2023 NHL Entry Draft

Habs Fan in Edmonton

Kevin paints a nice picture of Leonard.

And i guess if he was bit better skater or bit bigger, he would be ranked in top 5 by someone; but he aint.

https://www.habsworld.net/2023/06/2023-draft-profile-ryan-leonard/

Rankings

Elite Prospects: 9
Future Considerations: 25
Daily Faceoff: 6
The Hockey News: 7
TSN (Bob McKenzie): 10
TSN (Craig Button): 12
NHL Central Scouting (North America): 4
Sportsnet: 7
Recruit Scouting: 14
Dobber Prospects: 10
McKeen: 8
Smaht Scouting: 12 

1 hour ago, JoeLassister said:

@dlbalr  is there a HabsWorld mock draft this year ?  Or did I miss it ?

Not yet Joe, thats all i know.

Just 8 more days to go.

59 minutes ago, TurdBurglar said:

Sounds like Montreal is aggressively trying to trade up to #4, and has even called Anaheim about the #2 pick.

Sounds like they are interested in Will Smith at #4.

I also heard Shane Wright was a lock at #1 last year.:P

So grain of salt on what Hughes has leaked/mentioned to the press... could 100% be misdirection and playing the game.

4 minutes ago, DON said:

I also heard Shane Wright was a lock at #1 last year.:P

So grain of salt on what Hughes has leaked/mentioned to the press... could 100% be misdirection and playing the game.

It was reported by Gascon of radio Canada and confirmed by Basu of the Athletic.  

17 minutes ago, TurdBurglar said:

It was reported by Gascon of radio Canada and confirmed by Basu of the Athletic.  

Correct, the press and biased local press at that, so like i said take with grain of salt. Could be 100% meaningless and if Hughes didnt discuss this type of stuff with other GMs and tell the press what he wants to tell them, he wouldnt be doing his job.

22 minutes ago, TurdBurglar said:

Sure, and who leaked it to them, and what was the purpose of the leak?

This is pick 5, not pick 1.  Its a poker game.

12 hours ago, dlbalr said:

There will be.  We only post it a day or two before the draft.

We're holding that mock draft Thursday night.

Who has the "honour" of picking #5?

9 hours ago, DON said:

There is no doubt a lot of smoke and mirrors going on. There is no way that any GM with half of brain is going to give clues about who they are taking as it would really hurt their leverage in any trade talks with other GM's. The press can speculate all they want about who Hughes wants to take, they are just guessing/speculating like we are.

1 hour ago, dlbalr said:

We haven't set the full order of who picks where yet but we often try to find a consensus pick for Montreal's selections.

OK, thanks just curious.

CBJ must be taking a centre at 3, after adding d-men recently.

So what would new GM Mike Grier likely demand to swap picks with Habs, if a centre is on Habs wishlist?

31st pick?

37th pick?

37th pick & prospect?

Prospect?

3 hours ago, DON said:

OK, thanks just curious.

So what would new GM Mike Grier likely demand to swap picks with Habs, if a centre is on Habs wishlist?

31st pick?

37th pick?

37th pick & prospect?

Prospect?

i wonder what it would take for Grier to trade the 4th OA pick out right??

4 hours ago, DON said:

OK, thanks just curious.

31st pick?

37th pick?

37th pick & prospect?

Prospect?

I would think the 31st pick would do it to just move 1 spot as SJ will still get a heck of a player at 5. I think it depends on whether SJ is set on taking a particular player at 4.  If they have a player in mind and they are there at 4 then they are not likely swapping picks. 

The comment cited above can be found starting at 3:55 of this 32Thoughts podcast (actual comment at about 4:55).

THAT would certainly shake up the draft ... with all their recent signings, one might wonder whether Columbus could be enticed to trade #3, to the Habs or someone else ... at least in part,  Jarmo Kekalainen traded Josh Anderson because there were issues with Torts; wonder how Babcock (rumoured to be the coach-in-waiting; for TO contract to expire) feels about him ... part of a possible  "Fantilli trade"?

8 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

The comment cited above can be found starting at 3:55 of this 32Thoughts podcast (actual comment at about 4:55).

THAT would certainly shake up the draft ... with all their recent signings, one might wonder whether Columbus could be enticed to trade #3, to the Habs or someone else ... at least in part,  Jarmo Kekalainen traded Josh Anderson because there were issues with Torts; wonder how Babcock (rumoured to be the coach-in-waiting; for TO contract to expire) feels about him ... part of a possible  "Fantilli trade"?

That would definitely shake things up. I think that if Michkov shows up at the draft as expected and meets with several teams then the chances of him being taken in the top 4 definitely increase. 

33 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

If they want to take the Russian, you would think they would trade down to at least 4, or even 5 (I can’t see the sharks taking a guy who won’t be here for 3 years).

12 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

If they want to take the Russian, you would think they would trade down to at least 4, or even 5 (I can’t see the sharks taking a guy who won’t be here for 3 years).

Of course that would be putting their fate in someone else's hands ... if, for example, they traded with the Habs, and CBJ and/or SJS were to believe the Ducks want Michkov they would threaten to take him, or even trade with Arizona  Washington (rumoured to have interest) to try to get assets to not do so (or to flip picks) ... it could cost most of whatever the Ducks got to tarde down (or even more if somebody hires Keven Costner) I believe the "Yzerman approach" that they refer to in the 32 Thoughts is that you just have the cajónes to take the player you want wherever you are drafting.

3 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

Of course that would be putting their fate in someone else's hands ... if, for example, they traded with the Habs, were CBJ and SJS to believe the Ducks want Michkov they would threaten to take him and try to get assets to not do (or flip picks) ... I believe the "Yzerman approach" that they refer to in the 32 Thoughts is that you just have the cajónes to take the player you want wherever you are drafting.

I can’t see Columbus making all these deals this summer and signing Gaudreau to a big deal if get are drafting a guy who won’t be here for 3 years. When Grier took the job in SJS he also said that ownership doesn’t want a long rebuild. So unless we take him at 5, he probably drops further.