Jump to content

Permanent Rumour Thread


Fanpuck33
 Share

Recommended Posts

15 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Yeah. That would be pulling a Milbury - a move that could be as disastrous as when Milbury traded Luongo because he wanted to draft Depietro.

 

Great analogy. There have been worse trades - he committed a couple - but in terms of sheer stupidity that one might top the list.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Replies 21.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

  • dlbalr

    1418

  • The Chicoutimi Cucumber

    1376

  • DON

    913

  • Commandant

    1228

40 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Yeah. That would be pulling a Milbury - a move that could be as disastrous as ...

Of course you would see it this way.

Not a chance in hell it could work out well eh.

 

Dont you ever wake up happy and optimistic?:youpi:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

We would be very fortunate if the 2nd overall pick turns into a player equivalent to what we saw from Caufield in the second half of last season. Such a trade would be a ridiculous pursuit after the bird in the bush when you already have a stellar young player in your hand.

 

That is my feeling.  Caulfield's body of work in the NHL so far  indicates he has a great chance to be a consistent 30-40 goal scorer. And he is still young AND he likes playing in Montreal AND he has good chemistry with Suzuki.  The 2nd overall pick at this point is someone with a lot of potential. Definitely a bird in the hand scenario. I don't think Caulfield is going anywhere. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

54 minutes ago, DON said:

Of course you would see it this way.

Not a chance in hell it could work out well eh.

 

Dont you ever wake up happy and optimistic?:youpi:

 

A silly post. The optimism here is in believing that Caufield has the makings of an elite scoring winger.

 

If Caufield had been drafted in the top-5, no one would even be thinking about such a trade. It's a delusional proposition based entirely on drafting position as opposed to a recognition that the Caufield of the last 40 games of last year is the most exciting rookie the Habs have had in years. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

 

If Caufield had been drafted in the top-5, no one would even be thinking about such a trade. 

 

I agree. It is a concept (quite often used in the investment industry) as "anchoring".  Some people think of Caulfield as a number 15 pick so getting a higher pick for him  may be perceived as getting a good deal. However the reality is his value is much more than a #15 pick based on what he has shown so far. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

 

I agree. It is a concept (quite often used in the investment industry) as "anchoring".  Some people think of Caulfield as a number 15 pick so getting a higher pick for him  may be perceived as getting a good deal. However the reality is his value is much more than a #15 pick based on what he has shown so far. 

A real good example if what you are describing would be someone like Kucherov.  Stating any deal where you get over a 2nd round #58 overall pick is a "good deal" for him.  When in reality anything short of multiple 1st round picks and/or top prospects would be severely undervalue.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, TurdBurglar said:

A real good example if what you are describing would be someone like Kucherov.  Stating any deal where you get over a 2nd round #58 overall pick is a "good deal" for him.  When in reality anything short of multiple 1st round picks and/or top prospects would be severely undervalue.

 

There are a lot of good examples and Kucherov is certainly one of them, Braden Point another one.  Once a player is established it doesn't become as big a deal but for someone like Caulfield who is still early in his career it can be easy to think of him as a #15 pick. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

 

I agree. It is a concept (quite often used in the investment industry) as "anchoring".  Some people think of Caulfield as a number 15 pick so getting a higher pick for him  may be perceived as getting a good deal. However the reality is his value is much more than a #15 pick based on what he has shown so far. 

So far, CC is 2nd in goals for the draft class...not that Hughes would ever deal him this summer. 

 

image.png

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Any news on Luke Richardson?

 

I'll miss him when he is gone

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, DON said:

Of course you would see it this way.

Not a chance in hell it could work out well eh.

 

Dont you ever wake up happy and optimistic?:youpi:

Why would you want to trade a guy who has SHOWN he IS an elite scorer,

for someone who MIGHT become one?? I’m very optimistic that a deal like that has the potential to become as stupid as any trade Milbury has made.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

 

I agree. It is a concept (quite often used in the investment industry) as "anchoring".  Some people think of Caulfield as a number 15 pick so getting a higher pick for him  may be perceived as getting a good deal. However the reality is his value is much more than a #15 pick based on what he has shown so far. 

