2023 NHL Playoffs

tomh009

50 minutes ago, Commandant said:

The max fine is a CBA issue.  So the NHLPA is pushing to.keep it low.

When the NHL has wanted a salary cap, or max 8 year deals, or 50/50 hrr, or some other issue in CBA negotiations, the max fine has been an issue that they havent pushed.  Its not the hill to.die on for the league.

That is because they have NEVER shown that player safety is an issue about which they care.

2 hours ago, GHT120 said:

That is because they have NEVER shown that player safety is an issue about which they care.

What league has made it a CBA issue that they will fight against the union about?

Most player safety issues come from the union, but thats better equipment, or changing rules like kickoffs in the NFL or something.  Owners don't push for longer suspensions or bigger fines and the Union doesn't either.  There is no incentive for either side to do so. 

2 hours ago, Commandant said:

What league has made it a CBA issue that they will fight against the union about?

Most player safety issues come from the union, but thats better equipment, or changing rules like kickoffs in the NFL or something.  Owners don't push for longer suspensions or bigger fines and the Union doesn't either.  There is no incentive for either side to do so. 

I hold the NHLPA equally at fault ... they represent only the "criminal" and never the "victim".

18 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

Suspensions are not a CBA issue, are they?

Individually no ... but the parameters of the suspension process are covered by ARTICLE 18 -  SUPPLEMENTARY DISCIPLINE FOR ON-ICE CONDUCT of the 2012 CBA, which was unchanged under the current MOU (B+CBA extension) ... it covers pages 116 through 123.

12 minutes ago, huzer said:

How do you mean? Supplementalary discipline is defined in the CBA in Article 18.

I checked the CBA now. The procedure is laid out there, but unlike fines, which are limited to $10K (less than 0.1% of a top player's salary) there are no limits on the length of the suspensions. It only takes guts by "player safety" to do that.

26 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

I checked the CBA now. The procedure is laid out there, but unlike fines, which are limited to $10K (less than 0.1% of a top player's salary) there are no limits on the length of the suspensions. It only takes guts by "player safety" to do that.

Right, the "wheel of justice" is spun at the DoPS office and where ever it lands is what they pick. It's quite silly, honestly.

10 hours ago, GHT120 said:

$500 fines ... it's playoff hockey.

Giving the top playoff scorer a vicious slash with the game over and you have nothing to lose is a little more than playoff hockey.  It was a pure cheap shot and not even close to the puck.  If Nurse gets 1 game for instigating a fight with someone who is 6'6" then Piatrangelo is getting something and deservedly so. 

1 hour ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

Giving the top playoff scorer a vicious slash with the game over and you have nothing to lose is a little more than playoff hockey.  It was a pure cheap shot and not even close to the puck.  If Nurse gets 1 game for instigating a fight with someone who is 6'6" then Piatrangelo is getting something and deservedly so. 

Apologies ... forgot to include <sarcasm on>

11 hours ago, tomh009 said:

Sure, that's fair, but the fines are still negligible, it's like you or me paying a parking ticket.

Make it 1% of salary to account for playoff games, but it should be big enough to inflict some pain and discourage the behaviour.

It is an agreed upon amount by player-owners, so if thats what they want, so be it. They can agree to changes in a couple years, i think?

Just seemed so pre-meditated and agregious.

If Draisaitles arm had been broken, would of been a shiteshow.

image.png

Well, that was certainly weird.  Dallas just had one of those shots on net that looked like it might have gone it but bounced right out.  They started celebrating but the ref immediately waived it off.  The play went on, Kraken got the puck out and took it into the Stars zone when the buzzer went off .  At 1st they kept playing until the refs blew the whistle and the game stopped.  Apparently, it was reviewed in T.O. and the puck had gone in.  I've never seen that happen before, not like that anyway.  Usually, at the next stoppage they review it to make sure.  

6 hours ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

I'm surprised that some here said it wouldn't be a suspension for that.  I realized that he wouldn't get much but he should get at least 2 games.   

Nurse shouldn't have 1 at all and I heard they are trying to appeal it but I'm not sure if they can.  That was an automatic penalty and suspension due it happening in the last 5 mins of the game.  Is completely ridiculous to give Nurse an instigator penalty when the other guy punched him 8 times before he started punching back.  If anyone deserves the instigator penalty and suspension from that it should be Hague.  

3 hours ago, huzer said:

One game suspension. Seems rather light to me. I mean he skates over to him with his stick already in position to deliver the whack. 

I loved how the 1 analyst referred to him having his stick up in the air tickling the ceiling.  The way he came down with his stick was like he was attempting a coup de grace on him. 

9 hours ago, Sir_Boagalott said:

Well, that was certainly weird.  Dallas just had one of those shots on net that looked like it might have gone it but bounced right out.  They started celebrating but the ref immediately waived it off.  The play went on, Kraken got the puck out and took it into the Stars zone when the buzzer went off .  At 1st they kept playing until the refs blew the whistle and the game stopped.  Apparently, it was reviewed in T.O. and the puck had gone in.  I've never seen that happen before, not like that anyway.  Usually, at the next stoppage they review it to make sure.  

That's a rule, actually.  On plays like that, they do video review while the play is going and if it definitively went in, they signal down to stop play immediately.  The last thing they want is for a penalty/injury to occur or even another goal to be scored once they know they have to move the clock back already, this rule limits the risk of that by blowing it down as soon as they know, not at the next whistle.

21 hours ago, tomh009 said:

Suspensions are not a CBA issue, are they?

Yes they are including

max fines

max suspension lengths and when an in-person hearing is needed. 
when a suspension can be appealed and who hears the appeal

what happens to a player's salary during the suspension. 

what happens to a cap hit during the suspension. 

These are all defined in the CBA.  

21 hours ago, tomh009 said:

You have the appeal procedures and precedents which the arbitrator takes into account 

I think it was tom wilson who recently had his suspension reduced by an arbitrator (ie last 5 years). 

Basically everything is based on precedent and if DOPS goes way outside precedent, expect an appeal 

26 minutes ago, Helmethead said:

No way is that a goal. 

And they’ll be crying about that alllllll summer. 

I think it did go in, but no angle definitively shows it cross the goal.  However, he does push the goalies pad so if it did cross the line the Panthers would probably have a valid argument to challenge for goalie interference.  

It will totally suck if the Leafs lose the game over that call because we will hear Leaf fans whining about it forever.