2023-24 NHL discussion thread

tomh009

32 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

but I do expect that they are at least evaluating the buyout option.

Agreed

1 hour ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

I didn’t know that there is a chance the buyout 1/3 option could be missed. 

It’s possible that a decision gets made for them. 

I wouldn’t doubt if the Kings are looking at a buyout but I doubt it happens. 

It won't.  Its a 1/3rd buyout if done in June.   Ages are all based on July 1st, 2023.  This has come up with what is or isn't a 35+ contract.  Everyone is the age they are on July 1st (the first day of the league year, so from July 1st 2023 to June 30th 2024, everyone is treated for CBA purposes as the age they are on July 1st, 2023).  Everyone will go up one year on July 1st 2024.

The issue is its a 2/3rd buyout if done in the second buyout window (which will open if the Kings have any of their RFAs file for arbitration). 

Cap Friendly made available a list per division on dead money coming off the books next season (buyouts, retained salary, career ending LTIR) . Some notables:

Utah Total = $13.542

TBL Total = $8.531M

OTT  Total = $6.645M

TOR Total = $5.625M

NJD Total = $5.575M

CGY Total = $4.725M

ANA Total = $4.7125M

WSH Total = $3.725M

CHI Total = $3.288M

DET Total = $2.625M

MTL Total = $2,583M (Retained J Edmundson $1.75M Buyout K Alzner $833,333)

Another HC spot open

Dos that mean Shanahan/Treliving get ONE more year to get it right ... or do they just have to face the music before getting fired Saturday/Sunday/Monday/etc. morning?

37 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

Dos that mean Shanahan/Treliving get ONE more year to get it right ... or do they just have to face the music before getting fired Saturday/Sunday/Monday/etc. morning?

I read that as they are staying but how epic it would be if he fired them all during the press conference 

2 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

I read that as they are staying but how epic it would be if he fired them all during the press conference 

That would be very Donald Trump like wouldn't it. The Leafs are so close, you can't let them go now!!  They just need a little tweak here and there. They just need 1 more year. 

2 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

Final 20 names for Utah up for fan vote:

IMG_0408.jpeg

IMG_0407.jpeg

Love that only 5 end in "s" ... kind of like Frost and Hive.

For teams names, I usually try to spin it in French and go  Les/Le _____ de l'Utah.

Some names don't fit that well in French, some are the same word, but with a different spelling, which is also weird.

Those I like

Yeti, Blast, Blizzard

18 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

It should be “Outlaws” but it won’t.

Please not Utah HC.

I don’t get “Yeti”…I thought that was a Himalayan reference?

Because Abominable Snowmen is too long, Sasquatch leads to 'Quatchs as a nickname and Bigfoots isn't sexy.

10 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

Because Abominable Snowmen is too long, Sasquatch leads to 'Quatchs as a nickname and Bigfoots isn't sexy.

Well, unless locals standardly refer to the big lug as “Yeti,” it’s an excruciatingly stupid choice - and therefore will likely be the winning moniker.

Just now, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Well, unless locals standardly refer to the big lug as “Yeti,” it’s an excruciatingly stupid choice - and therefore will likely be the winning moniker.

LOL

Where is the Utah Mormons option?

Anyway, Utah Squall is good, although admittedly weaker than the Avalanche!

image.jpeg

$64,000 Question is whether Shanahan and/or Treliving get the same treatment ... face the music then get canned a couple of days later.

22 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

image.jpeg

$64,000 Question is whether Shanahan and/or Treliving get the same treatment ... face the music then get canned a couple of days later.

I think Keefe was a poor coach so this isn’t surprising. 

Is Brind’amour the next coach? Or is Carolina going to pay the man?

Shanahan, the sands of time for you are running low…

23 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

I think Keefe was a poor coach so this isn’t surprising. 

Shanahan, the sands of time for you are running low…

I-M-O Brind'amour is too smart to get involved in TO ... I expect he will head to Seattle and get PAID by Ron Francis.

I’ve stumbled across unconfirmed rumours that Shanahan could be next and it may be a whole management purge.  Sounds a bit far fetched for a whole management purge, but it’s hard to say with Toronto.

1 hour ago, TurdBurglar said:

I’ve stumbled across unconfirmed rumours that Shanahan could be next and it may be a whole management purge.  Sounds a bit far fetched for a whole management purge, but it’s hard to say with Toronto.

I'm surprised Shanahan isn't already gone. 

That said I think he stays now, cause it would be really rare to fire the coach today and then fire upper management later. Usually it would all happen at once, or upper management would go first.  Its rare the firings start at the bottom and move up. 

2 hours ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

Nope, the Leafs will have a coach in place likely before Carolina is done.  Does Berube want the job?