Summer 2023 Off-season

DON

1 hour ago, DON said:

With logjam at forward, Slafkovski is one who can go to the AHL.

Would he be better off there with lots of icetime, than 3rd line with habs, at least to start season?

Or is that unlikely, given he is a #1 pick and his play was 'OK' last year?

that is what I would hope for, but I am not sure Hugh-Gort would be willing to send him down.

11 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

that is what I would hope for, but I am not sure Hugh-Gort would be willing to send him down.

Yes, seems European should not be rushed as quickly into the NHL and dont think anyone would argue he likely wouldnt of been better off playing the year in AHL/Europe.

Style of play (not as fast/physical) and rink size must require some adaptation to regular game?

Not sure what stats would say if looked at high Euro picks, who stayed in the SHL/KHL/AHL/...a year longer vs those who jumped straight to NHL?

Some think Primeau would pass through waivers because he just isnt that good and some think is a handful of teams that 'may' see him as bit of upgrade.

I wouldnt have a clue, but i am guessing they will risk it, seems most likely.

Montreal’s Primeau Problem – HabsWorld.net

I’m really not a Primeau believer. If we lose him on waivers, no doubt we can pick up some other marginal goalie the same way or via flipping some marginal return back the other way. I do like what the article suggests, though: carry three G for a little while until it looks like other teams’ goalie situation is settled, then try to send him down. If that doesn’t work, well, so be it.

The article presents moving Allen as preferable in theory to losing Primeau. I get that Allen in on his last legs but I don’t see how it’s better to lose a legitimate NHL netminder in order to keep one who didn’t even play well in the A last season. 🤷‍♂️ 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I’m really not a Primeau believer. If we lose him on waivers, no doubt we can pick up some other marginal goalie the same way or via flipping some marginal return back the other way. I do like what the article suggests, though: carry three G for a little while until it looks like other teams’ goalie situation is settled, then try to send him down. If that doesn’t work, well, so be it.

The article presents moving Allen as preferable in theory to losing Primeau. I get that Allen in on his last legs but I don’t see how it’s better to lose a legitimate NHL netminder in order to keep one who didn’t even play well in the A last season. 🤷‍♂️ 

I don’t have much hope for Premieu, but you never know with goalies. who thought Montembeault could be a starter?

id rather not risk losing him for nothing . So I’d rather start the year with three goalies - IF Premieau has a decent camp. I’d play him more than Allen. Try that for 15-20 games, and if Premieau looks like he is ready, move Allen. Otherwise send Premieau down or if possible trade him at that time.

the drawback with that is that approach is that we have a glut of forwards and D and it’s not ideal to Easter roster spot on a third goalie.  I don’t think that is a big issue though, because I’d rather start the waiver eligible forwards in the AHL - no matter how good of a camp guys like Roy have. Same thing on D. Go with the ones that have the best camp, and send the others to play big minutes in Laval.

id also add that if overpaid veterans like Hoffman and Armia look like crap, send them down to the AHL. If they don’t want to report, release them, and I think in that case we wouldn’t even have to buy them out.

2 hours ago, hab29RETIRED said:

id also add that if overpaid veterans like Hoffman and Armia look like crap, send them down to the AHL. If they don’t want to report, release them, and I think in that case we wouldn’t even have to buy them out.

Hoffman was on 17g 41.6point pace, he wont look like crap in camp, he has that NHL elite shot or release, he is just not big on breaking a sweat or getting physical during a game, if Habs PP was better he likely would have bit better offense. ;)

I don’t have much hope for Premieu, but you never know with goalies. who thought Montembeault could be a starter?

Do we know that for certain YET?

Nobody is walking away from millions of dollars ... there are also questions of whether you want Hoffman with the youngsters in Laval (I see Armia as too quiet to be disruptive) and whether you want to bury an established veteran when the team is potentially looking to sign free agents next summer.

1 hour ago, GHT120 said:

I think this season will tell whether Montembeault has what it takes to be an NHL starter, or at least a 1B. He did well last season, can he do as well with a somewhat less porous defence in front of him this time?

