Permanent Trade Proposal Thread

dlbalr

1 hour ago, Meller93 said:

I think lunqvist is a case of lack of room and also adjusting to the NA game, not failing as a prospect entirely. Let’s not forget he turned 22 just a few days ago, so at 21, he was approaching .5 ppg in his rookie AHL season. 

I think he has the potential to be a 40 point puck mover in a couple years 

Pronman has him as 5th best Ranger prospect.

https://theathletic.com/3514792/2022/08/24/new-york-rangers-nhl-pipeline-rankings-prospects/

5. Nils Lundkvist, D

21 years old | 5-foot-11 | 187 pounds | Shoots right

Drafted: No. 28 in 2018
Tier: Middle of the lineup player

Skating: NHL average
Puck skills: Below NHL average
Hockey sense: Above NHL average
Compete: NHL average
Shot: Above NHL average

Analysis: Lundkvist made the Rangers out of camp but struggled initially in the NHL and went down to Hartford for lengthy stretches. He’s an excellent puck-mover with a big point shot and in the NHL he’ll need to carve out an offensive role in order to stick. He skates well, but Lundkvist isn’t the biggest or most physical defenseman so making stops is the biggest challenge for him at the top level. I still think he’s such a smart player and the feet are good enough that he can be a top-four D in time.

On 9/1/2022 at 9:51 PM, Meller93 said:

With Nils Lunqvist asking for a trade, we should target him. Young right handed D man with a focus on offence is exactly what we need.

what we’d have to give up I’m unsure 

Others do as well it seems.

“The Post has learned that general manager Chris Drury has been working with Lundkvist’s agent, Claude Lemieux, in order to effect a trade to an organization in which the Swede would have a better opportunity to challenge for a top-four spot and role as a power-play quarterback.”

– Larry Brooks (From “Rangers trying to trade frustrated Nils Lundkvist”, New York Post, 1 Sep 2022)

One suggestion mentioned: Nils Lundkvist for Jan Myšák.

https://thehockeywriters.com/canadiens-fit-for-rangers-nils-lundkvist/

23 minutes ago, DON said:

... One suggestion mentioned: Nils Lundkvist for Jan Myšák.

https://thehockeywriters.com/canadiens-fit-for-rangers-nils-lundkvist/

If HuGo feel that Lundkvist is a legit top 4 defence prospect then losing Myšák would not bother me in the least.

That is a fair value trade under normal circumstances and the Rangers want a young center.  The Rangers aren’t really in a position with Lundkvist to get fair value.  He’s slipped out of their lineup depth chart and has already stated he is not attending training camp.  It’s close to the Drouin situation, he is refusing to play for the team under current circumstances.  He won’t have fair value, which is why I would assume he hasn’t been traded yet.

I believe he would be a fit for Montreal, I’m not sure Mysak should go to the Rangers in the current situation as They should be able to acquire him cheaper.

9 minutes ago, TurdBurglar said:

That is a fair value trade under normal circumstances and the Rangers want a young center.  The Rangers aren’t really in a position with Lundkvist to get fair value.  He’s slipped out of their lineup depth chart and has already stated he is not attending training camp.  It’s close to the Drouin situation, he is refusing to play for the team under current circumstances.  He won’t have fair value, which is why I would assume he hasn’t been traded yet.

I believe he would be a fit for Montreal, I’m not sure Mysak should go to the Rangers in the current situation as They should be able to acquire him cheaper.

Not certain what other player under NHL contract would get the trade done, and don't know that HuGo want to use up another NHL contract slot.

33 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

Not certain what other player under NHL contract would get the trade done, and don't know that HuGo want to use up another NHL contract slot.

Savard, Wideman, Barron... A #3/4guy & two #6/7 guys and not alot of depth in system on right side. Need to add at least one RH d-man this month, dont they?

https://www.habsworld.net/2022/08/assessing-the-depth-right-defencemen/

Bit more of same on the disgruntled Ranger prospect.

https://cheeringthelogo.ca/2022/09/02/rangers-gauging-trade-market-for-lundkvist/

4 hours ago, TurdBurglar said:

Based on what?  A trade request doesn't tank his value.  Here's a young defender that's a few years removed from being a first-round pick; there's still some upside.  If the options are take a mid-round pick for him or hold him, they'll do the latter like they did with Vitali Kravtsov.  Mysak is pretty close to exactly the type of comparable value Lundkvist has.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Meller93 said:

Could ylonen work? Montreal doesn’t have space for Ylonen, NYR doesn’t have space for lunqvist. Now I think Lunqvist has the higher upside, but could they values be argued to be similar?

