Game 14 Bruins at Montreal Sat Nov 11 7pm

Prime Minister Koivu

Will Monahan finish the season as a Canadien?  

20 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think?

• Nope - traded at some point
    • Yes - signed to an extension
    • Yes - he is on LTIR
    • Yes - no extension

38 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

Harvey-Pinard is back in tonight with Armia being the healthy scratch so we'll see how much that affects the lines.

Also, Montembeault gets the start

Hey, at least the Habs have a better PP than the Bruins.

Canadiens vs. Bruins: Game preview and how to watch - EOTP (habseyesontheprize.com)

Canadiens Statistics Bruins
6-5-2 Record 11-1-1
48.2% (21st) Scoring-chances-for % 51.6% (13th)
2.92 (20th) Goals per game 3.31 (14th)
3.38 (21st) Goals against per game 1.92 (1st)
21.8% (13th) PP% 20.9% (14th)
75.4% (22nd) PK% 92.2% (2nd)
0-3-0 Head-to-Head Record (22-23) 3-0-0

image.png

Boston Bruins vs Montreal Canadiens Box Score - November 11, 2023 - The Athletic

Not sure what to think for this game, but it is Boston and the Habs often do better than expected against them.  Plus, even though the Habs had a ton of injuries last year and the Booins set a record for wins the Habs did come surprisingly close to beating them once.  Hence, even if the Habs lose I'm hoping to see good things from them and that they will be competitive with a close score vs a blow out.  

33 minutes ago, Sir_Boagalott said:

Not sure what to think for this game, but it is Boston and the Habs often do better than expected against them.  Plus, even though the Habs had a ton of injuries last year and the Booins set a record for wins the Habs did come surprisingly close to beating them once.  Hence, even if the Habs lose I'm hoping to see good things from them and that they will be competitive with a close score vs a blow out.  

If Montembault has a good game then we can hang with them. 

We need Matheson to be solid as well and if overtime comes then Caufield gonna score for sure. 

43 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

If Montembault has a good game then we can hang with them. 

We need Matheson to be solid as well and if overtime comes then Caufield gonna score for sure. 

Yep.  Unfortunately, Matheson's play has been a big problem this year.  I didn't realize while I watched the TB game but he was on the ice for all 4 of the Bolts goals and he majorly misplayed at least 2 of those which basically caused the goals.  Oddly, their 4th goal was likely offside too and there was no coaching challenge for w/e reason.

28 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

I so badly want Dvorak and Monahan switched. I bet it would transform the line. Then again Monahan is the best thing to happen to Gallagher in a long time. 

For a team in a rebuild, Gallagher and Pearson are not the players whose "development" should be prioritized.

2 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

For a team in a rebuild, Gallagher and Pearson are not the players whose "development" should be prioritized.

100% was going to respond with the same point. I’d like to see Monohan take Dach’s spot between Slafkovsky and Newhook.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, GHT120 said:

To my mind, the Pearson-Monahan-Gally line gives the team an important stabilizing line. That has indirect value for the rebuild, because it helps to teach the team how to win. I'd keep them together for sure. (And let's face it, it's not like the team has other high-ceiling young FWs to play in their stead anyway).

1 hour ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

Another good period even if the PP didn’t score. 

Anderson is seriously frustrating 

Anderson had a great, classic "Josh Anderson" game. I felt badly for him - he deserved to get one. But at least he gets a key A on the game winner.

17 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

What happened to Harris?

Tough fought game and Montembault made some big saves. 

Newhook looks good with Suzuki 

Because Caufield has become a real driver of play, able to set guys up too, it makes sense to separate them, at least now and then. Newhook didn't look out of place with Slick Nick, who I felt had a strong night.

Most of the Habs had strong nights, really. This was a hell of a hockey game, win or lose - a classic Montreal-Boston tilt. (Don't talk to me about Montreal-Toronto or, God help us, Montreal-Ottawa; THIS is the real , #1 historic rivalry in the sport). I loved that we out-muscled them and generally were the more physical club, without playing catch-up. The Habs played smart, structured hockey. MSL can probably refer them back to this contest as what they're trying to achieve night-in and night out.

