 15a in 54 NHL games) ... but not certain he tempts HuGo, even in a deal that could be 1-for-1-ish (i.e., sweetener on one side depending on which GM is "hottest to trot").

I really don't see a trade happening given that both teams are in rebuild mode although the Flyers seem to have taken a definite step forward this year. I don't think that Frost is a guy that Hughes covets, had a decent year last year with 19 goals but he is going on 25 so maybe that is his peak. I don't think Arber is going anywhere, just included the article as something to talk about.  

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

I really don't see a trade happening given that both teams are in rebuild mode although the Flyers seem to have taken a definite step forward this year. I don't think that Frost is a guy that Hughes covets, had a decent year last year with 19 goals but he is going on 25 so maybe that is his peak. I don't think Arber is going anywhere, just included the article as something to talk about.  

Well, if Philly wants Wifi bad enough, I suppose I could be talked into moving him for Michkov😁

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Well, if Philly wants Wifi bad enough, I suppose I could be talked into moving him for Michkov😁

It would be interesting to see what Hughes could get for Wifi if he decided to trade him. I bet it would be more than a lot of people think. 

I like the EDM to MTl trade rumour I saw on several sites Savard and a 5th to EdM for Ceci, Borgault and  a 2nd.Thought's? 

30 minutes ago, PMAC said:

I like the EDM to MTl trade rumour I saw on several sites Savard and a 5th to EdM for Ceci, Borgault and  a 2nd.Thought's? 

I hadn't seen that one. Obviously the Oilers would need to see Savard as a definite upgrade over Ceci since they both have 1 year remaining at close to the same cap hit.  Bourgault hasn't done much in the AHL, seems to have regressed. A late 2nd is OK. 

If I could get a 1st instead of Bourgault and a 2nd I would be more excited about it. Of course we would have to take on Ceci to balance contracts. I can see the Oilers wanting Savard as defense is what they need.  Adding Perry and Savard  provide a lot of grit for a playoff run.