Permanent Trade Proposal Thread

dlbalr

1 hour ago, Commandant said:

Agreed.

The only reason to move Edmundson is if someone offers a Chiarot like package, there is no reason to sell him for the proposed deal which is pennies on the dollar. 

Agree that pennies on the dollar is not the needed value ... but given his recent injury history (only 24 games last season that carried over to this season) moving out the last year (23/24) of his contract would be PART of the value equation in any trade.

36 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

Agree that pennies on the dollar is not the needed value ... but given his recent injury history (only 24 games last season that carried over to this season) moving out the last year (23/24) of his contract would be PART of the value equation in any trade.

In the proposed trade you are taking Puljujarvi's contract which is something the Oilers want to dump. 

2 hours ago, Commandant said:

My reports in 2019 are not valid in 2022.  Much has changed over 3 years, including his disappointing AHL play that was not included when I wrote this three years ago. 

I could not find anything newer from you on Lavoie, you usually have strong opinions on prospects... I tried taking your thought into consideration :spamafote:

2 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

I could not find anything newer from you on Lavoie, you usually have strong opinions on prospects... I tried taking your thought into consideration :spamafote:

Lavoie lacked compete in junior. To a shocking degree really. Didn't have the mentality or drive necessary to make it.

2 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

I'm glad that you respect the reports, and its impossible (especially with my regular job being busier) to update every prospect. 

I'm just saying that my pre-draft report from 3 years ago, isn't necessarily what i think about the player now.  Thats not limited to Lavoie, thats true of most prospects.  Older reports have aged. 

40 minutes ago, Commandant said:

In the proposed trade you are taking Puljujarvi's contract which is something the Oilers want to dump. 

No doubt the Oilers would be happy to get rid of that contract. Pulijujarvi's confidence is shot right now, 1 goal in 27 games is hard to figure. He has talent, size, works hard, just can't seem to put it together. He needs a change of scenery, perhaps in a hockey market with a little less pressure. I don't know.  I thought he was going to be a real good NHL player, he still might be. 

47 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Not my proposal.

But I agree that is also part of the value equation ... although I think dumping his contract THIS season may be of more value to the Oilers than ridding themselves of Edmundston's next season is to the Habs ... so IMO it should increase the return the Oilers give the Habs ... to what degree is up to Hughes to fleece ... err ... negotiate with Holland.

Puljujarvi will be a decent top-9 guy if he gets out of Edmonton fairly soon, but the clock is ticking.  

The Oilers offence has an issue where it’s all about McDavid and Draisatl.  So it’s either fit in or figure it out yourself. They don’t seem to worry much about bottom-6 production as long as their top 2 guys are producing.  By the time he came to the NHL and got his feet under him, the Oilers had their top-6 filled with Hyman, Kane, Yamamoto, RNH, Draisatl and McDavid.  Puljujarvi’s only slot in the top-6 is it push Yamamoto out.

5 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

But I agree that is also part of the value equation ... although I think dumping his contract THIS season may be of more value to the Oilers than ridding themselves of Edmundston's next season is to the Habs ... so IMO it should increase the return the Oilers give the Habs.

I would agree, taking on that contract should increase the return.  I still think Puljijarvi can be a good NHL hockey player. Of course I thought Armia would become a good NHL player and score some goals.  Perhaps I should put my dreams of becoming an NHL scout on hold for now.  

2 hours ago, TurdBurglar said:

Puljujarvi will be a decent top-9 guy if he gets out of Edmonton fairly soon, but the clock is ticking.  

The Oilers offence has an issue where it’s all about McDavid and Draisatl.  So it’s either fit in or figure it out yourself. They don’t seem to worry much about bottom-6 production as long as their top 2 guys are producing.  By the time he came to the NHL and got his feet under him, the Oilers had their top-6 filled with Hyman, Kane, Yamamoto, RNH, Draisatl and McDavid.  Puljujarvi’s only slot in the top-6 is it push Yamamoto out.

Yamamoto isnt lighting things up and Kane is injured so he could be taking that opportunity too.  There are two spots in that top 6 that are open for the taking.

Right now the oilers have 4 forwards who are healthy and in double digit points this season.. (mcD, drai, rnh, hyman).  If he can't be the 5th best forward on that team, there is something wrong.  A change of scenery might help but no guarantee on that 

If the oilers want a pulju swap for armia or hoffman or Drouin, then sure Id take a chance on a new coach turning him around.  But if its edmundson, i want more value added.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Commandant said:

But if its edmundson, i want more value added.

I completely agree.  That’s why I proposed Montreal targets Broberg and Puljujarvi for Edmundson.  Future top 4 and a cap dump for a current top-4 that they desperately need with another year and a good contract.

Puljujarvi is RFA at the end of the season, but has a $3m qualifying price tag, which isn’t helping his value at all.

