Game 3 - Montréal vs Minnesota - October 17th, 2023 - 7:00 EST

bar

5 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

Interesting thought that Suzuki, Caufield should be split up and I would be up for it. 

Other than the first period I thought Kovacevic had a decent game. 

I’m not sure how dedicated I’m going to be in watching this year if this is what we are in for! 

11 hours ago, dlbalr said:

On the bright side, Kovacevic was noticeable in the offensive zone.  He picked some good times to jump up which led to some good scoring chances at least.  He has impressed to start the season.

Was that a concerted effort by coachs to give him free reign to pinch and rush?

Again he was very noticeable and like Xhekaj can skate pretty well for a big guy.

I liked it.

My first complaint about MSL. Our lines were running well together. Why change all 4 for one injury. Keep the lines the same, call up Roy to fill in on second line on wing, Newhook takes center. Other lines keep chemistry intact. What a mess last night.

1 hour ago, johnnyhasbeen said:

My first complaint about MSL. Our lines were running well together. Why change all 4 for one injury. Keep the lines the same, call up Roy to fill in on second line on wing, Newhook takes center. Other lines keep chemistry intact. What a mess last night.

It’s early in the season.  With the line shuffling he’s trying to catch lightening in a bottle, like the Caufield - Suzuki - Dach line last year.  I also believe it’s because Anderson didn’t really look like he belonged with Caufield and Suzuki.

Someone else pointed out Anderson doesn’t really fit in on any line, and I tend to agree.  He’s a good player, but he’s too selfish for his skill level.  He quite often recovers puck and just throws them back at the net instead of using his teammates.  I’m sure I’ll get shredded for this opinion of Anderson.

6 minutes ago, TurdBurglar said:

It’s early in the season.  With the line shuffling he’s trying to catch lightening in a bottle, like the Caufield - Suzuki - Dach line last year.  I also believe it’s because Anderson didn’t really look like he belonged with Caufield and Suzuki.

Someone else pointed out Anderson doesn’t really fit in on any line, and I tend to agree.  He’s a good player, but he’s too selfish for his skill level.  He quite often recovers puck and just throws them back at the net instead of using his teammates.  I’m sure I’ll get shredded for this opinion of Anderson.

not by me. I think Monahan fits better with that line, a left center to help Suzuki on draws, and a smart passer that has the size to win puck battles but also the skill and vision to mesh well with Caufield and Suzuki, the Cau-Zu-Han line !

Once (and if) Slafkovsky matures, he should be perfect for that line.

The injuries are messing the line combinations. Monahan should be 2C and Evans is perfect as a 4C.

but, to your point, Anderson is not a top-line winger. Toffoli was, and Dach was for a while. Too bad Heineman is hurt

5 hours ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

Interesting thought that Suzuki, Caufield should be split up and I would be up for it. 

Other than the first period I thought Kovacevic had a decent game. 

I’m not sure how dedicated I’m going to be in watching this year if this is what we are in for! 

I recorded it but watched the first half live, and the second half later. Kovacevic and Xhekaj were pushing the pace in the second half. Harris was not noticeable, seems to me he tends to disappear when the game is physical; although he made some Markov-like breakout passes.

I am probably do the same as you and follow the team casually. Since I started doing that last season, my blood pressure has improved.

22 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I appreciate your looking at the bright side, but TBH Kovacevic is 26…I have trouble seeing him as a major piece of the rebuild. He’s not the guy I want to see blossoming and excelling out there 😔

A major part of the rebuild, probably not, but if he keeps improving and shows that he might be worthy of keeping around beyond his contract (which ends next season), he could give the Habs some more options, at least and a hedge against one of their prospects not panning out.  And if he's not in the plans, a right-shot defenceman that's playing well with a cap hit below the league minimum (which he is) is valuable on the trade market.

11 hours ago, johnnyhasbeen said:

Roy's three games into his professional career (with one of them coming two years ago).  The fact he was sent down with the initial batch of cuts tells me that management wants him to get some extended reps down there.  They wouldn't want to mess with that this early.  When they call someone up (and with it being a season-ender, it's probably a when, not if), it'll be someone like Lias Andersson who can play C or the wing and move in and out of the lineup when needed until Dvorak comes back.  Knowing it's likely to be a short-term recall, why mess with a youngster?

Edit: Or Armia.  Unless they want someone that can play C, Armia is the likely recall.

