2023 NHL Entry Draft

Habs Fan in Edmonton

Read an article today that said Matvey Michkov could fall out of the top-10 due to him being contracted with the KHL until 2024.  He's regarded as the best Russian player since Ovechkin, was debated at the top prospect in this draft until this season. 

14 minutes ago, TurdBurglar said:

Read an article today that said Matvey Michkov could fall out of the top-10 due to him being contracted with the KHL until 2024.  He's regarded as the best Russian player since Ovechkin, was debated at the top prospect in this draft until this season. 

I don't see him falling past 4 to be honest.  I think he goes 3rd. 

3 minutes ago, Habsfan89 said:

How good would a line of 

Slaf  - Bedard - Anderson 

Look for the habs, to go along with 

Cole  - Suzuki  -Dach 

Could be the best top 6 the habs have ever had. 

I don’t think Anderson adds anything to the success of his line mates. He speeds like hell, cuts to the net and tries to score. He does so independently of his line mates. 

Anderson isn’t a playmaker/passer, Anderson doesn’t look for open ice like Caufield does or any sniper does. 

Anderson is a one trick pony IMO that may as well be played on the 4th line. I would trade him

I think Slafkovsky - Dubois - Bedard would be savage (if Slafkovsky turns out).

Just now, Prime Minister Koivu said:

I don’t think Anderson adds anything to the success of his line mates. He speeds like hell, cuts to the net and tries to score. He does so independently of his line mates. 

Anderson isn’t a playmaker/passer, Anderson doesn’t look for open ice like Caufield does or any sniper does. 

Anderson is a one trick pony IMO that may as well be played on the 4th line. I would trade him

Slaf will turn out, he just needs to take notes from Cole and shot the puck more.  Plus with his big body needs to drive the net more looking for those rebounds. He will be fine.

1 hour ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

In Anderson’s defence, while Monahan is out he hasn’t had the best line mates.  He likes to make things happen in the offensive zone, and the only time he’s had decent line mates were with Suzuki and Caufield.  On the line you want to get the puck on Suzuki’s stick unless Caufield is in a shooting position.  

As for Dubois, if Montreal drafts Bedard there is no point is wasting $7m+ on Dubois for long term, which is what he will want.  Bedard and Suzuki are going to be 1&2 centers.  I would rather kick tires on Lafreniere for that Bedard line with Slaf than Dubois.  Realistically, with what’s in the system, Richard, Mesar or Beck may make a better option depending on development.  There’s also free agency, which the attitude towards signing in Montreal will shift if they do get Bedard.

2 hours ago, TurdBurglar said:

In Anderson’s defence, while Monahan is out he hasn’t had the best line mates.  He likes to make things happen in the offensive zone, and the only time he’s had decent line mates were with Suzuki and Caufield.  On the line you want to get the puck on Suzuki’s stick unless Caufield is in a shooting position.  

As for Dubois, if Montreal drafts Bedard there is no point is wasting $7m+ on Dubois for long term, which is what he will want.  Bedard and Suzuki are going to be 1&2 centers.  I would rather kick tires on Lafreniere for that Bedard line with Slaf than Dubois.  Realistically, with what’s in the system, Richard, Mesar or Beck may make a better option depending on development.  There’s also free agency, which the attitude towards signing in Montreal will shift if they do get Bedard.

I always enjoy your contributions 👍

There is truth to the terrible line mates comment but I’m saying that Anderson doesn’t use line mates or very rarely. 

Anderson gets that puck and he hauls ass to the net and fires off a really great shot. Quality of line mates makes a difference insofar as they get him the puck better. 

Anderson with the puck will only pass if he is about to get checked/lose the puck or if a teammate is in a breakaway position. 

The guy wants to carry that puck and go score - which is awesome but why waste quality line mates on that type of player? 

Anderson does not make his line mates better because he is a self sufficient, one man army type of person. Dach absolutely makes his line mates better. 

This is all opinion of course and I have no idea if analytics agree with my eye test or not. 

EDIT

Wanted to add that Anderson is good to great without the puck. He is savage on the boards, hits like a savage and sticks up for everyone. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

I think Anderson should be traded if we can get a good return. He’s a guy he is another guy who doesn’t produce enough relative to his contract and his style also makes him injury prone.

6 minutes ago, TurdBurglar said:

How does the draft lottery work now?

Is it one team can climb a maximum of 10 spots or is it 3 draws for picks 1, 2, and 3 from the bottom 15 teams, weighted accordingly?

Two teams. Maximum 10 spots improvement.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

Huge long shot, but I guess one can still dream of the #1 and #2 picks with our and the Florida pick.

42 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

And while only the teams finishing 32nd-22nd have a shot at #1, 21st-17th can still move up 10 spots (so into the Top 10).

9 hours ago, Habsfan89 said:

How good would a line of 

Slaf  - Bedard - Anderson 

Look for the habs, to go along with 

Cole  - Suzuki  -Dach 

Could be the best top 6 the habs have ever had. 

I'll counter with

Slafkovsky - Bedard - Roy

Caufield - Suzuki - Dach

Here is a question for those who know the juniors better than I do. Let's say that after the ping pong balls have been selected the Habs draft 6 & 10.  Would you package those picks together to move into the top 4 so you can draft Fantilli or Carlsson? That could solve the Habs center ice issues for at least the next decade. 

1 hour ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

Here is a question for those who know the juniors better than I do. Let's say that after the ping pong balls have been selected the Habs draft 6 & 10.  Would you package those picks together to move into the top 4 so you can draft Fantilli or Carlsson? That could solve the Habs center ice issues for at least the next decade. 

I say heck no, 2 shots at superstars is better than one, and there's a decent chance whoever we snag at 6 is better than a couple of the guys picked before. Studs like Guhle and Caufield are available at 10.

That said we're a long way from the final rankings and it could coalesce into a clear top 3-5.

The Russian factor is at a longterm high in terms of toxicity - I could see Michkov falling past 3.

11 hours ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

The draft, no matter what, is always a crapshoot.  Picking twice in the top-10 is better than picking higher once.  There no guarantee that any of the top-5 players will be superstars.  The closest to a sure fire superstar is Bedard.

Hypothetical...

Montreal wins the draft lottery, Florida's pick falls somewhere around 8. 

Montreal sends #8 to NYR for Lafreniere. (Who says no?)

Laf - Bedard - Caufield

Dach - Suzuki - Slaf

I mean, a guy can dream. 

19 minutes ago, TheDriveFor25 said:

Hypothetical...

Laf - Bedard - Caufield

Dach - Suzuki - Slaf

I mean, a guy can dream. 

In that scenario I would use the pick for a RHD or goalie via trade as I don’t believe are many projected in the first round.  

As for your lineups, I’m not sure splitting up Suzuki and Caufield is the best idea.  They seem to have chemistry, and that is sometimes more important than raw skill.  Also, if you can make it work, having 2 dangerous shooters on different lines makes it harder to defend.

34 minutes ago, TheDriveFor25 said:

Is Lafreniere still worth a #8 pick (and in a strong draft year yet)? Maybe no ...