2023-24 Montreal Canadiens Discussion Thread

GHT120

15 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

I think he will probably find a spot on another team where he is a better fit for their needs. But that's just a guess, we'll know more in six months.

My bet is that he is on an AHL team somewhere, or goes home/overseas ... but you are correct that only time will tell.

2 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

My bet is that he is on an AHL team somewhere, or goes home/overseas ... but you are correct that only time will tell.

Let's plan to check at the end of September and find out who is right! 😊

6 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

Let's plan to check at the end of September and find out who is right! 😊

2024/25 season starts on October 10th, so a few more days past the end of September ... but see you then.

Have a great day.

• Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, DON said:

Goofy, but so what!

So, what’s behind this exercise in weirdness? Xhekaj laughed when asked.

“I honestly don’t even know where it started,” he said. “We always stretch together at the red line, one time I smacked him on the butt, and another time he just fell, then I guess we just kept it going into that, and then it turned into a baseball swing. I don’t know, it just kind of developed. Each time, it’s something different. It’s pretty funny.”

read the full story in The Athletic:

https://theathletic.com/5331864/2024/03/11/canadiens-jake-allen-montembeault-primeau/?source=emp_shared_article

• Like 1

11 hours ago, tomh009 said:

It appears to be something to do with one of his sons.

https://x.com/chrishabs360/status/1769155764336140516?s=46&t=ESs3zK2MNyBSu2nBtNGZSQ

Oh, no. That would be terrible. Any parent knows that there can be no greater nightmare than something bad happening to your child. All the best to MSL and his family. 

5 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Oh, no. That would be terrible. Any parent knows that there can be no greater nightmare than something bad happening to your child. All the best to MSL and his family. 

Agreed, we hope and pray for a good outcome. 

Canadiens Nick Suzuki leads the Eastern Conference with 12 even-strength goals since the All-Star break

I'm curious at what point Suzuki tops out? Is he a 90 point centre? A 100 point centre? 

The kid improves continuously and damn I can’t wait to see what a full season of Suzuki, Slafkovsky, Caufield can do. A bonus would be having a dangerous second line to draw some coverage. 

Habs are young and players are improving and there are very good young players that will be added over the next three years as well. 

Exciting times are upon us 🎉

A healthy Dach and this team is a wildcard next season. Adding another top 6 winger would be a bonus. 

1 hour ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

Canadiens Nick Suzuki leads the Eastern Conference with 12 even-strength goals since the All-Star break

I'm curious at what point Suzuki tops out? Is he a 90 point centre? A 100 point centre? 

The kid improves continuously and damn I can’t wait to see what a full season of Suzuki, Slafkovsky, Caufield can do. A bonus would be having a dangerous second line to draw some coverage. 

Habs are young and players are improving and there are very good young players that will be added over the next three years as well. 

Exciting times are upon us 🎉

A healthy Dach and this team is a wildcard next season. Adding another top 6 winger would be a bonus. 

I was hoping Roy to continue to show if he can be a viable 2nd line option with Dach. But looks like he is gone as for the year as well😳

46 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

I was hoping Roy to continue to show if he can be a viable 2nd line option with Dach. But looks like he is gone as for the year as well😳

i think Roy will eventually be a 2nd line player.  However, considering that we have little depth on the third line, and that he will be a rookie still, and only in his second year of pro hockey, I think starting him on the third line is a better idea. 

I still think we need to go out and get another elite gamebreaker for the 2nd line this summer. 

Also I think that Gallagher and Anderson together on the third line just doesn't work.  Neither of them pass the puck enough. 

Caufield - Suzuki - Slafkovsky

_________ - Dach - Newhook

Roy - Dvorak - Anderson  

Armia - Evans - Gallagher

Extras: RHP and Pezzetta

Would be ideal for lines 2-4 next year.

Now Dvorak is a placeholder to allow Beck to stay one more year in the minors. or if you can trade Dvorak and get someone else great, but right now I don't think you are going to be able to trade him, so that's likely his spot.  Same with Anderson/Gallagher.  They aren't going to be traded so you have to find them slots. 

10 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Roy - Dvorak - Anderson  

Oof ... that's a definite downgrade for Roy. And Armia, too, although he might be able to work with Evans (whom he plays with on PK anyway) and Gallagher.