I appreciated the recap's mentioning that the Newhook line did well. That's not something I was too clear on, as the postgame commentary I head (from TSN radio) tended to praise Penzetta, Ylonen, Evans, and other players that I regard as tangential to the future of the Montreal Canadiens. Which was really depressing.

Newhook and Slaf are not tangential. They are pieces that must flourish and come to excel if this generation of Habs is ever going to contend. That's one reason why the Dach injury is so profoundly demoralizing...he was part of that vital Kid Line that allowed us to have hope that we are on the right track. To me, it is REALLY important that Slaf and Newhook progress this season and start making their mark. So, thanks to 10 Thoughts for offering some small glimmer of hope from the wreckage of that debacle. 

16 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I appreciate your looking at the bright side, but TBH Kovacevic is 26…I have trouble seeing him as a major piece of the rebuild. He’s not the guy I want to see blossoming and excelling out there 😔

Fortunately I only listened to this one on the radio…it sounded as listless and hopeless as a game from the second half of last season 

Last season, Kovacevic-Harris had the best analytics on the team

It was early, and now Guhle is hurt, but Kovacevic-Guhle had absolutely ridiculous analytics over the first two games.  playing (mostly) against the Leafs and Hawks second lines, the Habs had over 80% of the scoring chances when they were on the ice.  Sure that 80% is unsustainable over a full season, but it shows how well he was playing. 

Habs are weak on the right side, Kovacevic is clearly doing something right, and everywhere he plays, the partner's numbers go up dramatically.  I think he might be a bit better version of Kulak, and I liked Kulak a lot, as everyone probably knows. 

I don't think he will be a franchise player, but as a support piece, he has a role here. 

If we figure the Habs are competing in what, 2 years? He'd be 28 at that point...... I think he'd be good from now til about 32/33 etc... at which point you cut bait, but no reason he can't be the RHD on the 2nd/3rd pair for a while.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I appreciated the recap's mentioning that the Newhook line did well. That's not something I was too clear on, as the postgame commentary I head (from TSN radio) tended to praise Penzetta, Ylonen, Evans, and other players that I regard as tangential to the future of the Montreal Canadiens. Which was really depressing.

Newhook and Slaf are not tangential. They are pieces that must flourish and come to excel if this generation of Habs is ever going to contend. That's one reason why the Dach injury is so profoundly demoralizing...he was part of that vital Kid Line that allowed us to have hope that we are on the right track. To me, it is REALLY important that Slaf and Newhook progress this season and start making their mark. So, thanks to 10 Thoughts for offering some small glimmer of hope from the wreckage of that debacle. 

I would agree (although admittedly I had to look up what tangential meant, must have skipped too many classes at university to go drinking).  Hopefully Newhook and Slaf can continue to progress without Dach. 

The acquisition of Tanner Pearson is looking better all the time. You would never know it if his hand is still bothering him as that was a bit of a question mark. Nothing wrong with his wrist shot. 

3 hours ago, TurdBurglar said:

I've decided my best description of Anderson is that the whole does not equal the sum of the parts.

2 hours ago, dlbalr said:

Roy's three games into his professional career (with one of them coming two years ago).  The fact he was sent down with the initial batch of cuts tells me that management wants him to get some extended reps down there.  They wouldn't want to mess with that this early.  When they call someone up (and with it being a season-ender, it's probably a when, not if), it'll be someone like Lias Andersson who can play C or the wing and move in and out of the lineup when needed until Dvorak comes back.  Knowing it's likely to be a short-term recall, why mess with a youngster?

Totally agree ... neither should Mailloux, Norlinder, Struble or Trudeau be called up while Guhle is out ... let the kids develop, don't rush them out of need or curiousity.

4 hours ago, TurdBurglar said:

I'm not sure it selfishness, although it could be. But, what he knows how to do is to drive to the net and try to score, so that is what he does, too. He does that fairly well, but that doesn't help his linemates very much. I think St-Louis has been trying to work on Anderson's hockey IQ, but I don't know that we have seen a big change, at least not yet. Maybe if he had stayed on the top line longer, we might have been able to judge better.

As some of you may remember, I'm a big defender of Anderson for his play along the boards and away from the puck, as well as for his crazy ability to drive the net. He carves up the opposition on the regular and makes us tougher to play against. That overall package is enough to make me hesitant to say he has no "hockey IQ" per se, but I'll be the first to admit, he has ZERO playmaking skill. Absolutely none. His inability to use his teammates and to see the play in the offensive zone is almost comically below NHL level. That's what you get with Anderson, lots of pluses and that one gigantic minus.

