Permanent Trade Proposal Thread

dlbalr

What really impresses me in this story is that apparently his teammates threw all his equipment into the shower. A typical locker room prank? Or a deliberate "FU" to a guy whose attitude/antics teammates are sick of? Seems like the latter.

It could go either way with Kane in Montreal - the Ribeiro/Theodore route, or the Price/Subban route. We just don't know. But a lot of things suggest some wisdom in acquiring him. First, he's highly talented, obviously. Second, he's gone through all his growing pains with the Thrashers/Jets organization; just the right recipe for tiring out everyone's patience. There's a chance to get him just as he starts to mature. Third, he's black. Yeah, you read that right. I maintain from the Subban experience that black NHLers are held to a double standard when it comes to behaviour and attitude. The minute they show any personality their fragile status as "Good Canadian Kid" is instantly revoked in a way it wouldn't be for white guys. So we could be acquiring a guy whose rep for bad behaviour is exaggerated, distorted by subliminal racism.

But ultimately, if we pick him up it will be on the belief that our "leadership core" is strong enough to pull him over to the Good Side of the Force. This isn't something that was possible in the Theo/Ribeiro/Kovalev/Kostitsyn era, but the current bunch seems to be made of higher-end stuff.

So it could all work out great. My problem is less with Kane than that, like I said before, I don't see much of a fit in terms of what we'd be sending back.

I don't think MB will be trying to acquire Kane and hope he doesn't. From all accounts Kane has a terrible attitude and is the antithesis of a team player, not really the type of character player MB so highly values. Despite Kane's enticing combination of size and skill he has realized very little of his potential. Kane's career best is 30 goals (3 years ago) and his second best is 19 goals. From what he has show so far he is at best a 50-60 point guy when healthy and he could always be a cancer in the dressing room. I would not give up much for a guy like that with attitude problems because it is too much of a risk. IMHO chances are that he will continue to be a similar type of player rather than all of a sudden becoming a good team guy. Kane is going to be 24 this summer so there is not much time left to use the excuse that he is young and immature. If the price were low enough I'd take a chance on him but I don'd see Winnipeg moving him for a 2nd rounder and a B level prospect. Then comes the question of what if it all goes to shit for him again in a years time, will there be much interest in 2 more years of his 5.25 cap hit then? If Kane ever is going to fulfill his potential I think his chances are much better in a non-Canadian market where he can be out from under the microscope.

As for Yakupov, he seems to be getting worse. 5 goals and a -24 in 52 games this season. Again only a fool would pay Edmonton anything they would ever accept for him so they might as well just hang onto him and hope he can somehow turn in around. At least in Yakupov's case he is still quite young and could turn it around. Hindsight is 20/20 but I'm thinking Edmonton should not have brought him into the NHL so fast. He could end up being one of the biggest bust in history. Lots of players from that draft doing much better than him so far.

Kane is having the surgery done so he's out for the year. That would kill any immediate interest that the Habs would have had.

I wonder if Kane's sudden decision to have surgery is his final FU to the Jets?

Guest Stogey24

Kane is having the surgery done so he's out for the year. That would kill any immediate interest that the Habs would have had.

What a mess of a situation

TSN mentioned something about Fucale for Cody Franson... and some Jagr to habs talk.

http://www.tsn.ca/trade-talk-could-jagr-join-the-habs-1.201193

But we need to dump salary for this to work dont we? And I dont think the Leafs wants to take over any more bad contracts since theyre full of them already.

TSN mentioned something about Fucale for Cody Franson... and some Jagr to habs talk.

http://www.tsn.ca/trade-talk-could-jagr-join-the-habs-1.201193

But we need to dump salary for this to work dont we? And I dont think the Leafs wants to take over any more bad contracts since theyre full of them already.

The Fucale for Franson thing is just speculation (more like a random thought) from a writer at The Hockey News, not TSN. I don't see the Habs wanting to move Fucale in the division. As for Jagr, the agent said there was interest in him signing years ago. Nothing to do with the present. TSN is really stretching by putting either of these things in a current trade talk piece.

