Jump to content

2021 NHL Offseason


 Share

Recommended Posts

Looks like something big between Vancouver/Arizona - Ekman-Larsson and Garland to the Canucks, 9th overall pick plus some cap dumps (Eriksson, Beagle, and Roussel - yes, all of them) to Arizona.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Habsfan89 said:

Looks like big trade between Vancouver and phoenix with OEL going to Vancouver wow😮😮

 

I have no idea what Vancouver's thinking here.  Ekman-Larsson is already declining quickly and is signed through 2026-27.  Sure, they dumped their deadweight contracts in this trade which helps them for this season but they just added a brutal contract to their books for the sake of trying to make the playoffs next year.  That's going to cost them down the road.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I like it from Vancouver’s side.. OEL has been bad on a terrible team, he’ll be a bit better on the Nucks, plus Garland is a nice depth forward.

 

Teams are paying premium for dmen this off-season, which isn’t great for Montreal considering a good summer would be adding two. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think you’re wrong on this one. OEL, in book, is the most underrated player in the leauge.

 

With the right team, he’s a Norris candidate.

 

Arizona picking up Loui Eriksson is the ”bad move” in this deal as he’s SO dependable on team mates to set him up. (Jordin Tootoo, anyone?!)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, dlbalr said:

 

Consider what Philly had to do yesterday to free up the rest of the money for this trade.  The trade is basically Pick 14, 2022 2nd, 2023 2nd, 2022 7th, Hagg, and Gostisbehere for Ristolainen (who has one year left on his contract).  That's a big price to pay.

I thought you they were moving money out for Jones. Not much separating ghost from Risto- risto is a bit better overall. Maybe they see him as a one year rental, before signing Jones next year?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Ristolainen is another player that has far more potential than what he’s lived up to.

 

Good move by the Sabres, assuming they will pick Powers.

 

As I see it, this might be a trade that benefits all involved.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, dlbalr said:

 

I have no idea what Vancouver's thinking here.  Ekman-Larsson is already declining quickly and is signed through 2026-27.  Sure, they dumped their deadweight contracts in this trade which helps them for this season but they just added a brutal contract to their books for the sake of trying to make the playoffs next year.  That's going to cost them down the road.

How much salary did they actually dump?? They still have to resign Paterson, Hughes, Boeser.  I would have thought that they needed to move Schmidt as well.

I think OEL is better than he has shown- could be a situation where a change of scenery is required, but Vancouver is risking a lot given they need to sign their  young core.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

28 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Oel used to he that player 4 years ago.  Hes fallen off badly.

 

Benning got played imo.

When hasn’t he gotten played?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

31 minutes ago, ch_nl said:

I think you’re wrong on this one. OEL, in book, is the most underrated player in the leauge.

 

With the right team, he’s a Norris candidate.

 

Arizona picking up Loui Eriksson is the ”bad move” in this deal as he’s SO dependable on team mates to set him up. (Jordin Tootoo, anyone?!)

 

Arizona isn't viewing Eriksson as an asset; they don't want him.  His inclusion was strictly for financial reasons.  They'd give him away for free if they could.  Ekman-Larsson was quite good a couple of years ago but has struggled lately.  He's now 30 with a lot of heavy minutes under his belt.  It's hard to see him turning back into a number one defenceman.  I'm also looking ahead to next summer when Boeser needs a new contract and the year after that when Horvat is up.  They had cap space to afford those raises before this trade.  They don't really have it now.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, hab29RETIRED said:

How much salary did they actually dump?? They still have to resign Paterson, Hughes, Boeser.  I would have thought that they needed to move Schmidt as well.

 

I suspect Schmidt will be on the move as well as they'll need that to offset the rest of the money.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, ch_nl said:

Ristolainen is another player that has far more potential than what he’s lived up to.

 

Good move by the Sabres, assuming they will pick Powers.

 

As I see it, this might be a trade that benefits all involved.

I’m shocked at the return- that’s probably the best trade the Sabres have made in a LONG time.
is this just a really bad draft for players in philly’s spot, or GM’s unsure of who to pick with the Covid shutdowns during the past year???

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Sounds like Vancouver is close to acquiring Oliver Ekman-Larson according to Pierre Lebrun.  
 

Vancouver’s 9th overall pick is close to being dealt, not clear if it’s the same deal.

 

Edit:  nevermind, it’s all the same deal and it’s done.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Chicago gets Seth Jones.. another name that would have been a nice addition.

 

Guess we will see what the price was..

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, dlbalr said:

 

I have no idea what Vancouver's thinking here.  Ekman-Larsson is already declining quickly and is signed through 2026-27.  Sure, they dumped their deadweight contracts in this trade which helps them for this season but they just added a brutal contract to their books for the sake of trying to make the playoffs next year.  That's going to cost them down the road.

 

I agree, they dumped some bad contracts but those contracts only had 1 year left anyway and he still has to replace some of those 3rd/4th line guys.  Giving up the #9 pick for a rebuilding team does not seem wise.  Looks like an impatient move for Benning. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

I agree, they dumped some bad contracts but those contracts only had 1 year left anyway and he still has to replace some of those 3rd/4th line guys.  Giving up the #9 pick for a rebuilding team does not seem wise.  Looks like an impatient move for Benning. 

 

Knowing how much ownership meddles in Vancouver by refusing to allow any sort of rebuild/retool, I suspect this is more ownership-driven than Benning going out and wanting this.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • tomh009 unpinned this topic

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...