Game #48: Islanders at Canadiens, 25 January, 7 P

tomh009

7 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

And he "elevated" to do it ... could be an in-person hearing.

I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s more than 5 games. He willfully had to contort himself/reach/elevate to connect his elbow to that guys head. 

This is far from incidental contact 

7 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Gallagher owes Monahan, Caufield, Andersson and Montembault a steak dinner and a night at Chez Paree for saving his ass.

He's not usually THAT dumb. But this time ... wow.

13 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Gallagher owes Monahan, Caufield, Andersson and Montembault a steak dinner and a night at Chez Paree for saving his ass.

Might be worthwhile buying the "whistler" a dance as well.

Has he ever been suspended? If not, 2 to 5. If he has maybe more than 5. That was a terrible hit. Blind side, couldn't get the hit, so elbow right to the chops. Just brutal.deserving of 5 games regardless of history imo

10 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Given the NHL’s approach to discipline, he could get 5, he could get 1, he could get a fine, he could get awarded a new pony and be told he’s a Good Guy. Who the f**k knows

This made me legit laugh out loud.

• Like 1

That offensive explosion was fun to watch.  Gallagher really shit the bed with that senseless head shot, and yes he needs to pick up the tab for his teammates some night in exchange for bailing him out.

5 hours ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

Gallagher is going to get suspended. Brutal elbow right to the chops. 

We’ll, that’s one way to get him out of the lineup🙄 

wifi must be thinking I get sent down with penalties 10% as bad as this, and some old washed up old guy could have cost us the game and he’ll be back in after serving his suspension. 
having said that - I totally supported wifi being sent down. Just see Gallagher’s action as really selfish and dumb from a leader who where’s an “A”. He’s not adding anything offensively, the least that he can do is not take such a blatant idiotic penalty when we are finally up after a really pathetic losing streak.

on the other hand, maybe it was an elbow to help the Celebrini lottery odds? The Sens are getting close, must not pick up any more points…

4 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Given the NHL’s approach to discipline, he could get 5, he could get 1, he could get a fine, he could get awarded a new pony and be told he’s a Good Guy. Who the f**k knows

With any other team I’d agree. But it’s Montreal. And it’s Gallagher. I expect they’ll throw the book depending on how his past suspension history is.

4 hours ago, hab29RETIRED said:

wifi must be thinking I get sent down with penalties 10% as bad as this, and some old washed up old guy could have cost us the game and he’ll be back in after serving his suspension. 
having said that - I totally supported wifi being sent down. Just see Gallagher’s action as really selfish and dumb from a leader who where’s an “A”. He’s not adding anything offensively, the least that he can do is not take such a blatant idiotic penalty when we are finally up after a really pathetic losing streak.

on the other hand, maybe it was an elbow to help the Celebrini lottery odds? The Sens are getting close, must not pick up any more points…

Come on we know that Gary is going to be pulling a sj ball out of that

1 hour ago, Plutarch said:

Come on we know that Gary is going to be pulling a sj ball out of that

Except Gary doesn't pull the balls ... it is a lottery "hopper" supervised by Ernst & Young or some other such collection of suits ... but expect they "want" SJS, Anaheim or Chicago (the new Kane and Toews).

18 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

Except Gary doesn't pull the balls ... it is a lottery "hopper" supervised by Ernst & Young or some other such collection of suits ... but expect they "want" SJS, Anaheim or Chicago (the new Kane and Toews).

NOT suggesting this is happening but perhaps that hopper has many more Chicago balls than it should for example. 

I wonder if the supervisor counts the balls as they go in to ensure that proper odds are represented?

11 hours ago, BCHabnut said:

Has he ever been suspended? If not, 2 to 5. If he has maybe more than 5. That was a terrible hit. Blind side, couldn't get the hit, so elbow right to the chops. Just brutal.deserving of 5 games regardless of history imo

As far I as can tell, I don't think he has.  That'll change in the next 36 hours.

44 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

NOT suggesting this is happening but perhaps that hopper has many more Chicago balls than it should for example. 

I wonder if the supervisor counts the balls as they go in to ensure that proper odds are represented?

There are only 14 balls that go in the machine, numbered 1-14 and yes, they're carefully observed as they go in.  The league actually has started posting the actual lottery draw, here's the 2022 one that Montreal won:

7 hours ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Gallaghers penalty was dirty, inexcusable and he deserves a suspension.

Id even consider stripping his A for a bit as punishment when he comes back, a leader can't do that.

That said, while hes still overpaid Gallagher has been better overall this season than last.

