Permanent Trade Proposal Thread

dlbalr

1 hour ago, Commandant said:

Beaulieu for andreas athanasiou

Then add a rental dman.

I think Bergevin will see Beaulieu as more valuable than a young centre with one season under his belt and Wings also would want more, wouldn't they?

In off-season I can see Beaulieu dealt for a forward, but a NHL calibre d who can play OK hockey 20minutes/game+ in a pinch, is not what Bergevin would want to part with at this point in season, barring adding another top 4 d-man in next coupe days.

I keep wondering who MB could be targeting to boost the top 6 this Wednesday and Mike Cammalleri came to mind today.

He'd slot in nicely on the second line: Cammalleri - Galchenyuk - Gallagher

Would it make sense to bring him back?  At what cost?  McCarron, Desharnais and a 2nd round picks?

He's undersized, underachieving (he was recently a healthy scratch for a couple of games), and has two years left on his contract at $5 million after this.  They should not even entertain the possibility of adding a contract like that for someone that wouldn't really be a core player.  I think the Devils would have major difficulty getting a 2nd rounder alone for him right now.

14 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

He's undersized, underachieving (he was recently a healthy scratch for a couple of games), and has two years left on his contract at $5 million after this.  They should not even entertain the possibility of adding a contract like that for someone that wouldn't really be a core player.  I think the Devils would have major difficulty getting a 2nd rounder alone for him right now.

Just checked his stats: 10, 20 - 30 pts in 53 games.  Still, he's a good playoff performer and knows MTL well during playoff insanity.

6 minutes ago, JGC21 said:

Just checked his stats: 10, 20 - 30 pts in 53 games.  Still, he's a good playoff performer and knows MTL well during playoff insanity.

The problem isn't for this season but beyond.  This offseason, Radulov and Galchenyuk among others need new deals.  The following offseason, Price and Danault among others are up.  An extra big ticket in Cammalleri makes it harder to keep all of those guys around while still having room to improve.  It's one thing to add a big contract for someone that's going to make a sizable impact.  I wouldn't peg Cammalleri to do that - he's really starting to slow down.

34 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

The problem isn't for this season but beyond.  This offseason, Radulov and Galchenyuk among others need new deals.  The following offseason, Price and Danault among others are up.  An extra big ticket in Cammalleri makes it harder to keep all of those guys around while still having room to improve.  It's one thing to add a big contract for someone that's going to make a sizable impact.  I wouldn't peg Cammalleri to do that - he's really starting to slow down.

Ya I agree.    

it would bit alot different if he were a pure rental for this year.  But the contract it a hard one to swallow......however if the devils were to eat half of his salary I'd think about it

Just now, Davehab said:

it would bit alot different if he were a pure rental for this year.  But the contract it a hard one to swallow......however if the devils were to eat half of his salary I'd think about it

Why would the Devils eat half the salary for 2+ years to get rid of him?  He's not that much of a liability to them (yet).

1 minute ago, dlbalr said:

Why would the Devils eat half the salary for 2+ years to get rid of him?  He's not that much of a liability to them (yet).

I'm not saying they would....but that's about what it would take for me to like the deal.

When the Devils made the trade for Hall I thought it was a weird one because Hall automatically pegs in as the top line LW, knocking Cammalleri down the lineup. Weird that a talent deprived team has two of their best scorers playing LW. I mean, when the Devils GM learned that he could acquire Taylor Hall for Larsson, I'm sure he didn't really think about lineup implications, but rather holy crap I can get Taylor Hall. That being said, the guy is a decent player. I think the acquisition of Hall has hurt his production this year, being saddled with sub-par Devil players. Not saying I'd want to get him but also saying I don't think he'd be the worst guy to get. 

