Permanent Rumour Thread

Fanpuck33

2 hours ago, Helmethead said:

Now anyone know what the hell is happening in Chicago with Perry??

They're being cryptic AF. 

Both he and Mrazek missed practice today. 

That reeks of Edmonton. 

No clue, but I agree that it sounds like the Oils might be trying to make a deal with the Hawks. 

Personally, I somewhat hope that HuGo is going after Perry.  I wanted the Habs to sign him but most people here said how dumb that would be but within a day the Hawks listened to an internal arm-chair GM.  It was Richardson's idea to target Perry due to how great he was with the Habs prospects that the Hawks traded for his rights so they could sign him. 

Perry is an experienced vet that is still producing decent #'s so it makes sense that he could be somebody that the Oils might want to target but the Hawks would have to retain his salary.  

I did see a rumour for the Habs to trade Pearson for Perry because they have similar AAV.  However, I'm unsure if I would do that because Pearson is also a vet that is putting up decent #'s so he is someone that I would consider brining back for the right price.

18 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

My thinking is that prospects may be managed like a stock portfolio where you pickup as many assets considering the projected value that player may gain by the time he is ready to join the NHL roster. Of course, present value and current success is no warrant of future fit to the team's needs.

Sometimes, teams may pickup the "best player available", sometimes they may pick based on "team needs", and sometimes they may take a "safe pick". or: "bluechip", "portolio-balancing" and "value" picks.

Even in a stock portfolio, you should generally ignore what your cost was on a particular stock (although that may impact capital gains taxes, which are not a consideration for NHL player management). You should not be selling a stock you own because you have unrealized gains (ie it's worth more than you paid for it) or because you have unrealized losses (it's gone down since you bought it): you should be selling the stocks that are not going to be profitable for you, and keeping the ones that will be profitable. This could mean either that they are expected to go up (e.g. player trade value is expected to increase) or that they will pay a dividend etc while you keep them (e.g. the players will produce for the team while you keep them).

The point is that the acquisition cost has little significance, whether you are managing a stock portfolio or an NHL team.

• Upvote 1

Foligno on how the team can try to prevent Corey Perry situation from becoming distraction: "We've got a lot of young guys, so it's kind of a shock at first. But it's being a pro. We talk about it and this is an opportunity to do that. It's the outside noise that you have to push away, whether it's this or anything else that's going on in your life. There's a job to do when you come to the rink."

Doesnt sound like he's been traded.  Sounds more serious than that.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Foligno on how the team can try to prevent Corey Perry situation from becoming distraction: "We've got a lot of young guys, so it's kind of a shock at first. But it's being a pro. We talk about it and this is an opportunity to do that. It's the outside noise that you have to push away, whether it's this or anything else that's going on in your life. There's a job to do when you come to the rink."

Doesnt sound like he's been traded.  Sounds more serious than that.

My first thought was a trade but it does sound more serious. Perhaps Perry isn't happy playing for a non-contender this late in his career but it was his decision to sign there. 

11 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

My first thought was a trade but it does sound more serious. Perhaps Perry isn't happy playing for a non-contender this late in his career but it was his decision to sign there. 

When they signed him I figured part of the reason was to trade him at the deadline anyway.  i.e. they gave up a low pick to sign him and they'll end up with a higher pick when they move him.  Perry is a vet and he is definitely a pro in that sense.  ex: he didn't have any issues being a healthy scratch when he was with the Habs.  I'll be surprised if Perry is acting out and complaining about being with the Hawks.

1 hour ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

Another difference is the Oilers have an extra 6 weeks than the Blues did. The Oilers defense was good enough to get to the Stanley Cup semi final but now they are terrible? The Oilers do need better goaltending.  Maybe somebody will emerge like Binnington did.  The Oilers have some challenges for sure, just saying it's far too early to count them out. 

They weren’t good - they were good enough enough with their offense, and were  getting better goaltending. Even than there were some pretty high scoring games in which you had McDavid playing ridiculous minutes. 

47 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

They weren’t good - they were good enough enough with their offense, and were  getting better goaltending. Even than there were some pretty high scoring games in which you had McDavid playing ridiculous minutes. 

This season, even with McDavid and Draisatl, they’ve scored fewer goals than the Habs.

28 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

This season, even with McDavid and Draisatl, they’ve scored fewer goals than the Habs.

That is true. They have scored 10 less goals than Arizona??  The Oiler's offense is worse, their defense is worse, Skinner played way better last year. His save % last year was .914 (very respectable), this year it's .865, so many facets of their game are a lot worse that it's got to be more than just a lack of talent in certain areas. Something has gone wrong with the Oilers that hasn't been figured out yet. The new coach honeymoon seems to be over. 

1 hour ago, hab29RETIRED said:

No question they were getting better goaltending last year, as mentioned in my previous post Skinner had way better stats last year and that is certainly a big part of the problem. I think the Oilers make a trade for a goalie in the next week or two. That is probably a Captain Obvious statement. 

Hmm, interesting rumour: Habs and CBJ in discussions regarding the recently benched Laine.  Apparently CBJ wants: Mesar , Struble, Owen beck , + picks.  For those players I don't think I would do it - certainly not Beck anyway and I unsure if I would move Struble either.  I think Harris might be the better d-man to get rid of. 

