Permanent Trade Proposal Thread

dlbalr

Consuming Pre-season media like a madman and excited for the upcoming season.

For us, I really like the direction the team is taking, especially with the gathering of draft picks and "second chances" like Dach and Newhook,

And then it occurred, that there might be other such "projects" out there that could be exploited. And as a non-native Qubecoiose, this doesn't come from some kind of hometown-hero-dream, but depending on how things turn out for Alexis Lafreniere, the Rags just might lose patience with both Kakko and Lafreniere as they are in a win-now mode. I'm actually reluctant to add youngsters from Montreal to the Habs, as the pressure just seems to be too much. But from what I read from the pre-season, it seems like the whole success for the Rangers is depending on getting the "Kid-Line" back on par.

However, if the Rangers are in a playoff-spot come the trade deadline and it didn't work out for them, Sean Monahan or Tanner Pearson might be interesting if they have some success this year and a prospect sweetener might be enough to get Lafreniere? I'm thinking along the lines of Monahan, Ylönen, and Harris. And if they blow it before, I think we have enough high-end prospects to make it a "hockey-deal" that could work for both teams.

Thoughts?

15 minutes ago, ch_nl said:

Consuming Pre-season media like a madman and excited for the upcoming season.

For us, I really like the direction the team is taking, especially with the gathering of draft picks and "second chances" like Dach and Newhook,

And then it occurred, that there might be other such "projects" out there that could be exploited. And as a non-native Qubecoiose, this doesn't come from some kind of hometown-hero-dream, but depending on how things turn out for Alexis Lafreniere, the Rags just might lose patience with both Kakko and Lafreniere as they are in a win-now mode. I'm actually reluctant to add youngsters from Montreal to the Habs, as the pressure just seems to be too much. But from what I read from the pre-season, it seems like the whole success for the Rangers is depending on getting the "Kid-Line" back on par.

However, if the Rangers are in a playoff-spot come the trade deadline and it didn't work out for them, Sean Monahan or Tanner Pearson might be interesting if they have some success this year and a prospect sweetener might be enough to get Lafreniere? I'm thinking along the lines of Monahan, Ylönen, and Harris. And if they blow it before, I think we have enough high-end prospects to make it a "hockey-deal" that could work for both teams.

Thoughts?

Interesting ... but few "hockey trades" get made at the deadline ... teams are loath to give up players who have been part of getting to the playoffs or into the playoff race.

3 hours ago, GHT120 said:

Interesting ... but few "hockey trades" get made at the deadline ... teams are loath to give up players who have been part of getting to the playoffs or into the playoff race.

True, really the only way a trade like this happens is if Lafreniere is massively disappointing.  Hed have to be seen as a near non-contributor to the team's success.  I mean if hes showing signs of life the Rangers arent moving him for rentals in that range.

Once Price is put on LTIR, I would suggest Hughes offer Armia to Washington for Anthony Mantha ... Capitals currently have ZERO cap space and would save $1.3M via the trade, but would be stuck with Armia for next season ... for that reason, the Caps might decline ... but from the Habs' perspective it simplifies next season's cap and MSL *** MIGHT *** be able to unlock whatever potential is left in Mantha.

1 hour ago, GHT120 said:

Once Price is put on LTIR, I would suggest Hughes offer Armia to Washington for Anthony Mantha ... Capitals currently have ZERO cap space and would save $1.3M via the trade, but would be stuck with Armia for next season ... for that reason, the Caps might decline ... but from the Habs' perspective it simplifies next season's cap and MSL *** MIGHT *** be able to unlock whatever potential is left in Mantha.

Not a bad idea. Who knows if the Caps would bite.

Mantha's seems to be one of those weird, Kostitsyn- or Higgins-like careers, where things start promisingly and then diminish rather than improve as the guy enters his mid-20s. A counter-intuitive arc. 

now that Armia has cleared waivers:

To CBJ: Armia ($2.25M/2yr,  waived cap) and Harris ($1.4M/1yr) = $3.65M

To MTL: Bean ($2.33M/1yr), Olivier ($1.1M/2yr) = $3.43M

no, but on a one year contract, he provides a similar level as Harris. Habs would clear cap space for next year, fee up a roster spot in Laval for the prospects and have a young depth LD to trade at the deadline

8 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

Doubt CBJ have any interest in Armia ... especially for another season beyond this one.

