Permanent Rumour Thread

Fanpuck33

On 7/24/2021 at 7:41 AM, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

The insane 9.5 given Jones is a bit of a dash of cold water regarding Hamilton, though. I am amazed Jones got that in a flat cap world. Do we want Hamilton on a long term deal at that price point?

I would say *probably* yes…I mean, we were carrying around a vastly worse contract in Weber’s 7.5 for the next five years. At least Hamilton would still likely be an effective player by the end of the contract. But between 9+ for him and Price’s 10.5 I’m not sure it’s realistic. 

I wouldn’t be surprised if we go with a “platoon” on D…add two mid-range puck-moving D and then keep rotating the pairings, instead of having a true #1. 

I would say No. If you are paying a guy 9.5 million/year then you better be darn sure he is a good fit. Montreal would be Hamilton's 4th team in a fairly short career. There has to be a reason it didn't work out in the other places. Montreal would not be an easier place for him to play. 

Just because we were paying Weber 7.5 M doesn't make it acceptable. Does that mean we want another bad contract?  I would rather be smart with the money, take a step backward if need be and wait for the right opportunity. 

2 hours ago, Commandant said:

Rumours have New Jersey as a serious suitor for Hamilton.

NJ is a high tax state (on the US scale), is it not? And the Devils don't appear to be at the contender stage yet.

But, of course, we don't know what Hamilton's priorities are.

I disagree... Hamilton is a huge asset and if he can be signed as a UFA then he's a FREE huge asset that can be traded for other assets if it doesn't work out as long as there is no trade restrictions in his contract.

I say go for it... hes still very young and would be 35 at the end of this 7 year deal... if he even wants to sign for 7. Likely 5 years so he can cash in huge again

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, IN THE HEARTS OF MEN said:

I disagree... Hamilton is a huge asset and if he can be signed as a UFA then he's a FREE huge asset that can be traded for other assets if it doesn't work out as long as there is no trade restrictions in his contract.

Except there will be.  As the top UFA at his position, he's getting a full no-move clause no matter where he signs with.  That's basically an automatic at this point.

34 minutes ago, IN THE HEARTS OF MEN said:

I say go for it... hes still very young and would be 35 at the end of this 7 year deal... if he even wants to sign for 7. Likely 5 years so he can cash in huge again

There is no such thing as free in today's NHL when you have limited cap space.  Carey Price was FREE and Seattle didn't take him.  I would sign Doug Hamilton at perhaps 7.5, much higher and someone else can have him. 

9 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

There is no such thing as free in today's NHL when you have limited cap space.  Carey Price was FREE and Seattle didn't take him.  I would sign Doug Hamilton at perhaps 7.5, much higher and someone else can have him. 

Gimmie a break... everyone understands that you use up cap space to sign a freakin player. What a joke!

24 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

Except there will be.  As the top UFA at his position, he's getting a full no-move clause no matter where he signs with.  That's basically an automatic at this point.

I still believe if a top defender as his hamilton wants to come to MTL on the eve you lose your captain... you sign him as long as he's asking for what is fair value... 

3 hours ago, Habsfan89 said:

Wonder if going after Barkov would cost less?🤔

I doubt it ... Florida had the 4th best Points% in the league last season ... they aren't likely even listening to offers for their second leading scorer and Selke Trophy winner ... and if they are the return will have to be HUGE and NHL ready

22 minutes ago, IN THE HEARTS OF MEN said:

I still believe if a top defender as his hamilton wants to come to MTL on the eve you lose your captain... you sign him as long as he's asking for what is fair value... 

That's fine (and I don't disagree) - I was just pointing out that there's no way he doesn't get trade protection as part of the contract.

26 minutes ago, IN THE HEARTS OF MEN said:

Gimmie a break... everyone understands that you use up cap space to sign a freakin player. What a joke!

How much would you pay him?  Anything?  I didn't say I wouldn't sign him but the deal has to make sense. If you pay him too much then it limits your ability to pay players  in other positions.  I could be wrong but I am guessing  KK, Caulfield and Suzuki will all be getting raises in the not to distant future. 

There is money to play with this year.  Not sure in 1 or 2 years when the players I mentioned get significant raises. Not sure about Danault leaving.

I am not disputing whether Hamilton is an attractive addition  or not just saying that if I am going to use 12% of my cap room on a defenceman it wouldn't be Dougie Hamilton,  would do it for a Cale Makar or a Victor Hedman who are studs. 

Im sorry but if the kid wants to come to Mtl... MB NEEDS to sign him period! He's easily worth Pietrangelo money.  Especially considering that he would be a free asset that would cost us no players or picks to sign AND please don't be telling me he's not a free asset because we are spending CAP space on him... how ridiculous when we all know what free to aquire means.

1 minute ago, IN THE HEARTS OF MEN said:

Im sorry but if the kid wants to come to Mtl... MB NEEDS to sign him period! He's easily worth Pietrangelo money.  Especially considering that he would be a free asset that would cost us no players or picks to sign AND please don't be telling me he's not a free asset because we are spending CAP space on him... how ridiculous when we all know what free to aquire means.

You are correct that it would not cost any assets to acquire him but it's all about whether the contract you give him is sensible given that you are limited by the cap space you have. If cap space wasn't limited then I could care less if they spent 12M/Yr on him. 

Again why didn't Seattle  take Carey Price?  He was FREE, arguably the best goalie in the NHL?   Are Joey Daccord, Vitek Vanacek and Chris Driedger better goalies?   No they are not, the reason Carey wasn't taken is because it would have cost them 10.5M in cap space they didn't want to spend that. He wasn't FREE in the sense that I am talking about. 

I'd give Hamilton up to 10 million per year.  It might mean that we have to replace Denault by Evans but the resulting roster is better than anything with Denault and any other Dman we can find.  The extra 3 million won't prevent us from keeping our young stars long term.  We might lose someone like Armia or Drouin in a couple of years but it is still worth it.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

You are correct that it would not cost any assets to acquire him but it's all about whether the contract you give him is sensible given that you are limited by the cap space you have. If cap space wasn't limited then I could care less if they spent 12M/Yr on him. 

Again why didn't Seattle  take Carey Price?  He was FREE, arguably the best goalie in the NHL?   Are Joey Daccord, Vitek Vanacek and Chris Driedger better goalies?   No they are not, the reason Carey wasn't taken is because it would have cost them 10.5M in cap space they didn't want to spend that. He wasn't FREE in the sense that I am talking about. 

One has to combine that dollar value with age. If Carey Price was 28 years old like Hamilton and had no previous injury concerns, they would have taken him.