11 hours ago, illWill said:

When the Devils made the trade for Hall I thought it was a weird one because Hall automatically pegs in as the top line LW, knocking Cammalleri down the lineup. Weird that a talent deprived team has two of their best scorers playing LW. I mean, when the Devils GM learned that he could acquire Taylor Hall for Larsson, I'm sure he didn't really think about lineup implications, but rather holy crap I can get Taylor Hall. That being said, the guy is a decent player. I think the acquisition of Hall has hurt his production this year, being saddled with sub-par Devil players. Not saying I'd want to get him but also saying I don't think he'd be the worst guy to get. 

I enjoyed Cammy in his time here, especially during the playoffs, and regret that we threw him away for that bum Bourque. (The Habs' track record of pissing major talent down the drain in bad trades HAS to be one of the worst in all of hockey over the past 20 years. In Cammy's case, how many times since his trade have we sat there saying 'if only we had another top-6 FW...'? Well, sure, you had a good scorer and got rid of him in order to satisfy management's ego). The unfortunate thing is the cap hit. Otherwise he'd surely be worth taking a flyer on, even if he is struggling.

• Upvote 1

Montreal turned Cammalleri/Ramo into Bourque/2nd into Bryan Allen.

I know Ramo was a KHL goalie at the time and he has some injury issues but he will still go down in the annals of "Montreal throw ins that made no sense to give up" along with Craig Conroy, and Mike Keane.

1 hour ago, Commandant said:

Even when healthy, Ramo has done nothing of consequence in the NHL.  He's a dime a dozen backup goalie, and there are a ton of them available every July for $1million or less. 

Still made no sense to add with Cammalleri when you're getting only Rene Bourque and a second rounder back.

Guest Stogey24
1 hour ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I enjoyed Cammy in his time here, especially during the playoffs, and regret that we threw him away for that bum Bourque. (The Habs' track record of pissing major talent down the drain in bad trades HAS to be one of the worst in all of hockey over the past 20 years. In Cammy's case, how many times since his trade have we sat there saying 'if only we had another top-6 FW...'? Well, sure, you had a good scorer and got rid of him in order to satisfy management's ego). The unfortunate thing is the cap hit. Otherwise he'd surely be worth taking a flyer on, even if he is struggling.

Reminds me of another trade

As much as I want MB to land this team some scoring help, I have to applaud him for resisting the ridiculous asking prices I have seen attached to 2nd line level players.  Hanzal is not worth a 1st and a 2nd, and no way would I give up Sergachev for Evander Kane...so it's hard to fault MB thus far.

8 minutes ago, Stogey24 said:

Reminds me of another trade

It's often forgotten that nobody was happier for the trade than interim coach Randy Cunneyworth, who clashed with Cammalleri constantly and was cutting his ice time before the deal. A lot of people assume it was due to his comments but Jay Feaster pretty much said once that they were going to make the deal earlier but Bourque got suspended.

1 hour ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

Still made no sense to add with Cammalleri when you're getting only Rene Bourque and a second rounder back.

They got a prospect back too, he busted.  We traded a mediocre goalie prospect for a mediocre forward prospect.... meh.

Reminds me of Danny Kristo for Christian Thomas... or Tokarski for Friberg... or Thomas for Lessio.

Middling prospect for prospect moves.  

18 minutes ago, sbhatt said:

As much as I want MB to land this team some scoring help, I have to applaud him for resisting the ridiculous asking prices I have seen attached to 2nd line level players.  Hanzal is not worth a 1st and a 2nd, and no way would I give up Sergachev for Evander Kane...so it's hard to fault MB thus far.

I tend to agree, but if we crap out of the playoffs (or God forbid, miss them) after MB declines to make major deadline moves, nobody will remember that the asking prices were ridiculous. They will be calling for his scalp.

12 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I tend to agree, but if we crap out of the playoffs (or God forbid, miss them) after MB declines to make major deadline moves, nobody will remember that the asking prices were ridiculous. They will be calling for his scalp.

You are right but that Hanzal trade is ludicrous. If those are the prices, I do not see us making a deal.

1 hour ago, sbhatt said:

The only person reporting Sergachev as the asking price for Kane is a FRAUD.