Permanent Rumour Thread

Fanpuck33

4 hours ago, GHT120 said:

Very fair question ... but her "management experience" is less than a year ... and it is in player development, not contracts, drafting/scouting or trade-related (which is not to say she may not have had input in those areas) ... she likely needs a bit more experience and perhaps to diversify into more mainstream GM roles ... but given a couple of more years she absolutely should be on every GM search list ... but if it was a recently retired NHL all-time great they likley would at least get consideration.

Yzerman had to apprentice for 4 years before he got a shot. He also got experience managing teams for Hockey Canada before become a GM in the NHL.

5 hours ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Yzerman had to apprentice for 4 years before he got a shot. He also got experience managing teams for Hockey Canada before become a GM in the NHL.

He got interviews in less than 4 years.

You usuallya have to interview a few times before being offered your first GM job.

I was saying Haley should be interviewed.

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, DON said:

Salt Lake City, Houston, or Atlanta, possible landing spot for the Coyotes?

I think it will be SLC.

Houston and Atlanta are likely expansion down the road 

• Like 1

image.pnghttps://twitter.com/FriedgeHNIC/status/1666138185687265281?s=20

Contract Status:
Cal Petersen has 2 yrs @ $5M remaining
Ivan Provorov has 2 yrs @ $6.75M remaining 

Columbus has no comparable 2-yr contracts ... so who knows.

32 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

Can’t see it at all. 

Montembault had a great season and was really great for Canada. 

Oilers maybe?

The pedigree is Careyesque.

And we have a history with goalies of his ilk.

He'd be leaving a toxic environment.

Idk.

It smells like something Hughes would do.

He's had two good seasons (2019-2020 and 2022-2023) and two terrible ones in between. He might be better than Allen, but he might also be worse. The positives are that he's young and only signed for one more season but is that enough? I don't think I would do this, even assuming that they can move Allen.

1 hour ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

... Montembault had a great season and was really great for Canada ...

One season doth not necessarily a solution make ... in any event, Allen isn't (IMO) in the mix when his contract is up after next season and I have as much confidence in Primeau as I do in my chances of winning the LottoMax tonight ... so the habs need some near-term help in goal.

Also, Hart is younger and has had more NHL success than SM so makes sense to me to let them go head-to-head.

18 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

He's had two good seasons (2019-2020 and 2022-2023) and two terrible ones in between. He might be better than Allen, but he might also be worse. The positives are that he's young and only signed for one more season but is that enough? I don't think I would do this, even assuming that they can move Allen.

His 18/19 season wasn't bad either.

8 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

His 18/19 season wasn't bad either.

True. But the massive drop in between doesn't inspire confidence. Hughes may see things differently, of course.

Montembeault is not a sure thing, either, but he has been improving his play (as measured by GSAx) every season.

25 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

True. But the massive drop in between doesn't inspire confidence. Hughes may see things differently, of course.

Montembeault is not a sure thing, either, but he has been improving his play (as measured by GSAx) every season.

But last season was a RIDICULOUS one-season GSAx improvement by Montembeault ... not really part of a pattern of progression ... so I remain skeptic. 

35 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

Carey price had bad years at the same age.  So did Patrick Roy who lost his starting job to Hayward in 88.  So have other young goalies.

Depending on trade price, Id absolutely love Hart ans Monty as 1a/1b.  Many teams are going to the 1a/1b situation too.

I would love to see Hart and Montembeault battle it out to be the starter.  With Hart having a year left and being a RFA, it’s not really a high risk trade.  The real question is what will cost.

18 minutes ago, TurdBurglar said:

The real question is what will cost.

At 24 Hart is not TOO far removed from the 'Dach' scenario of a young-ish player who has fallen out of favour with his original team. I think that's why a lot of Spider-senses are tingling regarding HuGo being a possible player in such a deal. Also, the Habs have an obvious need for a longer-term goalie fix, unless we want to bet the house on Monty. I like Monty, but wouldn't take that bet. 

On the other hand, Allen/Monty is an OK tandem that probably gives us another couple of years to find a longer-term answer. So there is no urgent need to pounce on Hart.

The real trouble is that the Flyers are rebuilding, and so are we. They'll want picks, prospects. As a rebuilding team, we shouldn't be giving those up. That's why trades between two rebuilding teams are seldom logical fit.

One thought is that WiFi is almost a prototypical 'Flyers' player (although whether Briere is prone to such thinking is another question). And we traded a similar player in Romy to get Dach. So maybe he could be a key component in a Hart-to-Habs trade. This is all just wild speculation, though.

3 hours ago, GHT120 said:

One season doth not necessarily a solution make ... in any event, Allen isn't (IMO) in the mix when his contract is up after next season and I have as much confidence in Primeau as I do in my chances of winning the LottoMax tonight ... so the habs need some near-term help in goal.

Also, Hart is younger and has had more NHL success than SM so makes sense to me to let them go head-to-head.

Allen has two years left on a deal that doesn't start for a few more weeks.  While I understand the logic in going after someone like Hart, I also understand that management might not want to move a player they just extended before his contract begins, removing any hope of moving him at the trade deadline.  Those things aren't looked on too favourably by players and agents.  Unless Allen's moved to a spot he really wants to go to, I think there would be some behind the scenes repercussions from moving him this early.

1 hour ago, dlbalr said:

Allen has two years left on a deal that doesn't start for a few more weeks.  While I understand the logic in going after someone like Hart, I also understand that management might not want to move a player they just extended before his contract begins, removing any hope of moving him at the trade deadline.  Those things aren't looked on too favourably by players and agents.  Unless Allen's moved to a spot he really wants to go to, I think there would be some behind the scenes repercussions from moving him this early.

Party pooper!!

Why you gotta be a voice of reason??

Around 0:20, after 2 annoying ads ... Pat Brisson advises Jets that PLD does not want to sign an extension, or a one year bridge, and would prefer to work on a trade ... no talk of destination(s).

1 hour ago, Commandant said:

Hes gonna get traded for a 2nd rounder, mike Hoffman and a ham sandwich.

Any leverage Winnipeg had is being taken away.

Isn't he worth more than that to other teams as a rental player at the trade deadline?  Or before the draft?  Even if Dubois doesn't want to sign with an acquiring team, that team can still take him to arbitration and force a contract, taking him as a one-year rental.  It's not without its risks but the centre market is terrible this year so I have to think there are teams that will view him as a better option than any UFA out there and pay a reasonably high price to do so.

1 hour ago, Commandant said:

Hes gonna get traded for a 2nd rounder, mike Hoffman and a ham sandwich.

I think we might need to pay more. At least give the Jets a Schwartz's smoked meat sandwich!

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, dlbalr said:

Isn't he worth more than that to other teams as a rental player at the trade deadline?  Or before the draft?  Even if Dubois doesn't want to sign with an acquiring team, that team can still take him to arbitration and force a contract, taking him as a one-year rental.  It's not without its risks but the centre market is terrible this year so I have to think there are teams that will view him as a better option than any UFA out there and pay a reasonably high price to do so.

I thought the "ham sandwich" would have shown the sarcasm, my bad.