But with Gallagher and Anderson on the roster, "ideal" may not be possible anyway.

6 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

Oof ... that's a definite downgrade for Roy. And Armia, too, although he might be able to work with Evans (whom he plays with on PK anyway) and Gallagher.

But with Gallagher and Anderson on the roster, "ideal" may not be possible anyway.

Anderson and Dvorak cannot play together. They tend to go to the same spots on the ice and run into each other; and none of them were able to adjust their game despite all the effort from the coaching staff.

I much rather see Anderson with Dach and Newhook unless Roy wins that spot squarely next season.

38 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

Anderson and Dvorak cannot play together. They tend to go to the same spots on the ice and run into each other; and none of them were able to adjust their game despite all the effort from the coaching staff.

I much rather see Anderson with Dach and Newhook unless Roy wins that spot squarely next season.

Please do not curse Dach with Anderson. 

I'd rather have Pezzetta 

36 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

So Dach and Newhook play a two-man game and Anderson plays "his game"??????   Why do you dislike them so?

2 hours ago, Commandant said:

i think Roy will eventually be a 2nd line player.  However, considering that we have little depth on the third line, and that he will be a rookie still, and only in his second year of pro hockey, I think starting him on the third line is a better idea. 

I still think we need to go out and get another elite gamebreaker for the 2nd line this summer. 

Also I think that Gallagher and Anderson together on the third line just doesn't work.  Neither of them pass the puck enough. 

Roy - Dvorak - Anderson  

Extras: RHP and Pezzetta

Now Dvorak is a placeholder to allow Beck to stay one more year in the minors. or if you can trade Dvorak and get someone else great, but right now I don't think you are going to be able to trade him, so that's likely his spot.  Same with Anderson/Gallagher.  They aren't going to be traded so you have to find them slots. 

I’d rather waste Anderson Gallagher with Dvorak and have Roy and Armia with Evans.

We can calm the A-D-G the Bergevin cap anchor line!

1 hour ago, alfredoh2009 said:

Anderson cannot play with anyone. I pretty sure the scouting report from his kindergarten report card said “does not play well with others”.  I think we create a Bergevin cap hell or cap anchor line with Anderson-Dvorak-Gallagher, rather than kill any offensive potential that Evans may have - because he is a guy who works hard and does actually create offense.

1 hour ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

Please do not curse Dach with Anderson. 

I'd rather have Pezzetta 

100% agree. On Anderson. A solid no to Pezatta. Let Pezatta be the extra guy that replaces one of the three Bergevin anchors.

well, I am still hoping Roy wins that spot. Anderson is signed until 2027. Dach and Newhook play a fast aggressive game, from all the other options on wing, Anderson is there by default unless Roy is fully healed and wins that spot.

Dvorak and Armia are both UFAs after next season. I would play them together on the 3rd line and rotate a winger there. Anyone, whoever best helps them get points or be scored on less. That's the money line from which at least two will be traded at the deadline.

Evans can center the remainders and be an awesome 4th liner.

13 hours ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Anderson cannot play with anyone. I pretty sure the scouting report from his kindergarten report card said “does not play well with others”.  I think we create a Bergevin cap hell or cap anchor line with Anderson-Dvorak-Gallagher, rather than kill any offensive potential that Evans may have - because he is a guy who works hard and does actually create offense.

“Evans - a guy who creates offense”

surely you jest.

He scores once every three months and chips in a second assist once every two months.  
Sick of people acting like this guy has more to offer, we’ve seen him enough to know he is what he is.

And he definitely is not an offer I’ve created, jebus that is just making stuff up to pile onto other players, what a complete load of BS

Evan's strength is in his hockey IQ/anticipation (his stick got in the way of many Oiler passes), his faceoff skills and work ethic. He did score 13 goals a couple years ago which probably had many of us thinking that his offensive game would have more to it than he has shown the last couple years but he hasn't been blessed with great linemates either. 

His +/- is usually among the best on the team (some think that stat is useless, I think there is some merit to it). I think at this point in his career he is what he is, a very responsible 4th line center who you like to have out there when you are protecting a lead late in the game. He will never hurt you.