The OffSeason Thread

Commandant

This team isn't far off. I feel a lot better about this current team than I did in 2010. Nothing to feel sad about.

Off-season

1) Trade Budaj for a late draft pick, Tokarski is the number 2 now.
2) Re-Sign Markov. There is no UFA defenceman who can replace him.
3) Move Eller permanently to Left Wing. Its time for Alex Galchenyuk to play centre. Yes Eller has been bad there in short spurts, but I think he'll learn if put there permanently.
4) Need to find a winger to play with Galchenyuk... If Vanek was playing hurt, it might be him, if not, or he wants to leave, sign someone like Moulson, or Gaborik, or Iginla, or other.....
5) Let Murray and Bouillion walk.... re-sign Weaver.
6) Let Gionta Walk.....
7) Trade Moen (just no room for him).

Forwards

Pacioretty - David Desharnais - Gallagher
Eller - Alex Galchenyuk - See #4
Bournival - Plekanec - Bourque
Prust - Briere - Weise
White

Possible to make the team: Andrighetto.

Defence
Gorges - Subban

Markov - Emelin
Beaulieu - Weaver
Tinordi vs Pateryn (training camp battle)

Goalie

Price
Tokarski

What do you guys think about Plekanec? Of course he's still a great defensive forward, but I think he lost a step in the post season. Maybe he was just gassed. I'm not saying he should be traded by any means, but my only question is, is there anyone is the league who could fit the role of a third line Center for cheaper than him now (without sacrificing too much)

Just looking at all options. I mean, Eller had a strong post season, and despite bad point production last season, I think we could agree he played well defensively, not to mention that he's more physical than plex.

Bottom line is that trading plex could free up 5 mill to sign a left wing for Eller's spot (2.5-3.5 mill) and have more left for that right winger. (Moulson Iggy Vanek etc)

Just a thought, not dumping on Plekanec

Ps. Proud of the boys this year. Gave of some exciting hockey late in the playoffs.

Here's a short list of left wingers either by FA or trade that might look alright: Mason Raymond, Milan Micalek, Darren Helm, Brendan Morrow, Tomas Fleischman and actually moulson is listed as a left winger. All of these guys would either bring a combination of size, speed, defensive awareness, or scoring ability

This team isn't far off. I feel a lot better about this current team than I did in 2010. Nothing to feel sad about.

Off-season

1) Trade Budaj for a late draft pick, Tokarski is the number 2 now.

2) Re-Sign Markov. There is no UFA defenceman who can replace him.

3) Move Eller permanently to Left Wing. Its time for Alex Galchenyuk to play centre. Yes Eller has been bad there in short spurts, but I think he'll learn if put there permanently.

4) Need to find a winger to play with Galchenyuk... If Vanek was playing hurt, it might be him, if not, or he wants to leave, sign someone like Moulson, or Gaborik, or Iginla, or other.....

5) Let Murray and Bouillion walk.... re-sign Weaver.

6) Let Gionta Walk.....

7) Trade Moen (just no room for him).

Forwards

Pacioretty - David Desharnais - Gallagher

Eller - Alex Galchenyuk - See #4

Bournival - Plekanec - Bourque

Prust - Briere - Weise

White

Possible to make the team: Andrighetto.

Defence

Gorges - Subban

Markov - Emelin

Beaulieu - Weaver

Tinordi vs Pateryn (training camp battle)

Goalie

Price

Tokarski

Pretty much sums it all up. So how much work will it get to make Subban our highest paid player?

I give MB full credit for the success this year. Outstanding He is getting to an area where he has to make the tough decisions, which may fly in the face of popular opinion , to move this thing forward. Tough market---hope he has nads

I don't believe we will be able to afford Weaver. Whatever we want to pay him, the New York Islanders will be able to promise more minutes and more money (even with them being a cheap team). We have Markov and Subban as priorities. Time to get Tinordi in there.

