2022-23 NHL Discussion Thread

tomh009

1 hour ago, Sir_Boagalott said:

Umm, but I said *each* player though, so double that and it does equal 12-20 points:

There are not many guys in the league that will add five wins to a team total when they replace the predecessor player. 30 goals a year is not going to add five wins.

1 minute ago, Neech said:

Lots of buyouts this year, including some big names like Wheeler and Duchene. I assume this is good news for contenders who can sign them on the cheap.

Or sign with us, then traded at deadline for picks/young prospects?

8 minutes ago, Dalhabs said:

Or sign with us, then traded at deadline for picks/young prospects?

Could be a good strategy, Habs would have to make room on the 23/24 roster, but I expect Wheeler and Duchene will attract interest from contending teams id they are willing to sign a modest contract.

17 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

Could be a good strategy, Habs would have to make room on the 23/24 roster, but I expect Wheeler and Duchene will attract interest from contending teams id they are willing to sign a modest contract.

I would think that Wheeler and Duchesne will end up with contending teams as their window for winning a cup is closing although Duchesne likely has a few more years left.  Attractive pick ups depending on the price paid. 

• 4 weeks later...
9 hours ago, Habsfan89 said:

Going to be fun watching the leaf's trying to get 12.5mil under the salary cap.  Man are they in trouble. 

Muzzin's $5.625M takes care of a chunk going on LTIR ... since being traded to TO he has missed 17 games, 35 and all 78 after the first 3.5 games of last season ... so $9.25645 left of the (per CapFriendly) overage of $12,381,450.

Matt Murray could be bought out if he is healthy, but only saves the Laffs $3.125M as Ottawa retained some salary in that trade ... with a $666,667 hit in 24/25

Brodie is another rumoured buyout ($5M contract) ... because of the salary structure in his deal, it would save the full $5M this season but cost $2.5M in 24/25.

Buying out Brodie and trading Murray would clear $9.6875M ... but trading Murray will cost some prime picks/prospects.

It will be fun to watch.

10 hours ago, Habsfan89 said:

Going to be fun watching the leaf's trying to get 12.5mil under the salary cap.  Man are they in trouble. 

I doubt it will be very interesting.  The leafs knew their situation when the acquired Domi, Bertuzzi, etc.  I am certain they have a plan to get under the cap and it won't be too painful for them.

2 hours ago, Dalhabs said:

Bergeron retires. Bruins going downhill fast?

Every time I watched him play, I wondered what might have been if the Habs had drafted him instead of Cory Urquhart

Congrats to Patrice on a great career.

54 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

Every time I watched him play, I wondered what might have been if the Habs had drafted him instead of Cory Urquhart

Congrats to Patrice on a great career.

Absolutely. One of the classiest players in the NHL.  A credit to the game on and off the ice. 

1 hour ago, tomh009 said:

Next ... Krejci?

Hope so!  But the Bruins always seem to have an easy time signing UFA’s, so I don’t know if it will take years to fill those holes. Hell, we still haven’t recovered from the holes at centre that the unholy trinity of Corey/Houle/Tremblay created in the 90’s (but are at least finally on track)!

On 7/25/2023 at 10:30 AM, Dalhabs said:

Bergeron retires. Bruins going downhill fast?

All this love being shown to Bergeron 🤮

I hope they implode 

23 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

All this love being shown to Bergeron 🤮

I hope they implode 

Ha ha, he's an all-time great two-way player. But I hear ya. I would absolutely love to see the Bruins careen down the standings for years to come. They have had WAY too long a run of excellence. Even when they "bottomed out" it was only for two years (2014-16) and then they came roaring back. F**k them.

The Bergeron era was, basically, what the Gainey era was *supposed* to be like for the Habs. Instead we went in the wrong direction while the Bruins took off into the stratosphere.

• 1 month later...
On 7/24/2023 at 10:51 PM, Habsfan89 said:

Murray, Muzzin and picking a back-up goalie gets them to within a little over $2M ... but what will be fun to watch is that of the 15 players on their roster making $2M or more (counting the two LTCs), 14 have some form of NTC ... 5 of those have NMCs ... the only one of them that does not have any trade protection is their latest saviour in goal, Samsonov.

56 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

Murray, Muzzin and picking a back-up goalie gets them to within a little over $2M ... but what will be fun to watch is that of the 15 players on their roster making $2M or more (counting the two LTCs), 14 have some form of NTC ... 5 of those have NMCs ... the only one of them that does not have any trade protection is their latest saviour in goal, Samsonov.

How to build a team guaranteed of failing. Look to TO. Always TO. 

• tomh009 unpinned this topic