Dominic Moore in Montreal

rafikz

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It means NOTHING except a trade of a possible prospect for a player currently in the NHL.

I dont like this trade, i dont think it made us better and i dont really see the need for him..so i think its a waste of a pick..his not going to help us get any closer to the playoffs..he didnt help T.O get there or flo...i think we should of just went with the guys we had and maybe try to use the pick as part of a different deal now or in the off season..

I just dont think it was a smart move as of now...

I am in the camp that you don't toss away picks for nothing. If this is the value of a 2nd round pick, then why trade Huet to get one in a year where you have a legit shot at going deep.

This doesn't make or break PG as a GM, but it is not a good start, imo. This is the kind of move that does nothing but reduce our options at the deadline. We no longer have a 2nd round pick to package up for a real boost to the team. Unless he makes some more moves, this is just a trade for the sake of a trade, but we come out with one less asset.

I am in the camp that you don't toss away picks for nothing. If this is the value of a 2nd round pick, then why trade Huet to get one in a year where you have a legit shot at going deep.

This doesn't make or break PG as a GM, but it is not a good start, imo. This is the kind of move that does nothing but reduce our options at the deadline. We no longer have a 2nd round pick to package up for a real boost to the team. Unless he makes some more moves, this is just a trade for the sake of a trade, but we come out with one less asset.

i totally agree...i cant c how this helps the team......

moore has a good faceoff percentage. He's pretty good defensively and he will probably be cheap next year. I'm hoping he is the start of a shutdown line, which, unlike a lot of you guys, I think this team really needs. This team needs a shutdown line with some guys that can step up and help out when there are injuries, and they need some better skating defensemen so Hill Gill can settle back into 6th or 7th D where he belongs. I' agree that a 2nd rounder is a bit rich but man, you guys are getting a little dramatic don't you think? I have personally been crying and wishing this team had a shutdown line and a centre that could win a freakin faceoff once in a while. I like Moore. I always have. It is a little rich though.

AGREED

Exactly.

Just want to remind you guys: this is a 2nd rounder in 2011 (supposedly a weak year). 2 drafts from now. Plenty of time to get it back if it's that important.

Ahem...the biggest issue with Gainey seemed to be around asset management.

I see nothing in this deal that changes the theory that this GM change has resolved that concern.

Getting it back is NOT the point...the point is that, very simply, Moore is not worth a 2nd round pick. It is another deal that reeks of poor asset management and poor cap management.

Just because someone else overpaid for Moore previously does NOT mean he should still be worth a 2nd round pick.

Does this board overvalue picks? Probably...but I agree with that sentiment.

Is a bottom 6 rental worth a 2nd rounder? Not unless you feel you have depth issues and are already a contending team.

Will a secondary trade make this better? NO! It may mask the stink of it but they would be mutually exclusive.

JMHO.

I don't know guys, I researved my post on this topic until after last nights game. At this point in time, I think the player we got is a fair trade for a pick that could be a bust. If we sign him, and he is cheap, we are filling a third center spot with a guy with a winning faceoff %. We needed that. Also if he continues to play with heart as he showed last night it is a good pickup.

Yes, i know a 2nd rounder could be a top4 d or top 6 foreward down the road. At the same time so could Desharnias (sp, sorry not going huunting lol) Trotter, D'ago?, Pacs, Maxwell, etc.. I just saying I guy that is NHL ready at this time, what with all the injuries and the chemistry we seem to have in Hamilton, it may be a smart move. Let the current kids develop as a unit in Hamilton, with their coach who is also gaining valuable experiance. Let them enjoy their run at the cup without too many more callups if possible. Next year graduate 2 lines plus 2 d a goalie and a coach. Before the draft move guys for picks to make room for them and recoup the pick.

I don't know guys, I researved my post on this topic until after last nights game. At this point in time, I think the player we got is a fair trade for a pick that could be a bust. If we sign him, and he is cheap, we are filling a third center spot with a guy with a winning faceoff %. We needed that. Also if he continues to play with heart as he showed last night it is a good pickup.

Yes, i know a 2nd rounder could be a top4 d or top 6 foreward down the road. At the same time so could Desharnias (sp, sorry not going huunting lol) Trotter, D'ago?, Pacs, Maxwell, etc.. I just saying I guy that is NHL ready at this time, what with all the injuries and the chemistry we seem to have in Hamilton, it may be a smart move. Let the current kids develop as a unit in Hamilton, with their coach who is also gaining valuable experiance. Let them enjoy their run at the cup without too many more callups if possible. Next year graduate 2 lines plus 2 d a goalie and a coach. Before the draft move guys for picks to make room for them and recoup the pick.

