Permanent Trade Proposal Thread

dlbalr

9 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

I like the trade from Montreal's point of view.

I absolutely LOVE it ... but I tend to find that if I don't have to think twice before "accepting" a trade it tends to not be realistic.

For the Ducks to concider this we have to switch the Winnipeg pick for at least our first next year or maybe even our first this year. Im sure they will get better offers than that for Zegras.

19 hours ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

Perhaps but don't forget that  Anaheim's best young D (Mintyukov, Zelleweger) are  LD. Barron certainly may have some value after trading Drysdale and he did score 7 goals in 48 games with the Habs. They are weak on the right side as they picked up Lindstrom from Montreal on waivers.  Barron and Kovacevic might solidify their right side, plus the 1st round pick has some value. 

Anaheim is loaded up the middle after trading for Cutter Gauthier. I think they trade Zegras somewhere. Is that offer enough? If it isn't it isn't that far off.

I like the trade from Montreal's point of view. It makes it easy to draft a stud defensemen at #5 if that is the best player available. If a top forward falls to 5 then that is great to.

It may be a crazy proposal and is a classic quantity for quality trade that I like from Montreal's point of view but there are also enough pieces for Anaheim to make them think about it. I am not sure how much more they get for Zegras. 

Anaheim thinks about this for two seconds and says  make it your first rounder or David Reinbacher as the RHD and then we can talk.

15 hours ago, Dalhabs said:

For the Ducks to concider this we have to switch the Winnipeg pick for at least our first next year or maybe even our first this year. Im sure they will get better offers than that for Zegras.

Zero chance Hughes gives up our first this year for Zegras.  They may get better offers but then you walk and let somebody else have him. 

28 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Anaheim thinks about this for two seconds and says  make it your first rounder or David Reinbacher as the RHD and then we can talk.

Perhaps that's what they ask for, you can't blame them for asking for more. Just saying that if it gets to the point where they want our first (especially this year) or Reinbacher then you let some other team take him. 

Trevor Zegras certainly has talent but not sure what his ceiling. Is he a 60-70 point guy who plays one end of the ice or will he be a 80-90 point guy who plays a 200 foot game?  I don't know.  

2 hours ago, Commandant said:

Then Hughes instantaneously reminds Anaheim they turned down Askarov to get Reinbacher.  Askarov has shown nothing to dissuade the idea he's an elite goaltender, which has more value than a flashy 60 point center that doesn't play defense.

2 hours ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

Perhaps that's what they ask for, you can't blame them for asking for more. Just saying that if it gets to the point where they want our first (especially this year) or Reinbacher then you let some other team take him. 

Trevor Zegras certainly has talent but not sure what his ceiling. Is he a 60-70 point guy who plays one end of the ice or will he be a 80-90 point guy who plays a 200 foot game?  I don't know.  

I wouldnt do it either... but my point is that a pick in the 20s, a 22 year old dman who got sent to the AHL due to being a liability and a 26 year old D who is third pairing, isnt gonna get that much.

5 hours ago, Commandant said:

I wouldnt do it either... but my point is that a pick in the 20s, a 22 year old dman who got sent to the AHL due to being a liability and a 26 year old D who is third pairing, isnt gonna get that much.

I agree that Kovacevic is not worth a lot, but a lot of young defensemen have been sent to the AHL and have turned out OK.  I think Xhekaj was sent to the AHL this year to work on things and I am pretty darn sure he has a lot of value. Getting sent to the AHL is certainly not a kiss of death for a young defensemen. 

6 hours ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

I agree that Kovacevic is not worth a lot, but a lot of young defensemen have been sent to the AHL and have turned out OK.  I think Xhekaj was sent to the AHL this year to work on things and I am pretty darn sure he has a lot of value. Getting sent to the AHL is certainly not a kiss of death for a young defensemen. 

Didnt say its the kiss of death but its the third season in a row hes been sent there to work on his defensive game.  Does that mean he can never have an NHL career? Of course not.  But it certainly has to mean his trade value is not the greatest.

