Game Thread | Habs vs. Flyers | 17/02/08

Cataclaw

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have to laugh a bit at this. Last year, everyone was champing at the bit to GET RID of Kovalev for a used jock strap. Now we're being urged to extend his contract come hell or high water :lol:

The prudent thing is to wait. If he still plays at this (unedniably incredible) level for the first half of 08-09, then look to resign him for two years if you can. But he might want more years than that, and at more dough than he currently makes. And we might have more young players, more fully developed offensively, by then (e.g., a guy like Lats might take a step up, Kostityn might have fully bloomed, etc.). We might also be able to bag a UFA along the way. Under these circumstances, we should trade him at the deadline.

It's a long, winding path, and Bob will pursue a patient course. Stay cool.

Not me I defended Kovalev tooth and nail.

Tough, tough game. I am sure that there are many Habs with bruises and sore bodies today.

Forgive me for doubting you Bouillon! What a game.

Price made some really killer saves but he wasn't as good as he was on Saturday. Huet should start on Tuesday just to keep him in the game.

Hard to believe that we are tied for first place this far in to the season :clap:

The Rangers will be a tough game, we always suck against them :angry:

I've never seen Kovalev so content and happy in a Habs jersey. Big smiles and hugs for his teammates after each goal he's on the ice for. Last year, he'd hardly crack a smile - just skate back to the bench.

It's great to see. This man is finding his niche. At 34 years old he's finally becoming a leader and mentor. He's also playing much smarter and more economical - before he'd try to stickhandle through everybody else on the ice, now he's using his teammates and the points are starting to accumulate. I think this is finally starting to dawn on him.

I have to laugh a bit at this. Last year, everyone was champing at the bit to GET RID of Kovalev for a used jock strap. Now we're being urged to extend his contract come hell or high water :lol:

I'm so happy the way the team is coming together. We can only hope the same occurs with our second line. Like another poster said the smiles on Kovy's face are priceless as Koivu and Ryder scored w/ helpers coming from the man himself. I can't wait for Higgins,Ryder and Koivu to snap out of it.

Ya it's pretty funny alll the meatheads demanding to resign Kovy fast. If he slumps next year and goes back to his old form they'll be the ones calling Gainey and Carbo idiots for it, and that they should be fired.

I guess Habsland is splattered with Leaf fan types. I never realized that until I started visiting these boards. Oh well!!!!!! I guess it's true there is an ass or two in every crowd. Even in Habsworld!

This is selfish, but I want the habs/Flyers to play in the playoffs, wouldn't that be exciting hockey?

The last two games have been some of the more entertaining of the year IMO.

Big ups for Koivu/Ryder, hopefully this gets them back on track.

This is selfish, but I want the habs/Flyers to play in the playoffs, wouldn't that be exciting hockey?

The last two games have been some of the more entertaining of the year IMO.

Big ups for Koivu/Ryder, hopefully this gets them back on track.

1 v. 8

I'd go back to Huet on a Price loss no questions asked: can't risk Huet being rusty if Price starts stinking it up.

I don't know if I'd start Huet against the Rangers Tuesday. That's 3 starts in a row for Price, and he's done well in every game. Normally I'd give the game to Huet, just to make sure he isn't too rusty, but Huet seems to have a hard time against the Rangers this year.

I don't know if I'd start Huet against the Rangers Tuesday. That's 3 starts in a row for Price, and he's done well in every game. Normally I'd give the game to Huet, just to make sure he isn't too rusty, but Huet seems to have a hard time against the Rangers this year.

I am still undecided on this. While Huet has been in tough against the rangers, the reality is the team has been too. Do you really want to tell a number 1 goalie that they don't have to step up and meet the challenge? It might be better for him to come out and beat them and get the monkey off his back. On top of that, Price was not nearly as solid tonight as he was (he didn't really need to be either) and he might be due for a weak game.

On the other hand, I bet the team sucks against NYR. They seem due for another one of those crap games we see so often. Do we really want Huet to have to come back to that, or should we push Price hard to see what he can do. While they were brutal against Florida, the Rangers have more firepower and if they give them as many chances as they game Florida, they are screwed, regardless of the goalie.