I'd try getting Laine with just picks because the Habs already have a ton of prospects and an abundance of picks in next draft.  I'd offer them a 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and possibly a 4th.  When they say no start to increase the lower picks.  1st, 2nd, 3rd, and a two 4th's; then 1st, 2nd, two 3rd's, and two 4th's; then 1st, two 2nd's, two 3rd's, and two 4th's.  If it gets to two 1st's drop the all the lower picks; if they still say no start adding the lower picks back.  two 1sts + 2nd; then two 1st's, two 2nds, etc up to two 1st, two 2nds, and two 3rds - but that offer would have to include more coming to the Habs.  

If HuGo is talking to CBJ I hope he is also asking for Voronkov who is disgruntled playing there and has recently said he wants to go back to Russia.  He's huge at 6'5" 240 lbs and apparently he has decent skills and was drafted in the 4th rnd so their ask for him could be reasonable.

After the Dubois ordeal and how he claimed he wanted to play for the Habs it would be ironic for the Habs end up with Laine.  

40 minutes ago, Sir_Boagalott said:

If HuGo is talking to CBJ I hope he is also asking for Voronkov who is disgruntled playing there and has recently said he wants to go back to Russia.  He's huge at 6'5" 240 lbs and apparently he has decent skills and was drafted in the 4th rnd so their ask for him could be reasonable.

Voronkov? The guy who boarded Xhekaj and head-checked Harris, both in the same game? I saw no skill in his game, only uncontrolled violence.

54 minutes ago, Sir_Boagalott said:

Hmm, interesting rumour: Habs and CBJ in discussions regarding the recently benched Laine.  Apparently CBJ wants: Mesar , Struble, Owen beck , + picks.  For those players I don't think I would do it - certainly not Beck anyway and I unsure if I would move Struble either.  I think Harris might be the better d-man to get rid of. 

I'd try getting Laine with just picks because the Habs already have a ton of prospects and an abundance of picks in next draft.  I'd offer them a 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and possibly a 4th.  When they say no start to increase the lower picks.  1st, 2nd, 3rd, and a two 4th's; then 1st, 2nd, two 3rd's, and two 4th's; then 1st, two 2nd's, two 3rd's, and two 4th's.  If it gets to two 1st's drop the all the lower picks; if they still say no start adding the lower picks back.  two 1sts + 2nd; then two 1st's, two 2nds, etc up to two 1st, two 2nds, and two 3rds - but that offer would have to include more coming to the Habs.  

After the Dubois ordeal and how he claimed he wanted to play for the Habs it would be ironic for the Habs end up with Laine.  

As long as the picks aren't 1st, I'd do that trade in a heartbeat.  He's still a PPG player, 25 and under contract for 2 more years.  I would imagine salary would have to go back to make it work.  Maybe this is finally Anderson's trade?  Would probably have to throw in Pearson to realistically make it work.

2 minutes ago, TurdBurglar said:

As long as the picks aren't 1st, I'd do that trade in a heartbeat.  He's still a PPG player, 25 and under contract for 2 more years.  I would imagine salary would have to go back to make it work.  Maybe this is finally Anderson's trade?  Would probably have to throw in Pearson to realistically make it work.

Kekäläinen has already learned the "Anderson lesson" ... doubt he wants him.

That is one hella rumour!

Laine is 25, one year older than Slick Nick, so I guess still within the bounds of the rebuild window. He would obviously address the concern about whether we have enough elite FW talent in the system.

It’s not a crazy proposition. 

I’m skeptical, though, because rumours involving huge names and the Habs so rarely come to pass. The Habs and TO are the two ultimate ‘click bait’ franchises.

2 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

That is one hella rumour!

Laine is 25, one year older than Slick Nick, so I guess still within the bounds of the rebuild window. He would obviously address the concern about whether we have enough elite FW talent in the system.

It’s not a crazy proposition. 

I’m skeptical, though, because rumours involving huge names and the Habs so rarely come to pass. The Habs and TO are the two ultimate ‘click bait’ franchises.

That is one helluva rumour plus there is the minor detail of you fit 8.7M/year into the salary cap. Certainly interesting to speculate about. 

7 hours ago, tomh009 said:

Even in a stock portfolio, you should generally ignore what your cost was on a particular stock (although that may impact capital gains taxes, which are not a consideration for NHL player management). You should not be selling a stock you own because you have unrealized gains (ie it's worth more than you paid for it) or because you have unrealized losses (it's gone down since you bought it): you should be selling the stocks that are not going to be profitable for you, and keeping the ones that will be profitable. This could mean either that they are expected to go up (e.g. player trade value is expected to increase) or that they will pay a dividend etc while you keep them (e.g. the players will produce for the team while you keep them).

The point is that the acquisition cost has little significance, whether you are managing a stock portfolio or an NHL team.

good points, I agree that selling for sake of selling and trading just because a player is valuable is not smart. There is a time to do them.

Where does this rumour come from. 

of course we can discuss all rumours, but i'm gonna put more credence into something from a Freidmann or lebrun level reporter than i'm going to put into Eklund or jimmy murphy or people with that track record.

On 11/23/2023 at 4:45 PM, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

Time will tell the details.

• 2 weeks later...
7 hours ago, Commandant said:

No i dont think Seattle will do that.  I just posted something i thought would be funny.

I mean if we get a 2nd rounder for allen, take it and run.

*** IF *** Seattle was willing to part with Wright in such a trade it might almost give HuGo pause about whether they even want him.

Seattle has a bit of an issue in making trades in that they have a NMC, two NTC and 10 M-NTCs on their NHL roster ... plus Dreiger in the minors.