Game 49 - Montreal @ Pittsburgh - January 27th - 7 pm

GHT120

• No news on lines
  • Harris in because "we are healthy and it is a competitive league" ... I would also note that Pittsburgh has the 3rd fewest PIMs per game, not the most physical team
  • Harris always impresses me with how he handles himself with the media

• Upvote 1

A random note on an old friend in Pittsburgh's lineup, tonight will be Lars Eller's 1,000th game.  He may not have lived up to being a full-time top-six centre but he has had a pretty good NHL career all things considered.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

A random note on an old friend in Pittsburgh's lineup, tonight will be Lars Eller's 1,000th game.  He may not have lived up to being a full-time top-six centre but he has had a pretty good NHL career all things considered.

Congrats to Lars ... sadly, in Montreal he will always be judged by what fans expected to get in a trade for Halak, and that Gauthier apparently sole-sourcing the trade.

13 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

Congrats to Lars ... sadly, in Montreal he will always be judged by what fans expected to get in a trade for Halak, and that Gauthier apparently sole-sourcing the trade.

And those expectations were not totally out of line after he scored 4 goals one night (and an assist), against Winnipeg. I remember watching that game thinking Eller could be something really good.  Very good skater, just couldn't generate offense consistently enough to be a top 2 center. As a #3 center he was absolutely fine. 

5 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

In a single game, anything can happen, but unfortunately fans expect it to be repeatable. Just as with Poehling, too.

True, but that's what fans (short for fanatic) do, it's not always logical thinking. You hope and you dream. I am certainly guilty of that. 

2 hours ago, dlbalr said:

1000 games for the guy we traded and 0 games for the players we ended up with!

Congrats to Eller 

He was not the same after the Gryba hit, I was going to put the link to the replay fut out of respect for Lars I won't. In WSH he got a role that better fit him

Who thinks Crosby leaves Pittsburgh to chase one more cup before his career is done?

I hope he leaves. He's still such a good player and the Penguins are clearly declining.

Montreal in 2025-26 would be cool as we might be good by then but I would be happy to see him go to any contending team so we can see him in the playoffs. 

36 minutes ago, sim.on said:

Who thinks Crosby leaves Pittsburgh to chase one more cup before his career is done?

I hope he leaves. He's still such a good player and the Penguins are clearly declining.

Montreal in 2025-26 would be cool as we might be good by then but I would be happy to see him go to any contending team so we can see him in the playoffs. 

If the Pens miss the playoffs this season, or get killed in the first round, things get very awkward for Dubas in Pittsburgh.

Entering this season their roster was already the oldest by average age (by over a year!) ... they have 13 NHLers under contact for 24/25 and $18M of cap space ... but at least half of that will go to re-signing Guentzel (if they even can) ... the other 6 of their top 7 scorers are already over 30 (3 over 35, one w/b 34 next season) ... so not much cap flexibility or logic to start "adding" for next season.

So while I expect Crosby wants to finish his career in Pittsburgh, if they approach him and ask him to help jump-start a rebuild then perhaps he agrees to be traded.

21 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

So while I expect Crosby wants to finish his career in Pittsburgh, if they approach him and ask him to help jump-start a rebuild then perhaps he agrees to be trade

Or he takes a pay cut and stays, to finish his career in Pittsburgh. Much less likely, but possible. And it would still help start the rebuild.

32 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

If the Pens miss the playoffs this season, or get killed in the first round, things get very awkward for Dubas in Pittsburgh.

Entering this season their roster was already the oldest by average age (by over a year!) ... they have 13 NHLers under contact for 24/25 and $18M of cap space ... but at least half of that will go to re-signing Guentzel (if they even can) ... the other 6 of their top 7 scorers are already over 30 (3 over 35, one w/b 34 next season) ... so not much cap flexibility or logic to start "adding" for next season.

So while I expect Crosby wants to finish his career in Pittsburgh, if they approach him and ask him to help jump-start a rebuild then perhaps he agrees to be traded.

So you think if he hits UFA in the summer of 2025 he's not looking around the league and just resigns in Pittsburgh at a discount?

I think he still the desire and drive to win and may eagerly chase a cup elsewhere. 

1 hour ago, sim.on said:

As long as that doesn’t happen this season. 

Nothing would crush the value of Monahan quite like Crosby entering the trade market at the same time!

1 hour ago, sim.on said:

If he leaves in the near future, i could see him playing with MacKinnon in Colorado.

I doubt he leaves though 

5 hours ago, dlbalr said:

Eller scored the Stanley Cup game winning goal for Washington in their 4-3 win over Vegas to clinch the cup. Not a bad career at all.

It’s fitting that his 1000th game is versus the Habs.

At the beginning of the season I saw that Eller would play his 1000th game in Montreal.  I hope they do a video for him at some point.

The way Eller played in the WJ he looked like he might be the next Forsberg.  Its a damn shame that didn't happen but he was a decent 3rd line C and had a good career.  I continued to cheer for him after he left the Habs and was glad he won the Cup and was happy that he got the series winning goal.  

27 minutes ago, Commandant said:

If he leaves in the near future, i could see him playing with MacKinnon in Colorado.

I doubt he leaves though 

They are good friends and the Avs are legitimate contenders, I could see it.

2 hours ago, sim.on said:

It’ll be interesting to see. It would not shock me if he decides to ride it out with the Penguins and retire in that jersey.

Kind of a “meh” period. But damn, we give up a lot of shots. And some of those saves were of the “very tricky” variety.

Boy…when we look back on the 2023-24 season, I hope we remember the very generous number of stellar goaltending performances our three-headed monster has provided. Allen has been just tremendous over two periods tonight.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, sbhatt said:

The break from Harris wasn't nearly long enough.  He still stinks.

I’ve been thinking for some time that he looks like the first “odd man out” from the crop of D that’s emerged during the rebuild. I’m just not seeing the smarts and efficiency I thought I saw in his game last year. You do have to factor in the ol’ sophomore jinx, but he looks more and more like another one of those Mete types who scratch out a borderline career, rather than be a legit regular.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

Allen was spectacular 

Garry Galley makes my ears bleed. He is every bit as annoying as Glen Healey - who remains the worst colour commentator in the history of hockey 

He’s another in the long line of mediocrities HNIC has chosen to elevate over the years. The show is unparalleled at turning a silk purse into a sow’s arse. One thing he IS doing tonight, though, is pump up Monahan, which is both fully deserved and good to see as we head into the deadline - although I doubt media buzz makes much difference to GMs.