Dec. 22, Habs vs Jets, 8:30 PM

dlbalr

The problem is that most of the D are #6 defenseman. I don't think anyone could argue that on a good team the Likes of Gill, Campoli, Weber, Diaz. Kanerle, Emelin(who i think will be a top 4 guy) are anything but bottom pairings of defenseman.

What can you do, that's who they have, thay all have big weaknesses in their game, all but emelin are really soft.

The problem is that most of the D are #6 defenseman. I don't think anyone could argue that on a good team the Likes of Gill, Campoli, Weber, Diaz. Kanerle, Emelin(who i think will be a top 4 guy) are anything but bottom pairings of defenseman.

What can you do, that's who they have, thay all have big weaknesses in their game, all but emelin are really soft.

Not the only problem... But I definitely agree with this.

They counted on Markov to be their #1 guy. His injury was worse than they thought.

They hoped for just one more year, Gill could team with PK to be an effective #2 pairing.... he's really slowed a lot and now is really only a penalty kill guy.

They gotta hope that Emelin is ready for that top 4 role next season

We lost 5 straight when Martin started to coach as well. Cunneyworth needs to get the black cloud out of the room. Too many high priced players with the impression that if it's OK for Gomez to not score it's OK for them to not score. Cunneyworth needs to start sitting EVERYBODY to get it in their head if their not playing to their worth then their not playing. Tell Cammy he's not playing because he's not producing. Sit him in the pressbox for a game or 2 and see if he doesn't come back like a cannonball on fire.

The team made the change to get the slow, boring, brain-dead hockey style gone. Now we need the player's mindsets to change as well. I see lots of positives with Cunneyworth's coaching. Higher pressure in both ends of the ice. I see 2 forecheckers to attempt to turn over the puck. Now the players need to get the will to play this way.

We lost 5 straight when Martin started to coach as well. Cunneyworth needs to get the black cloud out of the room. Too many high priced players with the impression that if it's OK for Gomez to not score it's OK for them to not score. Cunneyworth needs to start sitting EVERYBODY to get it in their head if their not playing to their worth then their not playing. Tell Cammy he's not playing because he's not producing. Sit him in the pressbox for a game or 2 and see if he doesn't come back like a cannonball on fire.

The team made the change to get the slow, boring, brain-dead hockey style gone. Now we need the player's mindsets to change as well. I see lots of positives with Cunneyworth's coaching. Higher pressure in both ends of the ice. I see 2 forecheckers to attempt to turn over the puck. Now the players need to get the will to play this way.

In a weird sense Cunneyworth has a unique opportunity because that idiot Molson has publicly announced that he will be canned at season's end. This means he can actually coach like a guy with nothing to lose - i.e., he can bench anyone. A normal coach can't do that because he can't afford a veterans' revolt. But on this team, if the vets revolt they're only further harming themselves; the coach is gone at year's end anyhow, so it boils down to whether you want to win or not. I think Cunneyworth should just go for broke, and the first thing I would do in his shoes is bench Cammalleri, whose season has been inexcusable.

EDIT: I'm starting to think Cammy is a real arsehole. This could just be the result of injudicious editing by the reporter, but check out his direct refutation of Cunneyworth's 'blue collar' argument in this postgame article:

http://www.montrealgazette.com/sports/Time+talking+over+Gorges+says/5902274/story.html

You get the distinct impression that Cammy thinks he is the coach. Sheesh.

In a weird sense Cunneyworth has a unique opportunity because that idiot Molson has publicly announced that he will be canned at season's end. This means he can actually coach like a guy with nothing to lose - i.e., he can bench anyone. A normal coach can't do that because he can't afford a veterans' revolt. But on this team, if the vets revolt they're only further harming themselves; the coach is gone at year's end anyhow, so it boils down to whether you want to win or not. I think Cunneyworth should just go for broke, and the first thing I would do in his shoes is bench Cammalleri, whose season has been inexcusable.