6 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

I think this season will tell whether Montembeault has what it takes to be an NHL starter, or at least a 1B. He did well last season, can he do as well with a somewhat less porous defence in front of him this time?

AND expectations higher.

3 hours ago, GHT120 said:

Nobody is walking away from millions of dollars ... there are also questions of whether you want Hoffman with the youngsters in Laval (I see Armia as too quiet to be disruptive) and whether you want to bury an established veteran when the team is potentially looking to sign free agents next summer.

With respect to Premieau goes, I said I don’t have much hope for him based on how he’s looked in the NHL so far. But that’s a why I said I’d rather start with three goalies to give him a shot this year. We have three options with him.
1) Carry three goalies, to give him one last chance. If he shows he belongs, move Allen (assuming Montembeault iprovea to be a legit a starter).

2) put him on waivers, and hope he goes unclaimed. I think there is a higher probability someone would claim him. There are some lousy tams, and I’m sure someone will roll the dice on a cheap gamble.

3) trade him out of fear of losing him for nothing.

He hasn’t shown to be anything more than a minor league goaltender to date. Now that he is waiver eligible, there really are no other options, and there is not much of a runaway for additional time to make a decision, other than giving him a shot at the start of the year.

As far as Hoffman, it’s unlikely he walks away, but you never know. Maybe he isn’t willing to go to the minors, and would rather settle for less to play for a NHL team. it’s his last year, he may walk away to get an NHL spot if we did send him down- Zadina did. BeT case scenario is he comes in motivated in camp in his UFA year and we can get a 3rd to 5th rounder for him. I can’t see him being productive enough for much more of a return.

Personally I think he will suck. And while you are worried about him being disruptive with the young players in Laval, I really don’t want him around the kids in the NHL. But than I’m biased - hated the signing and don’t like the player.

10 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

That's not the tone I was going for.  I was basically just saying that some might think the solution is moving Allen (those would probably be the 'tank for Celebrini' crowd) but that management probably wouldn't do that.

• Upvote 1

57 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

That's not the tone I was going for.  I was basically just saying that some might think the solution is moving Allen (those would probably be the 'tank for Celebrini' crowd) but that management probably wouldn't do that.

Yeah, fair enough. I guess I was amplifying the point to suggest that management would be right not to.

58 minutes ago, DON said:

Will Hoffman be Alzner 2.0 and be buried in AHL?

Habs will focus on development opportunities for youth and give up on hope that he lights it up and is a big trade asset come Feb?

Latest On Mike Hoffman (prohockeyrumors.com)

Alzner was a consummate pro and a good teammate who was great for the youngsters in Laval ... I just cannot imagine Hoffman doing the same ... I expect HuGo will sweeten a deal and get rid of MH, or hope he becomes tradeable sans-sweetener and ditch him ASAP ... the possibility for an actual return is the slimmest of hopes, stick-figure slim.

Crazy how much ink has been wasted on a player on a relatively minor deal, on a team that doesn't require cap space, and whose contract expires after this season. The Habs aren't Cup bound this year. Play Hoffman, hope he pots some goals, and has some value at the deadline. But to sweeten a deal to trade him, or buy him out seems absolutely ridiculous.

Waive/assign Pitlick, RHP, Pezetta, sit Armia. Do the Habs on Aug 2 have a lot of forwards on the roster? Sure. Will all of these players still be here come Oct 1, doubtful.

37 minutes ago, huzer said:

Crazy how much ink has been wasted on a player on a relatively minor deal, on a team that doesn't require cap space, and whose contract expires after this season.

Contract isnt the issue for 2023-24 season, it is a possible roster spot for youth like Farrell, Slafkovski, Ylonen, RHP, Heineman or maybe Roy.

Why waste the year playing Hoffman at all...other than pump up his trade value.

39 minutes ago, huzer said:

Crazy how much ink has been wasted on a player on a relatively minor deal, on a team that doesn't require cap space, and whose contract expires after this season. The Habs aren't Cup bound this year. Play Hoffman, hope he pots some goals, and has some value at the deadline. But to sweeten a deal to trade him, or buy him out seems absolutely ridiculous.

