Permanent Trade Proposal Thread

dlbalr

14 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

Great explanation Hab29. 

I would say then alongside with points, Suzuki brings a stronger all around game but I agree that Suzuki isn’t a game breaker in the same way Pettersson is. 

Let’s revisit this conversation in a couple more years. Suzuki continues to grow every season, including this one so we haven’t seen his ceiling yet.  I imagine a full season with Slafkovsky taking a step and Caufield rebounding with a perfect shoulder and a competent PP unit…Let’s see what Suzuki has got left in him. 

Well, I did pick Suzuki to get 87 points in our annual prediction contest, so I’m high on him. Having said that, I still think that if he can stay healthy and find consistency, Dach may become our #1 centre. It would really be something to have to 85 point+ centres.

6 hours ago, Commandant said:

I defended my point and its based not just on offence but his analytics that show selke level defence 

Hes grown every year 

He also scored 66 points while spending half the season with Harvey-pinard, Armia, and others rotating on his wings at age 23.

I was just having this conversation with someone yesterday. If Suzuki can become Bergeron, Kopitar, Barkov level, he may not get 100 points in a season ever. But if his defensive game against the other teams' best players continues to develop, maybe that skill negates 25 goals against in a season, and his 75 point season results in the same goal differential. Still elite in my view.

A 2:59 trade

***IF*** the Avs manage to upgrade their centre position without moving Johansen, Jake for Ryan and a 2025 conditional 3rd (4th if Allen doesn't play in 6 regular season games after the trade ... OR ... get a playoff win in 2024).

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

ClickBait30 proposing a KK and a first rounder to Habs ... given that they could take advantage of the under 26 buyout next June (and June 2026), it might be worthwhile if either they can move Dvorak, and let KK and Evans fight it out for 3C/4C, or if they think KK can play wing.

45 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

ClickBait30 proposing a KK and a first rounder to Habs ... given that they could take advantage of the under 26 buyout next June (and June 2026), it might be worthwhile if either they can move Dvorak, and let KK and Evans fight it out for 3C/4C, or if they think KK can play wing.

If the idea is to eventually do a buyout, that's a lot of dead money (even at 1/3) to eat for a late first-round pick. 

25 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

If the idea is to eventually do a buyout, that's a lot of dead money (even at 1/3) to eat for a late first-round pick. 

Yes, is 12 years x 835,000/yr of dead cap space worth a pick in the 26 - 32 range?  I just don't see Carolina giving up on him yet. He has had a brutal year though, after a hot start he has basically 13 points in his last 60 games. It sure went downhill fast for him. Not sure what's going on, his confidence must be shot right now. 

57 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

26 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

Yes, is 12 years x 835,000/yr of dead cap space worth a pick in the 26 - 32 range?  I just don't see Carolina giving up on him yet. He has had a brutal year though, after a hot start he has basically 13 points in his last 60 games. It sure went downhill fast for him. Not sure what's going on, his confidence must be shot right now. 

KK had a career year last season ... the idea (I-M-O) would be to give it a year and see what MSL can do with him ... *** IF *** necessary, a buyout next June would be 10 years, with 7 @ $841,333 but years 3,4&5 would be $461,333; right where an extra $380K could prove useful.

The 'Canes have $30.7M to fill out 9-10 roster spots next season ... but they may want to re-sign Guentzel (especially if they have a good playoff run), their 2nd (Skjei), 3rd (Slavin) and 6th (Chatfield) leading TOI defencemen are UFAs, up-front, their #2(Jarvis) and #4 (Necas) scorers are RFAs and #6 (Teravainen) is a UFA ... that $30.7 may not go as far as one might think ... perhaps the proposal could be modified/expanded and bring one of the RFAs, or one of their young NCAA forwards and a lesser pick into a deal.

34 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I like the concept of trying him on the W. Although surely Carolina must have attempted this? 🤔

Yes, they have.

1 hour ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

That's a lot of real money to give up to buy a single late first-round pick (it's not just the cap charge but actual dollars).  I think Carolina waits it out one more year, there's not much risk for them doing so.

12 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

KK had a career year last season ... the idea (I-M-O) would be to give it a year and see what MSL can do with him ... *** IF *** necessary, a buyout next June would be 10 years, with 7 @ $841,333 but years 3,4&5 would be $461,333; right where an extra $380K could prove useful.