EDIT: I'm starting to think Cammy is a real arsehole. This could just be the result of injudicious editing by the reporter, but check out his direct refutation of Cunneyworth's 'blue collar' argument in this postgame article:

http://www.montrealg...2274/story.html

I don't like his quotes either. Never been an assistant captain, even though he's the "talent" guy on the team, and with his season he's in no position to chime in with his own approach, which has him on the way to his least productive season of all time. Cunneyworth is CLEARLY right. Most of the goals in this league are scored from in front of the net. What the ###### is he talking about, saying not to keep things simple? This team can't do anything right, that's all they can do. As far as the power play goes, I think Weber screwed it up last night, no shots and two turnovers.

I completely agree. We have young guys that could use experience, we're not in a playoff spot and doesn't look like we'll be in one by April. After the break warn the team start sitting players in the pressbox for poor performances. Whats the worse could happen? They stop playing for the coach? They've already stopped playing for the team. They demand a trade? I know a few on the team that I wouldn't care if they were gone as their playing now. If they demand a trade they should be told their going to sit in the pressbox or be sent down to the minors if an acceptable trade can't be found. Nobody will pick up Cammalleri's $6M a year the way he's playing, same for Gionta and Gomez. If they do, it saves a buyout and thats money to pickup players in the offseason. Maybe we can over pay for someone thats actually worth it.

The Cammy quote is pretty accurate to what I heard on the TSN clip on tv.

http://www.montrealgazette.com/sports/Time+talking+over+Gorges+says/5902274/story.html

I completely agree. We have young guys that could use experience, we're not in a playoff spot and doesn't look like we'll be in one by April. After the break warn the team start sitting players in the pressbox for poor performances. Whats the worse could happen? They stop playing for the coach? They've already stopped playing for the team. They demand a trade? I know a few on the team that I wouldn't care if they were gone as their playing now. If they demand a trade they should be told their going to sit in the pressbox or be sent down to the minors if an acceptable trade can't be found. Nobody will pick up Cammalleri's $6M a year the way he's playing, same for Gionta and Gomez. If they do, it saves a buyout and thats money to pickup players in the offseason. Maybe we can over pay for someone thats actually worth it.

I agree with both.

Subban scratch was overdue, not sure about Eller? dont see that. But love to Randy hold some players accountable, no matter who they are nor how much paid.

But overlooked the worst in need of a wakeup, Cammalleri, but i am hoping that he was not scratched because will hurt his trade value on dec.28th. They might off load him to a team like Caps and take Semin in return, shit for shit i know, but 1 possible option. And it is not just this year Cammalleri has sucked (relative to pay), with 19 goals last year i wouldnt call that fair value neither.

I would also replace Campoli with St. Denis (or even a cardboard cutout of Markov to place on bench), who at least knows what defense is. I thought Campoli was a depth d-man and that seems to be putting it nicely. Maybe, no hopefully he is still rusty??

But even if Subban has poor/terrible decision making skills, he brings alot of other good things to the team and was missed last night.

Not once in past few years did i ever think they would miss playoffs; looks like a lock for April Hab golf and i am now hoping for added draft picks and being a definite seller at trade deadline for a change and finally drafting that highly skilled power forward, like a Brendan Gaunce, Forsberg or even a frickin russian (hard to say without gagging) like, Yakupov or Grigorenko. And Grigorenko can play for his present junior coach, who will then be a NHL coach for Habs if the lynch mob has their way in Montreal.

But hey, prospect pool looks super for fall of 2012, youth on Hab roster is holding their own for sure and future looks brighter for Habs, just need to cull some dead weight and resign Price ASAP.

cheers

I don't see how PK's scratching was overdue.. there are about 15 players having a worse season and making bigger mistakes then PK, Worse, many of them don't bring anything else to the table to make up for it.

PK had a bad couple of games and gets scratched. Cammy plays a bad month and nothing. And don't forget, PK had the flu about 5 days ago...

I don't see how PK's scratching was overdue.. there are about 15 players having a worse season and making bigger mistakes then PK, Worse, many of them don't bring anything else to the table to make up for it.

PK had a bad couple of games and gets scratched. Cammy plays a bad month and nothing. And don't forget, PK had the flu about 5 days ago...

PK has had some bad games here and there, after which i thought a night or 2 off wouldnt hurt, but like you, i did say he was missed and he has more talent than almost any 2nd year d-man.

I agree 1000% that some others should of been sat before PK, but why he picked PK after he owned up to his mistakes??, whereas some others - Cammalleri- continue on with zero compete level for past year and 1/2 and get a regualr shift.

