Hoffman gone, Petry and Casey DeSmith and picks in.

Meller93

9 hours ago, huzer said:

DeSmith I'm neither here and there, but it would seem kind of bad juju to move Allen before he even plays a game into his new contract.

I don't think this part of the trade will result in Allen being moved.  With his contract and the year he had, there probably isn't a market for him.  DeSmith was included for cap purposes from Pittsburgh and it wouldn't surprise me if Montreal tries to flip him elsewhere (New Jersey stands out as they haven't ruled out going for another goalie and DeSmith is better than any UFA still out there).  Otherwise, he'll be an expensive platoon partner in Laval.

dlbar's write up on trade.

Habs make three-team trade with Sharks and Penguins – HabsWorld.net

this was the oddest part of deal for me, didnt think either would want to reunite;

"However, the Habs weren’t on his 15-team no-trade list (possibly because he never would have thought they’d bring him back)..."

Has Petry spoken about deal yet?

Kent Hughes and the Canadiens are a winner in the Erik Karlsson trade (habseyesontheprize.com)

1 hour ago, dlbalr said:

I don't think this part of the trade will result in Allen being moved.  With his contract and the year he had, there probably isn't a market for him.  DeSmith was included for cap purposes from Pittsburgh and it wouldn't surprise me if Montreal tries to flip him elsewhere (New Jersey stands out as they haven't ruled out going for another goalie and DeSmith is better than any UFA still out there).  Otherwise, he'll be an expensive platoon partner in Laval.

Does this complicate Primeau’s situation at all or was the idea to waive him anyway?

I kind of thought that we would start the season with 3 goalies and go from there but no way we are starting with four!

Going to be an interesting month 

1 hour ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

Does this complicate Primeau’s situation at all or was the idea to waive him anyway?

I kind of thought that we would start the season with 3 goalies and go from there but no way we are starting with four!

Given the number of young players competing for roster spots, I can't see the Habs carrying more than two goalies on the roster. At this point I have to believe that Hughes has a plan for this, but certainly is not clear what it might be.

blackadder-baldrick.gif

I don't care about Primeau, since I am pretty firmly convinced he is garbage in NHL terms.

Regarding Petry, I'm not sure we can lose. If we can't flip him in the short term, he sticks around and provides a valuable buffer for our under-cooked RD prospects. Eventually we should be able to ship him out, one way or the other, unless he has somehow turned into a complete piece of crap overnight. The absolute worst case scenario is that he plays out his contract with us, but unless we expect to contend in 2025, his cap hit will not really be a problem.

2 hours ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

Going to be an interesting month 

I don't think this affects Primeau's situation too much.  I think DeSmith is a sunk cost that they had to take on, not one they necessarily wanted to.  I'd be surprised if he's in the NHL rotation in October if he's still with the Habs.  Primeau's decision should still be independent of what happens with DeSmith.

1 hour ago, tomh009 said:

Given the number of young players competing for roster spots, I can't see the Habs carrying more than two goalies on the roster. At this point I have to believe that Hughes has a plan for this, but certainly is not clear what it might be.

blackadder-baldrick.gif

My thinking was starting the season with Primeau while the Habs decide if anyone can be moved or if Allen is going to be healthy or not before waiving Primeau. 

But yeah you are likely right that there are too many aspiring forwards to tie up a roster spot. 

4 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

I don't think this affects Primeau's situation too much.  I think DeSmith is a sunk cost that they had to take on, not one they necessarily wanted to.  I'd be surprised if he's in the NHL rotation in October if he's still with the Habs.  Primeau's decision should still be independent of what happens with DeSmith.

Thanks Brian. 

Hughes has some work to do

23 hours ago, DON said:

Matheson & Petry might be interesting pairing, not in a million years would i guess he would be back in a Hab jersey.

(Hoffman gone thank god; but Whiny Petry back...hmm)

I think the Petry's are getting a bad rap. They loved their time in Montreal and always said that. Their issue was the insane covid restrictions Canada and specifically Quebec implemented that greatly limited their access to their family in the US and their going out in Quebec on a daily basis. 

From everything I have seen and read they are quality people who simply didn't want to continue living under the strict covid restrictions.

As a player he is in decline but most of the writer's I've read said he is still a top 4 right-handed D-man.

I think we should show Jeff and his wife a little respect. That's my thought.   

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

Did Mike Grier get absolutely taken to the cleaners on this trade? Sure, he got rid of Karlsson's contract, but he didn't get much in return, and even sent out a 3rd rounder. Another example of why I'm glad we didn't go for a former player as our GM.

2 hours ago, REV-G said:

I think the Petry's are getting a bad rap. They loved their time in Montreal and always said that. Their issue was the insane covid restrictions Canada and specifically Quebec implemented that greatly limited their access to their family in the US and their going out in Quebec on a daily basis. 

