Kaberle to Montreal

Colin

Haha oh noes the sky is falling the sky is falling. I think as habs fans it's easier to be negitive about change and then can be happily surprised than try to be positive for once. The biggest issue with this team is not giving up goals it's scoring on the PP, Kaberle is a PP guy...so PG has addressed this need.

Forget the money. Fans seem to think just BECAUSE we have money available the habs will get the best player, thats not the truth. How many times have the habs offered comparable or more money for a player and for them to turn the habs down? Part of this is due to us as fans and how we flip out and react so negitively to any kind of move.

Short term it's an interesting change: More offense, better outlet passer, younger, cup winner (though some might argue it was in spite of Kaberle and not because of him.)

Long term... it's just weird, man. Who just got told they don't have a future with the Habs? Diaz? Emelin? Does this force Gorges out the door? Does this force a move to get rid of the Gomez contract?

It's just weird.

If we lose Gorges becauase of the Kaberle deal, Gauthier shouldn't just be fired, but he should be tarred, feathered, and hung from the Bell centre!

Seriusly though. Kaberle has been a bust for a year and a half. Why would a 4th team in under a year translate to success all of a sudden?

Kaberle had 47 pts last year and +4, how is that a bust? I guess we have different versions of what a bust is. I am open to change, lets see what he brings. As has been said in other threads...if not Kaberle, who? Markov seems to be hinted at gone til after all-star break, the habs need something.

The question is, what kind of team do you guys think we are? Are we a good team that can contend, or are we a poor to average team that needs to rebuild. If we are a team that can contend, then Kaberle just made the team better. Don't worry about the cap stuff. Kaberle is better than Spacek. Plain and simple. I think even when Markov comes back, if Kaberle takes teh left side and Marky the right, that PP could look pretty good. I've always liked Kaberle. He was Toronto's best player for several years. He was poor after the deadline last year and average this year. We have lots of players like that on the Habs, and we consider them assets. I think this move makes the team better right now.

This year is done. The GM should have been moving Moen, Spacek, Gill at the deadline for picks/prospects. Get in a new coach to work with the young players and then moving at least one of Cammy/Gionta before next year and getting on his hands and knees and begging the Molson's to bury Gomez's contract in the minor or finding a creative way to trade his ass out of Montreal. instead, he takes on another dumb contract, gets another soft, lazy player who had no interest in being in the playoffs and was extremely happy playing on a losing Toronto team and getting an early summer vacation. Great guy to pick up - a guy who signs a 3 year deal and then drags his fat out of shape into training camp and plays like crap. Well, I guess he should feel right at home on Martin's Habs.

I don't see how Kaberle will help us on the PP at this stage of his career. He was pair with the hardest shot in the NHL the end of last year and he couldn't get anything going and hasn't since. I will admit he's an improvement over Spacek, so that in consideration, he's not taking anything away from the team.

His contract bothers me also. We got rid of an overpaid defenseman on his last year, money we could use for Price and Subban, only to get an overpriced defenseman to replace him with 2 additional years on his contract. This overpaid, underachieving team we're continuing to build seems a bit too counter productive.

Why is it that you are bent on defending PG and Martin know matter how stupid their decisions are???

Same could be said : Why is that you are bent on bashing PG and Martin no matter that you don't have any insights or crystal ball to see the future of what this move will look like ?

• Upvote 1

What makes people think we're investing in Kaberle beyond this season? Elliott Friedman recently said that GM's would've taken Kaberle and Brassard if it were the offseason while planning their rosters. It could be that this is a simple Spacek for Kaberle swap for this season and at the entry draft Gauthier moves Kaberle to make room for the players he wants to keep. Nothing says we're keeping Kaberle through next year.

To me here is a short breakdown.

1) A Panic move to help a struggling coach and struggling PP

2) A move for a player who has shown nothing for a year playing on 4 teams

3) A move that can cost us with the expriing contracts of Emelin, Eller, Price, Subban, Gorges, Kostitsyn, Moen, Gill, etc....

But......

This is a gamble. kaberle was only a year and a half ago a great point producing player. If he can regain his form then this CAN be a steal.

Same could be said : Why is that you are bent on bashing PG and Martin no matter that you don't have any insights or crystal ball to see the future of what this move will look like ?

I think the habs record is grounds for bashing them.

FOr the record, While everyone has been defending Gomez until the end of last year, I was critical of the Gomez deal when it went down. I was crying over losing McDonaugh while other on this site were comparing him to Balej.

I'm still undecided on what I think about this deal. On the one hand, we are getting a little younger on the blue line. kaberle should help out on the PP and is generally considered an offensive d-man (watch JM try to convert him to a defensive d-man!! :rolleyes: )

On the negative side, he sucked in Boston last year and is a soft defensman (just what we needed!) Let's hope he can get back to what he was in Toronto.