I think the team will try to package several players to get a superstar winger. Free Agency won't solve that question. That's where guys like Moen and Bourque will come in handy.

|||||||| 1 |||||||| Galchenyuk Gallagher

Pacioretty Desharnais |||||||| 2 ||||||||

Bourque Eller Weise

Prust Bournival Briere

White

|||||||| 3 |||||||| Subban

Markov Emelin

Beaulieu Weaver

Tinordi Pateryn

Price

Tokarski

1 :: Vanek replacement. Sniper.

2 :: Rookie | FA signing | Via Trade.

3 :: Trade Plekanec, Gorges, Moen.. (Tokarski & Keep Budaj).. for a McDonagh replacement. Legit #2 minute eater.

Things I want to see

- Briere at center. Third line or fourth line. I like his role at center. Less minutes seem to preserve him and let him explode when needed.

- Gallagher off the Patches/DD line. He worked himself into dust on that line. Pacioretty and DD kind of relied on Gallagher to take the attention. I'd rather see him back with Galchenyuk.

- Subban signed before the draft.

- Markov signed before free agency.

- A decision made with Budaj that respects him because he's been one of our best backups ever. I'm tempted to even just see what kind of deal we'd get for Tokarski instead. It's a good problem.

- A big trade that moves bodies out for a top class player but only if the team is ready to up certain players minutes.

What do you guys think about Plekanec? Of course he's still a great defensive forward, but I think he lost a step in the post season. Maybe he was just gassed. I'm not saying he should be traded by any means, but my only question is, is there anyone is the league who could fit the role of a third line Center for cheaper than him now (without sacrificing too much)

Just looking at all options. I mean, Eller had a strong post season, and despite bad point production last season, I think we could agree he played well defensively, not to mention that he's more physical than plex.

Bottom line is that trading plex could free up 5 mill to sign a left wing for Eller's spot (2.5-3.5 mill) and have more left for that right winger. (Moulson Iggy Vanek etc)

Just a thought, not dumping on Plekanec

Ps. Proud of the boys this year. Gave of some exciting hockey late in the playoffs.

Points wise, Plekanec is still a second line centre.

Playoffs he was given huge defensive zone starts, and the way he played against Stamkow, Kreijci and Bergeron, was a major reason we won those two series. I don't think Eller is ready to replace him yet.

Here is what I would do:

Goalies: Tokarski is now Price's backup. Budaj has to go.

Defense: Subban will be signed. I would not give more than two years to Markov. He probably will get 4 to 5 million for 4 years somewhere. No way we can afford to pay as much. Unfortunately, he won't be back. If it's the case, Gorges might stay (if Markov stays, Gorges will be traded). Murray, Bouillon and Dreweski (you guys forgot that one!) won't make it. It leaves Subban, Markov (or Gorges), Emelin, Weaver (because he is a rightie), Tinordi, Beaulieu and Pateryn (we need seven defensemen). If MB wants some extra depth, Bouillon will be the man.

Offense: DD, Chucky, Eller, Bournival (he should be given a fair chance) will play center. Plekanec will be traded. Pax, Bourque, Prust at left wing. Gallagher and Weise at right wing. I would keep Brière and White as backups. Vanek and Parros would not be back. Not sure about Moen and Gionta either.

It looks like a lot of changes, but it won't come to that. It depends if MB is able to move some players or not. For example, it might be very hard to trade Gorges because of his contract. Same thing if we wanted to move Gionta or Moen.

To summarize, I would be disappointed if we could not find room to two young defensemen. I also want Chucky and Eller to play centre. On the wings, we need some fresh blood. Let's say two guys good enough to play on the 2nd or 3rd line. Nobody seems ready at Hamilton to fill that role, so the prospects will come through a trade or free agency.

The summer will be interesting.

Defense: Subban will be signed. I would not give more than two years to Markov. He probably will get 4 to 5 million for 4 years somewhere. No way we can afford to pay as much. Unfortunately, he won't be back. If it's the case, Gorges might stay (if Markov stays, Gorges will be traded). Murray, Bouillon and Dreweski (you guys forgot that one!) won't make it. It leaves Subban, Markov (or Gorges), Emelin, Weaver (because he is a rightie), Tinordi, Beaulieu and Pateryn (we need seven defensemen). If MB wants some extra depth, Bouillon will be the man.