On Xhekaj, In two games since being back he has taken 3 minors.  St. Louis was asked about this in his presser last night and he wasnt happy with that either.  He cant be taking minors every game.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, hab29RETIRED said:

If there is any good news to be had in this awfulness, it’s that this massively irresponsible act by Gallagher may make it easier for the management group to shift toward thinking “buyout.” Now that he has lost a step the primary case Gally makes for himself is “leadership.” Well, this is a young team with a bad habit of taking stupid, unnecessary penalties. And he goes and takes THE stupidest, worst, most inexcusable penalty of the entire season. 

I’m disappointed he’s getting 5 or less. This kind of crap should receive huge suspensions. What if some bum does that to Suzuki? A complete disgrace.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

Ernst and Young supervises business accounts worth way more than the NHL makes in a year.  The reason they do so much business is an impeccable reputation in the financial industry.  Rigging a draft lottery that they put their name on damages that reputation.  No one wants to do financial business with a company that does fraud for bribes.

Quite simply the NHL couldnt afford what it would cost to get a bribe to fix this.

The league also.releases full video of the lottery after its over.

Quite simply, these tinfoil hat conspiracies of rigging the lottery are complete and utter B.S.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

If there is any good news to be had in this awfulness, it’s that this massively irresponsible act by Gallagher may make it easier for the management group to shift toward thinking “buyout.” Now that he has lost a step the primary case Gally makes for himself is “leadership.” Well, this is a young team with a bad habit of taking stupid, unnecessary penalties. And he goes and takes THE stupidest, worst, most inexcusable penalty of the entire season. 

I’m disappointed he’s getting 5 or less. This kind of crap should receive huge suspensions. What if some bum does that to Suzuki? A complete disgrace.

The contract just doesnt make buyout feasible.  You dont want to double the length remaining, not now anyway.

Pay it now, in years you arent competing and then see if you buy it out or trade it with fewer years remaining, but hes here next season too as the value of eating a year is worth more than stretching it out to double the length into years we want to compete.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Ernst and Young supervises business accounts worth way more than the NHL makes in a year.  The reason they do so much business is an impeccable reputation in the financial industry.  Rigging a draft lottery that they put their name on damages that reputation.  No one wants to do financial business with a company that does fraud for bribes.

Quite simply the NHL couldnt afford what it would cost to get a bribe to fix this.

The league also.releases full video of the lottery after its over.

Quite simply, these tinfoil hat conspiracies of rigging the lottery are complete and utter B.S.

Not to editorialize, but our culture has more than enough baseless conspiracy theories without NHL fans adding to their number. 

Just now, Commandant said:

The contract just doesnt make buyout feasible.  You dont want to double the length remaining, not now anyway.

Pay it now, in years you arent competing and then see if you buy it out or trade it with fewer years remaining, but hes here next season too as the value of eating a year is worth more than stretching it out to double the length into years we want to compete.

Again, thanks. My granular grasp of contractual matters is not good. I gather that even burying him in the minors would not give us all that much cap relief (a change to the original cap CBA logic that does not make much sense to me, but what do I know).

The thought of watching Gally wheeze around as a shadow of himself for at least another two years is slightly depressing…although in purely hockey terms he’s not absolutely terrible yet. But last night’s action really lowers him in my esteem.

12 hours ago, tomh009 said:

Three PPG by the Islanders, on a dumb penalty by Evans, and an even dumber one by Gallagher.

I thought the penalty on Evans was funny.  He was being held, which wasn’t called, and when he grabbed the stick to free himself, he got called for holding the stick.  That’s a botched call.  It should of both been called, neither, or a penalty on the islanders.  

it the equivalent of being called for playing with a broken stick after immediately having your stick broke by a slash.  Or being called for diving after being tripped.  The second penalty was a result of the first penalty, but the second one is the only one called. 

Yeah sending him to the minors saves just over a million in cap hit.

When you add in a league minimum (or slightly more) call up as a replacement, the savings is a few hundred grand at best.  And if your replacement is over a million it becomes virtually nothing saved.

4 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Yeah sending him to the minors saves just over a million in cap hit.

When you add in a league minimum (or slightly more) call up as a replacement, the savings is a few hundred grand at best.  And if your replacement is over a million it becomes virtually nothing saved.

With Gallagher having a full NMC, he'd have to waive it to even be put on waivers for assignment to the AHL.  I can't see him doing that.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

If there is any good news to be had in this awfulness, it’s that this massively irresponsible act by Gallagher may make it easier for the management group to shift toward thinking “buyout.”

Unfortunately it doesn't make the buyout any cheaper.