As far as compromising the chance of signing Gorges, I think that with the money we'll save from Gill we should be able to resign Gorges. If we lose Gorges, I will personally hunt down PG and cover him with tar and some feathers.

So in the end, I'll give Keberle the benefit of the doubt and give him some time (15-20 games)to show us what he can do!

Kaberle had 47 pts last year and +4, how is that a bust? I guess we have different versions of what a bust is. I am open to change, lets see what he brings. As has been said in other threads...if not Kaberle, who? Markov seems to be hinted at gone til after all-star break, the habs need something.

In Toronto he was great. In Boston and Carolina a bust. Here's hoping Montreal is different.

I think the habs record is grounds for bashing them.

FOr the record, While everyone has been defending Gomez until the end of last year, I was critical of the Gomez deal when it went down. I was crying over losing McDonaugh while other on this site were comparing him to Balej.

Who the HELL thought that trade was good? Saying "everyone" is just lying.

To me here is a short breakdown.

1) A Panic move to help a struggling coach and struggling PP

2) A move for a player who has shown nothing for a year playing on 4 teams

3) A move that can cost us with the expriing contracts of Emelin, Eller, Price, Subban, Gorges, Kostitsyn, Moen, Gill, etc....

But......

This is a gamble. kaberle was only a year and a half ago a great point producing player. If he can regain his form then this CAN be a steal.

I said it above but I guess you didn't see it, he had 47 pts last year and +4, how is that not showing anything? On the habs he'd be what top 4 on the team in scoring..his numbers seem similar to . . . . WIZ except cheaper than what Wiz was signed for.

I don't know why everyone is worrying about the money at this point, it's not coming out of your pockets. If, down the road, IF, we have to let one of our free agents walk because of cap issues, THEN, the crying might be justified. We have no idea how things are going to shake up in the future. Everyone complains that our PP sucks, so what does our GM do? He does his job and tries to address it. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

The big problem here is not even this season but going forward.

Subban, Price, Gorges....they all need new contracts this summer. Gauthier just added another 700K (approx) to the cap for the next two seasons. And what is Kaberle continues to suck like he has in Carolina and Boston (before)? Then the Canadiens have ANOTHER over-paid dead-weight player (hello Scott Gomez) on their roster.

The frightening thing is that, for the deal to go through, Geoff Molson would have to approve the deal. That means he has faith in the current management team/has no immediate plans to replace anyone. He really is going to let this play out, at least for now...and THAT, is frightening.

On another note, I think this deal is a precursor to something else...I'm thinking Weber gets moved in the next day or so...

This year is done. The GM should have been moving Moen, Spacek, Gill at the deadline for picks/prospects.

Just a quick counter to that point, those guys have more value at the deadline than now. There you'll have multiple GMs looking for veteran help for the playoffs, plus I can't recall too many teams starting a rebuild/retool before the deadline.

<p>&nbsp;</p>

<p>

<br>

To me here is a short breakdown.<br>

<br>

1) A Panic move to help a struggling coach and struggling PP<br>

2) A move for a player who has shown nothing for a year playing on 4 teams<br>

3) A move that can cost us with the expriing contracts of Emelin, Eller, Price, Subban, Gorges, Kostitsyn, Moen, Gill, etc....<br>

<br>

But......<br>

<br>

This is a gamble.&nbsp;&nbsp;kaberle was only a year and a half ago a great point producing player.&nbsp;&nbsp;If he can regain his form then this CAN be a steal.<br>

It's a panic move being made when we should be unloading contracts, not adding bad contracts. I don't see this sorry bunch making the playoffs and I can't see Martin getting this time in the playoffs. As I've said earlier, we should have been moving Spacek, Gill, Moen, Campoli, at the deadline for picks and prospects. I'd also try to move either one of Cammy and Gionta in a package for either a lottery pick or a #1 centre and DUMP Gomez.

I'd resign Gorges, Subban, Price, AK46, Emelin to be part of a core that includes Pleks, MaxPac, Cole, Eller and DD and rebuild the rest of the team. First and foemost is getting a BIG centre or at least a centre that has some semblance of being a legit #1 centre and let Pleks play the #2 role. Get bigger and tougher on the blue line (instead of picking up another physical and emotional marshmellow like Kaberle).

In Toronto he was great. In Boston and Carolina a bust. Here&#39;s hoping Montreal is different.

When was the last time he made the playoffs in Toronto???? We don't need someone who puts up soft points when there is no expectation or chance of making the playoffs. We need someone who can be the catalyst to get us in the playoffs. I don't see Kaberle being that guy.

