Jump to content

Recommended Posts

  • Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I’m happy about this and I hope we go back to in your face forecheck hockey.    I also hope the brutal decisions like no KK in OT are done   Also looking forward to better lines and D

I sure as &@%#!!! hope so. It was Julien’s refusal or inability to change the D, the lines, PP, PK, etcetera that got him —deservedly— fired. I feel bad for CJ but I love this move. 

HOLY SH*T. This is a MAJOR shocker - most organizations would wait longer. (Although I guess you can argue that timing has to be pro-rated in a shortened season).   I have a lot of respect f

1 hour ago, DON said:

At least this should be a real change, Julien -Therrien seemed too similar.

Except that Therrien used the blender approach for setting lines and defence pairings, there was no stability. Julien, on the other hand, was reluctant to make any changes at all.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

HOLY SH*T. This is a MAJOR shocker - most organizations would wait longer. (Although I guess you can argue that timing has to be pro-rated in a shortened season).

 

I have a lot of respect for both men and am sort of sorry to see them go. (I will always love Muller for 1993). On the other hand, I also have a ton of respect for the no-BS attitude that canned them because the team has been under-performing. Succeed or you are gone. That’s the right attitude.

 

It will be fascinating to see how the team responds and what changes Ducharme makes. I’m betting a reshuffling of the D-corps to reward mobility is job one.

I sure as &@%#!!! hope so. It was Julien’s refusal or inability to change the D, the lines, PP, PK, etcetera that got him —deservedly— fired. I feel bad for CJ but I love this move. 

  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, PMAC said:

I sure as &@%#!!! hope so. It was Julien’s refusal or inability to change the D, the lines, PP, PK, etcetera that got him —deservedly— fired. I feel bad for CJ but I love this move. 

 

I think the change will help. I like the new bench configuration too.

 

That said, the more I think about it, the more I think the Habs are relying on too many inexperienced guys to have absolutely key roles on a team that is supposed to be in "win now" mode.

 

-A sophomore C as your #1; a guy who has never done anything in the NHL as your #2-3 C;

-A raw rookie being an important puck-mover on your back end;

-A head coach who has never been a head coach at the professional level

-an assistant coach who has never done any coaching in the NHL

 

It's hard for me too believe that all that inexperience will not come back to bite us if we do end up making a run.

 

Conversely, the reason the team struggled in Julien's twilight was because the veterans - from Price on down the salary chain - were not performing. What remains unclear is why there were not. The optimistic interpretation is that they disagreed with the approach, the systems and philosophy, Julien was taking. The pessimistic view is that their noses were out of joint because they felt usurped by newcomers: Anderson and Toffoli pushing Gally, Danault, and tatr down the pecking order; Suzuki supplanting Danault; Allen encroaching on Price.

 

If the vets were upset for the latter reason, then all is lost, because that shows that they are committed to feathering their own nests rather than WINNING with the best team possible.

 

Time will tell.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree with your views, CC. I'm not convinced we are a Cup contender, even with new coaching. Promising young players, but certainly not experienced. Maybe more so next year or the year after, but I really expected this year to be too early. And then they had the hot start ...

 

As for inexperienced coaching, Keefe has done well in Toronto, but he does have Hakstol for support. We'll have to wait to see what Ducharme's team looks like.

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

I agree with your views, CC. I'm not convinced we are a Cup contender, even with new coaching. Promising young players, but certainly not experienced. Maybe more so next year or the year after, but I really expected this year to be too early. And then they had the hot start ...

 

As for inexperienced coaching, Keefe has done well in Toronto, but he does have Hakstol for support. We'll have to wait to see what Ducharme's team looks like.

 

The problem is that Weber is declining and so, from all appearances, is #31. Their window is closing and it’s far from clear that it will not slam shut before the windows of Suzuki, KK, Romanov, and any additional young gun we bring up open wide. I think this explains MB’s sense of urgency. Next year, we lose Allen and may not be able to scare up a comparable replacement, and Weber and Price (and Petry) will be one year older. This season could well prove to be THE season.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I wouldn't expect a whole lot of big system changes.  Interim promotions usually result in minor tweaks, not overhauls and with the schedule being condensed like it is, full practice days are going to be limited the rest of the way.  That's going to make it hard to make major adjustments.

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

 

The problem is that Weber is declining and so, from all appearances, is #31. Their window is closing and it’s far from clear that it will not slam shut before the windows of Suzuki, KK, Romanov, and any additional young gun we bring up open wide. I think this explains MB’s sense of urgency. Next year, we lose Allen and may not be able to scare up a comparable replacement, and Weber and Price (and Petry) will be one year older. This season could well prove to be THE season.

It’s quite true that the Price/Weber window is closing. My question is whether it’s closing faster than the Suzuki/Kotkaniemi/Romanov window is opening. And in reality we don’t know yet.

 

Yes, this could be the year. Or maybe next year.

