Permanent Rumour Thread

Fanpuck33

6 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

Hmm.  Dobes is going to be in Laval so the only reason to sign another goalie is if they think Primeau won't make it through waivers.

Or that they want to move on from him regardless.

• 2 weeks later...

Heard rumoured that Pens or Carolina is likely destination for Karlsson.

Short term good for one of them, but will be costly I assume and all we can hope is for a stupid crazy cost (to prospect pool/depth/cap), if Grier also willing to eat a bunch of the $11.5m/yr?

31 minutes ago, DON said:

Heard rumoured that Pens or Carolina is likely destination for Karlsson.

Short term good for one of them, but will be costly I assume and all we can hope is for a stupid crazy cost (to prospect pool/depth/cap), if Grier also willing to eat a bunch of the $11.5m/yr?

I'm not expecting much of a significant return, to be honest.  It's probably going to somewhat resemble the Brent Burns return from a year ago.  San Jose is open to retaining some money but not anywhere close to the maximum of 50%.

The thing I find irritating about the Karlsson contract is that it was stupid at the time, and everyone could see that it was stupid EXCEPT Karlsson and San Jose.

SJ were in denial of their disintegration as perennial contenders: “if we just sign this guy, maybe we can hang in there…” Falling right into the classic trap of not accepting that you’ve aged out. And Karlsson said he wanted to go to a contender, then proceeds to sign with a club that was very plainly in terminal decline.

It’s amazing how dumb franchises can be. And I observe all too frequently that players tend to rely on stereotypes about other teams. “Oh, SJ has been a contender for a decade, that’s where I wanna be!!” Duh. 🙄

1 hour ago, dlbalr said:

I'm not expecting much of a significant return, to be honest.  It's probably going to somewhat resemble the Brent Burns return from a year ago.  San Jose is open to retaining some money but not anywhere close to the maximum of 50%.

That's likely the case, $11.5M for the next 4 years makes it a tremendously difficult contract to trade in this salary cap world. Not sure how they make it work. San Jose is already eating 2.72M for the next 2 years in the Burns deal, agree that they won't do 50% of $11.5M for the next 4 years unless the return was really significant and Pittsburgh prospect pool is pretty thin. I just don't see a deal with Pittsburgh, there might be other teams in a better position to give San Jose what they want. 

9 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

The thing I find irritating about the Karlsson contract is that it was stupid at the time, and everyone could see that it was stupid EXCEPT Karlsson and San Jose.

Was Karlsson actually stupid? Or just taking advantage of stupid?

14 hours ago, tomh009 said:

Was Karlsson actually stupid? Or just taking advantage of stupid?

If the most important thing to him was to go to a winner, it was stupid.

If he was more interested in just going for the big pay day and living on the west coast, than he did a great job of taking advantage of the Shark’s stupidity.

If he thought he was getting all three he was stupid.

2 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

If the most important thing to him was to go to a winner, it was stupid.

If he was more interested in just going for the big pay day and living on the east coast, than he did a great job of taking advantage of the Shark’s stupidity.

If he thought he was getting all three he was stupid.

At the time Karlsson went to SJS on the WEST coast (😉) the team had had 98-99-100 points the previous three seasons, made the playoffs 13 out of the previous 14 seasons, were two seasons removed from the Finals ... it was not unreasonable to think that adding Karlsson would make them serious Cup contenders ... but then Karlsson started to have injury issues.

6 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

At the time Karlsson went to SJS on the WEST coast (😉) the team had had 98-99-100 points the previous three seasons, made the playoffs 13 out of the previous 14 seasons, were two seasons removed from the Finals ... it was not unreasonable to think that adding Karlsson would make them serious Cup contenders ... but then Karlsson started to have injury issues.

Sorry meant west coast. Will correct. If you look at the age of their core, they were going to crash hard. In a year or two.

maybe  he thought he could be there for one or two last chances before th lineup aged out, but it wasn’t a team to be signing an 8 year deal with, if your priority is winning.

7 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Sorry meant west coast. Will correct. If you look at the age of their core, they were going to crash hard. In a year or two.

maybe  he thought he could be there for one or two last chances before th lineup aged out, but it wasn’t a team to be signing an 8 year deal with, if your priority is winning.

Winning a Cup can make a re-tool/rebuild more tolerable when the weather is that nice.

2 hours ago, GHT120 said:

Winning a Cup can make a re-tool/rebuild more tolerable when the weather is that nice.

And simply an upgrade on Ottawa at least?

• 1 month later...

Interesting how teams can be very careful in keeping or trading their assets and others seem to give up a lot for little in return.

I just read a report suggesting which teams have improved the most this summer and in the article the writer listed a few teams and what players had been moved out and which had been brought in.

I couldn't help but notice what we have received from Pittsburgh just in the past year. Pittsburgh traded Mike Matheson to Montreal for Jeff Petry and Ryan Poehling. This summer Pittsburgh moved out Jeff Petry and Ryan Poehling to make room for Erik Karlsson. So Pittsburgh gave up Mike Matheson, Jeff Petry and Ryan Poehling. 

Just from a Montreal perspective we received from Pittsburgh in the past year, Mike Matheson, a 4th round pick in 2023, Jeff Petry (back again & then traded for), a 2025 2nd round pick (Pittsburgh's), solid backup goalie Casey DeSmith, Nathan Legare.  

Looking at it from a Montreal viewpoint, we gave up Ryan Poehling and we received back Mike Matheson, Jeff Petry, Casey DeSmith, Nathan Legare, a 4th round pick and a 2nd round pick. So far we have all of those assets except for Jeff Petry. 