But Harris for Boqvist (or IDEALLY, but unlikely, Peeke) would work once Price is on LTIR.

1 minute ago, GHT120 said:

Doubt CBJ have any interest in Armia ... especially for another season beyond this one.

But Harris for Boqvist (or IDEALLY, but unlikely, Peeke) would work once Price is on LTIR.

Mathieu Olivier is the wild card here, he has an interesting profile that the Habs do not have enough of. From Dobber:

"Power forward winger that shows a strong net front presence and offensive touch around the net. Could have value in deeper fantasy leagues that count hits and penalty minutes."

https://dobberprospects.com/player/mathieu-olivier/

He would be a great 1-2 punch with Pezzetta on the 4th line, or replacing him once he peters out

7 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

no, but on a one year contract, he provides a similar level as Harris. Habs would clear cap space for next year, fee up a roster spot in Laval for the prospects and have a young depth LD to trade at the deadline

We already have a young D-man in Harris, whether he's one to be traded or not.

6 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

We already have a young D-man in Harris, whether he's one to be traded or not.

Bean is equivalent talent and a tad bigger, if I remember correctly he has been decent defensively.

58 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

So Columbus moves a defenceman for a defenceman...how does that help accomplish their goal of moving a defenceman?  They have a surplus so Harris wouldn't appeal to them...nor would Armia for that matter.

As for the D they're looking to move, I think it's Peeke.

42 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

Mathieu Olivier is the wild card here, he has an interesting profile that the Habs do not have enough of. From Dobber:

"Power forward winger that shows a strong net front presence and offensive touch around the net. Could have value in deeper fantasy leagues that count hits and penalty minutes."

https://dobberprospects.com/player/mathieu-olivier/

He would be a great 1-2 punch with Pezzetta on the 4th line, or replacing him once he peters out

Olivier is a throwback goon - he can hit, fight, and that's about it.  Not buying the strong offensive touch around the net part of the scouting report.  

45 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

So Columbus moves a defenceman for a defenceman...how does that help accomplish their goal of moving a defenceman?  They have a surplus so Harris wouldn't appeal to them...nor would Armia for that matter.

As for the D they're looking to move, I think it's Peeke.

Olivier is a throwback goon - he can hit, fight, and that's about it.  Not buying the strong offensive touch around the net part of the scouting report.  

ok, ok, 😁 got it

for a minute I though that Harris would interest CBJ because he is waiver exempt where the three Ds they mention in th eX-post are not. Bean/Harris are interchangeable, where Harris may have a better offensive potential, Bean may be better suited to be a bottom-3 LD with Kovacevic on RD.

Armia for Olivier is a contract swap two year contracts each with Olivier being a better suited player for the role Armia may have with the Habs: bottom-line grinder.

Olivier would score as much as Armia, at a lower cap and he can be an old school goon when needed, sheltering Xhekaj.

1 hour ago, alfredoh2009 said:

for a minute I though that Harris would interest CBJ because he is waiver exempt where the three Ds they mention in th eX-post are not. Bean/Harris are interchangeable, where Harris may have a better offensive potential, Bean may be better suited to be a bottom-3 LD with Kovacevic on RD.

Armia for Olivier is a contract swap two year contracts each with Olivier being a better suited player for the role Armia may have with the Habs: bottom-line grinder.

Olivier would score as much as Armia, at a lower cap and he can be an old school goon when needed, sheltering Xhekaj.

So what's in the Armia/Olivier swap for Columbus?  They're taking on a bunch of money and I don't see what they gain from it other than an expensive marginal fourth line upgrade.

As for the D for Columbus, they might want an AHL body to replace Jiricek/Blankenburg/whoever's called up but they'd probably prefer the body not carry a seven-figure salary.  Someone like Struble, for example, who has a couple of years on his entry-level deal and wouldn't be NHL-ready until some of their logjam clears up.

1 hour ago, dlbalr said:

So what's in the Armia/Olivier swap for Columbus?  They're taking on a bunch of money and I don't see what they gain from it other than an expensive marginal fourth line upgrade.

As for the D for Columbus, they might want an AHL body to replace Jiricek/Blankenburg/whoever's called up but they'd probably prefer the body not carry a seven-figure salary.  Someone like Struble, for example, who has a couple of years on his entry-level deal and wouldn't be NHL-ready until some of their logjam clears up.

just making the argument for the fun of it:

taking Armia is the price CBJ pays to get Harris, who IMHO has a higher ceiling than Bean. Timmins is in their organization and he may like to take a long shot on Armia regaining his old form if given a second chance.

