2024 NHL Entry Draft

23 hours ago, hab29RETIRED said:

I Still say and will until my dying day, that I would have gone for Kopitar. We had two big franchise centres available to us - Getzlaf (that one hurts a LOT more), and passed on them. 

Price was no doubt a top 3 of his generation goalie, and I loved how he played and his general Cool Hand Luke demeanour. I just will never be on board with picking a goalie with a top 5, or even a top 10 pick. You can get a Franchise goalie with a latter round pick, but it is pretty rare with a centre. 

Damn Kreider blow our most legit chance at a cup (yeah, we went to the finals in the Canadian division season), but during Price’s MVP year we had a better team in front of him. It’s why I’d rather see the Dundon and the Canes move on, rather than Kreider.

Thing is if we didnt draft Price Im sure we pick Brule or Skille...

The Habs need a draft like Anaheim did in 2003,  Getzlaff at 19 and  Perry at 28, a stud 1st line from the 2nd half of the first round (711 goals, 123 assists and 1924 points between them).  The Habs draft at 5 and likely 26 or 27 so it should be no problem or is that wishful thinking?  

How often do you get an absolute stud #1 center at 19?  I recognize the 2003 draft was one of the better drafts. Most teams got a good player. We got Kostitsyn. 

Old drafts... lets talks about 1980!!! lets move on.:nuts:

I just hope they find an offensive producer at 5; be it Demidov-Catton-Lindstrom-Eiserman-Iginla.

And i think packaging Jet-pick&a young-d for a more near-ready NHLer forward, is a good idea.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, DON said:

I just hope they find an offensive producer at 5; be it Demidov-Catton-Lindstrom-Eiserman-Iginla.

And i think packaging Jet-pick&a young-d for a more near-ready NHLer forward, is a good idea.

At the moment I want Yzer...  No thats old draft.

I mean I like Eiserman. Im ok if we get a Brett Hull.

7 hours ago, DON said:

1980s... I miss Naslund

6 hours ago, Dalhabs said:

I mean I like Eiserman. Im ok if we get a Brett Hull.

Or is he another Mike Hoffman?
THAT is what teams have to assess.

The simple ability to score goals is not the be-all and end-all.

20 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

Being able to score goals is great but you have to bring more than that. Caufield has learned to be more responsible defensively. Eiserman is still very young and may come around in other areas. Having said that, if it's a choice between Eiserman and Iginla, I much prefer Iginla. 

23 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

* cough * * cough *  (caufield) * cough * * cough * :nuts:

23 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

* cough * * cough *  (caufield) * cough * * cough * :nuts:

The guy who much improved both his playmaking and defensive game this season. 

Amazing how Caufield responds to a real coach. 

19 minutes ago, Commandant said:

The guy who much improved both his playmaking and defensive game this season. 

Amazing how Caufield responds to a real coach. 

I think Caufield's playmaking skills have always been vastly underrated and under appreciated. I think he is one of the best passers on the team. He only had 1 less assist than the incredible Auston Matthews. 

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

I think Caufield's playmaking skills have always been vastly underrated and under appreciated. I think he is one of the best passers on the team. He only had 1 less assist than the incredible Auston Matthews. 

Yes, that is what I am saying

I thought that pre-draft Caufield was only known as a scorer. I also thought we were talking about potential Habs picks that are only known for their scoring. Caufield is proof that teenagers that are known scorers may turn out to be as Caufield now: a more rounded players that can score 25-30 or more if healthy for the full season

Edited by alfredoh2009

When I see Caufield, I see a guy who gets as much joy for setting up a teammate for a goal  as he does for scoring a goal. His puck skills are elite, both passing and obviously shooting. I don't see a selfish player at all, not sure if that is something he learned and St. Louis influenced or if it has been there all the time. Probably a bit of both. He is a keeper. 

I think their #1 line will be fun to watch for years because all 3 guys are good passers and unselfish. 

Caufield played an entirely different way last season. He is in different areas of the ice and he is trying to score from different areas. He carries the puck more and creates plays more. 

He started putting up more points as he started to figure it out. He is going to improve and when it all falls into place, Caufield is going to be a beast

6 hours ago, GHT120 said:

I read some place that he is very good offensively overall as well. Its his defence that needs work.

18 minutes ago, Dalhabs said:

I read some place that he is very good offensively overall as well. Its his defence that needs work.

Comment on Caufield before 2019 draft;

Under Construction (Improvements to Make)
Lack of size
Needs to improve on defense
Doesn’t like to handle the puck in the defensive zone

How much worse is Eiserman's defensive effort or skills? And he dosent turn 18 till August, so is hope he can see the light defensively.

1 hour ago, DON said:

Comment on Caufield before 2019 draft;

Under Construction (Improvements to Make)
Lack of size
Needs to improve on defense
Doesn’t like to handle the puck in the defensive zone

How much worse is Eiserman's defensive effort or skills? And he dosent turn 18 till August, so is hope he can see the light defensively.

It is the scout's job to assess not only the current state of his defensive game but to project his willingness/ability to improve it ... hopefully "hope" is not the basis of their evaluation.

25 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

It is the scout's job to assess not only the current state of his defensive game but to project his willingness/ability to improve it ... hopefully "hope" is not the basis of their evaluation.

Yes, is the player coachable. 

Is Eiserman's defense much worse than what Caufield's was in his draft year? :spamafote:

1 hour ago, DON said:

Is Eiserman's defense much worse than what Caufield's was in his draft year? :spamafote:

Not a particularly good review but in fairness they have been all over the place for Eiserman. 

“While his shot, offensive routes, and ability to release in tight space continue to be top-of-the-class strengths, it’s simply not enough. A lack of overall engagement, poor decision-making, a lack of explosive skating, and an overall passivity have regularly marred viewings.” – David Saad, Dobber Prospects

3 hours ago, GHT120 said:

Indeed. When the Habs picked Slafkovsky, they said that they were not picking the best player that day, but, rather, the one they expected would be the best in five years. And, so far, so good ...

3 hours ago, DON said:

Yes

Caufield was a better playmaker too at that age.

1 hour ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

Not a particularly good review but in fairness they have been all over the place for Eiserman. 

“While his shot, offensive routes, and ability to release in tight space continue to be top-of-the-class strengths, it’s simply not enough. A lack of overall engagement, poor decision-making, a lack of explosive skating, and an overall passivity have regularly marred viewings.” – David Saad, Dobber Prospects

This is not a HuGo player and I would be shocked if they took him. 

I think it was Catton that had high IQ and work ethic - that’s a HuGo player 

I wish the draft was tomorrow