Habs acquire Kirby Dach

dlbalr

9 hours ago, Commandant said:

Both teams have different GMs.  The previous trade, while a big win for montreal, is completely irrelevant to analyzing this trade.

If it was Marc Bergevin and Stan Bowman making another trade, then yes, let's talk about that.  But HuGo and Davidson is a totally new scenario.

It means as much as predicting a 2021 playoff series between the Leafs and Habs based on the last time they played each other in the playoffs (1979).  None of the players are the same so it has no impact.

Do you like this trade Commandant?  It definitely has risk as you are giving up a known in a  top 4 defenseman but you could argue that Montreal has plenty of good young prospects on the left side. 

It is a gamble by Hughes but has huge upside if Dach can turn it around.  Not every move by Hughes will work out but I like this one.  I just think that St. Louis is the perfect coach for a young talented guy who has been struggling. 

9 hours ago, Commandant said:

Both teams have different GMs.  The previous trade, while a big win for montreal, is completely irrelevant to analyzing this trade.

If it was Marc Bergevin and Stan Bowman making another trade, then yes, let's talk about that.  But HuGo and Davidson is a totally new scenario.

It means as much as predicting a 2021 playoff series between the Leafs and Habs based on the last time they played each other in the playoffs (1979).  None of the players are the same so it has no impact.

I saw in one of the posts here that Dach has played RW and seems to have done well there

Would Dach at RW provide a better projection for him? Make it more palatable ?

Found the post:

14 hours ago, DON said:

Comments just after 2019 draft.

3. Chicago Blackhawks - Kirby Dach, C, Saskatoon (WHL)

NHL Central Scouting: No. 3 (North American skaters)

[...] Dach (6-4, 198) played center in Saskatoon but won a Hlinka Gretzky Cup championship with Canada in August playing right wing and had seven points (two goals, five assists) in five games.

[...]

Edited by alfredoh2009
Adding Don's post

Well, if I’m working with Dach, I want him as a C. That’s why we acquired him, surely. Otherwise we’re looking at another decade of playing “Find the Centreman.” He’s supposed to fill the gap that could have been filled by Cooley or Wright.

But that said, if he continues to flounder, then yes, at some point you try to salvage the situation at turn him into a W.

1 hour ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

Do you like this trade Commandant?  It definitely has risk as you are giving up a known in a  top 4 defenseman but you could argue that Montreal has plenty of good young prospects on the left side. 

It is a gamble by Hughes but has huge upside if Dach can turn it around.  Not every move by Hughes will work out but I like this one.  I just think that St. Louis is the perfect coach for a young talented guy who has been struggling. 

I like the romanov trade.  I probably would have drafted at 13 and 66 instead of trading for Dach but we shall see on him.

2 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Well, if I’m working with Dach, I want him as a C. That’s why we acquired him, surely. Otherwise we’re looking at another decade of playing “Find the Centreman.” He’s supposed to fill the gap that could have been filled by Cooley or Wright.

But that said, if he continues to flounder, then yes, at some point you try to salvage the situation at turn him into a W.

Agreed. No point in messing with him again while he is likely struggling to find his confidence. Leave him at C. 

Also the Hlinka tournament was 5 games, a full season before he was drafted.  So he played RW four years ago, for a grand total of 5 games plus maybe some scrimmages in camp.  A conversion would take time.  I think you put him at centre and leave him there.  Get yanick perreault or someone to work on improving his faceoffs. 

I know i always say faceoffs are overrated, but when you are the worst centre in the league at faceoffs it actually is a problem.  I dont even need him to get to 50%, just move that 38 to like 46 or 47.

2 hours ago, Commandant said:

Also the Hlinka tournament was 5 games, a full season before he was drafted.  So he played RW four years ago, for a grand total of 5 games plus maybe some scrimmages in camp.  A conversion would take time.  I think you put him at centre and leave him there.  Get yanick perreault or someone to work on improving his faceoffs. 

I know i always say faceoffs are overrated, but when you are the worst centre in the league at faceoffs it actually is a problem.  I dont even need him to get to 50%, just move that 38 to like 46 or 47.

I would put him in RW with Poehling, and let him take some faceoffs. Use the 2022-2023 tank season to develop him at RW. He could be eased back to center later, but could take one season to give him an honest try at RW. Either Poehling or Dach could be moved to wing depending of who plays better at center.

Its a win-win

Two more gone ... It appears to be a TOTAL tear down ... DeBrincat, Dach, Strome and Kubalik ... 4 of top 9 TOI forwards ... 2 of top 3

27 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

I would put him in RW with Poehling, and let him take some faceoffs. Use the 2022-2023 tank season to develop him at RW. He could be eased back to center later, but could take one season to give him an honest try at RW. Either Poehling or Dach could be moved to wing depending of who plays better at center.

Its a win-win

Playing 4th line wing with Poehling is not win-win for Dach. That's about worst possible scenario. Also goes against what Hughes said:

"We believe Kirby has significant potential and we think with the Montreal Canadiens, in this environment, we can bring him along and get him to a point where he can be a pretty special centreman.”

21 minutes ago, huzer said:

Playing 4th line wing with Poehling is not win-win for Dach. That's about worst possible scenario. Also goes against what Hughes said:

"We believe Kirby has significant potential and we think with the Montreal Canadiens, in this environment, we can bring him along and get him to a point where he can be a pretty special centreman.”

