Game 1 - Montréal vs. Toronto ... 7 p.m. - 2023-10-11

GHT120

Slafkovsky looks completely different in every way. His work on the first Newhook goal was perfect from start to finish. 

Dach line looked frigging great 

Gallagher and Pearson are not going to score at all this season are they?

Savard is a decent player that isn’t great at anything. His style of game doesn’t belong here anymore. 

Guhle takes a beating out there

Still don’t like Anderson on the Suzuki line. 

1 minute ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

Slafkovsky looks completely different in every way. His work on the first Newhook goal was perfect from start to finish. 

Savard is a decent player that isn’t great at anything. His style of game doesn’t belong here anymore. 

Agree on both points in particular. Guhle worries me. I wonder if we should move Anderson to the third line - maybe he could inject some life into that corpse. 

Mark my words. Gallagher is done. 

I know it’s one game but good grief has he aged. 

This game left me with a pit in my stomach. Cannot for the life of me understand the need to go into a full shell at 6 vs 5. 

Apply some damn pressure already!

Slaf passed the eye test tonight. Hopefully he can build on that. 

very impressed with Arber once again. 

God I hate losing to the leafs. 

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, Helmethead said:

Mark my words. Gallagher is done. 

I know it’s one game but good grief has he aged. 

This game left me with a pit in my stomach. Cannot for the life of me understand the need to go into a full shell at 6 vs 5. 

Apply some damn pressure already!

Slaf passed the eye test tonight. Hopefully he can build on that. 

very impressed with Arber once again. 

God I hate losing to the leafs. 

Agree with all your points, sucks losing to the Leafs.  However there are a lot of positives.  I love having Xhekaj on the team, didn't hesitate for a second going after Reaves, love it.  Slaf looked great, Newhook looking good, Caulfield is Caulfield. We could have a really good second line which we really lacked last year.  Gallagher looks so slow compared to the rest of the team. I love the guy but heart can only take you so far. 

49 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

I agree with Anderson on the Suzuki line.  Dach worked so well on that line because he knew their best chance was to get the puck on the stick of Suzuki or Caufield.  Anderson is a good player.  He works hard on the forecheck and digs pucks out.  His problem is he's a shooter, always wants to shoot and on that line he has the 3rd best shot.  I think Slaf would be better on that line in the long run, and Anderson on the Dach/Newhook line as their shooter.  Slaf just isn't ready for that right now, he has to establish himself first.

1 hour ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Agree on both points in particular. Guhle worries me. I wonder if we should move Anderson to the third line - maybe he could inject some life into that corpse. 

I was thinking that Guhle needs a guy like Mailloux on his side. Mailloux will generate considerable attention because of the type of player he is and hopefully take some heat of Guhle. 

Teams clearly target Guhle, it was no different last year 

32 minutes ago, TurdBurglar said:

I agree with Anderson on the Suzuki line.  Dach worked so well on that line because he knew their best chance was to get the puck on the stick of Suzuki or Caufield.  Anderson is a good player.  He works hard on the forecheck and digs pucks out.  His problem is he's a shooter, always wants to shoot and on that line he has the 3rd best shot.  I think Slaf would be better on that line in the long run, and Anderson on the Dach/Newhook line as their shooter.  Slaf just isn't ready for that right now, he has to establish himself first.

Slafkovsky on top line and Monahan with Dach, Newhook when Dvorak gets back. 

15 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

Slafkovsky on top line and Monahan with Dach, Newhook when Dvorak gets back. 

I’d we keep playing Monohan with Gallagher and Pearson we are going to completely deflate his value for the deadline.

I wouldn’t touch the Dach line right now. I’d move Monohan and also try RHPon the top line. Pearson and Gallagher are just taking up room in the lineup. Move glagydke and sit Pearson. Or alternate sitting them.

8 hours ago, TurdBurglar said:

Another soft one by Allen.  This game shouldn't be as close as it is.

That is the modus operandi for Allen; allow soft goals and make a few good saves. If the Habs dont rotate Montambeault every other game this season, and instead give Allen most of the starts, this team wont have a .500 record.

8 hours ago, hab29RETIRED said:

I’d we keep playing Monohan with Gallagher and Pearson we are going to completely deflate his value for the deadline.

I wouldn’t touch the Dach line right now. I’d move Monohan and also try RHPon the top line. Pearson and Gallagher are just taking up room in the lineup. Move glagydke and sit Pearson. Or alternate sitting them.