Friedman suggesting Monty will be re-signed by the Habs, and rightly so.

Always good to beat those bastards. Especially that leering piece of human filth Marchand, LOL.

Annoyingly, I missed the majority of this game but I did see Bos 1st goal within the 1st 30 secs of the game.  That was rather unfortunate but turned out to not matter.  Luckily, my feed started to play right when OT began.

2 hours ago, dlbalr said:

Lots of zone time and puck control which are elements we don't see a whole lot from this team.

I find they tend to do decent with puck control dating back to last year.  MSL seems to have taught them when they're taking the puck up ice if there is no play pass it back.  That is a good strategy because it improves puck possession and proactively prevents turnovers.

1 hour ago, GHT120 said:
2 hours ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

I so badly want Dvorak and Monahan switched. I bet it would transform the line. Then again Monahan is the best thing to happen to Gallagher in a long time. 

I can understand both arguments but ultimately side with keeping Gally with Monahan and Pearson.  Gally's contract has been a boat anchor so its more important to see him be productive.  Plus, they're both ufa's and can potentially be resigned for good deals so I'd keep that line together and bring them back because they are defensively sound and could end getting 150+ pts.  Either way, they absolutely need veteran players to lead the youngsters and Monahan and Pearson are solid role guys.  If the Habs lose them the rebuild is guaranteed to continue because obviously they'd need to be replaced if they are not retained. 

Ironically, I predicted the Habs would have at least 6 guys with 50+ points and that included Dach who is out and Slaf who wont - but Gally and Pearson could hit 50 so my prediction might still be right.  

7 minutes ago, Sir_Boagalott said:

Annoyingly, I missed the majority of this game but I did see Bos 1st goal within the 1st 30 secs of the game.  That was rather unfortunate but turned out to not matter.  Luckily, my feed started to play right when OT began.

I find they tend to do decent with puck control dating back to last year.  MSL seems to have taught them when they're taking the puck up ice if there is no play pass it back.  That is a good strategy because it improves puck possession and proactively prevents turnovers.

I can understand both arguments but ultimately side with keeping Gally with Monahan and Pearson.  Gally's contract has been a boat anchor so its more important to see him be productive.  Plus, they're both ufa's and can potentially be resigned for good deals so I'd keep that line together and bring them back because they are defensively sound and could end getting 150+ pts.  Either way, they absolutely need veteran players to lead the youngsters and Monahan and Pearson are solid role guys.  If the Habs lose them the rebuild is guaranteed to continue because obviously they'd need to be replaced if they are not retained. 

Ironically, I predicted the Habs would have at least 6 guys with 50+ points and that included Dach who is out and Slaf who wont - but Gally and Pearson could hit 50 so my prediction might still be right.  

If Gallagher pots 50 points I’ll (gladly) eat my shorts. 

13 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Anderson had a great, classic "Josh Anderson" game. I felt badly for him - he deserved to get one. But at least he gets a key A on the game winner.

It looks like the goal was scored as unassisted, alas.

4 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

It looks like the goal was scored as unassisted, alas.

Sheesh, the guy can't buy a point! But if he plays like this every night, he'll be back on the scoresheet on the regular.

13 minutes ago, Helmethead said:

If Gallagher pots 50 points I’ll (gladly) eat my shorts. 

You'd better hope they don't make the playoffs in their final game so you crap your pants and then Gally hits 50 pts right before you gladly eat your shorts.  That would be bad but it might increase your viewers if you're planning on doing a livestream.  

Gally and Pearson are currently on pace for 43-44 pts, but they'd have to keep it up and play in all 82 games.  For Gally, both those things are unlikely but he has hit 50+ numerous times, and Pearson's career highs are 45 pts and 44.  However, of their 13 games played how many games have they been on a line with Monahan?  It is undeniable their output has vastly increased playing with him.  A projection specifically based on their output in their games with Monahan would be a higher number than 43-44.  

Most of us consider Pearson, Monahan and Gally to be their 3rd line when it could almost be argued that they are the Habs top line.  ex:  Cole, Nick, and Anderson only have 1 more point than them.  It can definitely be argued they are the Habs 2nd best line because they certainly have more points.