2021 NHL General Discussion

hab29RETIRED

31 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

Pens are still working at this, but bot Mellanby and Rangers AGM Drury declined to apply for the position. Maybe Mellanby is positioning himself as Bergevin's successor?

Can he speak French?

Just now, hab29RETIRED said:

Can he speak French?

He did go to school in Canada, so likely he gained at least some basic French skills. Whether he has kept them up (he has lived in Montreal for eight years now) is anyone's guess. But he's clearly happy in Montreal at the moment, whether he's expecting to eventually become a GM or not.

1 hour ago, tomh009 said:

He did go to school in Canada, so likely he gained at least some basic French skills. Whether he has kept them up (he has lived in Montreal for eight years now) is anyone's guess. But he's clearly happy in Montreal at the moment, whether he's expecting to eventually become a GM or not.

I'm pretty sure Mellanby has been based out of St. Louis for his entire tenure with Montreal.

52 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

I'm pretty sure Mellanby has been based out of St. Louis for his entire tenure with Montreal.

I once saw him at the Marriott after a game I went to in Montreal, so that seems to lend credence to that theory.  When he was in town, he was staying in a hotel. 

3 hours ago, tomh009 said:

Pens are still working at this, but bot Mellanby and Rangers AGM Drury declined to apply for the position. Maybe Mellanby is positioning himself as Bergevin's successor?

Depending on why Rutherford resigned ... I suspect other teams have a pretty good idea of the reason, it is tight knit community ... Drury and Mellanby may just not want into that situation.

3 hours ago, tomh009 said:

Not certain when there will an opening with the habs ... as things are going to start the season, MB is making a pretty good case for an extension (although lots - good or bad - could still happen in the 44 remaining games) ... of course it is possible that he may want to leave ... have read rumoury rumours (i.e., not a solid source, more speculation) that after 12 years with Bowman Chicago may be looking to move on from Stan and would be interested in Bergevin ... 

8 hours ago, GHT120 said:

Not certain when there will an opening with the habs ... as things are going to start the season, MB is making a pretty good case for an extension (although lots - good or bad - could still happen in the 44 remaining games) ... of course it is possible that he may want to leave ... have read rumoury rumours (i.e., not a solid source, more speculation) that after 12 years with Bowman Chicago may be looking to move on from Stan and would be interested in Bergevin ... 

They just gave Bowman a promotion a few months ago.  They don't do that if they're looking to move on.

12 hours ago, GHT120 said:

Depending on why Rutherford resigned ... I suspect other teams have a pretty good idea of the reason, it is tight knit community ... Drury and Mellanby may just not want into that situation.

That team is a no win situation for the next gm.

If you win.  You get no credit.  It was crosby, malkin, and rutherfords team that won.

They have nothing in the prospect pipeline and Crosby and Malkin arent getting younger.  So when they start sucking, you are the GM who takes the heat for that.

4 hours ago, dlbalr said:

They just gave Bowman a promotion a few months ago.  They don't do that if they're looking to move on.

OR ... they may be looking to move on from Stan as general manager ... Bowman would be smart to do that (IMO) as it likely gives him slightly more job security ... if his first pick doesn't work out he likely would get a second shot at picking a GM.

21 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

Yeah, so who wants to be remembered as the guy who traded Crosby for a bunch of picks and prospects?

You mean a second, two thirds and Ryan Poehling?

Sounds like the PLD for Laine trade is going well.  Torts benched Laine now.  

I’m not going to question the reasons, but when Torts benched a good young player and created a rift, then that player gets traded for another young good player and Torts benches him as well, aren’t there going to be a lot of eyes on him?

6 hours ago, TurdBurglar said:

Sounds like the PLD for Laine trade is going well.  Torts benched Laine now.  

I’m not going to question the reasons, but when Torts benched a good young player and created a rift, then that player gets traded for another young good player and Torts benches him as well, aren’t there going to be a lot of eyes on him?

Will Laine be the end of Torts?

Nah I don’t think so. I bet Laine simply leaves when he hits UFA status. 

Not sure why Columbus continues to allow Torts to drive great players out

2 hours ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

... Not sure why Columbus continues to allow Torts to drive great players out

Likely because they have been in the playoffs every full season he has coached the team

The Pens have found their scapegoats for future turmoil ...

Ron Hextall as new GM

and 

Brian Burke as President of Hockey Ops

just gotta say I hope realignment has us in their division cuz their demise is nigh. 

6 hours ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

Will Laine be the end of Torts?

Nah I don’t think so. I bet Laine simply leaves when he hits UFA status. 

Not sure why Columbus continues to allow Torts to drive great players out

Laine is not going to last 3 years under Torts. 

I think this is Torts last season in Columbus.

27 minutes ago, revvvrob said:

The Pens have found their scapegoats for future turmoil ...

Ron Hextall as new GM

and 

Brian Burke as President of Hockey Ops

just gotta say I hope realignment has us in their division cuz their demise is nigh. 

Hextall did an excellent job in Philly and was fired way too soon.  The strong team that the flyers have now, with plenty of successful draft picks, and lots of good young players on their team were mainly acquired during his time. 

Laine's benching in Columbus has obviously been highly publicized. But in addition, Kulak was bench for over half the game. Grigorenko and Texier (who has been among their best players this season) were benched for a stretch of the game. And now we find out Mikko Koivu is retiring out of seemingly nowhere.