Whether teams are valuing them as such or not, draft picks and prospects play an even more important role in a league with a salary cap.

In a nutshell: Each team can only afford 4 real "star" players with another 4 well paid, good quality regulars and 4 "soldiers"...that means they always need to have a mix of 3-4 prospects that can contribute above that "soldier level" to really contend...it's the quality of those young players, and where the organization is with their rights, that defines if you can legitimately contend. Therefore, while draft picks can always "bust" you need a good volume of high picks in your system to ensure the talent depth and potential to "make it" is increased. So trading that potential for a rental player that you could have signed for nothing in the off-season, or found an equally good option at that point, is a ridiculous move. Sure, it won't break the organization but it is concerning...this team, only 1.5 years ago, was among the best farm systems in the NHL and is now likely closer to 15th, maybe 20th. Sure, some prospects have graduated but they have traded away picks and prospects to simply remain a 6th to 9th seed...

It's a bad trade and deserves to be under the microscope, even though it's not an impact deal. It speaks volumes to the direction this team could be headed.

The numbers don't work....this has got to is be the lead in for a trade....Pleks is going...Reality is that he up for a huge raise that the Habs can't afford...Habs have too many long term dogs...and, there are gaping holes on D -- Gill, Spacek, Bergeron, Obeirn ?????

Pleks will get dealt for a top 5 d-man (whose got at least another year under contract)...

IMO: I wouldn't worry about Moore. To sign him as a rental makes no sense which is exactly why the Olympic break is going to be somewhat nerve-racking for some players. The price was steep but the Cullen deal is a close judge of what we paid. Ottawa traded a 2nd and Picard. We only traded the pick. Is Cullen better than Moore? Of course and is Picard questionable? Yeah, he is. It should have been a 3rd but for whatever reason they wanted Moore and made the call. It was probably frustrating for them. It just means they need to restock the pick. If possible I'd like to see them acquire a 5th, 6th and 7th (or better :clap: ) at the deadline or the draft. Then it wouldn't matter. That's what I figure Burke is going to do to pay for Kessel. Ponikarovsky anyone?

Moore isn't exactly going to double his salary unless he goes gangbusters in the little time he has left to up his signing value. We'll probably be on the hook for 1.5 million.

I still suspect a deal before the 3rd. Some players must be frustrated for sure.

Two weeks.. :zzz: :?- :zzz: What a wait. Oh well, at least there's :can: YEAH!!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Pampers are piling 2th rounder and unloading crappy players.

Basicly they (MArtin) traded Jay Bou for a second and a third.

And Leopold is > Moore didn't say i'd take Leopold but in Pittsburg he's a fit if they want to

trade one D to have something that looks like a winger.

Pens GM makes moove for the run, Montreal amkes moves to patch holes.

• 2 weeks later...

Q. What all these guys have in common ??

Logan Stephenson

Darin Olver

Bryan Bickell

Roman Voloshenko

Ryan Garlock

Adam Pineault

Dane Byers

Bruce Graham

Jakub Sindel

Victor Oreskovich

Geoff Paukovich

Michail Yunkov

Martins Karsums

Mark Tobin

A. They are all 2nd rounders.

There is a 2nd rounder use for something you could get and there is a 2nd rounder use for something that you get.

I was first mad at the trade cuz we were not fixing our cap situation at all. But now, I think we should keep Moore for many more seasons.

Kudos to Pierre Gauthier on this one.

Yea, i would definitely see if they could sign him maybe 2 year 3 mill or something. I beliebve that would be a slight raise on his current deal.

Put him with Pyatt and White, pretty decent 3rd 4th line.

Moen and some other gritty players for the other line, Lapierre centering it.

I would not re sign Metro, he has been really good on the PP, works hard but the habs will need several younger players in the line up due to cap space.

I think Moore has surprised us all. He has turned out to be an excellent pickup, and I hope Gautier continues to surprise us this way. I hope he signs an extension with us.

He is there because no prospect in the eye of the coach and GM won an NHL spot in a season

plagued with injuries and young players having the chance to proove themselves failed to impress.

I am not overhyped or impress by his play, he is just a depth player in the mould that Martin like.

I find it pretty bad long term that no prospect forward rushed out of his shell this year, and really hope Paccioretty

bounces back next year, or we just have to have band aid solutions like Moore.