Permanent Trade Proposal Thread

dlbalr

12 hours ago, tomh009 said:

I do agree with you. So, the alternative might be to have him in that spot on PP2. Less ice time and less strong supporting cast, but he might still be more effective there. And fetch a better return at trade deadline ...

Wasn't he on the 2nd PP last year when he did play?

15 minutes ago, Dalhabs said:

PLD for 5th overall and Gallagher?

What do you think folks?

Not a snowball's chance in Tucson Arizona in July ... but I like the concept ... if the Habs can't trade up, Michkov is still available at #5 and HuGo don't want the Russian ... the 2023 fifth overall, 2025 first from Calgary, Dvorak and/or Evans, Edmundson or Harris and Gallagher for PLD ... Gallagher will be EXPENSIVE to move ... still likely not enough to get PLG and move out Gallagher.

37 minutes ago, Dalhabs said:

What do you think folks?

Not with 10 foot pole, thanks.

Gallagher? You would need to offer a 1st, just for Jets to take that horrible-looking contract.

PLD might not even be as good as any of kids rated in top 10?

Hmm, this might be a silly video game like proposal, but apparently Hughes wants SJ pick, and the Habs do have 10.5 mil on LTIR.  Meanwhile, the Sharks have a 11.5 mil albatross contract they wish to move.  Is there any chance that SJ will realize that they can't really move Karlsson?  They are unlikely to get a kings ransom for him anyway, no playoff team has the cap space to add him, and none would want to give up considerable assets for him either.    Is it possible that SJ would accept the usual players proposals mentioned in a Dubois trade that the Jets wont accept for PLD?  i.e. Armia, Hoffman, and Dvorak (+ 1 of the Habs dmen prospect's not in NHL yet) for Karlsson? (and of course swapping the Habs 5th pick for SJ 4th).  The Habs either keep Karlsson or they can see if the Jets would accept him for PLD (plus they might even get a pick or 2 from the Jets).  

1 hour ago, Dalhabs said:

What do you think folks?

The Jets say No No No.  At this point I am not interested in paying a king's ransom to get rid of the Gallagher contract. He may spend a good chunk of the next 4 years on LTIR anyway as he is getting older and more injury prone.   The Habs don't need cap relief this year anyway.  I don't think there is any rush to deal with it. I would see what it looks like a year from now. 

49 minutes ago, Sir_Boagalott said:

Hmm, this might be a silly video game like proposal, but apparently Hughes wants SJ pick, and the Habs do have 10.5 mil on LTIR.  Meanwhile, the Sharks have a 11.5 mil albatross contract they wish to move.  Is there any chance that SJ will realize that they can't really move Karlsson?  They are unlikely to get a kings ransom for him anyway, no playoff team has the cap space to add him, and none would want to give up considerable assets for him either.    Is it possible that SJ would accept the usual players proposals mentioned in a Dubois trade that the Jets wont accept for PLD?  i.e. Armia, Hoffman, and Dvorak (+ 1 of the Habs dmen prospect's not in NHL yet) for Karlsson? (and of course swapping the Habs 5th pick for SJ 4th).  The Habs either keep Karlsson or they can see if the Jets would accept him for PLD (plus they might even get a pick or 2 from the Jets).  

The Jets would have zero interest in Karlsson. Who wants to pay a 33 year old defensemen 11.5M for the next 4 years unless you are in win now mode. The Jets have enough problems to deal with right now. 

I can see the Sharks and Habs as trading partners as the Habs have a surplus of good defense prospects and that is an area where the Sharks are lacking. 

3 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

The Jets would have zero interest in Karlsson. Who wants to pay a 33 year old defensemen 11.5M for the next 4 years unless you are in win now mode. The Jets have enough problems to deal with right now. 

I can see the Sharks and Habs as trading partners as the Habs have a surplus of good defense prospects and that is an area where the Sharks are lacking. 

That is a good point about his age and the money.  However, the Jets could lose numerous of their top players so I think they would be interested in getting a top player.   The issue is that Karlsson has a no trade clause and he probably would not agree to being moved to Winnipeg, but I could see him agreeing to go to Montreal.   

I do believe that there could be a fit and a mutual win win for the Habs and Sharks to swap picks and for the Sharks to move Karlsson and be free of spending that money.  The Sharks would get some prospects and players that could be moved at the trade deadline.  After all, Karlsson is impossible to move at the trade deadline.  

13 minutes ago, Sir_Boagalott said:

However, the Jets could lose numerous of their top players so I think they would be interested in getting a top player.     

If the Jets lose many of their top players (entirely possible) then I think they go into full rebuild mode. Karlsson would want to play for a contender and the Jets would want some cap flexibility and younger players/picks. Not a match.  The Jets are in a tough spot, Cheveldayoff certainly has his work cut out for him. 

14 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Nope.  Not giving 5th overall for Dubois 

Even if it also gets rid of Gallagher?

17 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

Even if it also gets rid of Gallagher?

