Tanner Pearson and 3rd to Habs, Casey DeSmith to Canucks

revvvrob

I speak as someone who was never on TwitterX in the first place, but I can’t believe people are still clinging to that BS platform now that Bro Musk has turned it into his man-child vanity project. Get the f**k off that thing and go to Mastodon or some other, less sociopathic venues. 🤷‍♂️

2 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I speak as someone who was never on TwitterX in the first place, but I can’t believe people are still clinging to that BS platform now that Bro Musk has turned it into his man-child vanity project. Get the f**k off that thing and go to Mastodon or some other, less sociopathic venues. 🤷‍♂️

There aren’t useable alternatives yet. 

Mastodon is difficult to use and isn’t close. 

The Meta one, Threads has unprecedented access to your information and I would never use it. 

BlueSky is in beta but this one should work as it is made by the original Twitter guy. 

Until then there is no other option to easily access all Habs reporting in one place. 

Musk has and is currently destroying that 44 billion dollar investment. The world used to believe the man was a genius. Now everyone knows that Musk is genuinely brain damaged and an asshole to boot 

• Upvote 1

I think Threads (the Meta one) has the best chance. They have the resources and the infrastructure to make it work. I can't see Mastodon getting beyond a niche, and BlueSky is too far away from being useful or having critical mass.

Meta has a ton of existing users they can leverage. Not everyone wants to share their personal details with Meta, but you can create a user ID with prety minimal information and then avoid posting anything personal.

I have no horse in this race, I only use Twitter/X to retrieve information and rarely even log in. I can use something else, but need something actually useful.

25 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

I think Threads (the Meta one) has the best chance. They have the resources and the infrastructure to make it work. I can't see Mastodon getting beyond a niche, and BlueSky is too far away from being useful or having critical mass.

Meta has a ton of existing users they can leverage. Not everyone wants to share their personal details with Meta, but you can create a user ID with prety minimal information and then avoid posting anything personal.

I have no horse in this race, I only use Twitter/X to retrieve information and rarely even log in. I can use something else, but need something actually useful.

same here. I have a Mastodon account, but it is not as useful as Twiter/X

I am not ready to move to a Meta, Google or Microsoft platform because they are as awful  as Musk's platforms

3 hours ago, DON said:

The Trudeaus, really ?!

trous d’eaux ?!

I liked the trade, if Pearson turns to be a Byron in the IR or LTIR then it will be all awash.

If he plays, it will mean a prospect is getting meaningful minutes in Laval 

As for the cap, bof. I don’t really care as long as the Habs continue to make progress towards becoming a cup contending team 

Good thoughts by the HW team. I just don't see the argument that he's blocking talented young LW from ascending to the league, though. First, this team tends to bring up young players too quickly anyway, so a bit of resistance might be a good thing. But more to the point, the guy he is most likely to crowd out is actually Pezzetta. We don't have a profusion of great young LW banging on the door as far as I can see.

Decided to look at the Pearson impact on the cap ... using CapFriendly numbers, I took ***MY*** best guesses on the opening day roster ... Blue means on the Habs' roster (22-man) to start the season, red is on IRL (not LTIR) to start the season and green means they are GO-ing somewhere else.

image.png

I was SHOCKED to discover the Habs are only over by about $2.4M (unless I messed up) ... so not as dire as I feared.

I expect the "arguments" will likely be about Barron vs Lindström ... and ... Andersson vs Pezzetta vs Ylönen ... but the point of this post is not those choices, but the cap impact of Pearson ... swapping out Lindström for Barron, or Pezzetta/Ylönen for Andersson makes no substantial difference.

My conclusion ... it may be time to explore the cost of getting rid of Armia ... but that is a different thread.

1 hour ago, GHT120 said:

Decided to look at the Pearson impact on the cap ... using CapFriendly numbers, I took ***MY*** best guesses on the opening day roster ... Blue means on the Habs' roster (22-man) to start the season, red is on IRL (not LTIR) to start the season and green means they are GO-ing somewhere else.

image.png

I was SHOCKED to discover the Habs are only over by about $2.4M (unless I messed up) ... so not as dire as I feared.

I expect the "arguments" will likely be about Barron vs Lindström ... and ... Andersson vs Pezzetta vs Ylönen ... but the point of this post is not those choices, but the cap impact of Pearson ... swapping out Lindström for Barron, or Pezzetta/Ylönen for Andersson makes no substantial difference.

My conclusion ... it may be time to explore the cost of getting rid of Armia ... but that is a different thread.

Good analysis - now comes the fun part - can you get another $2.32M off the books on paper to get the Habs cap-compliant for their season-opening roster to allow them to use in-season LTIR?  This roster can have all of Price, Dvorak, and Wideman on there and the only requirements are 12-6-2.  Ideally, the roster would have all or as many players with bonuses as possible as there's a benefit to that.

In the example, Ylonen, for example, is papered to Laval. However, his cao hit is only $775K so the savings is not much. Better to put Gallagher on waivers (no one will pick him up anyway) and take advantage of the full $1.1M (or so?) savings.

So, keep Ylonen with the Habs, and paper Gallagher, Armia and Pearson?

