Jump to content

Permanent Trade Proposal Thread


dlbalr
 Share

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Commandant said:

Yeah, we don't need a big centre who can put up 60 points. 


if we were ready to compete for the playoffs he would be great. 
 

He isn’t worth the cost to acquire to the Habs right now (considering what the Jets paid, I doubt he is cheap!).

 

I guess there is a chance the Jets overvalue Gallagher and Armia. If that’s the cost then you do it.  IMO

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

36 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:


if we were ready to compete for the playoffs he would be great. 
 

He isn’t worth the cost to acquire to the Habs right now (considering what the Jets paid, I doubt he is cheap!).

 

I guess there is a chance the Jets overvalue Gallagher and Armia. If that’s the cost then you do it.  IMO


why not add Petry to that list for good measure 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, alfredoh2009 said:


why not add Petry to that list for good measure 


I’m hoping Petry brings us a first plus good prospect.  TSN was talking about Petry after the McDonough trade and they seem to think there is a good market for him. 
 

I think we will find out soon 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:


if we were ready to compete for the playoffs he would be great. 
 

He isn’t worth the cost to acquire to the Habs right now (considering what the Jets paid, I doubt he is cheap!).

 

I guess there is a chance the Jets overvalue Gallagher and Armia. If that’s the cost then you do it.  IMO

 

The cost is a valid argument.  Especially if you believe he really wants to be a free agent so he can go to montreal.  You can just wait on him.

 

But to say that we dont need him seems silly when we have been weak at C for so long.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, Commandant said:

 

The cost is a valid argument.  Especially if you believe he really wants to be a free agent so he can go to montreal.  You can just wait on him.

 

But to say that we dont need him seems silly when we have been weak at C for so long.


We certainly need a centre and I think the Habs address this in a couple of days. 
 

I hold a bit of hope that we might be picking #2 as well. It’s probably a long shot but to get Wright and Slaff would be amazing. 
 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

...but to get Wright and Slaff would be amazing. 

You mean Wright & Nemec would be amazing dont you? Address two holes on roster, wingers are dime a dozen.:ph34r:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

Listening to the end of the conference call, Hughes was asked about Petry.  He seemed to be very open to Petry coming back and when you think about, it's also a good negotiating ploy to make it seem like there is no panic at all to trade him. If there is not a decent offer then Petry likely stays. 

 

Hughes seems to be really slick like that.  He basically did with Lehks too who he moved 15 mins before the deadline because he was acting like he didnt want to trade an impending UFA they could not afford to re-sign so Sakic would pay more.  It seems like he's being hush on who he wants to pick to try to get NJ to trade for the 1st pick. 

 

I'd love to see Dubois too, but it doesnt make sense to trade for him.  If they want the Slovak they'd be better off waiting for Dubois to become a UFA and then sign him or just target Kadri.  I did see an article that said 2 teams are willing to offer Kadri 10 mil/yr - the Habs can't afford that - but he might give the Habs a discount.  Kadri could be the better option because he's been in more playoffs so its known that he's playoff producer, with Dubois that is still unknown.   Plus Kadri would available next year. 

 

The only way I can see Hughes losing a trade on Petry is if he's able to sign Letang.  If that happens, he doesnt need to win a trade involving Petry.  He would just need to move Petry as part of creating the cap space for Letang - that would a win in itself.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Sir_Boagalott said:

 

 I did see an article that said 2 teams are willing to offer Kadri 10 mil/yr - the Habs can't afford that - but he might give the Habs a discount.  Kadri could be the better option because he's been in more playoffs so its known that he's playoff producer, with Dubois that is still unknown.   Plus Kadri would available next year. 

 

 

I think there is zero chance the Habs sign Kadri;

a) they don't have the cap room

b) they are rebuilding and Kadri will be 32 in the fall

 

They are not going to blow things up to get better next year. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, DON said:

You mean Wright & Nemec would be amazing dont you? Address two holes on roster, wingers are dime a dozen.:ph34r:

Yes ... Nemec ...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, DON said:

You mean Wright & Nemec would be amazing dont you? Address two holes on roster, wingers are dime a dozen.:ph34r:

 

Considering Hughes admitted that they're picking between Wright, Slafkovsky, and Cooley, it would stand to reason that if they were to somehow acquire the #2 pick, they'd choose someone from that group as well instead of someone deemed no better than fourth on their list.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, DON said:

You mean Wright & Nemec would be amazing dont you? Address two holes on roster, wingers are dime a dozen.:ph34r:


250 lb skilled wingers are rare but who knows if he can play in the NHL. 

 

ONLY 2 more days to wait. It’s like waiting for Christmas when I was five

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, dlbalr said:

 

Considering Hughes admitted that they're picking between Wright, Slafkovsky, and Cooley, it would stand to reason that if they were to somehow acquire the #2 pick, they'd choose someone from that group as well instead of someone deemed no better than fourth on their list.

Wasnt thinking just 2nd pick and it aint happening anyways as Arizona/Seattle/Philly unlikely to trade down.