The 'Canes have $30.7M to fill out 9-10 roster spots next season ... but they may want to re-sign Guentzel (especially if they have a good playoff run), their 2nd (Skjei), 3rd (Slavin) and 6th (Chatfield) leading TOI defencemen are UFAs, up-front, their #2(Jarvis) and #4 (Necas) scorers are RFAs and #6 (Teravainen) is a UFA ... that $30.7 may not go as far as one might think ... perhaps the proposal could be modified/expanded and bring one of the RFAs, or one of their young NCAA forwards and a lesser pick into a deal.

That makes more sense. The Canes have a lot of tough decisions to make, a lot of UFA's, plus Jarvis and Necas will/should be getting substantial raises. Maybe some team should entice Jarvis or Necas with a 1 year contract at 6.1Million/year?

Jarvis in particular should be getting a massive raise, 28 goals and 32 assists in 74 games and only making 894,000, hmmm....

Surely Jarvis will get a bump to at least 4m (likely higher) as the compensation up to 4.1M is only a 2nd round pick. Carolina would have to match. 

4 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

That's a lot of real money to give up to buy a single late first-round pick (it's not just the cap charge but actual dollars).  I think Carolina waits it out one more year, there's not much risk for them doing so.

Agreed, they will likely give him another year but they have a lot of tough decisions to make. 

1 minute ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

Surely Jarvis will get a bump to at least 4m (likely higher) as the compensation up to 4.1M is only a 2nd round pick. Carolina would have to match. 

I expect they would be thrilled to get him at that price.

5 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

I expect they would be thrilled to get him at that price.

That is probably true, now if a team offered him 6M would they match?  It might be worth it for a team if they had cap room and that 1st round pick was a late one.  Carolina has some tough decisions to make. 

1 minute ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

That is probably true, now if a team offered him 6M would they match?  It might be worth it for a team if they had cap room and that 1st round pick was a late one.  Carolina has some tough decisions to make. 

Remember that any picks given up are 2025 picks, not 2024... as the offer sheet would be July 1st or later (after the draft).  So you can assume you have the team to get a late first rounder, but you dont know for sure.

Also all.compensation picks are natural picks (ie the pick belonging to the team doing the offer sheet).  You cant trade for a pick and substitute it in.  Not saying the Habs will do this, as I doubt it, but if they did, they are giving up their own 2025 picks,  not Calgary's.

2 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Remember that any picks given up are 2025 picks, not 2024... as the offer sheet would be July 1st or later (after the draft).  So you can assume you have the team to get a late first rounder, but you dont know for sure.

Also all.compensation picks are natural picks (ie the pick belonging to the team doing the offer sheet).  You cant trade for a pick and substitute it in.  Not saying the Habs will do this, as I doubt it, but if they did, they are giving up their own 2025 picks,  not Calgary's.

Agreed, not suggesting the Habs do this as they have no idea where the pick their could fall in 2025. Jarvis is in a good position, only 22, picked a good time to have an excellent year. 

Interesting, I just the saw the results of a poll on Habs fans if they would make this trade:  kk + 1st rnd pick for future considerations. (basically the Monahan trade).

82% said no.

Similar trade:  Evans 1 for 1 for kk.  

92% said no.

I think I'd do kk + 1st rnd pick but I'd add a stipulation that the Cannes must retain salary.  I don't overly give a rats ass on the amount, $20 would suffice.  Its about stealing 1 of their retention spots for the length of that contract.  Their owner is cheap and doesn't want to pay kk's salary so he'd agree to it just to get rid of that contract.  

5 hours ago, Sir_Boagalott said:

Interesting, I just the saw the results of a poll on Habs fans if they would make this trade:  kk + 1st rnd pick for future considerations. (basically the Monahan trade).

82% said no.

Similar trade:  Evans 1 for 1 for kk.  

92% said no.

I think I'd do kk + 1st rnd pick but I'd add a stipulation that the Cannes must retain salary.  I don't overly give a rats ass on the amount, $20 would suffice.  Its about stealing 1 of their retention spots for the length of that contract.  Their owner is cheap and doesn't want to pay kk's salary so he'd agree to it just to get rid of that contract.  

KK didn’t look good in last night’s game at all. His only impactful plays were dirty hits on the boards. 