CapFriendly.com Armchair-GM User-Generated Roster

FORWARDS (12)
Right Wing: Josh Anderson ($5,500,000) - Jesse Ylönen ($775,000) - Michael Pezzetta ($812,500) - Jake Evans ($1,700,000)
Centre: Nick Suzuki ($7,875,000) - Christian Dvorak ($4,450,000) - Kirby Dach ($3,362,500) - Sean Monahan ($1,985,000)
Left Wing: Cole Caufield ($7,850,000) - Alex Newhook ($2,900,000) - Rafaël Harvey-Pinard ($1,100,000) - Juraj Slafkovsky ($950,000)

DEFENSE (6)
Right: David Savard ($3,500,000) - Johnathan Kovacevic ($766,667) - Chris Wideman ($762,500)
Left: Michael Matheson ($4,875,000) - Kaiden Guhle ($863,333) - Arber Xhekaj ($828,333)

GOALTENDER (3)
Jake Allen ($3,850,000) - Samuel Montembeault ($1,000,000) - Carey Price ($10,500,000)

BURIED (4)
Brendan Gallagher ($5,350,000) - Tanner Pearson ($2,100,000) - Jordan Harris ($250,000) - Joel Armia ($2,250,000)

BUYOUTS (1)
Karl Alzner ($833,333)

RETAINED SALARY TRANSACTIONS (2)
Joel Edmundson ($1,750,000) - Jeff Petry ($2,343,750)

DETAILS
Roster Size: 21
Salary Cap: $83,500,000
Bonus Overages: $1,170,000
Cap Hit: $82,252,916
Cap Space: $1,247,084

15 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

In the example, Ylonen, for example, is papered to Laval. However, his cao hit is only $775K so the savings is not much. Better to put Gallagher on waivers (no one will pick him up anyway) and take advantage of the full $1.1M (or so?) savings.

Unfortunately, Gallagher has the ability to block a waiver placement as he has a full NMC.

2 hours ago, dlbalr said:

Unfortunately, Gallagher has the ability to block a waiver placement as he has a full NMC.

Gawd. More brilliant contract management by MB 🙄

23 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Gawd. More brilliant contract management by MB 🙄

Full-out bromance

Wasn't the main point of this trade to alleviate cap space and prevent Price from starting the season on LTIR?

For the Habs to be cap-compliant for their season-opening roster to allow them to use in-season LTIR dont they just need to send Pearson down?

DeSmith would not pass through waivers, he'd get picked up by somebody and lost for nothing.  Hughes traded him for a player that makes similar $ who can be waived and will not be taken. Plus, the Habs got the 3rd rnd pick they wanted for DeSmith and hopefully Pearson rebounds and they can get something for him at the trade deadline.

32 minutes ago, Sir_Boagalott said:

Wasn't the main point of this trade to alleviate cap space and prevent Price from starting the season on LTIR?

For the Habs to be cap-compliant for their season-opening roster to allow them to use in-season LTIR dont they just need to send Pearson down?

DeSmith would not pass through waivers, he'd get picked up by somebody and lost for nothing.  Hughes traded him for a player that makes similar $ who can be waived and will not be taken. Plus, the Habs got the 3rd rnd pick they wanted for DeSmith and hopefully Pearson rebounds and they can get something for him at the trade deadline.

This trade actually makes accomplishing that objective harder.  Montreal can only clear up $1.15 million by waiving and demoting Pearson, the same amount they could have saved by doing that with DeSmith.  If Pearson is in Laval, he still counts on the cap to the tune of $2.1 million.

3 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

So, they can save $2.3M by papering Armia and Pearson, right? And they could paper RHP instead of Ylonen, which would save an additional $325K.

Assuming they're fine with the 'risk' of waiving those two, it's doable that way. 

3 hours ago, GHT120 said:

Full-out bromance

I think we would all agree that Gallagher's contract is an albatross right now.  I can understand a GM having a love for Gallagher back then. He had back to back 30 goal seasons, was an absolute warrior, a team 1st guy, always gave 100 per cent on a contract paying him around 3M/year.  Any GM would have been happy to have him. I don't blame Bergevin for the dollar value but a GM has take to the emotion out of a decision (not always easy) and realize that Gallagher's style of play is a whole lot harder for a guy who is on the other side of 30. I totally get Bergevin's love for Gallagher but 6 years was simply too long for a guy who plays like Gallagher. Would love to see Gallagher rebound, stay healthy and score 20 this year but maybe that is wishful thinking. 

58 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

I think we would all agree that Gallagher's contract is an albatross right now.  I can understand a GM having a love for Gallagher back then. He had back to back 30 goal seasons, was an absolute warrior, a team 1st guy, always gave 100 per cent on a contract paying him around 3M/year.  Any GM would have been happy to have him. I don't blame Bergevin for the dollar value but a GM has take to the emotion out of a decision (not always easy) and realize that Gallagher's style of play is a whole lot harder for a guy who is on the other side of 30. I totally get Bergevin's love for Gallagher but 6 years was simply too long for a guy who plays like Gallagher. Would love to see Gallagher rebound, stay healthy and score 20 this year but maybe that is wishful thinking. 

What happened to the if you want loyalty get a dog attitude? I think Markov deserved a two year deal a hell a lot more than Gallagher deserved a 6 year deal as an aging small winger.

1 hour ago, hab29RETIRED said:

What happened to the if you want loyalty get a dog attitude? I think Markov deserved a two year deal a hell a lot more than Gallagher deserved a 6 year deal as an aging small winger.

That was a stupid remark by Bergevin when asked whether he expected loyalty from Radulov which is a whole other topic. He was loyal to Gallagher but I think we all agree that 6 years was too much. I think we had discussed the Markov situation to death so I won't touch that one. 

I was glad to see the ***IDEA*** of trying Pearson with CC and Suzuki yesterday ... for many years the NHL top lines seem to have become a league of duos with a complementary player to round out the line ... CC and Suzuki are a proven duo ... if healthy, Pearson brings an intriguing mix of toughness and physicality ... he is obviously mot nearly on their level, but it fdoesn't mean he can't be the complementary player they need ... it would also leave Monahan to "mentor" Dach and Newhook(?) on the second line ... if after a few games it becomes obvious it doesn't work then they know that Monahan and Dach have had success in that role last season ... exhibition season seems the perfect time to test drive the idea.