Anaheim has a ton of prospects in their system and a lot of draft picks, they arent going for quantity over quality right now.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

I agree that Kovacevic is not worth a lot

I suspect Kovacevic will be worth more to the Habs than in a trade.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Commandant said:

And then, Hughes hangs up the phone and waits. 

1 hour ago, PMAC said:

And then, Hughes hangs up the phone and waits. 

Yeah, I very well doubt Hughes will part with a good prospect in a much needed position unless the offer knocks his socks off.  Zegras for Reinbacher straight up, but Anaheim would be on a new GM hunt shortly thereafter.

With how stocked Montreal are on LD, I could see Guhle/Hutson maybe on the table.  Doubt Anaheim would be interested in Matheson, unless it's to flip him to another team. 

We have to remember Montreal is pretty stocked on top-6 centers, so the appetite to add another would have to be pretty low for Hughes.  Both Dach (last season) and Newhook (this season) were on pace for 50+ point season, which isn't a far cry from Zegras' numbers.  I would read more into trades that involve scoring wingers, RHD and goalies.

Anaheim is stocked on LD.

Im also not sure Mtl is done at C.

Consider that Newhook is probably better on the wing and while we all hope Dach will come back and take the next step hes missed like 2.5 seasons out of his last 4.  It wouldnt be wise to put all the eggs in that basket.

Zegras also can play wing.

Im not crazy about giving a lot for him and Ive said why, but I dont think we are so stocked at C to look away from that.

• Like 1

With 3 capable top-6 centers under 25, Dvorak and Evans on the NHL roster, Beck, Kidney and Mesar in the system.  I'm not sure how many more a team needs to be considered stocked at center then.  Just because a player can play wing as well doesn't make them not a center.

Writing off Dach by saying "it wouldnt be wise to put all the eggs in that basket," is very premature.  Crosby missed nearly 2 seasons with much worse concussions early in his career too, nobody wrote him off.  Comparing injury time missed not skill ceiling here.  With 3 capable top-6 centers there's obviously no eggs all put in one basket anyway. 

1 hour ago, TurdBurglar said:

With 3 capable top-6 centers under 25, Dvorak and Evans on the NHL roster, Beck, Kidney and Mesar in the system.  I'm not sure how many more a team needs to be considered stocked at center then.  Just because a player can play wing as well doesn't make them not a center.

Writing off Dach by saying "it wouldnt be wise to put all the eggs in that basket," is very premature.  Crosby missed nearly 2 seasons with much worse concussions early in his career too, nobody wrote him off.  Comparing injury time missed not skill ceiling here.  With 3 capable top-6 centers there's obviously no eggs all put in one basket anyway. 

Kidney didn't exactly impress this year (and might be more of a winger than a centre) and Mesar might be too small to be a centre.  So we're looking at Beck and Kapanen as prospects whose stock is on the rise, maybe Xhekaj one day in a lower role.  Not bad but the cupboard isn't fully stocked on the prospect front at centre.

On the NHL roster, there's some depth but with two pending UFA's, it's short-term.  Add to that some uncertainty as to where Newhook's long-term position will be and there is definitely room to augment that position.  It's certainly better than it was a few years ago, sure, but there's a lot of room to add still.

24 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

Kidney didn't exactly impress this year (and might be more of a winger than a centre) and Mesar might be too small to be a centre.  So we're looking at Beck and Kapanen as prospects whose stock is on the rise, maybe Xhekaj one day in a lower role.  Not bad but the cupboard isn't fully stocked on the prospect front at centre.

On the NHL roster, there's some depth but with two pending UFA's, it's short-term.  Add to that some uncertainty as to where Newhook's long-term position will be and there is definitely room to augment that position.  It's certainly better than it was a few years ago, sure, but there's a lot of room to add still.