5 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

I think we are pretty much in agreement, even if we used different words! 😊

Well, I just wanted to add that he does a lot of great stuff beyond drive the net.

31 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

As some of you may remember, I'm a big defender of Anderson for his play along the boards and away from the puck, as well as for his crazy ability to drive the net. He carves up the opposition on the regular and makes us tougher to play against. That overall package is enough to make me hesitant to say he has no "hockey IQ" per se, but I'll be the first to admit, he has ZERO playmaking skill. Absolutely none. His inability to use his teammates and to see the play in the offensive zone is almost comically below NHL level. That's what you get with Anderson, lots of pluses and that one gigantic minus.

That basically the description of a 4th line player, except Anderson has way too much size, skill and speed to be on the 4th line. 

3 hours ago, GHT120 said:

Totally agree ... neither should Mailloux, Norlinder, Struble or Trudeau be called up while Guhle is out ... let the kids develop, don't rush them out of need or curiousity.

I wouldn't necessarily dislike Norlinder being brought up because he has that full year of experience in the minors already so it's a bit of a different situation.  That said, this feels like the spot for Lindstrom, someone that can be the 7th D and just slot in once in a while where needed.  Nothing official on Guhle yet but it does not appear as if it's a DTD injury.

• Upvote 1

Perhaps I had my rose colored glasses on, but I was pleased to see slafkovski skating and protecting the puck throughout the game. I feel like, even in this stinker, he looks better than last year. The egregious stick chop was terrible, and his other penalty wasn't great. Don't get me wrong. It was a garbage game and everyone but 26 sucked, but slaf looks better. 

7 hours ago, BCHabnut said:

Perhaps I had my rose colored glasses on, but I was pleased to see slafkovski skating and protecting the puck throughout the game. I feel like, even in this stinker, he looks better than last year. The egregious stick chop was terrible, and his other penalty wasn't great. Don't get me wrong. It was a garbage game and everyone but 26 sucked, but slaf looks better. 

Slaf looks better in every aspect of the game. 

That stick chop penalty in the Ozone was overt and ridiculously amateurish. I hope he had an angry coach in his face about it. 

It was kid street hockey level of stupidity 

19 hours ago, Commandant said:

Last season, Kovacevic-Harris had the best analytics on the team

It was early, and now Guhle is hurt, but Kovacevic-Guhle had absolutely ridiculous analytics over the first two games.  playing (mostly) against the Leafs and Hawks second lines, the Habs had over 80% of the scoring chances when they were on the ice.  Sure that 80% is unsustainable over a full season, but it shows how well he was playing. 

Habs are weak on the right side, Kovacevic is clearly doing something right, and everywhere he plays, the partner's numbers go up dramatically.  I think he might be a bit better version of Kulak, and I liked Kulak a lot, as everyone probably knows. 

I don't think he will be a franchise player, but as a support piece, he has a role here. 

If we figure the Habs are competing in what, 2 years? He'd be 28 at that point...... I think he'd be good from now til about 32/33 etc... at which point you cut bait, but no reason he can't be the RHD on the 2nd/3rd pair for a while.

Thanks for that analysis. I hadn’t realized his analytics were so strong. I’ve thought of him as a placeholder, nothing more…but maybe I need to re-assess.

11 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Thanks for that analysis. I hadn’t realized his analytics were so strong. I’ve thought of him as a placeholder, nothing more…but maybe I need to re-assess.

At times he seems limited 3rd pairing calibre, but pretty darn early in NHL career and as they say, d-men take longer to acclimitize.

And he only has 84 NHL games played, which is why seeing him trying to be more offensive i like and is still improving or developing NHL d-man, i think.

He also is #6 0 PIM's after 3 games and seems a pretty smart player.

Much prefer to see him playing over a Wideman and Savard also seems bit sketchy; but maybe has been asked to do too much, like with 24:40 in game 1?

1 minute ago, DON said:

At times he seems limited 3rd pairing calibre, but pretty darn early in NHL career and as they say, d-men take longer to acclimitize.

And he only has 84 NHL games played, which is why seeing him trying to be more offensive i like and is still improving or developing NHL d-man, i think.

He also is #6 0 PIM's after 3 games and seems a pretty smart player.

Much prefer to see him playing over a Wideman and Savard also seems bit sketchy; but maybe has been asked to do too much, like with 24:40 in game 1?

He’s huge, too. Big guys, especially D-men, can also take longer to put it all together. That’s fair enough.