From everything I have seen and read they are quality people who simply didn't want to continue living under the strict covid restrictions.

As a player he is in decline but most of the writer's I've read said he is still a top 4 right-handed D-man.

While I’be enjoyed the snarky remarks around Mrs. Petry, I really can’t blame Jeff for wanting to get out from under DD’s stupidity. As Commandant reminded us, that was another factor.

The other thing that seems to be forgotten is what a quietly HUGE performer Petry was for us except for the disastrous 2021-22 season. He left on a sour note, but I’ve got nothing but respect for his overall contributions as a Hab.

22 minutes ago, Neech said:

Did Mike Grier get absolutely taken to the cleaners on this trade? Sure, he got rid of Karlsson's contract, but he didn't get much in return, and even sent out a 3rd rounder. Another example of why I'm glad we didn't go for a former player as our GM.

Kinda depends on the former player, no? Yzerman and Francis seem to have done pretty OK, and heck, Serge Savard outperformed every one of his successors by some distance. It does remain a valid question, though: does being a player position you, in any real way, to excel as a hockey GM, compared to, say, being a player agent, or a lifelong exec like Dubas?

16 minutes ago, Neech said:

I don't think he got taken to the cleaners. He did get a 1st round pick and got rid of a monster contract for 4 years, only having to eat 1.5 million/year. He cleared 10 million in cap space after 2 years as Hoffman will only be on the books for a year if not less while Granlund and Rutta have 2 left and they might be tradeable at some point.

How many teams can take on that kind of contract?  The market was very small for Karlsson and I think Grier did the best he could. 

4 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Kinda depends on the former player, no? Yzerman and Francis seem to have done pretty OK, and heck, Serge Savard outperformed every one of his successors by some distance. It does remain a valid question, though: does being a player position you, in any real way, to excel as a hockey GM, compared to, say, being a player agent, or a lifelong exec like Dubas?

That guy in Colorado has done OK as GM. 

28 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

... I really can’t blame Jeff for wanting to get out from under DD’s stupidity ...

That happened 45 games into Petry's last season in Montreal ... MSL was his coach when he asked for a trade ... don't think it had anything to do with DD at that point.

12 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

That happened 45 games into Petry's last season in Montreal ... MSL was his coach when he asked for a trade ... don't think it had anything to do with DD at that point.

He asked for the trade under DD. 

Yes, he was traded under MSL, but the wheels were already in motion. 

1 minute ago, Commandant said:

He asked for the trade under DD. 

Yes, he was traded under MSL, but the wheels were already in motion. 

Perhaps, but (IMO) that he didn't change his mind once DD was gone shows that the "coach" was not the major reason for the request.

3 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

Perhaps, but (IMO) that he didn't change his mind once DD was gone shows that the "coach" was not the major reason for the request.

As I said, his wife was not happy with Canada's Covid rules and how her family couldn't visit.  That was an issue too. 

Also we were last place in the entire league, and he probably wanted to leave to try and play for a winner too.  It didn't work out in Pittsburgh obvously.

The first two issues (DD and Covid) are no longer issues.... and as for the third, he's probably traded again by the trade deadline and knows that Hughes will try and move him again as we are still rebuilding.  Going to a city you are familiar with for anywhere from 1-8 months isn't the worst thing in his situation. 

3 hours ago, REV-G said:

He tanked his play on the ice, which i think was 'unprofessional' and a big negative for his teammates to deal with.

If we retain 50% on Petry's salary, what's his value around the league? A veteran RD coming off two down years, turning 36 this season, but with some great years before that including a recent finals run where he was a key contributor. Should be worth at least another 2nd, right? Would it be worth it to rehabilitate his value in the lineup first?

1 hour ago, Neech said:

Would it be worth it to rehabilitate his value in the lineup first?

I think so. Petry's market value is pretty much close to the bottom right now.  He always liked MSL so maybe he can turn it around. Of course Hughes might have other plans. 

My thought is that if he's happy here, he should stay till the deadline. Petry fills a huge hole on the team. Savard was great for what he was last year, but there is no way he should be getting 1st pair minutes. Petry makes the team better and shifts the defensive depth closer to where it should be. This team was a trainwreck in theor own zone last year. Forwards and defense are going to nerd to play better in their own zone if they hope to compete in the future. If the tank is over and the aim is to start learning how to win, Petry helps that as a player now, more than a pick later.

Of course this all hinges on his engagement level. If he's not into it, flip him fast.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, DON said:

What would Petry be worth in trade, to east coast american team? A 2nd rd pick?

I think it depends on whether the Habs retain salary. Without salary retention they couldn't give him away.  If the Habs retained 50% then maybe a 2nd or 3rd?  I am just guessing here. I think he needs to play well in Mtl for a while to convince other teams that last year was an anomaly. 

If Cap friendly is right, Petry is a better offensive option than any of the available  UFA RDs. I say he is traded before the season starts:

image.png