Hope this young fella has had great off-season, but does seem log-jam at wing, for the moment.

https://www.habsworld.net/2022/09/jesse-ylonen-a-prospect-on-the-hot-seat/

I dont know if Ylonen would be equal value, or highest bid Rangers get for the young RH d-man.

Detroit, Ottawa, Vancouver have been mentioned as other possible landing spots for the Swede.

8month old video on Lundkvist;

12 hours ago, Meller93 said:

Could ylonen work? Montreal doesn’t have space for Ylonen, NYR doesn’t have space for lunqvist. Now I think Lunqvist has the higher upside, but could they values be argued to be similar?

The reports suggest the Rangers want a young centre in a trade for Lundkvist so that would take Ylonen off the table.

Ylonen is certainly no untouchable, but in terms of the logjam at RW, Dandonov will be gone at the deadline, and the Habs are certainly interested in unloading Gallagher or Armia (who may unfortunately both be untradeable, but you never know). Anderson’s name has popped up in rumours too. Meanwhile, at LW there will be openings galore within the year. 

So I wouldn’t be in any particular hurry to move a prospect on the grounds that we have no room for him. There will be room. 

But if a given deal makes sense for what the organization will need two years hence, then sure, do it.

39 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Ylonen is certainly no untouchable, but in terms of the logjam at RW, Dandonov will be gone at the deadline, and the Habs are certainly interested in unloading Gallagher or Armia (who may unfortunately both be untradeable, but you never know). Anderson’s name has popped up in rumours too. Meanwhile, at LW there will be openings galore within the year. 

So I wouldn’t be in any particular hurry to move a prospect on the grounds that we have no room for him. There will be room. 

But if a given deal makes sense for what the organization will need two years hence, then sure, do it.

Unless Dandonov starts producing like Gallagher and Armia did last year, he will be gone by the deadline. Anderson is the other most trade-able winger, but I think if he was going to be moved it would have been done by now. Considering we are at the start of September, i can’t see too many teams with the cap room remaining to take him on this year, we also can’t retain salary with the number of years he’s got left. I can’t see anyone taking Armia or Gallagher. They would have to have a major turnaround in the first half.

hoffman is probably also untradeable until next year. A least Byron will be off the books eat the end of this year. There is a lot of salary cap mess from MB that HuGo will have to deal with.

1 minute ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Unless Dandonov starts producing like Gallagher and Armia did last year, he will be gone by the deadline. Anderson is the other most trade-able winger, but I think if he was going to be moved it would have been done by now. Considering we are at the start of September, i can’t see too many teams with the cap room remaining to take him on this year, we also can’t retain salary with the number of years he’s got left. I can’t see anyone taking Armia or Gallagher. They would have to have a major turnaround in the first half.

hoffman is probably also untradeable until next year. A least Byron will be off the books eat the end of this year. There is a lot of salary cap mess from MB that HuGo will have to deal with.

Yeah, but the answer is not to move out prospects on the grounds of a "logjam." Better to have those cap vampires riding the pine or be buried in the minors than that.

I agree that it's looking very hard to move contracts right now, but things can change by the deadline. 

1 hour ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

It sounds like they want to move Armia and have shown no interest in moving Gallagher (probably because they know they can't).  But even if we call the wingers interchangeable from a positional perspective, there's Caufield, Anderson, Gallagher, Slafkovsky, Hoffman, and Pitlick that will fill six winger spots (Armia could be on the fourth line not affecting that) for 2023-24.  However, it also stands to reason that after clearing out all of these expiring contracts, they might actually want to sign an NHL-calibre replacement for one or two of them (or take on a contract in a trade) which only makes it tougher and would offset any space created with one of the contracted players being traded.