 

But, 12 months ago, how many of us would have thought that was even remotely possible?

Link to post
Share on other sites

I don’t mind the Julien firing but would have hoped we would have a solidified replacement for him. Is Ducharme an interim, or is he the new coach? I hate having interim coaches, and have hated them on every team I have seen do it (can think of LA, Anaheim, Columbus, perhaps Philly).
 

I would have been more excited had we had, as an organization, a full open market of possibilities as Julien’s replacement.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, xXx..CK..xXx said:

I don’t mind the Julien firing but would have hoped we would have a solidified replacement for him. Is Ducharme an interim, or is he the new coach? I hate having interim coaches, and have hated them on every team I have seen do it (can think of LA, Anaheim, Columbus, perhaps Philly).
 

I would have been more excited had we had, as an organization, a full open market of possibilities as Julien’s replacement.  

 

Ducharme is interim for the rest of the season.  At that time, they'll either lift the tag or do a full search.

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

 

Ducharme is interim for the rest of the season.  At that time, they'll either lift the tag or do a full search.

 

I expect that the team will have success and start rolling and that Ducharme will get a longer-term contract before the season's out.

Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

I wouldn't expect a whole lot of big system changes.  Interim promotions usually result in minor tweaks, not overhauls and with the schedule being condensed like it is, full practice days are going to be limited the rest of the way.  That's going to make it hard to make major adjustments.


I expect DD to take control as if he were not interim. Take the bull by the horns so to speak. 
 

This is his chance to show who he is and why he should be head coach. 
 

He is known as an offensive coach I understand and I hope to see that. 
 

Not sure what Burrows brings

Link to post
Share on other sites


So MB obviously saw things that he didn’t like for a while. 
 

Same things that I was complaining about? Like why change your entire system that was winning and destroying all competition?

 

I wonder when MB knew that Julien had to go?

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:


I expect DD to take control as if he were not interim. Take the bull by the horns so to speak. 
 

This is his chance to show who he is and why he should be head coach. 
 

He is known as an offensive coach I understand and I hope to see that. 
 

Not sure what Burrows brings

Ducharme has a particular interest in PP, and there is certainly nowhere to go but up on that front.

 

Burrows spent two years as an assistant in Laval before moving to the parent team for this season. He's not an addition as such, but I think they see promise in him for the future. (And, yes, he speaks French, too.)

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

Ducharme has a particular interest in PP, and there is certainly nowhere to go but up on that front.

 

Burrows spent two years as an assistant in Laval before moving to the parent team for this season. He's not an addition as such, but I think they see promise in him for the future. (And, yes, he speaks French, too.)

 

All I can say about Burrows is that in Vancouver he is widely regarded as a sure-fire coaching prospect. Of course, so were Muller and Carbo. But he's like that - a former player who strikes everyone who deals with him as coaching material. Two years of AHL marinading, so bringing him up does not seem unreasonable.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

Ducharme has a particular interest in PP, and there is certainly nowhere to go but up on that front.

 

Burrows spent two years as an assistant in Laval before moving to the parent team for this season. He's not an addition as such, but I think they see promise in him for the future. (And, yes, he speaks French, too.)


I didn’t know that about Burrows. Any idea what he coached? Like Muller was special teams. 
 

Edit for CC post above. Sounds like a perfect fit

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, illWill said:

I am quite happy about this move. 

 

That's it, that's the post

Short and to the point! :gohabsgo:

Link to post
Share on other sites

CJ and Muller were unable to fix the clear special teams problems, both the PK and PP, and that led to Today's move.  It's really that simple. 

 

This team is good 5v5 and is being killed by poor special teams.

Link to post
Share on other sites

The play of Price is a huge factor in the collapse of this team. He needs to earn his pay. No coaching change will fix that, unless its a goalie coach.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, zumpano21 said:

Burrows coming up from Laval.

 

This guy might know a thing or two about cycling the puck down low.

At the very least he can teach them the proper way to bite an opponent.

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, brobin said:

I think Julien needs a big bruising team that has so much offensive talent they score anyway... this team is too small and is built for speed... he was better suited to the old bruins.

 

hopefully we can get a coach with a bit more balance... I think if we try to be too open we are going to look like the oilers.. defensive crap that loses games.. 

still too small???? Really?????

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

 

You mean like Michelle Therrien or Allain Vigneault??  I guess they weren't available. Julien is a good coach but sometimes a change is required and Julien had been there a while, they can always bring him back in 4 or 5 years. 

Jacque Martin?  Carbo?  From the one’s available the only one I can say with 100% confidence that he won’t be brought back is Cunneyworth.

Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, BCHabnut said:

The play of Price is a huge factor in the collapse of this team. He needs to earn his pay. No coaching change will fix that, unless its a goalie coach.

I agree Price’s play has been a factor, but the team giving up grade-A chances frequently doesn’t help.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




×
×
  • Create New...