Yeah, just because a guy was drafted lower doesn’t mean the higher pick will be better. Ask Tampa if they are willing to trade Kucherov for the 2nd overall pick.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

We would be very fortunate if the 2nd overall pick turns into a player equivalent to what we saw from Caufield in the second half of last season. Such a trade would be a ridiculous pursuit after the bird in the bush when you already have a stellar young player in your hand.

 

Exactly, and I feel the identical way in regards to Anderson too.

 

Sure, the Slovak could be a 40+ g guy, but he could also be a 25-30 g guy - basically same pts as Anderson.  In that situation, will he be as physical?  ex:  can he punch Chara in the head so hard that he's instantly dragged to the ice to prevent him from throwing another punch?  If yes, then there is the question of if he will be reasonable with his future contract asks, or will he want 7+ mil/yr?  We know what Anderson brings, so its safer to keep him than go with those unkowns.  

 

I was totally hoping NJ would be interested in Petry, but unfortunately that doesn't seem to be the case.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, hab29RETIRED said:

I’m very optimistic that a deal like that has the potential to become as stupid as any trade Milbury has made.

Good one.:D

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

44 minutes ago, Sir_Boagalott said:

We know what Anderson brings, so its safer to keep him than go with those unkowns.  

 

We also know that Anderson is 28 (10 years older than the 2nd overall pick) and the physical game he plays has a quicker expiry date than some others might have. 

 

I appreciate and like what Anderson brings to the team. I would miss him but if he can help bring an elite prospect then I am OK with it. 

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

 

We also know that Anderson is 28 (10 years older than the 2nd overall pick) and the physical game he plays has a quicker expiry date than some others might have. 

 

I appreciate and like what Anderson brings to the team. I would miss him but if he can help bring an elite prospect then I am OK with it. 

 

I fully agree and said as such in another post.  However, theres no guarantee that the Slovak will be elite.  He could be in same point range as Anderson, but not be as physical.  

 

I view Andersons contract as being fair value, he isnt overpaid or underpaid, but the length of his contract is potentially an issue.  i.e. he could get injured an lose some speed and no longer be able to do his round the outside drive to net move the we all enjoy seeing.  An injury could happen to any player.  

 

I certainly wouldn't give up Anderson and the late 1 rnd pick for the Slovak.  That is way too much because his AAV is decent and its for quite a few years.  This isn't necessarily NJ, but Cap crunched teams should pay a premium for a player with a decent aav that has years on their contract.  ex:  Bolts gave up 2 1st rnd pics for a 3rd liner and a 4th liner - which everyone thought was a crazy over payment, but they both filled a need they had, were signed for around $1 mil and had numerous years on their contracts, and they helped them win 2 Cups in a row with them.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Sir_Boagalott said:

I certainly wouldn't give up Anderson and the late 1 rnd pick for the Slovak. 

 

I would give up Anderson and a late 1st in a heartbeat for an opportunity to draft Slavkofsky.  There are no guarantees Slavkofsky will turn out but I would take that chance.  I guess we will just have to disagree on that.  These boards would be boring if we all had the same opinion.  Cheers

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Sir_Boagalott said:

 

Exactly, and I feel the identical way in regards to Anderson too.

 

Sure, the Slovak could be a 40+ g guy, but he could also be a 25-30 g guy - basically same pts as Anderson.  In that situation, will he be as physical?  ex:  can he punch Chara in the head so hard that he's instantly dragged to the ice to prevent him from throwing another punch?  If yes, then there is the question of if he will be reasonable with his future contract asks, or will he want 7+ mil/yr?  We know what Anderson brings, so its safer to keep him than go with those unkowns.  

 

I was totally hoping NJ would be interested in Petry, but unfortunately that doesn't seem to be the case.  