Ylonen is going to need a top-notch season to even be in the mix for 2023-24 and while I didn't want to put it this bluntly in the article, he's not good enough to have the type of season he needs to force himself into the conversation for a full-time spot next season.  His value is only going to get lower.  Honestly, the time to move him for top value has already come and gone.  When we talk about wanting management to be proactive, this is one of the things that I think of - recognize where the logjam is going to be and move the player before their value tanks once you realize the player is unlikely to reach his ceiling.

35 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

... When we talk about wanting management to be proactive, this is one of the things that I think of - recognize where the logjam is going to be and move the player before their value tanks once you realize the player is unlikely to reach his ceiling.

Branch Rickey is famous for having said "Trade a player a year too early rather than a year too late."

It is usually interpreted as relating to veteran players (i.e., trading them while still productive and before their game declines) but it is equally applicable to prospects.

I have seen glimpses of potential in Ylonen but glimpses scare the heck out me ... from time to time we see glimpses of what Armia COULD be, but know he is unlikely to ever become that player ... come 23/24 there will be other prospects who are now in the CHL/NCAA/overseas-leagues that will be looking for a spot with the Habs and/or in Laval ... I would have no issue with moving Ylonen.

On 9/3/2022 at 2:24 PM, dlbalr said:

Based on what?  A trade request doesn't tank his value.  Here's a young defender that's a few years removed from being a first-round pick; there's still some upside.  If the options are take a mid-round pick for him or hold him, they'll do the latter like they did with Vitali Kravtsov.  Mysak is pretty close to exactly the type of comparable value Lundkvist has.

Based on he’s already told the Rangers he won’t report to training camp.  He’s removing himself from the team, which will lower his value.

41 minutes ago, TurdBurglar said:

Based on he’s already told the Rangers he won’t report to training camp.  He’s removing himself from the team, which will lower his value.

A promising RH d-man prospect is always in demand.

And when have Sens, Wings, Canucks, Habs all in mix for a player like him and likely others who have picks/centre prospects to deal to Rangers, i kinda doubt will be real cheap.

A Mysak, Kidney, Beck or a pick might get it done, but i would guess are lots of other options for Rangers to pick from.

Just now, alfredoh2009 said:

I am not too impressed by Lundkvist's stats. He may be a puck moving D, but he hasn't produced much up to now.

I would rather try somewhere else

Likely none of the young PMD will have produced much, otherwise their teams wouldn't be open to moving them ... at least not for a "price" HuGo would want to pay ... for 22/23 a reasonably-priced veteran might be a safer bet, but they also need to look at the long-term on the right-side.

6 hours ago, TurdBurglar said:

So they just loan him overseas and he keeps playing closer to home.  That's exactly what happened with Vitali Kravtsov last season so they have a clear internal way of handling this already and it's not trading him for less than the right return.  That in itself isn't a big value killer, especially since it sounds like teams have known about his trade request going back to before the trade deadline (it just came out publicly last week).

11 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

I am not too impressed by Lundkvist's stats. He may be a puck moving D, but he hasn't produced much up to now.

Interesting, I find his stats line pretty impressive. At 19 and 20 he was top 3 in team scoring in arguably the 3rd best league in the world as a d man. At 21, in his first season of NA hockey, he produced close to .5ppg in the AHL. It all screams potential to me.

As for his low NHL numbers, I pay them no heed, as low ice time is literally why he’s requested a trade. 

I think Lunqvist has potential to be something like Ryan Ellis

3 hours ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

Lunqvist wants out because other Dmen are ahead of him so he gets little play time. 

Habs are thin at RD for sure but who is Lunqvist ahead of? Is he better than Barron or Harris at this point?

Would he be guaranteed a regular roster spot on the Habs right now?

Fox and Trouba both shoot right for the Rangers, and the Habs don’t have a single d man of that calibre. He’s certainly got more opportunity in mtl

• Like 1

18 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

Like Bode Wilde (2018 41st pick) Isles, or maybe Helge Grans (2020 35th pick) from the Kings? 2 names i saw tossed out there, not a clue if either are available or worth what cost would be? But, on paper are big young RH d-men would seem like good fit.