Permanent Rumour Thread

Fanpuck33

1 hour ago, tomh009 said:

I expect this would be the primary focus as most 18yo D-men are still multiple eyars away from the NHL.

Not always multiple years. It's not also easy to find teams willing to give up top 4 right handed D in a trade. Unless you are willing to pay a premium. 

1 hour ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

Mailloux for? 

Mailloux, CC and Winnipeg's first for Zegras and Ducks #1 ... as an opening offer

18 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

Mailloux, CC and Winnipeg's first for Zegras and Ducks #1 ... as an opening offer

That is an interesting trade proposal. It certainly gives Anaheim something they are looking for. To get something you have to give something up and CC is certainly a very good piece. This is actually one of the better trade proposals I have seen as it made me think a lot about who is getting the better deal. I think it's pretty fair. Well thought out. 

I would think both teams want to see how the ping pong balls fall before entertaining something like this. 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

23 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

That is an interesting trade proposal. It certainly gives Anaheim something they are looking for. To get something you have to give something up and CC is certainly a very good piece. This is actually one of the better trade proposals I have seen as it made me think a lot about who is getting the better deal. I think it's pretty fair. Well thought out. 

I would think both teams want to see how the ping pong balls fall before entertaining something like this. 

This is indeed an interesting offer. 

Ducks get their RD and top 6 forward 

Habs get a replacement for CC and a top player from this draft. 

Actually seems fair 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GHT120 said:

I would NEVER even CONSIDER that. That is a massive overpayment, when Caufield may end up being the better player.

1 hour ago, hab29RETIRED said:

I would NEVER even CONSIDER that. That is a massive overpayment, when Caufield may end up being the better player.

Depends on how HuGo evaluate all the pieces of the proposed trade ... you don't get a guaranteed Top 5 pick and a former 9th overall pick without giving up someone/thing that ***MAY*** end up being a better player than what you receive ... it is the nature of a big trade.

3 hours ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

As interesting as it may be there is no way Hugo trade CC.  

5 hours ago, GHT120 said:

Ewwww.... not a fan of giving up CC in the deal and still on the wrong end of the 3 for 2

3 hours ago, hab29RETIRED said:

I don't think it's a massive overpayment. The #3 pick could turn out to be an absolute stud. 

10 hours ago, GHT120 said:

Depends on how HuGo evaluate all the pieces of the proposed trade ... you don't get a guaranteed Top 5 pick and a former 9th overall pick without giving up someone/thing that ***MAY*** end up being a better player than what you receive ... it is the nature of a big trade.

I didn’t notice that you included the ducks’s top 5 pick - high isn’t as big of an overpay. I’d still be hesitant in trading a guy who still looks to be at least a future 40 goal scorer AND has shown signs of becoming a more complete player, for a guy who was drafted higher, but may not be the better player.

I think a deal like this could come back to haunt us like the Leclair/Desjardins deal did.

9 hours ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

I don't think it's a massive overpayment. The #3 pick could turn out to be an absolute stud. 

Could. Or not. And Zegras may be a consistent 60-70 point player, or not. I have higher confidence that Caufield will still improve as he matures, and can score 30-40 goals and 80+ points.

It's an interesting proposal, but I'm really not keen on giving up Caufield (with better growth prospects and better attitude) for Zegras. Of course, Hughes is unlikely to be calling me for trade advice! 🤪

1 hour ago, hab29RETIRED said:

I think a deal like this could come back to haunt us like the Leclair/Desjardins deal did.

If a "big" trade proposal doesn't have a reasonable potential to come back and haunt you then it isn't anywhere near a reasonable trade proposal.

24 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

If a "big" trade proposal doesn't have a reasonable potential to come back and haunt you then it isn't anywhere near a reasonable trade proposal.

Not sure what rumour was about this, but basically Zegras for Caufield? Why?

Dont think adding more draft picks is Hughes big focus, more young NHL-ready kids maybe.

11 minutes ago, DON said:

Not sure what rumour was about this, but basically Zegras for Caufield? Why?

Dont think adding more draft picks is Hughes big focus, more young NHL-ready kids maybe.

Hardly Zegras for Caufield ... a guaranteed "Top 5" pick in a top-end, deep draft is a little better than "more draft picks".

59 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

I'm really not keen on giving up Caufield (with better growth prospects and better attitude) for Zegras.

Whether or not it is a good idea ... it is a "little bit" more than Caufield for Zegras.

15 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

Whether or not it is a good idea ... it is a "little bit" more than Caufield for Zegras.

It's a lot more than Caufield for Zegras.  If you break this trade down into 2 components. 

a)  Caulfield for Zegras

b)  Mailloux and Winnipeg's pick for the #3 pick

I think you would do part b) all day long.   But you would probably not do part a)

Overall I think it's a fair deal. I know everyone on this board would like to give up a couple tugboats for a battleship but that's not how it works. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, GHT120 said:

Me no likey.

As broken down earlier in another post, I wouldn’t do CC for Zegras.  We have a known commodity in CC, who has excellent chemistry with our captain and future stud Slaf.  He is an excellent team player who has shown to rise to big occasions, he has the desire to improve his all around game and the ability/work ethic to do it, so I believe he has the same high end offensive potential as Zegras but will be a better 200 foot player, better teammate, better playoff performer.  I take the known commodity all day long, Zegras made some news and highlights, is obv talented but is now tainted by losses after losses, has zero playoff history and a lot of unknowns about his professionalism, personality, work ethic, and “clutch” performance.