For me the key is Dach. It's a shame he got hurt so early in the year. It robbed us of the opportunity to see if he is a long term solution at center. If Dach can stay healthy (hardly a certainty) then we could be set at center.  It would have been nice going into the draft this year with a little more certainty about Dach but that's the way it goes.  

2 hours ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

For me the key is Dach. It's a shame he got hurt so early in the year. It robbed us of the opportunity to see if he is a long term solution at center. If Dach can stay healthy (hardly a certainty) then we could be set at center.  It would have been nice going into the draft this year with a little more certainty about Dach but that's the way it goes.  

Exactly.  I like Dach but to say there is no room for a top 6 centre... hogwash.

Imagine we win the lottery? Are we passing on Celebrini cause he's a centre?

Kidney, Mesar, Beck, Kapanen are all maybes... and the fact is Beck and Kapanen are most likely to make it but are also unlikely to be top six centres.  

And its not Newhook can play wing.  Its hes better at wing than at centre.  There is a difference.

So all of this means, if you think our top 6 centre spots are set... that means you are counting on both Suzuki and Dach to be in those spots.  And if you add one more and those two are healthy and productive, great... you can have the equivalent of the Oilers having RNH, or you can put one on wing.  You cant have too many good centers.  No such thing.

• Like 1

Trade Cary Price's contract, one of the defense in the logjam, and maybe a draft pick to Utah for future considerations and use the new found cap room to get Jake Guentzal.

I also wonder if the St Louis/Lecavalier factor to get Stamkos to come to Montreal for the right price if Tampa doesn't work out something.

1 hour ago, skifaster said:

Trade Cary Price's contract, one of the defense in the logjam, and maybe a draft pick to Utah for future considerations and use the new found cap room to get Jake Guentzal.

I also wonder if the St Louis/Lecavalier factor to get Stamkos to come to Montreal for the right price if Tampa doesn't work out something.

Utah is not going to be run the same way phoenix was, talking everyones bad contracts.  That ends with the new ownership who are going to spend on actual players

• Like 1

4 hours ago, skifaster said:

Why would Stamkos be a fit on a rebuilding team? Not a fit , is he?

For Stamkos I'm thinking he could be the offense version of David Savard along with a ton of playoff success (been there, got the t-shirt) for when Montreal makes the playoffs next year.

For Utah, most of the Montreal D are an immediate upgrade over anyone on their roster.  I'm thinking the Price dead money would be better spent on a serious offer to Guentzal.

14 minutes ago, skifaster said:

For Stamkos I'm thinking he could be the offense version of David Savard along with a ton of playoff success (been there, got the t-shirt) for when Montreal makes the playoffs next year.

For Utah, most of the Montreal D are an immediate upgrade over anyone on their roster.  I'm thinking the Price dead money would be better spent on a serious offer to Guentzal.

I think we all understood what you wanted to do ... the question isn't why the Habs might want Stamkos or Guentzal ... it is why would they want to join a team that is still in a rebuild, that may or may not challenge for a wildcard next season (especially Stamkos, who turns 35-yrs-old on July 2nd, so better sign him July 1st) ... and ... why would Utah want to lock themselves into the absolute lack of salary cap flexibility that comes with going into LTIR, and spend the extra $15M in real money over the next two seasons ... I expect they will be spending their $43M in cap space to try to make a BIG move up the standings next season.

is Newhook better at wing?

the sample size of him at wing vs C in NHL is actually pretty small. he played at C for BC as well as the Aves, and has done pretty much the same in his first season in MTL. 

With that said, I think I would prefer him at wing.

7 hours ago, skifaster said:

That is an interesting though that I have also wondered.  Stamkos did play with Marty for 6 years.  

I also wonder about Kane too due to the Wings missing the playoffs where will he go next year?   Kane went with the Wings because he likes original 6 teams and he is friends with DeBrincat.  The Habs are an original 6 team and Kane is also friends with Dach.  

Marchessault is another interesting possibility.  

People ask why would any of them want to come to Montreal?  Because them signing with the Habs would basically end the rebuild.