Waive/assign Pitlick, RHP, Pezetta, sit Armia. Do the Habs on Aug 2 have a lot of forwards on the roster? Sure. Will all of these players still be here come Oct 1, doubtful.

100% agree

I just hope that they do a better ob with Hoffman than they did with Dadonov, to get a better return at the deadline

1 hour ago, huzer said:

The Habs aren't Cup bound this year. Play Hoffman, hope he pots some goals, and has some value at the deadline. But to sweeten a deal to trade him, or buy him out seems absolutely ridiculous.

That is my thought. Only 1 year left, retain 50% and get whatever you can at the deadline. If he creates a problem then you can sit him in the pressbox and play some of the kids. 

dlbalr's bit on Andy and poll- How many goals?

Fantasy Focus: Josh Anderson – HabsWorld.net

I am guessing he stays relatively healthy has good year and gets 22g and no, not because is same as dlbalr's projection, just seems about right.

7 hours ago, Neech said:

I'd love to maximize Hoffman's value, but he's probably not worth much more than Dadonov was at the deadline. I'd rather just play the youth and see if Ylonen or Farrell can hang in the league. 

ditto

Canadiens Need to Make Room for Youth (thehockeywriters.com)

7 hours ago, Neech said:

I'd love to maximize Hoffman's value, but he's probably not worth much more than Dadonov was at the deadline. I'd rather just play the youth and see if Ylonen or Farrell can hang in the league. 

My point was not necessarily that he will magically be worth a high pick, more that the Habs are not in a position where they need to sweeten a deal for someone to trade for him. Retain salary, sure. Add a pick or prospect to take him? Heck no.

Given their histories, Gallagher, Monahan, Evans, Savard, and Matheson will probably be injured before training camp even starts, and Armia will have a mystery illness. 

Oh well, after this season, we can stop whipping on Hoffman and turn our nastiness on Gallagher and his anchor of a contract. Although I guess enough are annoyed with Armia, too.

Newhook, love that he brings lots speed, replace (and upgrade) for Byron.

https://www.nhlpa.com/news/1-22526/alex-newhook-looking-forward-to-sporting-canadiens-colours

“It’s hard to put in words how special it will be to wear that jersey for the first time in a regular-season game,” said the young centre..."

Alex Newhook looking forward to sporting Canadiens colours

5 hours ago, huzer said:

My point was not necessarily that he will magically be worth a high pick, more that the Habs are not in a position where they need to sweeten a deal for someone to trade for him. Retain salary, sure. Add a pick or prospect to take him? Heck no.

Given their histories, Gallagher, Monahan, Evans, Savard, and Matheson will probably be injured before training camp even starts, and Armia will have a mystery illness. 

Oh well, after this season, we can stop whipping on Hoffman and turn our nastiness on Gallagher and his anchor of a contract. Although I guess enough are annoyed with Armia, too.

Honestly... I don't know how much Gallagher's contract will actually impact us. We have like 6M free now... 10M next year... Cap goes up dramatically after that.. then by that point I imagine he's on ltir if we are being realistic.

18 minutes ago, Plutarch said:

Honestly... I don't know how much Gallagher's contract will actually impact us. We have like 6M free now... 10M next year... Cap goes up dramatically after that.. then by that point I imagine he's on ltir if we are being realistic.

Habs are currently over the $82.5M cap ceiling ... This season Gallagher's contract pretty much guarantees that, absent trades/waiver-losses, Price has to go on LTIR ... that means that any of the $4.21M in potential bonuses for this season that are earned would carry-over and count against next season's cap, that the Habs cannot accrue any cap space to potentially use at the deadline and that roster/cap management is more complicated throughout the season (e.g., have to pretty much be at $93M in total AAV to start the season to maximize Price's LTIR).

Going forward it restricts what HuGo could potentially spend on UFAs.

A bad contract is always a bad contract ... Gallagher has to (a) stay healthy and (b) get back to at least 20 goals and 60 points to change that (IMO).