Drewiske isn't a UFA though like Bouillon/Murray. He's signed for next year already.

All you guys that want Plek traded, I will be taking names if it happens. The guy was awesome all season and great in the first two rounds of the playoffs. I would not trade Plek, let Gionta walk, and trade Gorges. My god. We would be the oilers. The team lost this series because of lack of defensensive speed, and lack of Price to stick handle and help the transition. If Plek is traded, I better see Kevin Bieksa in a Habs sweater.

All you guys that want Plek traded, I will be taking names if it happens. The guy was awesome all season and great in the first two rounds of the playoffs. I would not trade Plek, let Gionta walk, and trade Gorges. My god. We would be the oilers. The team lost this series because of lack of defensensive speed, and lack of Price to stick handle and help the transition. If Plek is traded, I better see Kevin Bieksa in a Habs sweater.

I don't expect Plekanec to be traded, maybe in another year but definitly not in the offseason. He's definitly the teams most trusted player right now. I can definitly see what commandant has down the middle but I think with the way MT opperates it'll happen at some point during the season depending on how the offense goes. I see our no 1 need as a mobile top 4 defensemen and no 2 a top 6 forward.

For me, the essentials are to get a top 4 D, and increase size and speed up front, and I don't mean moar big, I mean Weise type size and speed. DD, Briere and Gally are the only smurfs we can afford on this team going forward. Everyone elase needs to be at least 6' 190-210 lbs, lol....
Size and speed up front, even if just at one position.... Gionta's. I like Bournival at least here...
Gionta is done, I wouldn't him at $50 bucks per period pay rate. 1 goal in 17 playoff games from your captain? Not acceptable, I like Bournival in his roster spot.

Markov, sign him, but not for more than two years, he needs to play fewer minutes if nothing else, but just make preparations for his departure I say...he is not top 4 anymore, so that makes obtaining a top 4 minute eater an essential for this team.

Which brings me to, keep Gorges, give him the C, or have 3 A's until an apparent Captain emerges, it's obvious he is the Captain anyway....

RFA's.... Eller, White, Weise, and obviously Subban must be re-signed, all a part of a young core, and they all have game.

Plekanec? Don't you guys ever get sick of the same level of play in May as he gives in October? I do, I am, I hope Bergevin is too... if he is kept, he needs to be #3 center, no more #2, guy can't score enough.... and his value has peaked. Chicago has some young D with potential, and a real need for a Center like Plekanec. And yeah BCHabnut, Bieksa would be awesome....

Plekanec + will get us in the discussion for a good top 4 D via trade. It's time for realization of an asset's value while it has value, disappointing playoff performer every time he is in the playoffs. Too soft and not savage enough for me.... Eller can do his part and then some, no doubt in my mind after he lead our forwards in scoring this playoff run, and was great defensively, his time has come, he just needs to be given the role, and will have the confidence to pull it off. No brainer....

Briere at center, whatever his ice time for crying out loud MT.... Galchenyuk at Center, Gally on his RW, the real Rene Bourque could assume the left wing for the Galchenyuk line, I think it would work just fine, but I did like Bourque with Eller and Weise, the only line that played well vs Rangers in my opinion.

A scoring/physical winger on DD and Patches line, a true top 6 guy via trade or Free agency, no Vanek's need apply....

Moen is signed, so keep him as 4th line depth.

Give Ryan White a chance FFS will ya MT?

Tinordi, Beaulieu, Pateryn given a serious look at camp, and cut loose the obvious in Murray, Parros, Cube, let one of these guys try to make Gorges expendable next season.... keep Weaver for depth.
Tokarski is signed at league minimum, no way I trade the only thing between me and oblivion if Price gets injured long term, we just learned that lesson....
Let him start in Hamilton and eat up minutes, or start in MTL so Price doesn't have to play 70 games....

With our young D prospects seasoned pretty well in the AHL, if we could utilize them on the NHL roster(and still maintain the nurture of their development), it would help big time on the salary cap, maybe we could actually bring in a winger and or a top 4 D that are elite of nature, at least before the deadline....