( i would grab Cooley and Wright if had the chance and pass on the winger, Cooley can play wing if need be.)

 

But, nice to dream and again am wondering how much of big splash Hughes will try and make. Sounds like has been window shopping and should have 1/2 decent feel of value of the 26th pick to other GMs and cost to move up. 

And almost seems less likely will pick at 26 and will be picking somewhere in the 20 to 2 range; with other stuff tossed in of course, depending on how high he is reaching.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Not a trade proposal, but an RFA signing idea given our lack of depth on D.

 

would it be worth a gamble to offer sheet Rasmus Sandin from the leafs for a 1 yes $4.2m offer?  They are up against the cap, -and - at a minimum still need to sign a goalie - or potentially two goalies.

 

would only cost us a 2023 2nd round pick for a dman, and not sure Leaf can afford risking the cap hit, given their limited space this year and having to qualify him for at least that amount in 2024 as well. If the leafs match, we screw them on cap space. If it works out, we have to qualify him at a higher salary in 2023. 
 

is it worth taking the gamble on a 22 year old dman?  I see this as a win-win for us. We either screw over a rival if they match. If they don’t, and if it works out, we pay a decent amount for a 22 year old that has potential to be a top 4 or better dman.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Not a trade proposal, but an RFA signing idea given our lack of depth on D.

 

would it be worth a gamble to offer sheet Rasmus Sandin from the leafs for a 1 yes $4.2m offer?  They are up against the cap, -and - at a minimum still need to sign a goalie - or potentially two goalies.

 

would only cost us a 2023 2nd round pick for a dman, and not sure Leaf can afford risking the cap hit, given their limited space this year and having to qualify him for at least that amount in 2024 as well. If the leafs match, we screw them on cap space. If it works out, we have to qualify him at a higher salary in 2023. 
 

is it worth taking the gamble on a 22 year old dman?  I see this as a win-win for us. We either screw over a rival if they match. If they don’t, and if it works out, we pay a decent amount for a 22 year old that has potential to be a top 4 or better dman.

 

I see the logic and Sandin is probably well worth a 2nd round pick but don't think we can afford the cap hit either without clearing cap space.  I see their LD next year as Edmundson, Romanov with hopefully Harris working in the mix.  I do think the Leafs are vulnerable and why wouldn't a Seattle or Arizona who have tons of 2nd round  picks  do it? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Not a trade proposal, but an RFA signing idea given our lack of depth on D.

 

would it be worth a gamble to offer sheet Rasmus Sandin from the leafs for a 1 yes $4.2m offer?  They are up against the cap, -and - at a minimum still need to sign a goalie - or potentially two goalies.

 

would only cost us a 2023 2nd round pick for a dman, and not sure Leaf can afford risking the cap hit, given their limited space this year and having to qualify him for at least that amount in 2024 as well. If the leafs match, we screw them on cap space. If it works out, we have to qualify him at a higher salary in 2023. 
 

is it worth taking the gamble on a 22 year old dman?  I see this as a win-win for us. We either screw over a rival if they match. If they don’t, and if it works out, we pay a decent amount for a 22 year old that has potential to be a top 4 or better dman.

 

You're correct in that Toronto can't afford that cap hit but neither can the Habs.  I get the logic but Montreal would be losing more than a second-round pick in the move as they'd have to part with a roster player or two (while dealing from a disadvantage) simply to afford him.  If they have to pay a pick or two to move one of those players out, all of a sudden the acquisition price becomes quite steep for the right to pay him on an above-market deal.  He's also a lefty that can't play the right; Montreal has a ton of lefties in the system already while the right side is the big weakness.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

 

I see the logic and Sandin is probably well worth a 2nd round pick but don't think we can afford the cap hit either without clearing cap space.  I see their LD next year as Edmundson, Romanov with hopefully Harris working in the mix.  I do think the Leafs are vulnerable and why wouldn't a Seattle or Arizona who have tons of 2nd round  picks  do it? 

 

Habs29’s proposal is pretty frigging brilliant if you ask me, especially as we have picks coming out of our butt-holes and Sandin is only 22. I’m also pretty sure we can cover the cap hit; so much of that money is wasted on old men like Paul Byron that it could just be a matter of burying one in the minors to make room. Whether Hugh-Gort are willing to face the loathing that accrues from offer sheets is another question.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

 

Habs29’s proposal is pretty frigging brilliant if you ask me, especially as we have picks coming out of our butt-holes and Sandin is only 22. I’m also pretty sure we can cover the cap hit; so much of that money is wasted on old men like Paul Byron that it could just be a matter of burying one in the minors to make room. Whether Hugh-Gort are willing to face the loathing that accrues from offer sheets is another question.

I think it’s more about the stigma for offer sheets that will deter Hughes.  Although it is Toronto, but it will have a ripple effect on the rest of the league.