A very good one-sided trade from my perspective. I think we received the best player in Mike Matheson, plus a 2nd and 4th round pick, plus a solid # 2 goalie and a depth defenceman. 

No matter how you look at it from a Montreal perspective, we came out way ahead. 

• 2 weeks later...

I did not know this.

LeBrun and Russo: Are Hellebuyck and Scheifele staying put? Plus other rumblings from NHL GM meetings - The Athletic

"Remember, Utah Jazz owner Ryan Smith is waiting in Salt Lake City with open arms if the Coyotes can’t resolve this over the next few months."

On 8/28/2023 at 10:08 AM, REV-G said:

Interesting how teams can be very careful in keeping or trading their assets and others seem to give up a lot for little in return.

I just read a report suggesting which teams have improved the most this summer and in the article the writer listed a few teams and what players had been moved out and which had been brought in.

I couldn't help but notice what we have received from Pittsburgh just in the past year. Pittsburgh traded Mike Matheson to Montreal for Jeff Petry and Ryan Poehling. This summer Pittsburgh moved out Jeff Petry and Ryan Poehling to make room for Erik Karlsson. So Pittsburgh gave up Mike Matheson, Jeff Petry and Ryan Poehling. 

Just from a Montreal perspective we received from Pittsburgh in the past year, Mike Matheson, a 4th round pick in 2023, Jeff Petry (back again & then traded for), a 2025 2nd round pick (Pittsburgh's), solid backup goalie Casey DeSmith, Nathan Legare.  

Looking at it from a Montreal viewpoint, we gave up Ryan Poehling and we received back Mike Matheson, Jeff Petry, Casey DeSmith, Nathan Legare, a 4th round pick and a 2nd round pick. So far we have all of those assets except for Jeff Petry. 

A very good one-sided trade from my perspective. I think we received the best player in Mike Matheson, plus a 2nd and 4th round pick, plus a solid # 2 goalie and a depth defenceman. 

No matter how you look at it from a Montreal perspective, we came out way ahead. 

Pittsburgh is in classic “contender” mode. In fact, they are a special subset of that mode, which we might call the “desperate contender looking at a rapidly-closing window.” I don’t think they give a tinker’s damn about asset management. Karlsson is a 101-point defenceman (!!!) and I think that’s the only thing they care about in this entire file. 

What would worry me if I were a Pens fan is that that season was a crazy, ridiculous outlier for Karlsson, who failed to top 45 points in any of the preceding four, injury-plagued seasons. It’s far from clear that Karlsson is really a better overall piece than Matheson. So Pittsburgh threw away a very fine, late-blooming #2-3 puck-moving D-man as part of this desperate quest for Stud D-Men (Petry, Eriksson). But again, from their POV, it’s all about the latter’s 101 points. They’re gambling that he is back. It’s a huge and somewhat desperate gamble from a team that has no tomorrow. 

2 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Pittsburgh is in classic “contender” mode. In fact, they are a special subset of that mode, which we might call the “desperate contender looking at a rapidly-closing window.” I don’t think they give a tinker’s damn about asset management. Karlsson is a 101-point defenceman (!!!) and I think that’s the only thing they care about in this entire file. 

There is no doubt about that. Pittsburgh has a 1-2 year window and then it should be a dry spell for a while unless Dubas is a magician which I don't think he is.  Dubas had a decision to make, go hard or rebuild. There was no in between. He decided to go hard. I think Pittsburgh's core is too old for 4 grueling rounds of playoffs but we will see. They might have 1 year of magic left.

I was a little surprised by Matheson's production last year. It was his best point total ever despite playing only 48 games on a weaker team. Maybe he has found his game. If he has then that trade is an absolute steal. 

4 hours ago, DON said:

I did not know this.

LeBrun and Russo: Are Hellebuyck and Scheifele staying put? Plus other rumblings from NHL GM meetings - The Athletic

"Remember, Utah Jazz owner Ryan Smith is waiting in Salt Lake City with open arms if the Coyotes can’t resolve this over the next few months."

I think they are moving.  They will announce it a few days after the Coyotes season ends though.  Want to keep hope to sell this year's tickets and avoid ugly things in the stands. 

1 minute ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

There is no doubt about that. Pittsburgh has a 1-2 year window and then it should be a dry spell for a while unless Dubas is a magician which I don't think he is.  Dubas had a decision to make, go hard or rebuild. There was no in between. He decided to go hard. I think Pittsburgh's core is too old for 4 grueling rounds of playoffs but we will see. They might have 1 year of magic left.

I was a little surprised by Matheson's production last year. It was his best point total ever despite playing only 48 games on a weaker team. Maybe he has found his game. If he has then that trade is an absolute steal. 

Even if he doesn't score at quite that pace, with his skating ability, he opens up so much for the team.  Undeniably the number 1 defender on the team and someone the kids can learn from (especially guys like Mailloux, Hutson, Barron, Engstrom) whose games are based on puck moving.

5 hours ago, Commandant said:

I think they are moving.  They will announce it a few days after the Coyotes season ends though.  Want to keep hope to sell this year's tickets and avoid ugly things in the stands. 

I hope so. I'm pretty sick of this endless, pathetic Coyotes drama

• 2 months later...

While discussion goaltending options for the Oilers, Chris Johnson said “Like, you know, Sam Montembeault, not going to be extended.”

I haven’t seen anything other than this suggesting he wasn’t being extended.

13 hours ago, TurdBurglar said:

While discussion goaltending options for the Oilers, Chris Johnson said “Like, you know, Sam Montembeault, not going to be extended.”

I haven’t seen anything other than this suggesting he wasn’t being extended.

IMO it will all depend on what he thinks he is worth.