Just a quick counter to that point, those guys have more value at the deadline than now. There you'll have multiple GMs looking for veteran help for the playoffs, plus I can't recall too many teams starting a rebuild/retool before the deadline.

I'm not saying to move them now - I am talking about moving them at the deadline.

The big problem here is not even this season but going forward.

Subban, Price, Gorges....they all need new contracts this summer. Gauthier just added another 700K (approx) to the cap for the next two seasons. And what is Kaberle continues to suck like he has in Carolina and Boston (before)? Then the Canadiens have ANOTHER over-paid dead-weight player (hello Scott Gomez) on their roster.

The frightening thing is that, for the deal to go through, Geoff Molson would have to approve the deal. That means he has faith in the current management team/has no immediate plans to replace anyone. He really is going to let this play out, at least for now...and THAT, is frightening.

On another note, I think this deal is a precursor to something else...I'm thinking Weber gets moved in the next day or so...

Yep - my money is on another dumb deal where we pick up another lazy dead weight player like Penner. Should fit in with the kind of guys that PG likes.

What bid raises for Subban and Gorges are you referring to? You have seen Subban play this year right? he has 1 goal and no options. I agree he has great potential but his year is not deserving of a big raise.

Gorges os a solid player and blocks shots, he is not physical, he can't score. Again, how much money is he going to get? Anything more then 3mill is redicoulous.

Price should be making 80% of the teams cap space, he is the only one who shows up and plays his best every night.

This move shows that JM and PG care little about the future of the Habs and are just looking to save their own skin. (Blaming the young D for all their woes, a vet d is their last chance) If things don't improve there will be a fire sale come trade dealine time. How about Subban for Penner? Moen for a 7th? Tinordi for Chris Kelly? Anything is possible with these clowns. This team is becoming a laughingstock. I watched Kaberle play a lot of games last year, since I live in Boston, and he's truly terrible. Double chin and all. How embarrasing/dumb.

What bid raises for Subban and Gorges are you referring to? You have seen Subban play this year right? he has 1 goal and no options. I agree he has great potential but his year is not deserving of a big raise.

Gorges os a solid player and blocks shots, he is not physical, he can't score. Again, how much money is he going to get? Anything more then 3mill is redicoulous.

Price should be making 80% of the teams cap space, he is the only one who shows up and plays his best every night.

Subban may not get a big raise, but he will still get a raise. All it means is that instead of signing a longer term deal, he will sign for 1 or 2 years this summer and then hit a home run salary wise afterwards.

At the end of the day, the issue is we are over-paying too many players for the production they bring. The only contracts we will get value for money this year (either production/performance relative to what they are being paid) are probably Price, Pleks, Gorges, Ak46, Maxpac, Cole, DD, Emelin, Diaz, Moen and Eller if his hard play starts translating into goals. What is scary from this list of player is that 5 out of these 10 are under $2M, while some of our big contracts like Gomez, Cammy, Gionta and now Gomez are busts. I'm not including Markov in the bust category, becuase, his is injured and I really think he will be back and play well when he returns.

Clearly, this was a move for the PP. If they did nothing, people would be howling for their heads.

I view this as the last straw. If Kaberle comes in and fixes our PP ( I have my doubts), then it is probably a good move, especially if we can dump him later. If he really rebounds, then having him next year might not be bad either.

However, if this doesn't fix the PP, will they finally admit this team is not a player away from contending and build toward next year, not this year. Ie., trade Spacek for a pick or prospect. Trade Gill at the deadline for a pick or prospect, etc.

Right now, this moves says "we are taking on cap hit next year to make us better this year.."

It's funny the world we live in. Instant opinion, instant quotes. Jim Rutherford "should have known better" when he looks back at the decision to sign him. Pierre Lebrun hears from another GM who's "shocked" Carolina was able to trade that bad contract. I hope this works. And I hope it doesn't have cap ramifications this summer. And YES, it's a bad contract.

I don't see Eller, Gorges or Subban getting these giant raises you are talking about, Unless Subban starts scoring, I think he will get a fairly cap friendly deal. I am sort of with CC on this. Figure out teh cap stuff later. If you want to win and contend, you have to do stuff like this. If you think your team needs to rebuild, then this is a little crazy. Kaberle may be able to get Cammie scoring a bit more, and that could be the difference between winning and losing. I would preffer to dump a couple of oompa loompas myself, but it doesn't look that easy. A year ago, we would all be going nuts over this deal and showering Gautier with praise.

I have been quite clear about my opinions about this team, but obviously management believes there is still potential. At 4.25 mill, I don't think Kaberle's contract is untradeable.