A fifth overall is a potential superstar, that you can have for a decade or more.

Gallagher can be gone in four years and there is no guarantee he even lasts that long and doesn't end up on LTIR before that. 

We also have cap space right now and that includes both Caufield and Suzuki signed, and Gallagher, and Armia, and Hoffman, who will each be leaving. 

And the cap is going to go massively up in one year's time. 

Is Gallagher a problem, sure.

Is he worth getting rid of 5th overall... no.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

I think Dubois will end up in LA, sounds like they have a lot of interest plus a lot of young pieces to offer. 

Which is kinda fine by me.

Not sure how most folks feel about trying (how hard?) to add Dubois?

1 minute ago, DON said:

Which is kinda fine by me.

Not sure how most folks feel about trying (how hard?) to add Dubois?

Contract ... maybe. But I don't think they can find a trade that works for both sides. I sure don't see the Habs giving up Dach, and the Jets likely want someone ready to step into their lineup so the picks aren't super likely to work either.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, tomh009 said:

Contract ... maybe. But I don't think they can find a trade that works for both sides. I sure don't see the Habs giving up Dach, and the Jets likely want someone ready to step into their lineup so the picks aren't super likely to work either.

What do the Jets want though. 

Hellebuyck is the same situation as Dubois.  UFA in 2024 and refusing to sign a contract. 

Scheifele is also UFA in 2024 and reports he is refusing an extension. 

Wheeler is a third guy in that boat. 

The Jets are gonna be left with Morrissey, Connor, Ehlers, and a whole lot of average talent.  Thats 1 defenceman and 2 elite wingers.  Plus you are in a market that can't attract UFAs.  That screams tear down and rebuild. 

Gally's contract is an issue, but that isn't their biggest issue though.  I wouldn't pay anybody to take him.  Plus, that would send a bad message because he bleeds bleu blanc et rouge.  

I like my proposal of dumping 3 players/contracts for 1 by trying to get Karlsson even if the Habs have to keep him for numerous years before they get rid of him.  Hutson is a year or 2 away, and Mailloux could be as well.  Meanwhile, the Habs desperately need a PP QB, which Karlsson would immediately solve.  Plus, Karlsson would be a good leader and inspiration for Hutson and Mailloux wen they do reach the NHL.   

Also, dumping 3 contracts opens up a spot for Beck - who will be in the OHL if he isn't with the Habs.  Furthermore, it makes room for Roy and potentially another F prospect.

17 minutes ago, Commandant said:

What do the Jets want though. 

Hellebuyck is the same situation as Dubois.  UFA in 2024 and refusing to sign a contract. 

Scheifele is also UFA in 2024 and reports he is refusing an extension. 

Wheeler is a third guy in that boat. 

The Jets are gonna be left with Morrissey, Connor, Ehlers, and a whole lot of average talent.  Thats 1 defenceman and 2 elite wingers.  Plus you are in a market that can't attract UFAs.  That screams tear down and rebuild. 

Of those Jets players though they are unlikely to lose them all for nothing to lead to a full tear down and rebuild.  They will be able to trade several of them and possibly for other NHL players vs picks.  The fact they have issues attracting UFA's could mean they might have interest in Karlsson - if he is open to that idea.  However, it would be better for the Habs to keep Karlsson for 3 of the 4 years he has left (and that is when Price's contract ends too which would offset all but 1 mil of Karlssons contract).  It all just depends on how desperate the Sharks are to get rid of him.  

1 hour ago, DON said:

But, Gallagher may still have 15 goals in him when healthy?

And the AAV of a 25-30 goal scorer ... and it isn't likely to get better as time goes on.

1 hour ago, Commandant said:

... And the cap is going to go massively up in one year's time ...

And *** I *** would prefer to spend it on USEFUL players ... not overpaid, broken down veterans.

1 hour ago, GHT120 said:

And *** I *** would prefer to spend it on USEFUL players ... not overpaid, broken down veterans.

The thing is Gallagher fits under the cap now.... and we still have 9 million with everyone but basically RHP signed.  Plus Hoffman will be off the cap that year, an Armia the year after. 

We can get rid of Gallagher without giving up the 5th overall. 

Heck, we are still rebuilding now.  If Gallagher has another terrible season, we could even look at a buyout ala OEL. 

But this cap space isn't worth trading 5th IMO.

15 minutes ago, Commandant said:

The thing is Gallagher fits under the cap now.... and we still have 9 million with everyone but basically RHP signed.  Plus Hoffman will be off the cap that year, an Armia the year after. 

We can get rid of Gallagher without giving up the 5th overall. 

Heck, we are still rebuilding now.  If Gallagher has another terrible season, we could even look at a buyout ala OEL. 

But this cap space isn't worth trading 5th IMO.

Agreed, some teams have cap issues right now, the Habs don't.  No need to panic and over pay to get rid of Gallagher's contract.  

11 hours ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

Agreed. But I’d also add that Karlsson controls where he goes. No way in hell does he go to frigidipegg!