We know CC has all of these is spades.  You don’t trade a known performer for potential performer. I’m not shitting on Zegras here, just stating there is a lot of unknowns and his NHL career doesn’t scream difference maker, I hate that he’s been on a loser for so long already as well. The Ducks have had zero internal competition, minimal media exposure, zero expectations.

I see him as below CC, Suzuki and I see Dach and or Newhook becoming a more valuable player than Zegras over course of their careers.  I see Zegras as a lot of sizzle and little steak.

Moving to rest of proposal.

Mailloux is a god damn stud.  He finished tops in AHL d scoring and tied for 7th  overall in scoring in his first season.  Someone he was tied with: Shane Wright. Shane the touted prospect and high pick who could very well represent what you’d get with a top 5 pick.  

Mailloux will be an NHL all star at some point, he will be a 50-60 point dman and if properly paired with someone defensively minded (like Guhle) he will not be a liability.  He is that good and getting better.  His defensive game improved this season and given the limited action he had over prior two seasons, I believe there are strong signs that he has the tools and desire to improve all around.  While he has a flawed past, since he’s been a Hab he has done nothing but prove he has grown and improved, and can play wicked good hockey.  Big. Mobile. Aggressive. Yessir.

And again, why trade a known, high-value commodity with huge potential for a gamble on an even bigger unknown in draft picks? And throw in another pick from our side to boot?

Sorry, but I can shenanigans on this proposal.

Why are people saying this is a fair trade? It’s a foolish move by Habs.

CC and Mailloux are huge parts of the extended playoff/championship push that begins in 25/26 imo.

9 minutes ago, hockeyrealist said:

Mailloux is a god damn stud.  He finished tops in AHL d scoring and tied for 7th  overall in scoring in his first season.  Someone he was tied with: Shane Wright. Shane the touted prospect and high pick who could very well represent what you’d get with a top 5 pick.  

Mailloux will be an NHL all star at some point, he will be a 50-60 point dman and if properly paired with someone defensively minded (like Guhle) he will not be a liability.  He is that good and getting better.  His defensive game improved this season and given the limited action he had over prior two seasons, I believe there are strong signs that he has the tools and desire to improve all around.  While he has a flawed past, since he’s been a Hab he has done nothing but prove he has grown and improved, and can play wicked good hockey.  Big. Mobile. Aggressive. Yessir.

If I was convinced Mailloux would be an all star then perhaps I would not make this trade. I am not as convinced as you are.

If you make this trade

a) you are almost guaranteed to end up with a stud forward at #3 (Demidov or Lindstrom) 

b) you have more choices at #5, a stud defensemen or maybe Iginla, Helenius

c) plus you have Zegras who might be really motivated to prove himself with a new team

It hurts to give up CC but overall this might be a better team. 

Trades like this are fun to talk about.  In any event I do see possibilities of an Anaheim/Montreal trade as they do have pieces that compliment each other. 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, hockeyrealist said:

As broken down earlier in another post, I wouldn’t do CC for Zegras.

Moving to rest of proposal ...

NOBODY would do CC for Zegras (I hope) ... but THAT is not what is proposed ... it is a single, multi-facetted proposal ... it involves giving up the current best NHLer, a D with potential but possible defensive concerns and a late first rounder for a highly skilled NHLer (who HuGo would have to in part assess in terms of what MSL could do with him, as he has done with CC) and a guaranteed TOP 5 pick in a top-end, deep draft.

*** NOT *** suggesting anyone has to like the deal in its entirety or support making it ... but it has to be considered in its entirety ... broken down (as some have done) Montreal would never do the NHLer-for-NHLer aspect and Anaheim would never do the "futures" part ... but as an entirety it is I-M-O a fair proposal that both sides would have to consider.

I think it's a very fair proposal. I see benefits for both sides. 

What I don't want to see happen at the draft this year is when Montreal comes to draft at #5, all the forwards they covet are gone and the BPA is yet another defensemen. Hughes has to make sure that doesn't happen. 

24 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

I think it's a very fair proposal. I see benefits for both sides. 

You think Hughes would consider moving Caufield this year? I dont.

I could see Guhle or Xhekaj as more likely dealt before Caufield and that seems is slim chance also.

26 minutes ago, DON said:

You think Hughes would consider moving Caufield this year? I dont.

I could see Guhle or Xhekaj as more likely dealt before Caufield and that seems is slim chance also.

Nobody believes Caufield is even possibly being traded. 

It was a very interesting proposal In terms of value and would it be worth it. 

I don't think Hughes wants to trade CC, I really like CC but it's actually the best proposal I have seen recently to improve the Habs in my opinion.  Is there a better trade proposal out there that's not one sided in the Habs favour? 

1 minute ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

I don't think Hughes wants to trade CC, I really like CC but it's actually the best proposal I have seen recently to improve the Habs in my opinion.  Is there a better trade proposal out there that's not one sided in the Habs favour? 

I think this trade comes down to what Mailloux turns into. If he becomes a first pairing stud then Habs lose, if he is a bottom pairing guy then Habs win. 

Presuming the Habs draft two high end forwards at pick 3 and 5. 

Definitely an interesting proposal 

15 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

Presuming the Habs draft two high end forwards at pick 3 and 5.

3-ish and 5-ish ... that's maybe 80% probability that the drafted player will play at least 100 games. Or 65% that both of them will play 100 games. Probability of two impact players is considerably lower.

Mailloux-plus for 80% probability of 100+ NHL games? I would generally always take the prospect that has played at least a year since the draft, as the ceiling and floor are much more clear than for an 18yo.

• Upvote 1