 

You’ve gotta think that other teams have considered it as well.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, TurdBurglar said:

I think it’s more about the stigma for offer sheets that will deter Hughes.  Although it is Toronto, but it will have a ripple effect on the rest of the league.

 

You’ve gotta think that other teams have considered it as well.

 

In all honesty, it may be unwise for a rebuilding team to offer-sheet. A team that is accumulating young players and prospects would be making itself a target of retaliatory and/or punitive offer sheets to its own top players. As we know all too well. The ideal profile of an offer-sheeting team is a club that desperately needs young talent because its shelves are bare.

 

Of course, if GMs acted like grown-ups and approached the offer-sheet as simply one business tool among others, instead of as some horrible violation of the gentleman’s agreement that says that Good Guys Don’t Offer Sheet, this would not be the case. But because Old Boys will be Old Boys, it is the case. 

 

So I seriously doubt Hugh-Gort will go there. It poses too much risk to their own cherished young players.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I forgot that Montreal also has Guhle on the left side who I think is going to be a top 4 defenseman. It will be interesting if another team tries it as Sandin is worth a 2nd rounder  but does another team want to risk any sort of retaliation.  Dubas knows he is vulnerable.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, dlbalr said:

 

You're correct in that Toronto can't afford that cap hit but neither can the Habs.  I get the logic but Montreal would be losing more than a second-round pick in the move as they'd have to part with a roster player or two (while dealing from a disadvantage) simply to afford him.  If they have to pay a pick or two to move one of those players out, all of a sudden the acquisition price becomes quite steep for the right to pay him on an above-market deal.  He's also a lefty that can't play the right; Montreal has a ton of lefties in the system already while the right side is the big weakness.

I’m assuming that we will be moving a few players over the next week and have roster and cap room opened up). I get that we need righties. But Sandin should be more NHL ready than some of our young guys, and he is SUPPOSED to be the Leafs best D prospect.  Just not sure how he projects out in comparison to others (I.e. Harris, Guhle). I also wouldn’t want our young guys having to play in the NHL, or they would be better served in Laval.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Habs29’s proposal is pretty frigging brilliant if you ask me, especially as we have picks coming out of our butt-holes and Sandin is only 22. I’m also pretty sure we can cover the cap hit; so much of that money is wasted on old men like Paul Byron that it could just be a matter of burying one in the minors to make room. Whether Hugh-Gort are willing to face the loathing that accrues from offer sheets is another question.

 

The Habs have less than $2M in cap space and still need to re-sign Romanov, Pezzetta, and Pitlick which will cost more than the money they have.  As it is, they need to dump salary.  Burying Byron in the minors (which only saves a little over a million notwithstanding the fact they'd need a cheap replacement) isn't making up the difference.  Vastly overpaying Sandin will cost them another couple of roster players that they'll either have to give away on the cheap or pay assets to get off the books without retention.

 

Now, the cost for Sandin becomes a 2nd round pick, two roster players, and whatever else it costs to offload the contract.  All of that for the ability to pay him a well-above market value deal while not actually filling a team need since the Habs have plenty of left-shot defenders as it is.

 

Sandin is absolutely a target for an offer sheet but it shouldn't be from Montreal.  There's no money or even much room for him on the roster.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

I’m assuming that we will be moving a few players over the next week and have roster and cap room opened up). I get that we need righties. But Sandin should be more NHL ready than some of our young guys, and he is SUPPOSED to be the Leafs best D prospect.  Just not sure how he projects out in comparison to others (I.e. Harris, Guhle). I also wouldn’t want our young guys having to play in the NHL, or they would be better served in Laval.

 

Montreal's cap situation could change over the next few days (I'm not convinced the big changes are coming like some are) which yes, could change the scenario. 

 

Sandin, if all goes well, is a second-pairing guy with some complementary offensive skill that could put him in a PP2 role.  Not a bad role by any stretch but he's probably not a high-end core player in the long haul.  Is wildly overpaying him worth it to make Guhle start in the minors when he's already more than NHL-ready?  I don't think so.  I'm higher on Guhle than a lot of people are so perhaps my bias is clouding me here but I think he's a more impactful NHL defenceman next season than Sandin is.

 

I get the part about hurting the Leafs but I don't think the Habs are in a spot to be able to justify doing that.  At least, not for a player that they don't need.  If he was a righty, then yep, I'd be onboard as it would fill a big organizational hole and that's worth taking a swing at even at a higher cost in the end.  But LD isn't a long-term need with Guhle and Romanov long-term pieces with a whole bunch of other prospects conceivably in the mix for the third spot down the road.  Odds being odds, one of the half-dozen or so they have will make it.  Sandin isn't a fit short-term or long-term as things stand so why pay that much just to hurt a rival without really improving yourself all that much?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

I wonder what we would have to give up to get Chicago's 2023 1st round pick?  LOL 

 

Now what Chicago is doing fits the definition of a "tank".


I believe the whole point is to get the #1 in 2023 so doubt it will be available and not to the Habs with their lacklustre assets to offer.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...