If Anderson was 23 or 24, you keep him. We are probably at least 2 years away from being a playoff team (depending on what Boston does given their injuries and uncertainty around Bergeron). I’d rather go after guys that are going to part of the core of Suzuki. Caufield, Romanov. I’m hoping at least Guhle, Harris, and our top three picks this year will be like the McDonough, McDonough, Subban draft - or potentially better.  Hopefully we get a high pick - Bedard would be awesome, but probably not realistic.

 

we will need veterans as well, but we need to the young core first, and than can go and get 26-29 year old veterans to part of that young core. I think we currently have too many old guys and that are making too much money. Anderson has value. Gallagher (unless he suddenly finds his game and stays healthy), Hoffman, and Armia have no value. 
 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

38 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Id drive anderson to New Jersey to make that trade.

 

And then Id draft Shane Wright 1st and Simon Nemec 2nd.

Potential #1 centre and #1 dman would be quite the haul. You think Nemac will go that high? I was hoping he’d slide down to 5. Better chance of getting Philly’s pick than NJD.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Commandant said:

Id drive anderson to New Jersey to make that trade.

 

And then Id draft Shane Wright 1st and Simon Nemec 2nd.

 

That trade could very well work out great, but I view Anderson as a unique player because of his skill, size, speed and toughness.  There are quite a few players with similar skill and speed, but notmany with his size and very few with those combined with toughness.  Any players with his skill, speed and size are nowhere near as tough.  ex:  Mathews and Eichel are way more skilled, with similar speed and size, but there is absolutely no comparison in toughness.  I find Armia to be special and he has similar skill, speed and size, but no comparison in toughness.  Players with similar toughness dont compare to Andersons skill or speed.

 

You'd take a dman with the 2nd pick?  Thats interesting.  With the Habs current d prospects I think they could end up with the best top 4 men in the NHL 4-5 years from now.  

 

Part of the point of my joke in my earlier comment about throwing in Suzuki was if I was the GM and only had the 1st pick I would probably just draft the Slovak.  He seems like he could be slightly more skilled than Anderson, has similar size and speed, but I have no idea how tough he is. 

 

Yes, they would still need a C, and this isnt something I would have ever thought of previously, but instead of drafting a C they could trade Petry and go after punk ass Kadri.  I read 1 article and apparently his family and his wives are all big Habs fans so the Habs could probably get him for a discount.  

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

42 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Potential #1 centre and #1 dman would be quite the haul. You think Nemac will go that high? I was hoping he’d slide down to 5. Better chance of getting Philly’s pick than NJD.

 

I have him 3rd on my board and am higher on him than I am on Slafkovsky (who is fourth).

 

My mock draft probably has him at 4 to Seattle.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

32 minutes ago, Sir_Boagalott said:

... I find Armia to be special and he has similar skill, speed and size, but no comparison in toughness ...

He has skills but no consistency in how they are used ... a classic "leaves you wanting more" player

 

34 minutes ago, Sir_Boagalott said:

... they could trade Petry and go after punk ass Kadri.  I read 1 article and apparently his family and his wives are all big Habs fans so the Habs could probably get him for a discount....

 

Nazim will be 32 to start next season ... I doubt Kadri takes much of a discount to come to a high-tax situation, with a rebuilding team that has two (hopefully) high-end young centres ... IMO a Kadri-type veteran (but not necessarily a centre) is a summer 2024 UFA target, when hopefully the team is ready to be a serious playoff contender and the cap issues are as resolved as possible (i.e., Price's deal will still be a cap-anvil, unless he is playing like 2014/15, 2015/16 Carey).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, GHT120 said:

Nazim will be 32 to start next season ... I doubt Kadri takes much of a discount to come to a high-tax situation, with a rebuilding team that has two (hopefully) high-end young centres ... 

 

Agree on that, giving a 32 year old center a big contract does not fit into the rebuild.  It's Kadri's last big contract and it won't be here. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

30 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

 

Agree on that, giving a 32 year old center a big contract does not fit into the rebuild.  It's Kadri's last big contract and it won't be here. 


Speaking of Kadri..

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share




×
×
  • Create New...