Non-Rocket Habs Prospect tracker

Commandant

19 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

Wasn't projecting ... a possible 6/7 rotation D reflects that I also have little if any expectations for him.

If he or WiFi could play the right-side it would be a punishing 3rd pairing ... if earned 😉

Yes, punishing, but the Doug Murray/Rick Greens' wouldnt do too well these days. At least Xhekaj has some nice skating, puck sills and shot as well. (Some PP time in Laval wouldnt hurt one bit)

24 minutes ago, Commandant said:

These charts are nice and his defense is an issue, but the key number there is games tracked=9.

I respect what they are trying to do but sample sizes are still too small to be meaningful.

It is like "scouting" off a highlight reel ... it is not always representative of the player.

55 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

It is like "scouting" off a highlight reel ... it is not always representative of the player.

And this chart isnt? 

What are odds his defense will improve much, slim?

But, like someone noted, Karlsson sucks in his own zone and is the current Norris winner.

13 minutes ago, DON said:

And this chart isnt? 

Thought I was agreeing with you ... 9 games is too short a sample ... highlight reels are a skewed sample.

2 hours ago, DON said:

His defense, will it be good enough for the NHL?

Too early to tell. Has there ever been a 20-year-old defenseman that didn't need to work on the defensive side of his game?  That's what the AHL is for. There is no question about his offensive abilities. 

2 hours ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

Too early to tell. Has there ever been a 20-year-old defenseman that didn't need to work on the defensive side of his game?  That's what the AHL is for. There is no question about his offensive abilities. 

Guhle?

The article says "ask 10 people and you'll get 10 different answers." On his projection. This seems very true with him. I would say it's too early to tell. Covid, suspension, injury time was too much. He's a couple years behind in development, so may need one or two years to accurately see where he could fit in on the team. That's provided he has the social licence to play for the Habs in the first place.

21 minutes ago, BCHabnut said:

The article says "ask 10 people and you'll get 10 different answers." On his projection. This seems very true with him. I would say it's too early to tell. Covid, suspension, injury time was too much. He's a couple years behind in development, so may need one or two years to accurately see where he could fit in on the team. That's provided he has the social licence to play for the Habs in the first place.

Big shot, good sized, skates well and has OK puck skills...just one main area of weakness, not bad.

Karlsson sucks defending and he won Norris, so who knows and I cant wait to finally see him in a Hab jersey in Sept.

On 8/11/2023 at 4:44 PM, DON said:

Big shot, good sized, skates well and has OK puck skills...just one main area of weakness, not bad.

Karlsson sucks defending and he won Norris, so who knows and I cant wait to finally see him in a Hab jersey in Sept.

The whole bit about him not handling the puck well in his own end under pressure.. at the ohl level.. is a tad more of a concern I'd say. Considering he has more of a size and skating advantage there.

11 hours ago, Plutarch said:

The whole bit about him not handling the puck well in his own end under pressure.. at the ohl level.. is a tad more of a concern I'd say. Considering he has more of a size and skating advantage there.

We’ll have a much better idea of his defensive capabilities and issues after a season in Laval.

10 hours ago, Plutarch said:

Yeah, he may have a rough rookie year adjusting to the speed (as many dmen seem to).

Yes, he may not have the brainsmarts to defend great, is a tough position to play at McDavid speed.

I hear defending can be taught, but to defend well, need to be smart to begin with (or high hockey IQ i guess). A forward (especially a lazy winger) can get by on skill alone...a la Bure/Hull/Kovalev.

24 minutes ago, DON said:

"I know what I need to work on, what type of player I am, I know my size and everything, I just need to make it work all together," Slafkovsky said in April. "In this League it's very specific, and I'm just trying to find a balance between all the things I can do. And the coaches are helping me to find the best version of myself so I can help the team win."

10 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

"I know what I need to work on, what type of player I am, I know my size and everything, I just need to make it work all together," Slafkovsky said in April. "In this League it's very specific, and I'm just trying to find a balance between all the things I can do. And the coaches are helping me to find the best version of myself so I can help the team win."

I find this Slafkovsky quote to be a bit weird. 

He sounds like he is at the building blocks stage - he has no real idea what the hell he is doing and he is trying to figure it out. 

Sounds like a player that should be in Laval with his buddy Mesar

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

I find this Slafkovsky quote to be a bit weird. 

He sounds like he is at the building blocks stage - he has no real idea what the hell he is doing and he is trying to figure it out. 

Sounds like a player that should be in Laval with his buddy Mesar

Management has said that they are worried about some AHLers taking runs at them to make a name for themselves, get attention, and be the guy who injured a first overall pick, and that he actually faces more issues playing in the AHL than the NHL. 

I don't know if they are right, but at least there is logic to it. 

59 minutes ago, Commandant said:

I don't know if they are right, but at least there is logic to it. 

Both the #2 & #6 picks played in AHL and did pretty good, without getting beat up or run through the end boards.

I still think he should of been in the AHL last year, at least for a stint. But he was the new shiny toy and Habs mgmt followed old playbook by rushing the kid, it seems.

1 minute ago, DON said:

Both the #2 & #6 picks played in AHL and did pretty good, without getting beat up or run through the end boards.

I still think he should of been in the AHL last year, at least for a stint. But he was the new shiny toy and Habs mgmt followed old playbook by rushing the kid, it seems.

Like it or not

#1 overall is just different from #2

And Montreal is just different from Jersey and Columbus. 

10 hours ago, Commandant said:

Like it or not

#1 overall is just different from #2

And Montreal is just different from Jersey and Columbus. 

It was all about; well he is 238lbs and has played vs men and shone already, so we can get him some experience and sheltered minutes in NHL and hope for best.

Seems few (none?) #1 picks do go the AHL route (just flipping through last bunch of years anyways), although Lafreniere and couple others maybe should of?