2023 NHL Playoffs

tomh009

Well, after last night it seems like this years Cup is Florida's to lose.

Teams with 5 OT wins on the road in a single playoffs:

2023 - Panthers

1980 - NYI

and of course:

1993 - Habs

NYI and Habs won the Cup when they had Florida's overtime success so the Panthers will likely win too.

I didn't like daddy Tkachuk so I'm disinclined to like his offspring, but they seem like great players. Florida is looking like the team of destiny right now, and to think if the Pens didn't shit the bed after the deadline they'd be out of the playoffs and we'd have a pick in the mid-teens.

1 hour ago, Neech said:

I didn't like daddy Tkachuk so I'm disinclined to like his offspring, but they seem like great players. Florida is looking like the team of destiny right now, and to think if the Pens didn't shit the bed after the deadline they'd be out of the playoffs and we'd have a pick in the mid-teens.

I liked Keith as a player but not so much as a hockey parent.  After all Keith does have the 5th most points for a US player.

The Habs playoff success in the run of 21 almost didn't happen either.  If the Flames had got a few more points there would have been a 4 way tie for 2nd between the Oils, Jets, Habs and Flames.  If that scenario had happened the Habs would have been the team out of the playoffs due to having the least regulation wins. 

Its hard to believe that a team that easily could have been 9th can win the conference and then have a chance to win the whole thing.

I feel the Leafs made a mistake firing Dubas before the Cup is won.  i.e. if Florida does win it all the Leafs might have been a lot closer than people realize.

Watching Dallas, Vegas after watching Canes, Florida is kind of jarring. 

Dallas, Vegas is slooooooow, sloooooow, sloooooooow hockey and the Florida, Canes series is significantly faster and every inch of that ice is contested. 

The only positive from the Dallas, Vegas is Eichel. That guy is a joy to watch

1 hour ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

Dallas, Vegas is slooooooow, sloooooow, sloooooooow hockey and the Florida, Canes series is significantly faster and every inch of that ice is contested. 

I will definitely be pulling for FLA to beat VGK. The Knights are a prototypical battle-hardened playoff team, though, with Florida more being upstarts. The thing about Florida is that they are getting Conn Smythe goaltending. That can make the difference. We all laughed at the Bobrovsky contract, but no one is laughing now.

19 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I will definitely be pulling for FLA to beat VGK. The Knights are a prototypical battle-hardened playoff team, though, with Florida more being upstarts. The thing about Florida is that they are getting Conn Smythe goaltending. That can make the difference. We all laughed at the Bobrovsky contract, but no one is laughing now.

So true. 

Bobrovsky has been incredible and is proof that a star goalie performance can win championships…if he indeed keeps up his pace 

Oilers…..pay attention 

1 hour ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

Bobrovsky has been incredible and is proof that a star goalie performance can win championships…if he indeed keeps up his pace 

Oilers…..pay attention 

It's proof that fortunes can change quickly especially for goalies.  Until very recently Bobrovsky's contract was a huge boat anchor for the Panthers.  He got hot at the right time which was very fortunate for Florida. They seem like the team of destiny this year. 

17 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

It's proof that fortunes can change quickly especially for goalies.  Until very recently Bobrovsky's contract was a huge boat anchor for the Panthers.  He got hot at the right time which was very fortunate for Florida. They seem like the team of destiny this year. 

Yeah, but if they win, it “won’t count” because they never would have won without Bobrovsky 🙄 

1 hour ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

47 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Yeah, but if they win, it “won’t count” because they never would have won without Bobrovsky 🙄 

Actually ... if they win they might even be able to move that boat anchor ... I wouldn't want to depend on him for three more years at $10M.

5 hours ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

The eastern teams seem a cut above the western teams - I think either of the Canes or Cats could beat their western counterparts. Dallas had Vezina level goaltending that seems to have disappeared in the playoffs.

Hintz and Heiskanen are fun players for the Stars. Robertson seems to have disappeared.

4 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

It’s not the same thing. Florida is a solid team.  They had a guy with a hundred points, three other guys with over 70 points, two 40+ goal scorers, one 30+ scorer and a guy who scored over 20.

they also got over 50 goals from their blue line. Bob the goalie has been lights out, but he’s got a solid team in front of him. They are more of a comparable to the 86 or 93 habs. I can’t think of worse team in the finals in the modern era - even the stars team against the Pens, and the Panthers team that went to the finals in the 90’a was better than the team we had in 2021. 

The hab team  that lost to the Rangers in the semi finals (after Kreider destroyed Price’s knee), or the Halak team that lost in the semi finals to Philly were actually better than the 2021 team.