It will be a tough decision for Carbo. While everyone who loves Price is all excited, Huet is the number 1 goalie for this team and if they screw around with him at this point in the season we might end up with a Gerber / Emery situation.

Speaking of goalies, as much as Huet has a bad game or two, lets keep it in perspective. Have you seen Osgoode or Kipper lately. Yikes.

The more I think about it, the more I think the Habs have been simply grooming Price all season long because they've planned all along to start the playoffs with him firmly entrenched in the #1 position. This back-to-back games vs Philly was another test - physical & psychological - to see how well Price could do when facing the same team again and again.

Price said during an interview yesterday that he was tired. the two week-end games were rough. The Habs gave up alot of Shots and the Flyers kept on crashing the net. Maybe it a good opportunity toget huet back in nets.

Edited by Habsfan

I think you have to go with Huet. He's come up big in games after he's been out for a few. I'm sure he's greatly benefited from the rest, and playing Price three games in four days wouldn't be a good move. This is the perfect opportunity to put Huet back in: Price has won three games in a row, as he played a good, a great, and a decent game, respectively. It would be inappropriate and short-sighted to put the kid in over the goaltender who has been mostly excellent for us the entire season.

Edited by les_glorieux

I think you have to go with Huet. He's come up big in games after he's been out for a few. I'm sure he's greatly benefited from the rest, and playing Price three games in four days wouldn't be a good move. This is the perfect opportunity to put Huet back in: Price has won three games in a row, as he played a good, a great, and a decent game, respectively. It would be inappropriate and short-sighted to put the kid in over the goaltender who has been mostly excellent for us the entire season.

Well said!

pretty convincing argument... now I wouldn't fault Carbo for either choice.

Price said during an interview yesterday that he was tired.

That would clinch it for me if I were Carbo....your goaltender is telling you he's tired, your decision has already been made IMO: give Huet the next game. If he's anything less than great, come back with Price the game after.

How nice it is to dominate the Flyers. I hate them.

It's very nice. I hate them as much as I hate the pooh-Bears, the Leaves and the Devils.

That was another great game to watch. I love this team, they put on a show most nights. Kovalev was really having fun out there, you could tell. And Plex was on from the puck drop, he made some great passes and it was only a matter of time before he set up a goal. I was pissed that Ryder was out on the PP at first, but then he made some good passes and shots. Despite the bad year he's had, he seems to have kept a good attitude.

Price was great again, he wasn't spectacular but he got the job done. I love how he shoves the Flyers out of his crease, I think it helps a lot to have a big strong guy in goal just like any other position.

Man, the Bouillon goal was great! The Flyers are such morons, letting us go on a 2-1 rush so they can push around Gorges, and that was a good heads up play of his to not fight and let us have our scoring chance. I was shouting at the TV for Bouillon to shoot as the time was winding down, and he wired it.

The main difference in this game was the play of our defense versus theirs. Philly has some big problems on the blueline, they were AWOL on the Ryder goal especially. Our D was solid as usual, we got 3 good pairings.

I will be furious if Huet starts it is the time to win games and the Rangers are a team Huet can not beat this year. That last game he let in a really soft 2nd goal which broke the Canadiens back.

I will be furious if Huet starts it is the time to win games and the Rangers are a team Huet can not beat this year. That last game he let in a really soft 2nd goal which broke the Canadiens back.

I hear you. Whatever Carbo decides I'll be good with. The whole "I'm tired thing" Guys!!!!!!! lame ass excuse ....plus he gets a day-off today. I get he played hard and faced a lot of shots but I can't believe you guys are all " Ya, baby's tired, let's give him a wittle rest" F**CK THAT!!!! He's not Five. He's twenty years old and playing great.

What's he going to do in the play-offs when it's two on,..... two off with possible over times that go into the next morning or west coast battles.......Please!

I hear you. Whatever Carbo decides I'll be good with. The whole "I'm tired thing" Guys!!!!!!! lame ass excuse ....plus he gets a day-off today. I get he played hard and faced a lot of shots but I can't believe you guys are all " Ya, baby's tired, let's give him a wittle rest" F**CK THAT!!!! He's not Five. He's twenty years old and playing great.

What's he going to do in the play-offs when it's two on,..... two off with possible over times that go into the next morning or west coast battles.......Please!

They no longer play back to backs in the playoffs very often.