Bergevin watched the same playoffs that we did, it will be interesting to see what he does, tries to do, and gets done.... I will bet my eye teeth that all softness gets scraped off the roster....

Great thread Commandant.

A few thoughts

*Three kids on the back end, and no Pleki will get MT fired. It has to be one or the other. Hopefully neither. They need the kids to battle it out for 7th. If Pateryn or Tinordi or Beaulieu force someone out, a trade will happen. That's the culture that MB has created.

*Ryan White is a great kid, but he's a terrible hockey player. He can't find the line, he's not capable of playing under Therrien. But that's ok! Not every coach is a fit for every player, and Therrien is no Iron Mike

*Briere needs go. He didn't give us the boost we were looking for, and he can't find the defensive zone with Google Maps. Give his spot to Bournival, or sign someone with CHaracter. Jay McClement might be availbale.

*Mötley Fists-Goons, goons, goons! Essential for the rivalry games, especially when you have a psychopath issuing death threats. Mike Rupp, Tanner Glass and Cody McCormick are all available. They can all play better than Gentle George. I'm partial to Rupp. Tootoo is also around, but he's not right upstairs.

*Moen, many are saying that Weise had made him expendable, but he's valuable on the PK. Don't forget that Weise has already been injured twice.

*A winger is needed. Jarome Iginla, Jussi Jokinen (shootouts) and Matt Moulson are good picks.

*Brooks Orpik is available, he would be a nice option for Subban, if they let Markov go.

Opening night roster:

Pacioretty-Desharnais-Gallagher

Eller-Galchenyuk-Moulson

Bourque-Plekanec-Weise

Bournival-McClement-Rupp

Subban-Gorges

Markov-Emelin

Weaver-Beaulieu

Tinordi

Price

For the record I said "I'm not saying he should be traded by any means" I don't want to get rid of Plecanek, I just think he's starting to slow down.

Points wise, Plekanec is still a second line centre.

Playoffs he was given huge defensive zone starts, and the way he played against Stamkow, Kreijci and Bergeron, was a major reason we won those two series. I don't think Eller is ready to replace him yet.

I don't mean to make you look silly, but I agree with you. Pleks is a marvel.

Whatever happens this off season I have faith in Bergevin, he seems to be a visionary. I can't recall a single move he has made that I didn't like at the time or that it turned out bad.

Whatever happens this off season I have faith in Bergevin, he seems to be a visionary. I can't recall a single move he has made that I didn't like at the time or that it turned out bad.

I trust bergevin will do whats right to keep improving this team. His in season moves this year were a big help.

I think the main move I questioned was the Briere signing. Didn't like the fact he got multiple years and so much money for a player on the decline that just got bought out.

I trust bergevin will do whats right to keep improving this team. His in season moves this year were a big help.

I think the main move I questioned was the Briere signing. Didn't like the fact he got multiple years and so much money for a player on the decline that just got bought out.

Briere at $4m for two years isn't bad at all. He is on the decline yes, that's why he only got $4m instead of the $7m he was previously signed to. At least we didn't sign Lecavalier for 5 years.

Eller has proven he is awful on the wing. Keep him as the 3rd line center. If you want to play Gally at center that means one of DD or Pleks has to go. Pleks can get you a 2nd line RW.

Subban will be resigned. I would not resign Markov, He is one of my favorite all time habs players but s pretty poor with mobility and defense. They need to land a top 4Dman who is a RD and move Emelin back to the LD,

I don't know if Vanek was injured, if he was he would be worth resigning, he was rally good wen healthy. If he wasn't injured then no reason to sign him, didn't show much in the playoffs.

They can't resign Gionta, he was invisible in the playoffs, he is small and they have enough small forwards.

Goal tending will sort itself out, it doesn't matter to me who is the backup if Price is healthy. Budaj has been a really good back up for them.

They still need to get bigger, younger and faster as a team, especially on the back end. Bouillon, Murray should not be resigned, If they can find a bigger more physical stay at home RD man to play on the bottom pair I would go there. If not, Weaver was really good and should be reigned.