2 hours ago, hab29RETIRED said:

It’s not the same thing. Florida is a solid team.  They had a guy with a hundred points, three other guys with over 70 points, two 40+ goal scorers, one 30+ scorer and a guy who scored over 20.

they also got over 50 goals from their blue line. Bob the goalie has been lights out, but he’s got a solid team in front of him. They are more of a comparable to the 86 or 93 habs. I can’t think of worse team in the finals in the modern era - even the stars team against the Pens, and the Panthers team that went to the finals in the 90’a was better than the team we had in 2021. 

The hab team  that lost to the Rangers in the semi finals (after Kreider destroyed Price’s knee), or the Halak team that lost in the semi finals to Philly were actually better than the 2021 team.

IMHO you are downplaying the 2021 team in order to sustain the narrative that MB was garbage. Which he was - but not when it came to assembling the patchwork, one-time-only, last-gasp roster of 2021. MB could not build an organization worth a tinker's damn, but he made great patchup moves in the summer of 2020 to give Weber and Price one last shot to win.

To say that that team was not 'solid' is simply inaccurate. The D was iron-clad, the G was elite, and the FW unit had a nice mix of skill, size, youthful exuberance, and veteran savvy.

Was it a powerhouse roster? No, which is why it didn't win the Cup. Was it a strong, hard-to-beat, deep veteran team? Yes. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

IMHO you are downplaying the 2021 team in order to sustain the narrative that MB was garbage. Which he was - but not when it came to assembling the patchwork, one-time-only, last-gasp roster of 2021. MB could not build an organization worth a tinker's damn, but he made great patchup moves in the summer of 2020 to give Weber and Price one last shot to win.

To say that that team was not 'solid' is simply inaccurate. The D was iron-clad, the G was elite, and the FW unit had a nice mix of skill, size, youthful exuberance, and veteran savvy.

Was it a powerhouse roster? No, which is why it didn't win the Cup. Was it a strong, hard-to-beat, deep veteran team? Yes. 

A good analysis. I don't think anyone here is claiming it was an all world team but it was as you say "a strong, hard-to-beat, deep veteran team" with some great veteran leadership and character. It wasn't quite good enough to take the final step.

I know we have gone over MB ad nauseam. After seeing what Hughes is doing, I am very glad he is in charge now, a rebuild was needed and Hughes is the right person for the job. Certainly MB had his flaws but he did leave Hughes with some good young pieces (ie. Suzuki, Caufield, Guhle, Harris, Xhekaj etc), some extra draft picks and of course some bad contracts (ie. Gallagher).

My biggest problem with MB is that he didn't take the rebuild far enough when it became obvious that a rebuild was required. The Suzuki trade was a great step in that direction but he needed to do more. Anyway, I prefer to look forward. 

Bobrovsky’s contract or struggles in the past don’t take away what he is doing this playoff. 

The guy is playing really, really well. 

Detroit Red Wings won a few cups without a star goaltender performance  so you don’t need a great goalie but they sure as hell make a huge difference. 

Several cups wouldn’t have been won without Herculean efforts by the goalkeeper, including 86, 93 Habs and most of NJ cups. 

There seems to be no stopping Florida.  I thought it was a huge loss when Carolina lost Svechnikov for the year but it's really showing up now.  Carolina has scored 3 goals in 13 periods of hockey!  If they had Pacioretty and Svechnikov you would think that maybe they would have won 1 of the OT games. 

Wow, the Florida game did not go into OT.  Who thought that game was going to end in regulation?

I didn't' see much of this game but its surprising how close this series is.  

8 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

Carolina has scored 3 goals in 13 periods of hockey! 

Oddly, the Panthers aren't doing much better with 6 goals and somehow they have a stranglehold on the series. 

Was KK hurt in the last game?

He didn't get a shift in the last 8:12 of the game, and had the least TOI of any Hurricane.

Hmm, history in the making tonight.  It has never happened before that both winning teams in the conference finals have gone up 3 games to 0 in their series in the NHL and even in the NBA too.   

1 hour ago, Sir_Boagalott said:

Hmm, history in the making tonight.  It has never happened before that both winning teams in the conference finals have gone up 3 games to 0 in their series in the NHL and even in the NBA too.   

I’m hoping for the dual sweep 🧹 and I might just get it 🥳

On 5/22/2023 at 7:25 AM, Prime Minister Koivu said:

Very accurate.  Florida Carolina has been some intense hockey. I wish the series was closer.