Assuming glagdyke is Gallagher, if Hughes were able to move him it would win him GM of the Year on the spot ... Pearson would be easier, but not easy, to move.

hearing to TSN 690 this morning and reading some of the posts here, I'll chime in on Anderson.

I would put him on the second line (Newhook-Dach-Anderson) and I have Monahan on the Suzuki line but with Dvorak hurt that is not an option.

I don't want to rush the Dach line to tougher match-ups against the other team's top line, so playing Caufield-Suzuki with RHP or Pearson until Dvorak is back may be an option; but I'll trust the coaching staff on their current lines. They looked good yesterday.

THe Habs LD depth looks great with Matheson, Guhle and Xhekaj. If they stay healthy all season, they will become a position of strength for the Habs. I am so happy about those three

Yes, Guhle stepped right up for another big hit in game #1; does he lack the awareness to keep his head up or to prepare for hits?:thumbs_down:

The Newf gets 2 in his 1st game and rest of that line looked good also.:clap:

5 goals, 3 in 3rd period i liked that.

21:47 for Suzuki, 1a 65% on FO, nice start to season.

Poor Oilers must need a goalie?

21 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

And I thought I was the only that posted Captain Obvious statements. LOL

Only in response to Captain IMPOSSIBLE statements.

31 minutes ago, DON said:

Yes, Guhle stepped right up for another big hit in game #1; does he lack the awareness to keep his head up or to prepare for hits?:thumbs_down:

The Newf gets 2 in his 1st game and rest of that line looked good also.:clap:

5 goals, 3 in 3rd period i liked that.

21:47 for Suzuki, 1a 65% on FO, nice start to season.

Poor Oilers must need a goalie?

I think that Montembeault is the only Habs' goalie they might want ... Allen's AAV is just too high and Primeau is too unproven ... Oilers have just under $400K of cap space.

12 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

I think that Montembeault is the only Habs' goalie they might want ... Allen's AAV is just too high and Primeau is too unproven ... Oilers have just under $400K of cap space.

It's only 1 game, way too early for even the Oilers to panic BUT the Oilers window is closing. There is a lot of pressure to win.  

With Guy Boucher setting special plays for the Leafs, they will surely have a better chance to make it past the first.

whenI saw him with the whiteboard, I knew the Habs would be in trouble to close the game out.

That being said, I loved how well the Habs competed and how they were hard to beat. Definitely not a bottom feeder anymore 

1 hour ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

It's only 1 game, way too early for even the Oilers to panic BUT the Oilers window is closing. There is a lot of pressure to win.  

Absolutely crucial win in terms of buying the Canucks credibility in their market. That franchise is on the edge and could lose Petterson if they have yet another meltdown...this will turn down the temperature for a while and allow them some breathing room.

21 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

With Guy Boucher setting special plays for the Leafs, they will surely have a better chance to make it past the first.

... and they were working specifically on 4-on-3 and 6-on-5 scenarios at their training camp, and it paid off for them last night. The Habs are not at that stage yet, they need to get 5-on-4 working first. The Habs' 5-on-4 PP did show signs of life last night, with Caufield finding the net twice, even if one of those was called back on an offside.

2 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

hearing to TSN 690 this morning and reading some of the posts here, I'll chime in on Anderson.

I would put him on the second line (Newhook-Dach-Anderson) and I have Monahan on the Suzuki line but with Dvorak hurt that is not an option.

I don't want to rush the Dach line to tougher match-ups against the other team's top line, so playing Caufield-Suzuki with RHP or Pearson until Dvorak is back may be an option; but I'll trust the coaching staff on their current lines. They looked good yesterday.

THe Habs LD depth looks great with Matheson, Guhle and Xhekaj. If they stay healthy all season, they will become a position of strength for the Habs. I am so happy about those three

Why would you pull Slafkovsky out of the top 6 after having his best game as a Hab.

Can we leave these lines for more than 1 game before doing the Therrien blender?

13 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Why would you pull Slafkovsky out of the top 6 after having his best game as a Hab.

Certainly one of the biggest positives last night was the play of Slafkovsky.   I think St. Louis realizes that building confidence in the 19 year old is critical and the best way of doing that is to give him consistent linemates that have some talent.  I don't think he is going to mess with that line for a while. Playing with a couple big guys should also open things up for Newhook. 

20 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Can we leave these lines for more than 1 game before doing the Therrien blender?

Boy, I couldn't agree more. Three players that are key to the Habs's future - Slaf, Dach, and Newhook - had great games and showed exciting chemistry. LEAVE THEM ALONE.

CC and Suzuki should be able to "carry" a third linemate without needing support from one of those three.

• Like 1