2015-16 NHL Season Thread

dlbalr

Guest Stogey24

Therrien is done. I don't think coaching is a huge problem, but we will need to turn the page on this disaster and one clear way to do that is to hire a fresh voice to run the room.

That said, you are certainly right, and I think we all agree. It's not either-or, it's both.

even after seeing the lack of finish all year, Bergevin made zero changes. He hoped to win the lottery on Semin or Kassian and there was no plan B.

They need players with talent way more than a coach.

Actually we have a really good core of players with talent. We have bullshite coaching and we need 2 players but that is it. Just my opininion

even after seeing the lack of finish all year, Bergevin made zero changes. He hoped to win the lottery on Semin or Kassian and there was no plan B.

We have heard from reporters he tried, but after hearing he thought he could get two second rounders for Tinordi over the summer, it's clear his pricing was completely out of whack. We may have been able to acquire a guy that could provide scoring on the right side but Bergevin decided it was too expensive when it was just prospects or something. Who knows.

No, it could mean Tyler Myers or Jake Trouba are now on the market, is said that the Jets cant afford all three and I assume they just extended the big fellow and rumoured Trouba will ask for big bucks.

Myers @$5.5m might look good in a Habs jersey, but both he and Trouba are RH d-men, so not a fit I guess.

He's a defenceman who averages 56 pts per season for the last 6 years.

His defensive Corsi Against numbers are similar to Ryan Suter. His corsi for numbers blow Suter out of the water.

He's good.

The only concern I have is he's 31 years old and 270 lbs. A five year contract would scare me with his conditioning.

But right now, he's absolutely one of the top 10-15 dmen in the NHL

Ottawa is a fringe team, not sure why they're making a move like this one

They feel like they are a better team for making the deal, and I agree. Michalek is a bum and Phaneuf is better than Cowan. The only downfall of course is that long term contract to Mr. Pylon

The Sens get a little bit better by adding an upgrade to their 2nd D pairing.

But Toronto clearly wins here; they managed to find a sucker to take Phaneuf's albatross of a contract (7mil cap hit per, for 5 more years after this one). The Leafs can and likely will buy out Cowan this summer for only 1 million, will be free of Greening's 2.65 after next year, and Michalek's 4mil for one year can either be put to use or traded to a team with lots of space (with a pick to sweeten the deal). This could very well give them the room they need to sign Stamkos this summer...not something I want to see.

This does nothing to the Habs, really.

Leafs are going to trade Parenteau and Grabner or simply let them go. That opens up Michalek and Greening to take their spots and possibly earn a trade for draft picks. Cowen will either be kept or bought out. Either way he sucks.

Phaneuf boosts the Ottawa D a bit but at the price of costing them keeping other players due to their self-imposed cap. Nothing changes.

Guest Stogey24

They feel like they are a better team for making the deal, and I agree. Michalek is a bum and Phaneuf is better than Cowan. The only downfall of course is that long term contract to Mr. Pylon

Today they're a better team.... 3 years from now, not so much. Lindberg is a quality prospect

I saw this off twitter and had to repost it RE: Leafs/Sens trade

(@50_MissionCap):

My favourite exercise in cognitive dissonance is watching all the Sens fans who called Phaneuf a pylon for years suddenly love him.

love it