The Habs do have some money to work with and could take Franson on without sending salary the other way. Jagr (who has hit his bonuses meaning he's a $5.5 M cap hit, no longer $3.5 M) would be another story though.

They have known he was hurt since October and have been playing him 20 minutes a game.

The whole season has been an FU to Kane.

How is playing Kane any disrespect to the player? If the injury was serious it would be in the best interest of the team and player to opt for the surgery right away. As far as I understand it, Kane was choosing to play. I doubt the team would or could force him into the lineup.

They have known he was hurt since October and have been playing him 20 minutes a game.

The whole season has been an FU to Kane.

I think this situation has gotten out of hand. Probably if the throwing the equip into the shower happened, and the benching for wearing the wrong clothes happened, then we may have a situation where Kane says ya know I am playing injured, why am I doing that for you bunch of batards, I am going to look after myself and to hell with you all. This will probably be a trade in the summer, and we should be front and center to get him. Read CCs post to see why he has nailed it in my opinion.

I think this situation has gotten out of hand. Probably if the throwing the equip into the shower happened, and the benching for wearing the wrong clothes happened, then we may have a situation where Kane says ya know I am playing injured, why am I doing that for you bunch of batards, I am going to look after myself and to hell with you all. This will probably be a trade in the summer, and we should be front and center to get him. Read CCs post to see why he has nailed it in my opinion.

That's exactly right IMHO. Whatever his infractions, Kane has been a 'team player' by playing - and playing well - through injury all season long. When his teammates reacted to his violations of the dress-code by throwing them under the bus, he reacted in kind: "screw you, I'm not playing through pain for you pr**ks any longer."

The bridges have been burned. I'll be stunned if he plays another game in the Peg.

Sometimes a situation isn't right for a young player. He would be better off somewhere else. There are some players who wear out their welcomes like Ryan Kesler and succeed with a change of scenery. I think what's more elusive, and the catergory Kane falls under is the guy who is dragged down by a market. The only player I can think of that fits this bill is Luongo in FL.

That's exactly right IMHO. Whatever his infractions, Kane has been a 'team player' by playing - and playing well - through injury all season long. When his teammates reacted to his violations of the dress-code by throwing them under the bus, he reacted in kind: "screw you, I'm not playing through pain for you pr**ks any longer."

The bridges have been burned. I'll be stunned if he plays another game in the Peg.

:thumbs_up:

The Fucale for Franson thing is just speculation (more like a random thought) from a writer at The Hockey News, not TSN. I don't see the Habs wanting to move Fucale in the division.

Counterpoint: If the Leafs want him, he's pretty much guaranteed to bust. Trade him now.

Vermette seems like a popular guess for who Bergevin may be after.

What would be Coyotes asking price be, for a 44 pt/season rental, with 800+games under his belt and in 58 playoff games he is 0.3 ppg.

A prospect and mid round pick?

Counterpoint: If the Leafs want him, he's pretty much guaranteed to bust. Trade him now.

Yes Trizzak that is very good barometer, anyone you get from the leafs you can turn into something, anyone who goes to Trawna will be a loser. Yes I like that. :thumbs_up:

Vermette seems like a popular guess for who Bergevin may be after.

What would be Coyotes asking price be, for a 44 pt/season rental, with 800+games under his belt and in 58 playoff games he is 0.3 ppg.

A prospect and mid round pick?

He's believed to be the top forward on the market. The asking price is a 2nd + a good prospect with some thinking they could get a 1st rounder. I'm a bit skeptical on them getting a 1st but something close to a Vanek-type return is likely.

I have been going through rosters looking for names that MIGHT be a little cheaper and have not been mentioned by someone, and just maybe some value to the Habs. i will throw Kontiola and Anisimov out there for your displeasure.

What about Martin Hanzal? He's a big dude who likes to hit. Kind of a band aid though

I had him in my pool. He's a reliable but stale offensive player. He's also good to be injured 10-20 games a year, minimum. I would say that he's a small upgrage over Lars Eller as a third line center.