Montreal Canadiens Select Juraj Slafkovsky

Commandant

2 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

A team like Edmonton would be a perfect fit for Anderson if they can’t sign Kane ...

As always comes up when Edmonton is mentioned ... even with the Keith and Kassian moves, Anderson eats up a third of their available cap space ... with (presumably) a starting goalie and at least 5 forward & 2 defence spots to fill.

4 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

A team like Edmonton would be a perfect fit for Anderson if they can’t sign Kane. 

Any team in their cup window would love Anderson. Speed, size, grit, scores. 

I expect a 2023 first and your top prospect and I think we get it. 

I agree that Edmonton would be a good fit if they can't sign Kane plus they have more cap room now plus they are definitely in that window of opportunity while McDavid/Draisaitl are still at their peak.  The Oilers want to win NOW. 

1 minute ago, GHT120 said:

As always comes up when Edmonton is mentioned ... even with the Keith and Kassian moves, Anderson eats up a third of their available cap space ... with (presumably) a starting goalie and at least 5 forward & 2 defence spots to fill.

The Habs could take some salary back for the right trade. 

Just now, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

The Habs could take some salary back for the right trade. 

True ... but I firmly believe that HuGo want to ensure they are not in LTIR even it Price cannot/does not play ... and would ideally like to be able to exploit being the "third-team" in a deadline deal or two to add assets ... so they are not likely to take back much unless they feel that it is someone they can move out.

And he didn't fall down!

5 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I thought the comparisons were between Dach and KK. Those do seem to be highly pertinent.

I don't know why you'd draw any analogy between Slaf the Giraffe and KK, though

i thought the same thing @The Chicoutimi Cucumber

1 hour ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

227lbs at 18 means about 240lbs in his prime. That’s a big boy 

And there isn't much fat on that big frame. He should easily be 235-240 when he is done filling out. He won't be easy for defensemen to handle. 

9 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

And there isn't much fat on that big frame. He should easily be 235-240 when he is done filling out. He won't be easy for defensemen to handle. 

So long as he doesn’t lose any speed or agility with the added bulk. 

1 hour ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

Not necessarily, e.g. McCarron/Tiinordi didnt put on much weight at all, did they?

But, your right, no matter the #, he is an X-large kid and should get stronger and more important than any scale reading, is skating improvement (which is OK now they say, or good "for his size"). 

48 minutes ago, Neech said:

What are the chances we give the kid another season to marinate in the minors?

Another full year would be doubtful.  Some games in Laval could be a possibility.

I see the Habs are continuing the annoying tradition of announcing the first-round signing on the first day possible in between a bunch of other moves.  http://www.habsworld.net/2022/07/habs-sign-juraj-slafkovsky/

2 hours ago, dlbalr said:

Another full year would be doubtful.  Some games in Laval could be a possibility ...

Does anyone have his CHL rights or contractually does he have to go back to the Liiga unless he is a pro?

I agree that CHL and Liiga are unlikely ... but personally I would have no issue with a year of CHL to adapt to the smaller ice-surface and style of play ... I care more about the years after this coming season than this coming season.

2 hours ago, dlbalr said:

... I see the Habs are continuing the annoying tradition of announcing the first-round signing on the first day possible in between a bunch of other moves.  http://www.habsworld.net/2022/07/habs-sign-juraj-slafkovsky/

Kraken also signed Wright today.

39 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

Does anyone have his CHL rights or contractually does he have to go back to the Liiga unless he is a pro?

I agree that CHL and Liiga are unlikely ... but personally I would have no issue with a year of CHL to adapt to the smaller ice-surface and style of play ... I care more about the years after this coming season than this coming season.

No CHL option for him.  Montreal's contract supersedes the one in Finland though as a first-rounder and as he isn't a CHL draftee, he can go to Laval.  Going back to Finland would be by far the least desirable of the options.

3 hours ago, GHT120 said:

As a first round pick out of Europe, he can be sent to the AHL.  It doesn't matter if he was taken in the CHL import draft, the transfer agreement only applies to players drafted out of the CHL. 

Second round and later have to stick to their European contracts though.  But as a first rounder the Habs can pay a relatively small fee to break his Finnish contract. 

On 7/11/2022 at 4:47 PM, Prime Minister Koivu said:

Hmm, I thought he was 6'4"?  Thats too bad.  

I highly doubt that he'll be 240 lbs.  He is only 18 but like others pros have stated he has a mans body so he doesnt need to gain 10+ lbs.  Also, he's clearly worked out quite a bit and is not a hard gainer so he's likely already gained close to as much as he can.   Plus, he is a hockey player and not a body builder.  At his current size gaining 10 lbs more of muscle wont help him play hockey better.     

On 7/13/2022 at 11:03 PM, Sir_Boagalott said:

Hmm, I thought he was 6'4"?  Thats too bad.  

I highly doubt that he'll be 240 lbs.  He is only 18 but like others pros have stated he has a mans body so he doesnt need to gain 10+ lbs.  Also, he's clearly worked out quite a bit and is not a hard gainer so he's likely already gained close to as much as he can.   Plus, he is a hockey player and not a body builder.  At his current size gaining 10 lbs more of muscle wont help him play hockey better.     

My bet is he’s close to 6’4, and so likely will be listed as 6’4 in a few years time with a tiny bit more growth.

also, wouldn’t surprise me to see 240 if he’s already 227. Ovechkin has always played at 240 and he was pretty good 

He just loves posting for clicks.