How much longer can Jarmo allow this situation to unfold? Torts is just throwing gasoline on what is quickly becoming a dumpster fire. Johansen. Anderson. Panarin. Bobrovsky. Duchene. Dubois. None wanted to be in Columbus. Especially when you have a franchise that struggles to keep talent, how can you keep letting the coach treat players like crap? Yes, he's been more successful than any other coach the team has ever had, but the current product is not good enough! Torts can have all the Folgino and Jenner types he wants, but he's not going to win big without being able to put his own ego aside. 

4 minutes ago, Fanpuck33 said:

Laine's benching in Columbus has obviously been highly publicized. But in addition, Kulak was bench for over half the game. Grigorenko and Texier (who has been among their best players this season) were benched for a stretch of the game. And now we find out Mikko Koivu is retiring out of seemingly nowhere.

How much longer can Jarmo allow this situation to unfold? Torts is just throwing gasoline on what is quickly becoming a dumpster fire. Johansen. Anderson. Panarin. Bobrovsky. Duchene. Dubois. None wanted to be in Columbus. Especially when you have a franchise that struggles to keep talent, how can you keep letting the coach treat players like crap? Yes, he's been more successful than any other coach the team has ever had, but the current product is not good enough! Torts can have all the Folgino and Jenner types he wants, but he's not going to win big without being able to put his own ego aside. 

They should have fired him after the first exodus. 

Laine might finally be the star that kills Torts. 

I would fire Torts then if the market is good I would sell and rebuild. This team is fragmented and there isn’t much in the minors. 

If I was the owner I would without question clean house completely. 

10 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

They should have fired him after the first exodus. 

Laine might finally be the star that kills Torts. 

I would fire Torts then if the market is good I would sell and rebuild. This team is fragmented and there isn’t much in the minors. 

If I was the owner I would without question clean house completely. 

To this point, I think it has made sense to stick with him. Driving Johansen away netted the team Seth Jones, so that is easily forgiven. Bobrovsky and Panarin I never got the feeling that they wanted out because of Torts. Maybe Bob did, but I think not signing him to a major deal was a blessing. And Panarin seemed most interested in a big market. Duchene, it's hard to say since he wasn't around very long. But it seemed pretty obvious that's what drove Dubois away. And now that he's pulling the same crap with Laine, it's time to read the writing on the wall.

I don't think there is any reason to rebuild. Get rid of the source of the fragmentation and I have no doubt this can be a good team. The team has talent. They just need to keep building around Jones, Werenski, Laine, Bjorkstrand, Atkinson, etc.

1 hour ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

I wonder what the game plan is in Pittsburg?

Try for one more cup or blow it up and rebuild?

I would explore blowing it up - see what kind of value Crosby and Malkin have and rebuild if great value is there. 
Get back high end young players and draft picks. 

Pierre McGuire (friend of Mario Lemieux and runner-up to Rutherford the last time around) on TSN690 with Mitch Melnick this afternoon said that the higher ups with the Pens have always felt that as long as they have Crosby, Malkin and Letang the team has to try to win ... and there is little interest in trading them to rebuild ... not that I wouldn't be tempted to suggest they do that ... 

This is a topic that’s all over the place for me because while I can see the argument against Tortorella’s actions, we’re basically saying that modern age athletes have to be pampered. 

I remember as an 8 year old, I would get upset at the thought of one of the better players on the team getting a double shift over me, and at that age, I think playing time should be split fairly evenly.

In the NHL, I find that there is nothing wrong with having to earn your minutes. It’s perhaps arguable whether or not the method of benching a player actually works with everyone. As a coach, it is very important to know the personality of your players, and how to push their buttons. As a result, it would be incorrect to assume that every single player Torts has done this with, will actually benefit in a positive manner. In this way, Tortorella certainly needs the ability to have some introspection about his actions. 

In the end, whether or not one agrees with his method, there have been a substantial amount of people who have claimed that Dubois’ famous “shift” was indeed putrid, and that Laine was indeed motionless as he left a player wide open to score a goal. 

I find it hard to believe that Torts is simply out there pushing buttons at random, which I understand no one is suggesting. But if I am a player that Torts benched, then I am simply pointing the finger at myself rather than the coach.

It’s a very fine line for me, because Dubois and Laine could cry themselves out of town all they want, and Tortorella could very well be the influence that pushed them over the top. However, on the other hand, these star players need to have a better attitude, if they would want to jump ship at the first sign of adversity.

I was always a hustler on the ice who worked hard every shift, and so I would have been fine on a Tortorella led team and tend to view it as up to the player not to give Tortorella a reason to treat them/me in such a manner. On the other hand, Tortorella would need to understand that Laine will never have McDavid’s speed, nor Tomas Plekanec’s defensive prowess and he should therefore never expect such. He (Torts) perhaps has room to grow as well.

6 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

Pierre McGuire (friend of Mario Lemieux and runner-up to Rutherford the last time around) on TSN690 with Mitch Melnick this afternoon said that the higher ups with the Pens have always felt that as long as they have Crosby, Malkin and Letang the team has to try to win ... and there is little interest in trading them to rebuild ... not that I wouldn't be tempted to suggest they do that ... 

That plan can work for a shot at cups over next couple of seasons for sure with some good FA signings. 

I think that would turn them into a Chicago after that and they are already on their way. 

• dlbalr unpinned this topic