I entertained a KK trade but the kid is a waste of a roster spot 

On 3/29/2024 at 2:56 PM, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

It is pretty wild what has happened to him.  I agree that the Cannes management isn't ready to give up him yet, but that doesn't mean the owner won't.  The owner is so cheap he might step in and force Waddell to do something that might not entirely make hockey sense.  The owner is like Ballard so financial decisions could be his priority.  

It is possible that kk doesn't rebound, but I imagine his chances would be best under MSL and how the Habs are handling young talent.  Besides, a lot of Habs alumni praised kk when he was drafted so I can't see them all being wrong.  Plus, Allen described their wrist shots once and said kk's was next level.  

Here is a funny idea that doesn't make hockey sense:  Evans and a 1st for kk, Necas, and Suzuki plus a stipulation the Cannes to retain $20 of kk's salary - you know, for being a Bunch of Jerks.

Yes, that trade wouldn't make hockey sense for them to want to move Necas at all.  However, they do have numerous RFA's and UFA's to sign and it is unlikely they can keep them all.   Doing that trade would give them a 1st for 1 player they are bound to lose and rid them of kk's salary.   A penny pinching owner might agree to something like that even though its a lopsided trade in the Habs favour..   

On 4/1/2024 at 6:54 AM, Commandant said:

KK is not coming back.  End of story.  Its never happening, not with all thats gone down.

That seems overly strong.  With “all that’s gone down,” it was between the teams, not KK and Montreal.  

I may of forgotten something but I don’t believe KK spoke bad about Montreal or his departure, so I don’t see why he would be blacklisted from playing for Montreal again.  Not that I think he ever will for completely different reasons.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, TurdBurglar said:

That seems overly strong.  With “all that’s gone down,” it was between the teams, not KK and Montreal.  

I may of forgotten something but I don’t believe KK spoke bad about Montreal or his departure, so I don’t see why he would be blacklisted from playing for Montreal again.  Not that I think he ever will for completely different reasons.

Hes never gonna put his tail between his legs and rejoin the Habs.  There is just too much that went on. 

1. We arent trading for his full contract and Carolina would buy him out before retaining on his contract as that's cheaper, so hes not coming here via trade.

2. If bought out, hes not signing here as a UFA.  No way when he could go anywhere does he come here.

So any belief that he comes back is misguided IMO.

• 3 weeks later...

Seeing some funny habs proposals floating around

Barron, Justin [RFA Rights]
Dvorak, Christian
Kovacevic, Johnathan
2024 1st round pick (WPG)

for....

Trevor Zegras

🤣

I guess this is the current iteration of the Halak/Ryder combo

30 minutes ago, Plutarch said:

Seeing some funny habs proposals floating around

Barron, Justin [RFA Rights]
Dvorak, Christian
Kovacevic, Johnathan
2024 1st round pick (WPG)

for....

Trevor Zegras

🤣

I guess this is the current iteration of the Halak/Ryder combo

Even worse ... many fans hesitated about trading either of those two ... this is the "who am I willing to give up without really having to think about it" package.

Dvorak is overpaid and injury-prone (missed 52 this year, 18 last, before that 26, 26, 12 and 60, after a pair of initial 78 game seasons), Kovacevic is at best a nice 6/7/8 RHD, Barron is a thus-far borderline NHL prospect and Winnipeg's pick is likely in the last 5-6 of the first round ... and they are suggesting trading that package to a team that already has a plethora of young defencemen.

28 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

. and they are suggesting trading that package to a team that already has a plethora of young defencemen.

Perhaps but don't forget that  Anaheim's best young D (Mintyukov, Zelleweger) are  LD. Barron certainly may have some value after trading Drysdale and he did score 7 goals in 48 games with the Habs. They are weak on the right side as they picked up Lindstrom from Montreal on waivers.  Barron and Kovacevic might solidify their right side, plus the 1st round pick has some value. 

Anaheim is loaded up the middle after trading for Cutter Gauthier. I think they trade Zegras somewhere. Is that offer enough? If it isn't it isn't that far off.

I like the trade from Montreal's point of view. It makes it easy to draft a stud defensemen at #5 if that is the best player available. If a top forward falls to 5 then that is great to.

It may be a crazy proposal and is a classic quantity for quality trade that I like from Montreal's point of view but there are also enough pieces for Anaheim to make them think about it. I am not sure how much more they get for Zegras.