It buys CBJ some time before making further roster decisions, which is the type of flexibility they were looking for.

I cannot see them trading Boqvist and Peeke doesn't fit with the MTL organization.

2 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

just making the argument for the fun of it:

taking Armia is the price CBJ pays to get Harris, who IMHO has a higher ceiling than Bean. Timmins is in their organization and he may like to take a long shot on Armia regaining his old form if given a second chance.

It buys CBJ some time before making further roster decisions, which is the type of flexibility they were looking for.

I cannot see them trading Boqvist and Peeke doesn't fit with the MTL organization.

For me, Bean is the better of the two players, he was a legit top-four guy just a year ago and would have been last year if not for injuries.  I think Harris is about as high as he's going to get on a depth chart.  Age-wise, they're only two years apart; it's not as if Bean is an older veteran.

Timmins was an amateur scout and would have had no say in Armia's acquisition - the pro scouting department would have handled that one.  He'd know Harris though.

As for moving Armia, it would take Harris and something else to get a team to take on the contract for free let alone giving up something of value.  He is now a negative-value player, the Habs aren't getting something of value for him in a trade.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dlbalr said:

For me, Bean is the better of the two players, he was a legit top-four guy just a year ago and would have been last year if not for injuries.  I think Harris is about as high as he's going to get on a depth chart.  Age-wise, they're only two years apart; it's not as if Bean is an older veteran.

Timmins was an amateur scout and would have had no say in Armia's acquisition - the pro scouting department would have handled that one.  He'd know Harris though.

As for moving Armia, it would take Harris and something else to get a team to take on the contract for free let alone giving up something of value.  He is now a negative-value player, the Habs aren't getting something of value for him in a trade.

you are wise beyond your forum years !

I have run out of arguments 😂

3 hours ago, dlbalr said:

I think Harris is about as high as he's going to get on a depth chart.  

I kind of interpreted this as if Harris has no more room to grow, this is his ceiling despite being quite young still. 

After thinking about it, I think that’s accurate. 

I consider Harris a very good Dman. A second pairing guy on a bubble team or a third pairing on a playoff team. 

I don’t think his game will evolve, he will never have a better shot or become offensively gifted. He will always struggle against the biggest forwards. 

He will sharpen his breakout skills and hone his very strong Dzone game through experience but he is what he is. 

I wonder what Harris is worth on the market? 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

I kind of interpreted this as if Harris has no more room to grow, this is his ceiling despite being quite young still. 

After thinking about it, I think that’s accurate. 

I consider Harris a very good Dman. A second pairing guy on a bubble team or a third pairing on a playoff team. 

I don’t think his game will evolve, he will never have a better shot or become offensively gifted. He will always struggle against the biggest forwards. 

He will sharpen his breakout skills and hone his very strong Dzone game through experience but he is what he is. 

I wonder what Harris is worth on the market? 

He does seem to be Josh Gorges, except that where Gorges’s trademark was guts, Harris’s signature is smarts.

I’d like to see him perform for at least another half-season before concluding he cannot be a #4 on a good team, myself. 

4 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

He does seem to be Josh Gorges, except that where Gorges’s trademark was guts, Harris’s signature is smarts.

I’d like to see him perform for at least another half-season before concluding he cannot be a #4 on a good team, myself. 

Smarts is the perfect word to describe Harris - he is outstanding because of it. 

I’m certainly not in a rush to trade him but considering our LD depth the Habs can afford to trade one

31 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Agreed, we need to see more of him, he has basically played one season in the NHL.  We know he is smart, mobile and is a young man with a lot of character. I think we will get a pretty good idea this year where he will fit in. 

11 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

11 hours ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

Smarts is the perfect word to describe Harris - he is outstanding because of it.

Smarts is the perfect word to describe Harris ... on and off the ice ... but because of his strong play last season his trade value might never be higher ... this season could prove he is a legit Top 4 defenceman on all but the deepest of NHL defence corps and boost his trade value higher, or it could show that he is a 5/6(even 7) on a playoff quality team and rop his value ... this is why HuGo et al get the big bucks ... they have to decide what they project Harris will become ... if other teams value Harris more highly then it might be time to trade him once an acceptable trade emerges.