2022-23 NHL Discussion Thread

tomh009

https://twitter.com/habsfantv_/status/1665131830440259590?s=46&t=C6D_OzldSuuSefel4GDZoQ

@dlbalrtweets are not embedding and haven’t been for a while or is it a Twitter issue?

Anyway, Mailloux meeting with Bettman to determine if he is eligible to play NHL next season. 

Possible that he plays in Montreal next season? Nobody thought Xhekaj would make the team. 

18 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

https://twitter.com/habsfantv_/status/1665131830440259590?s=46&t=C6D_OzldSuuSefel4GDZoQ

@dlbalrtweets are not embedding and haven’t been for a while or is it a Twitter issue?

Anyway, Mailloux meeting with Bettman to determine if he is eligible to play NHL next season. 

Possible that he plays in Montreal next season? Nobody thought Xhekaj would make the team. 

From all accounts, Mailloux needs BIG minutes in Laval next season to work on his defence to make up for the 20/21 OHL season being cancelled and then only getting to play 12 games in 21/22. 

10 hours ago, GHT120 said:

From all accounts, Mailloux needs BIG minutes in Laval next season to work on his defence to make up for the 20/21 OHL season being cancelled and then only getting to play 12 games in 21/22. 

The same things were said about Xhekaj last off season. Nobody thought that Xhekaj was even being considered for the NHL. Some posters even called such a suggestion as, “irresponsible”.

I bet Mailloux starts in Montreal for development under the new regime. 

I don’t agree or support this direction but it’s what HuGo seems to be doing with our youth. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

I don't think this is on our end as we haven't done anything with the forum software in months so if it worked a few weeks ago, it should now.  Plus, Twitter has had all sorts of bugs lately.

10 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

I don't think this is on our end as we haven't done anything with the forum software in months so if it worked a few weeks ago, it should now.  Plus, Twitter has had all sorts of bugs lately.

Shocking 😛

2 hours ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

The same things were said about Xhekaj last off season. Nobody thought that Xhekaj was even being considered for the NHL. Some posters even called such a suggestion as, “irresponsible”.

I bet Mailloux starts in Montreal for development under the new regime. 

I don’t agree or support this direction but it’s what HuGo seems to be doing with our youth. 

While HuGo do seem pretty freewheeling in their approach to development - far too much for my taste - it’s worth noting that Barron spent a lot of last season in the A. So there is precedent for them keeping a big, defensively-challenged, high-ceiling D-man in the minors to marinade.

On 6/4/2023 at 10:32 AM, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

While HuGo do seem pretty freewheeling in their approach to development - far too much for my taste - it’s worth noting that Barron spent a lot of last season in the A. So there is precedent for them keeping a big, defensively-challenged, high-ceiling D-man in the minors to marinade.

And while Guhle, Harris and Xhekaj played for the Habs, there was, uhh, a shortage of experienced NHL-level D-men that could play. They won't need Mailloux in Montreal, so I, too, expect him to start the season in Laval.

I think the meeting with Bettman is to make sure there is no roadblock to playing for the Habs, whenever that may be, not that his NHL debut is imminent.

33 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

And while Guhle, Harris and Xhekaj played for the Habs, there was, uhh, a shortage of experienced NHL-level D-men that could play. They won't need Mailloux in Montreal, so I, too, expect him to start the season in Laval.

I think the meeting with Bettman is to make sure there is no roadblock to playing for the Habs, whenever that may be, not that his NHL debut is imminent.

You are likely right. 

This meeting is to clear him in case of call up too I would think. 

Cant wait to find out

On 6/4/2023 at 9:56 AM, dlbalr said:

Although, the reason cited for not embedding is that The link could not be embedded because there is no tweet at that URL ... but when the link is clicked on it opens a Tweet, so there is something there ... which isn't to say that Twitter hasn't changed something that Habsworld now doesn't recognize.

2 hours ago, GHT120 said:

Although, the reason cited for not embedding is that The link could not be embedded because there is no tweet at that URL ... but when the link is clicked on it opens a Tweet, so there is something there ... which isn't to say that Twitter hasn't changed something that Habsworld now doesn't recognize.

works for me:

3 hours ago, GHT120 said:

47 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

works for me:

Yeah, it's inconsistent.  I haven't figured out what makes it work or not work just yet (I've tried URL manipulation as one of the workarounds but it's hit or miss).

49 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

Yeah, it's inconsistent.  I haven't figured out what makes it work or not work just yet (I've tried URL manipulation as one of the workarounds but it's hit or miss).

Many thanks for the efforts ... and of course to Elon Musk for whatever it is they've done.

13 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

The Senators are going to be sold to Michael Andlauer who is a minority owner in the Habs.  He'll need to sell his stake in the team but I believe that's more or less agreed on in principle.

:ph34r: I guess he wanted to own a team that has a reasonable chance to win a Stanley cup :ph34r:

… in the bot so distant future

Edited by alfredoh2009
Added to clarify though : future

1 hour ago, dlbalr said:

The Senators are going to be sold to Michael Andlauer who is a minority owner in the Habs.  He'll need to sell his stake in the team but I believe that's more or less agreed on in principle.

Perhaps a forum members consortium should create an initiative to acquire said stake…? I’d invest. 
is there 2000 members willing to invest $10K each?

20 mil for day 2-3% of team but not the bell center…? (Apparently Andlauer owns 10%~ of team and building…?)

the consortium elects one person to represent their interests, dividends galore, AGM on Super Bowl wknd, we get block of seats both games that weekend as perk haha, this is my daydream today. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, hockeyrealist said:

Perhaps a forum members consortium should create an initiative to acquire said stake…? I’d invest. 

20 mil for day 2-3% of team but not the bell center…? (Apparently Andlauer owns 10%~ of team and building…?)

the consortium elects one person to represent their interests, dividends galore, AGM on Super Bowl wknd, we get block of seats both games that weekend as perk haha, this is my daydream today. 

That'd be neat in theory but it's going to a single investor.  A while back, I had heard that Andre Desmarais was the likely purchaser if Andlauer had to sell but at the time, an agreement in principle hadn't been finalized.

1 hour ago, dlbalr said:

Stutzle for Gallagher?

The man is a lifelong Habs fan from NDG. Now's the chance to make it count.

1 hour ago, hockeyrealist said:

Last December, Forbes valued the Habs at $1.85B ... so Andlauer's share worth at least $185 million.

RDS reporting that the Habs have fired Graham Rynbend (head athletic therapist) and Donald Balmforth (Head Physiotherapist) ... not unexpected.

2 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

RDS reporting that the Habs have fired Graham Rynbend (head athletic therapist) and Donald Balmforth (Head Physiotherapist) ... not unexpected.

Yup, wonder if they have folks in mind already to replace them, or simply dissatisfied in their sickbay and YOU gotta go.

40 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

Two years in a row in leading the league in man games lost to injury is gonna do that. 

11 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Two years in a row in leading the league in man games lost to injury is gonna do that. 

Yeah, in a way I feel badly for them, since it might not be their fault - who knows? But it’s a ‘results’ business. I like the accountability.

6 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

Like with children ... you can't give them everything just because they ask ... you have to do what is right for them.

55 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Yes.

But almost certainly some part was because of players NOT playing through injuries, since they were not going to make the playoffs anyway. But how much that contributed, we’ll never know.

• tomh009 unpinned this topic