Don't you realize Poehling is a lock for the 3C position?
:sarcasm_on:     :devil:

1 hour ago, alfredoh2009 said:

Its a win-win

Id stick him at centre to.start and see if he can sink or swim in a new environment.  And id give him decent wingers.

Im not even sure poehling is in the starting lineup if everyone is healthy and this is a tram that finished dead last so what does that say about him?

With no changes as it currently stands.... something like this.

Drouin - suzuki - caufield

Pitlick - Dvorak - anderson

Hoffman - Dach - Gallagher

Byron - Evans - armia

Doesnt have to be those lines but thats 12 forwards ahead of Poehling and doesnt include Slafkovsky.

Of course some changes will still happen via trades and we will see if pitlick is qualified.

You also have pezzetta but i put poehling ahead of him.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

Its a win-win

It's a win-win for Poehling...less so for the Habs.  You need to realize that Poehling is not viewed as a core piece of the team moving forward.  He's on the fringes of the roster, not a guy that's going to play on the second or third line.

1 minute ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

I bet Dach gets second line minutes right away. 

I think they are going to give him rope to learn and teach him as he goes. 

This is the vibe I get out of HuGo

I have little doubt that Dach will get every opportunity to show what he can do. 

One concern I have and I have seen it expressed on other boards.  Has Dach's wrist healed fully?  It was a really bad injury and there was some concern about it. You would think Hughes would have fully checked that out before making the trade. 

33 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

I have little doubt that Dach will get every opportunity to show what he can do. 

One concern I have and I have seen it expressed on other boards.  Has Dach's wrist healed fully?  It was a really bad injury and there was some concern about it. You would think Hughes would have fully checked that out before making the trade. 

Its been 18 months.

50 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

I was wondering that too.  Some sources I have read seemed to suggest that the Hawks have raced him back into their lineup too quickly.

That might be something that is hard to determine because the Hawks want to move him and Dach himself probably wanted out too.  In that situation neither would be completely honest and upfront about it.

Dr reports would say if the bone has healed, which it would have by now.  However, that wouldn't necessarily mean that he has regular mobility and full range of motion.  Plus, with some bone breaks it can cause pain for years.  

17 hours ago, Commandant said:

Good points.  I know you liked Danault a lot and that trade certainly worked out well.  Plus, there is a level of superstition in hockey.

Some teams seem to have regular trading partners, especially when trades work out well.  ex:  Vegas. Hughes should have their GM on his speed-dial.  

1 hour ago, Commandant said:

With no changes as it currently stands.... something like this.

Drouin - suzuki - caufield

Pitlick - Dvorak - anderson

Hoffman - Dach - Gallagher

Byron - Evans - armia

Doesnt have to be those lines but thats 12 forwards ahead of Poehling and doesnt include Slafkovsky.

It's missing Dadonov too, and I'm not sure what will happen with him.  Hughes did say that they got him to play him.  Seeing how well the Suzuki trade worked out I'm definitely interested to see Dadonov play.  It would be crazy trade if he could return to his old Florida #'s.  

1 hour ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

I bet Dach gets second line minutes right away. 

I think they are going to give him rope to learn and teach him as he goes. 

This is the vibe I get out of HuGo

Again, it wasn't really to do lines with the team, just to show 12 forwards are ahead of Poehling. 

18 minutes ago, Sir_Boagalott said:

It's missing Dadonov too, and I'm not sure what will happen with him.  Hughes did say that they got him to play him.  Seeing how well the Suzuki trade worked out I'm definitely interested to see Dadonov play.  It would be crazy trade if he could return to his old Florida #'s.  

Yeah, it sounds like Pitlick might be gone, but Dadonov goes in to that, so its still 12 forwards. 

I think Dadonov plays in the Habs top six and then is traded at the deadline, given his age and that he will be a UFA next summer.

6 hours ago, Commandant said:

Yeah, it sounds like Pitlick might be gone, but Dadonov goes in to that, so its still 12 forwards. 

I think Dadonov plays in the Habs top six and then is traded at the deadline, given his age and that he will be a UFA next summer.

I am as confused as you are, with so many forwards signed and the extra RFAs

You wanted to show 12 forwards ahead of Poehling and got into what seems like a problem, since we don't know what Hugh-Gort is planning come the begining of the season.

Dadonov-Suzuki-Caufield

Drouin-Dvorak-Anderson

Hoffman-Dach-Gallagher

Poehling-Evans-Armia ?

Byron/Ylonen ?

Pezzetta? R.Pitlick?

One of Drouin or Hoffman has to go. Gallagher is untradeable, and Armia has low trade value.

Ylonne will need ice time

I want elite talent on the Habs lineup, and I can wait one more year for that... which means trading for picks and prospect

6 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

Poehling-Evans-Armia ?

Byron/Ylonen ?

Pezzetta? R.Pitlick?

While I disagree with it, I respect your commitment to getting Poehling in the lineup ... I have no issue with him being there if they can clear out some contracts ... and, IMO, the higher in the lineup the better our chances for a shot at Bedard. 

Dadonov-Suzuki-Caufield

Drouin-Dvorak-Anderson

Hoffman-Dach-Gallagher

Byron-Evans-Armia 

Pezzetta

There you go, all set, rest in Laval as injury depth or sent packing.

I want elite talent on the Habs lineup, and I can wait one more year for that... which means trading for picks and prospect

You want...? Not sure that matters much and elite aint cheap.