Overall Subban is a key d-man, but his turnovers and showboating (intentional or not??) drive me crazy ; a John Daly-like wind up slap shot that misses the net by 10 feet, must just scare the shit out of any Hab forward that thinks of screening the goalie, same as dump-ins, just wrist it in and no need for a booming shot, if PK just kept it simple and actually drove to net with puck to get rebound/goal/or draw penalty, he likely would be the superstar player we all hope he will be, he has the speed and talent for sure.

http://www.montrealg...2274/story.html

I don't know... i kinda think that both Cammy and Cunneyworth are right on this one.

Cunneyworth is right in that the PP needs more shots with more traffic, and more crashing the net.

Cammy is right in that the PP needs a little more creativity too... right now there are too many guys standing still, not moving their feet, and as such it easy for the other team to close off shooting and passing lanes.

Use both in conjunction (cammy's more movement) and Cunneyworth's more shots and crash the net... and you'd have something.

PK has had some bad games here and there, after which i thought a night or 2 off wouldnt hurt, but like you, i did say he was missed and he has more talent than almost any 2nd year d-man.

I agree 1000% that some others should of been sat before PK, but why he picked PK after he owned up to his mistakes??, whereas some others - Cammalleri- continue on with zero compete level for past year and 1/2 and get a regualr shift.

Overall Subban is a key d-man, but his turnovers and showboating (intentional or not??) drive me crazy ; a John Daly-like wind up slap shot that misses the net by 10 feet, must just scare the shit out of any Hab forward that thinks of screening the goalie, same as dump-ins, just wrist it in and no need for a booming shot, if PK just kept it simple and actually drove to net with puck to get rebound/goal/or draw penalty, he likely would be the superstar player we all hope he will be, he has the speed and talent for sure.

The reason PK was sitting was because he admitted he can't be playing like that. It's a player taking responsibility for his own actions and accepting the coming consequences. Something every player in the lineup should be doing. Instead their all blaming it on the team as a whole. Cunneyworth might be starting to rotate everyone out of the lineup in the coming weeks, so they can see whats going on on the ice from a different angle. Tapes are good and all, but sitting in a box with a suit on while your team is losing and your powerless to help for that game, give you a different perspective from a different perspective. Might be what they need to light a fire under them. The reality is with this team is a little more effort every game and they would be in the top 4 of the conference, 7 OT losses, 3 blown leads(off the top of my head) that ended in 0 pts. there's 13 pts that would have them in a tie for 1st in the east.

I don't know... i kinda think that both Cammy and Cunneyworth are right on this one.

Cunneyworth is right in that the PP needs more shots with more traffic, and more crashing the net.

Cammy is right in that the PP needs a little more creativity too... right now there are too many guys standing still, not moving their feet, and as such it easy for the other team to close off shooting and passing lanes.

Use both in conjunction (cammy's more movement) and Cunneyworth's more shots and crash the net... and you'd have something.

My thoughts exactly. But it can't help Cammy's case that his first point seemingly contradicts the opinion of his new coach though.

I would not bench the one guy who stood up and said he had to play better. Thats the guy I send back out and challenge to show me he can do better.

More to the point, I would be asking why the rest of them who have played worse are so damn quiet.

You are, of course, assuming he hasn't already.

I do assume that Cammy is strong enough to not pussy himself out of a sinking ship without a real good reason.

The lines today at practice were :

Max Pac - Eller - Cole

Andrei - Plex - Moen

Cammy - Desharnais - Leblanc

Darche - Noke - Blunden

Gorges - Subban

Emelin - Kaberle

Gill - Diaz

Campoli - Weber

Will DD and Leblanc be able to start Cammy's engine ??

Max Pac - Eller - Cole

Andrei - Plex - Moen

Darche - Noke - Blunden

Gorges - Subban

Emelin - Kaberle

Gill - Diaz

Campoli - Weber

I wanna see what Eller can do.

Max Pac - Eller - Cole

Andrei - Plex - Moen

Darche - Noke - Blunden

Gorges - Subban

Emelin - Kaberle

Gill - Diaz

Campoli - Weber

I like the lines it will be a tell for sure.