One possible fly in the ointment is that Edmundson has been pretty bad this season. I was struck by that when I watched the game live in Vancouver, and it seems the fancy stats bear this out. It's premature to write him off, and I suspect there will be demand for him as a playoff warrior at the deadline, but the longer this continues, the harder it is going to be to get Chiarot-like returns for the guy. The successes and struggles of Mike Matheson and Joel Edmundson - Eyes On The Prize (habseyesontheprize.com)

I completely agree.  That’s why I proposed Montreal targets Broberg and Puljujarvi for Edmundson.  Future top 4 and a cap dump for a current top-4 that they desperately need with another year and a good contract.

Puljujarvi is RFA at the end of the season, but has a $3m qualifying price tag, which isn’t helping his value at all.

As much as I would love to get Broberg, I just don't see the Oilers giving him up as he could end up being a real stud defenseman, terrific skater.  There is no doubt however that Holland is under pressure to win while McDavid and Draisaitl are in their prime.  I think that a #1 pick/or Bourgault are more likely. 

2 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

One possible fly in the ointment is that Edmundson has been pretty bad this season. I was struck by that when I watched the game live in Vancouver, and it seems the fancy stats bear this out. It's premature to write him off, and I suspect there will be demand for him as a playoff warrior at the deadline, but the longer this continues, the harder it is going to be to get Chiarot-like returns for the guy. The successes and struggles of Mike Matheson and Joel Edmundson - Eyes On The Prize (habseyesontheprize.com)

Agreed. He has to play better and stay healthy.  If he stays healthy and can play a long stretch of games then it's likely his performance will also improve. Then he will be very valuable trade chip at the deadline. 

3 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Chiarots advanced stats were similar.  

55 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

As much as I would love to get Broberg, I just don't see the Oilers giving him up as he could end up being a real stud defenseman, terrific skater.  There is no doubt however that Holland is under pressure to win while McDavid and Draisaitl are in their prime.  I think that a #1 pick/or Bourgault are more likely. 

From the scouting reports I've been reading Broberg is currently projected to be a 3/4 guy.  Of course he could end up to be better.  As Brian pointed out, Edmundson still has a year left on his contract.  He's also extremely affordable with Puljujarvi being included in the trade and Montreal has no obligation to trade him this year.  Hughes should be making the offer for Broberg and sticking that as the asking price for Edmundson, it's there until a better offer comes along.  I think Holland nibbles.

7 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Didn’t we get Edmondson for a fifth or something like that? He really doesn’t seem to be a guy I’d wnT long term, and I doubt if we’d get the same kind of package as we got for Chiarot. I thought Edmondson as the better player of the two, but he’s always injured and when he playing he is getting outplayed by three rookies this year.

i do hi i there is a fit for a guy like him on Edmonton though. They are starving for Dmen and wingers. 

5 hours ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Didn’t we get Edmondson for a fifth or something like that?

Technically, yes, but the Habs traded for his negotiating rights a few weeks before free agency.  He wasn't under contract at the time which lowered his value drastically.

2 hours ago, dlbalr said:

Technically, yes, but the Habs traded for his negotiating rights a few weeks before free agency.  He wasn't under contract at the time which lowered his value drastically.

Oh okay. Thanks. So that was after the season. I was hoping we could get a first for him. But that’s going to be pretty hard when you consider how he is playing and always being injured.

7 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Oh okay. Thanks. So that was after the season. I was hoping we could get a first for him. But that’s going to be pretty hard when you consider how he is playing and always being injured.

What he does have going for him is a good contract and another year left on it.  As for his game, the rest of Montreal’s defence isn’t really stellar, so his quality of defence partner and workload can’t be managed as good as it will on another team.  

Edmundson , like Chiarot, is a role player: he fits a specific role for teams and sucks in other contexts 

Habs are not a fit anymore, like Carolina (?) wasn’t anymore at the end of his stay there 

8 minutes ago, Fanpuck33 said:

Or the fact that he, himself, has questioned whether he has a future in the NHL at all.

Despite what Holland may hope, I don't think Puljujarvi has had much value for a while now ... he is a throw-in to balance cap-hits at this point ... ala Dadonov and Drouin until any of them prove otherwise.

6 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

Despite what Holland may hope, I don't think Puljujarvi has had much value for a while now ... he is a throw-in to balance cap-hits at this point ... ala Dadonov and Drouin until any of them prove otherwise.

I've read, as recent as today, the Oilers are still asking a 2nd round pick for Puljujarvi. 

I've read, as recent as today, the Oilers are still asking a 2nd round pick for Puljujarvi. 

That is dreaming, 1 goal in 28 games, a 3M cap hit.  Holland might be waiting a long time for the phone to ring if that is his asking price.